Search this Thread

Old 05-24-10, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts
Charlie's Angels -- the reboot (ABC) -- premieres 9/22/11

ABC closing in on 'Charlie's Angels'
Network close to deal on pilot order
By MICHAEL SCHNEIDER

ABC is close to giving a pilot order to a modern version of the classic 1970s TV actioner "Charlie’s Angels."

Josh Friedman, who recently adapted the "Terminator" franchise for his Fox series "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles," is onboard to write and exec produce the new "Angels."

Also involved are original "Charlie’s Angels" producer Leonard Goldberg, who launched the series with Aaron Spelling in 1976, as well as Drew Barrymore, who starred in and produced the 2000 film version and its sequel. Sony Pictures TV is the studio.

Insiders said that ABC Entertainment Group topper Steve McPherson is particularly high on this project.

Networks of late have found that it’s frequently a challenge to take on iconic franchises — and several recent reboots, such as this fall's "Melrose Place," have fallen short.

But ABC is riding high this fall with its adaptation of another such property, "V," which bowed to boffo numbers. And insiders note that most of those other properties had laid dormant for some time, while "Charlie's Angeles" was just recently a strong movie franchise. Plus, there's the part where "Charlie's Angels" will make some noise by finding three new ass-kicking female stars.

Sony is also busy adapting another 1970s Spelling (and Goldberg-produced) property, "Fantasy Island" — but as a reality show, along with Mark Burnett. No U.S. network is attached as of yet to that project, which was announced last month at the Mipcom TV confab.

The original "Charlie’s Angels" ran from 1976-81 and was back in the news this summer following the death of original star Farrah Fawcett.

Spelling attempted a revival in 1988, sealing a deal to produce a version called "Angels 88" for Fox. That show never got off the ground, but it eventually led to Spelling’s deal to produce the original "Beverly Hills 90210" (now also enjoying a revival, via the CW).

The franchise then lay dormant until 2000, when the McG-helmed "Charlie’s Angels" feature, starring Barrymore, Lucy Liu and Cameron Diaz, was a box office hit. Movie spawned a second edition, "Charlie’s Angels: Full Throttle."

It also led to an earlier attempt at a TV series revival, in 2004. That version was written for ABC (again, through Sony) by a pre-"Lost" Carlton Cuse and John Wirth and given a script-plus-penalty order but ultimately didn’t go to pilot.

This time around, a pilot is expected to be greenlit. Friedman, Goldberg and Barrymore will exec produce with Nancy Juvonen.

Friedman’s other credits include co-writing the features "War of the Worlds" and "The Black Dahlia."

Beyond "Angels" and "Fantasy Island," Goldberg was an exec producer on "Starsky and Hutch," "Hart to Hart" and "Family."

The new "Charlie’s Angels" is expected to be geared toward a new generation while paying homage to the past.
Old 05-24-10, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

re: Charlie's Angels -- the reboot (ABC) -- premieres 9/22/11

'Charlie's Angels' recruits showrunners
ABC, Sony Pictures TV enlist Millar, Gough

By CYNTHIA LITTLETON

ABC and Sony Pictures TV have enlisted new operatives for their planned reboot of "Charlie's Angels."

Former "Smallville" showrunners Miles Millar and Alfred Gough have been brought in to take a fresh stab at the script and serve as showrunners and exec producers should a pilot be greenlighted. ABC and Sony initiated the revival project in November with writer-producer Josh Friedman, late of Fox's "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles" ( Daily Variety , Nov. 13).

Leonard Goldberg, who produced the original "Charlie's Angels" skein with Aaron Spelling, remains on board as an exec producer, along with Drew Barrymore and her producing partner Nancy Juvonen. Barrymore co-starred with Cameron Diaz and Lucy Liu in two feature renditions of the franchise, 2000's "Charlie's Angels" and 2003's "Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle." Her Flower Films banner produced both pics with Sony.

The original "Charlie's Angels," about three femme private eyes who are dispatched to solve exotic cases by a secretive boss, ran on ABC from 1976 to 1981.

Millar and Gough inked an overall deal with Sony Pictures TV last month.

After exiting "Smallville" at the close of the 2007-08 season, the two were highly sought-after as showrunners but the longtime partners opted to focus on features. The pair produced last year's "Hannah Montana: The Movie" and penned the screenplay for 2008's "The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor."
Old 05-24-10, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

paging Katee Sackhoff
Old 05-24-10, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
[B]After exiting "Smallville" at the close of the 2007-08 season, the two were highly sought-after as showrunners but the longtime partners opted to focus on features. The pair produced last year's "Hannah Montana: The Movie" and penned the screenplay for 2008's "The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor."
I don't know why, but that last paragraph made me chuckle.
Old 05-24-10, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Let's see Angels reboot, need 3 hot girls as your leads...

Please hire Katie Cassidy. If you do ABC, you guarantee my viewership.

Gough and Millar..meh, I've would have really seen Friedman work on this since I enjoyed his work on Terminator.

Last edited by DJariya; 05-24-10 at 02:11 PM.
Old 05-24-10, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
I don't know why, but that last paragraph made me chuckle.
Exactly, Gough and Millar quit Smallville because they wanted to write and direct movies and that's what they accomplished! The Mummy was okay, but Hannah Montana? I was more relieved when they left the show because they jerked fans around way too long with the show's arc.
Old 05-24-10, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DJariya
Please hire Katie Cassidy. If you so ABC, you guatantee my viewership.
I'll second that.
Old 05-24-10, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If Barrymore is involved, don't be surprised if they don't carry guns.
Old 05-24-10, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Millar and Gough are utter hacks. Smallville quickly became an exercise in frustration under their direction.
Old 05-24-10, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
Let's see Angels reboot, need 3 hot girls as your leads...

Please hire Katie Cassidy. If you do ABC, you guarantee my viewership.

Gough and Millar..meh, I've would have really seen Friedman work on this since I enjoyed his work on Terminator.
+1

I hope they don't make it too comic bookish like in the movies and I hope they develop the characters more than in the original show.
Old 05-25-10, 12:12 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like this idea better than the movie reboot of CA that was (is?) being developed. I think this could work as a series again if done right. The main key will be for the show not to go all serious and dark but not for it to too comical like Drew's movies. Alias would be a good tone, IMO.
Old 05-25-10, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They forgot to mention the Asian Charlie's Angels TV series that was made around the time of the re-makes in china.
Old 05-25-10, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Put in Evangeline Lilly from Lost. It's not like she'll need any talent except for looking hot.
Old 05-25-10, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Drexl
If Barrymore is involved, don't be surprised if they don't carry guns.
Even when they did carry guns, they always seemed to "shoot the tires" every time!
Old 05-25-10, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was going to come in here and post how bad this would probably be, but with Friedman attached it has potential to be pretty good. After Friedman's work on Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles I'll give anything he does shot.

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Put in Evangeline Lilly from Lost. It's not like she'll need any talent except for looking hot.
Ugh. I hope she doesn't get attached to this. I couldn't stand Kate. She was my least favourite character on Lost.
Old 05-26-10, 08:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kstublen
I was going to come in here and post how bad this would probably be, but with Friedman attached it has potential to be pretty good. After Friedman's work on Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles I'll give anything he does shot.

Ugh. I hope she doesn't get attached to this. I couldn't stand Kate. She was my least favourite character on Lost.
People don't seem to understand that it wasn't Evangeline's fault that the Kate character was written so poorly. Still, Lily is hot and a decent actress.
Old 10-27-10, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk God

ABC producing Pilot for New Charlie's Angels from creators of Smallville

http://www.deadline.com/2010/10/abcs...ilot/#comments

EXCLUSIVE: After a year in development, ABC's Charlie's Angels reboot is headed to pilot production. The Sony TV-produced project was originally set up at ABC with a pilot commitment last November with Josh Friedman as a writer. It didn’t go to pilot stage and, after the upfronts, it was put in redevelopment with new writers, Smallville creators/executive producers Al Gough and Miles Millar. Back then, it was one of 5 projects put on fast-track development under previous ABC president Steve McPherson. After McPherson's successor Paul Lee took over in August, there has been chatter that he liked Gough and Millar's script. Top casting director John Papsidera recently was quietly tapped to start some exploratory search for the leads. The project just released an official breakdown and I hear it has locked in Miami as location for the shoot, eyed for January. Gough and Millar are executive producing with Leonard Goldberg, executive producer of the original series, Drew Barrymore and Nancy Juvonen. The three also produced the two Charlie's Angels movies that starred Barrymore. So far, Charlie's Angels has followed closely the successful reboot of another popcorn 1970s series, Hawaii Five-0, which also went through two cycles of development until its second script by Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci and Peter Lenkov was picked up to pilot. It went on to become a series, which was recently picked up for a full season. Now let the guessing begin who the new TV angels will be?

They are only shooting a Pilot for a potential air next season as of right now.

My casting suggestion for one of the Angels (Katie Cassidy from Melrose Place and a mini arc on Gossip Girl this season):

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2010-10-27

Fulfills all the criteria of an Angel:

1) Smoking hot
2) Blonde

and as a bonus, a decent actress.

Last edited by DJariya; 10-27-10 at 11:51 PM.
Old 10-28-10, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: ABC producing Pilot for New Charlie's Angels from creators of Smallville

How about Peyton List or Jordana Brewster for the brunette?
Old 10-28-10, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Axeramm
How about Peyton List or Jordana Brewster for the brunette?
and especially Peyton List since she rarely appears on Mad Men anyways.
Old 10-28-10, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Gough and Millar? I guess their movie careers are over after one film. No offense, but I really hate them after what they did to Smallville.
Old 01-20-11, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Robert Wagner joins new 'Charlie's Angels'
Friday, January 14 2011, 9:02am EST
By Catriona Wightman, TV Reporter

Robert Wagner has reportedly signed up for a role in the upcoming reboot of Charlie's Angels.

ABC recently announced that it has ordered a pilot of the show and New York Magazine claims that Wagner has already joined the project.

The 80-year-old actor, who is best known for his role in Hart To Hart, is expected to provide the voice of Charlie.

Rumors have suggested that Wagner landed the part because he has a stake in the Charlie's Angels franchise. He unsuccessfully tried to sue Sony and Columbia when they made movie adaptations of the show.

The ABC project is being executive produced by Smallville creators Miles Millar and Al Gough.

Annie Ilonzeh to Star in ABC's 'Charlie's Angels'
Published: January 20, 2011 @ 4:28 am
By Jeff Sneider

"General Hospital" star Annie Ilonzeh has reportedly landed one of the three leads in ABC's highly-anticipated reboot of "Charlie's Angels," according to Deadline.

Drew Barrymore's Flower Films and Sony Pictures TV are behind the Miami-set pilot, which finds a new trio of sexy private eyes working for a mysterious man of means (Robert Wagner).

Ilonzeh will play Kate, an athletic yet brainy ex-cop who happens to be a master of martial arts. While the character is described as the most serious of the three Angels, she also knows how to have fun when the moment allows.

Three Caucasian actresses -- Farrah Fawcett, Kate Jackson and Jaclyn Smith -- starred in the original cast of the hit '70s series.

Ilonzeh recently appeared on another series reboot, the CW's "Melrose Place," as well as HBO's "Entourage." She's represented by Vincent Cirrincione Associates.
Old 01-20-11, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Robert Wagner as Charlie would be pretty cool.

Looked up this Annie Ilonzeh chick. Meh. Doesn't do anything for me.
Old 01-20-11, 10:23 AM

I LOVE Robert Wagner for the voice of Charlie.
Old 01-20-11, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I agree with the suggestions for Robert Wagner for Charlie.

Here is flavorwire.com's dream castings
http://flavorwire.com/142638/we-cast...gels-tv-remake
Old 01-21-11, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Robert Wagner was a great choice.

Annie Ilonzeh...not so much. Do the networks learn nothing from the failures of this season? Undercovers goes with unknowns with weird names to headline a show similar to Charlie's Angels and tanks in the ratings. You could argue that the quality of the show had something to do with it, but really the ratings weren't there to begin with.

You don't go with no-names for leads in your big shows! Maybe they can get away with it if they find big names for the other 2 Angels and Bosley.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.