Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Chuck - "Chuck Versus the Subway" + "Chuck Versus the Ring: Part 2" - 5/24/10

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-10, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Chuck - "Chuck Versus the Subway" + "Chuck Versus the Ring: Part 2" - 5/24/10

Was this the season finale?
Old 05-25-10, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Chuck - "Chuck Versus the Subway" + "Chuck Versus the Ring: Part 2" - 5/24/10

Originally Posted by DJariya
Here's what I don't get, how are Jeff and Lester "fugitives" according to that news report? Morgan was seen by everyone ,including the authorities, holding the C-4 that Shaw planted before the timer went on and it went off.
Apparently LAPD is assuming that Jeffster planted the C4. Why the CIA doesn't disabuse them of that idea, I don't know -- even if they don't want people to find out that a rogue agent did it, you'd think they could scapegoat al Qaeda.
Old 05-25-10, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Was this the season finale?
Yes
Old 05-25-10, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Loved it. Almost every aspect of it. So it looks like he will be a secret agent again. Nice.
Old 05-25-10, 10:24 PM

Fantastic episode...all around. Great music too.

For some reason, Mary McDonnel was the first name that popped in my head for Chuck's mom (after she answered the phone)....but i like the Lynda Carter idea too...

Can't wait for next season...
Old 05-26-10, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

So the 2nd episode was not as good as the previous one, but still good and they have set things up nicely for the next season. Hope Bakula's charaacter is alive. Casey's daughter is so hot !!
Old 05-26-10, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by fumanstan
That's the first thing I thought of; that he'll be brought back with that cellular regeneration stuff.
If I'm not mistaken (I already erased the show), Chuck's dad's watch flashed when he was shot. So I believe he is still alive.

I thought this show was just OK the first season, but it has really picked. Next year should be great.
Old 05-26-10, 07:43 AM

Unless Chuck decided to just leave the body of his dead father lying on the floor, his dad's definitely dead. I'm pretty sure he and Ellie would want to go back and get it for the funeral. If the body was mysteriously missing, the toast at the end should have been different.

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
If I'm not mistaken (I already erased the show), Chuck's dad's watch flashed when he was shot. So I believe he is still alive.

I thought this show was just OK the first season, but it has really picked. Next year should be great.
I thought his watch broke when he fell to the ground after being shot.

The Buy More explosion scene was laughably bad. Showing Chuck diving to avoid the explosion was one of the worst effects I've seen on TV in awhile. Even worse than the driving scenes in Justified.
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
It did, but I took that to mean that the watch was busted...that Chuck would have to keep pursuing Shaw to get a functional Governor...
Old 05-26-10, 08:07 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
It did, but I took that to mean that the watch was busted...that Chuck would have to keep pursuing Shaw to get a functional Governor...
I always thought that the dad's governor only worked for his intersect, v1.0, not Chuck's current v2.0, that's why he had to create another one... I mean, if the dad's governor worked for his son, who was having headaches and going crazy, don't you think he would have offered to let Chuck wear his while he was working on another?

with that said, I do think that Chuck's dad is dead.
Old 05-26-10, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I too think Stephen Bartowski is dead.

Also, RIP Buy More. Apparently I'm the only one that enjoyed your scenes.

Fantastic end to a fantastic season and I can't wait for fall!
Old 05-26-10, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Good stuff!

I also enjoyed the first hour much more than the last. There was a lot more tension throughout that episode and the pacing was faster as well.

I hate to say it, but I enjoyed Routh's evil run. I still don't think he's that great of an actor, but it allowed him to show some range.

I was very surprised to see the twist that it was actually a CIA agent this entire time. Granted he was working for the Ring, but I liked that and they were able to give huge weight to the Ring very quickly despite it feeling less threatening than Fulcrum this entire season.

Pappa B. I think he's dead too unfortunately. Ashame too since I thought his character fit so well in the Chuck universe. It's like they couldn't have gotten somebody better to play the part. Here's hoping they're as successful with Mama B.

I'm okay with Ellie finding out. What has worked so well for this show is that each of the characters that finds out does so in a manner consistent with everything we know about their chracter to date. And none of that has been cliche responses. Ellie freaked out, but her reaction was more that they knew and she didn't. Likewise, she then moved on to - as she always has - worry about her brother.

I hope Morgan and Alex end up working as a couple. He deserves some semblance of normal. Casey won't be happy though.

Jeff and Lester on the run. I'd be okay if Jeff, Lester and Big Mike were done on the show along with the Buy More. Based on an interview with Fedak I don't think that will happen, but I feel like now would be a good stopping point. However, Chuck always seem to work characters into the plot in a believable way, so I doubt it will be as simple as the Buy More getting reopened.

I liked the twist at the end. Here's looking forward to the fall season.
Old 05-26-10, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Xander
I too think Stephen Bartowski is dead.

Fantastic end to a fantastic season and I can't wait for fall!
I hope the Buy More is rebuilt because the Buy More scenes are one the best aspects of the show.
Old 05-26-10, 09:59 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I love the Buy More scenes... it's what sets Chuck apart from your typical spy show. If you aren't a fan of the Buy More scenes, then IMO you're not a fan of Chuck.
Old 05-26-10, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This show is getting as bad as Heroes -- nobody stays dead. I mean look at the posts in this thread -- a few people are expressing their hope that Chuck's dad isn't really dead. Really? How can his death have any meaning when the show has conditioned you to expect him to somehow survive? Christ, so many shows do this these days (Chuck , Heroes, Lost, 24, just off the top of my head) that killing off people is losing all of its dramatic impact. This has got to stop.

Also, the Ring takes over the entire US intelligence network with little or no explanation? And Chuck rounds up all the bad guys with one little video. And they regain the entire US intelligence network just like that? I know I'm supposed to turn off my brain when watching this show, and maybe I'm being overly-critical because of the Lost finale, but Jesus the story lines on this show could be written by a kindergartner.
Old 05-26-10, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
I love the Buy More scenes... it's what sets Chuck apart from your typical spy show. If you aren't a fan of the Buy More scenes, then IMO you're not a fan of Chuck.
I don't have a problem with the Buy More scenes, but since Chuck, Morgan, Casey, et al essentially have had little-to-nothing to do with Buy More for a while, those scenes seem really disconnected from everything else that's going on.
Old 05-26-10, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Flave
This show is getting as bad as Heroes -- nobody stays dead. I mean look at the posts in this thread -- a few people are expressing their hope that Chuck's dad isn't really dead. Really? How can his death have any meaning when the show has conditioned you to expect him to somehow survive? Christ, so many shows do this these days (Chuck , Heroes, Lost, 24, just off the top of my head) that killing off people is losing all of its dramatic impact. This has got to stop.

Also, the Ring takes over the entire US intelligence network with little or no explanation? And Chuck rounds up all the bad guys with one little video. And they regain the entire US intelligence network just like that? I know I'm supposed to turn off my brain when watching this show, and maybe I'm being overly-critical because of the Lost finale, but Jesus the story lines on this show could be written by a kindergartner.
Huh? Some of us said we hope he's not dead, but we think he's dead. There is a difference. Plus, the only person to "die" and come back was Bryce. Heck, Morgan even pointed out and also made fun of Shaw being alive because there was no body.

As for the Ring, it's been known for some time that they have agents on the inside. Remember, they're an offshoot of the government, not some other international organizations. Fulcrum even had a guy on the inside when Bryce woke up.

Last edited by Superman07; 05-26-10 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-26-10, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
I am a fan of all the characters except the Buy More characters. They don't fit and they bring the show down every time they are on screen. We get it. They are stupid.
Old 05-26-10, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe they'll do a reverse-intersect type thing with Chuck's dad and his tech will facilitate his consciousness being transferred onto a computer and he'll continue to communicate with Chuck Orion-style. The governor flashing could indicate something like that.... like one last backup.
Old 05-26-10, 12:06 PM

The Buy More presents an opportunity for 1) providing a normal life cover to the gang 2)Some light hearted comedy during some not so serious comedy. Of late Chuck has been moving VERY fast in terms of story development, so the buy more has not fit it; but this pace cannot be kept forever. When the pace slows down, but more, jeffters and big mike come in.

They finally gave Ellie somehing interesting to do. I was crushing on Ellie starting from the second last episode where Awesome was telliing her about Chuck being with the CIA and she was looking at him with her big eyes.

Anyone know why the general and Casey were arrested ?
Old 05-26-10, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chuck is not 24 nor Alias... Its still a comedy at its heart so it doesnt need to set everything up. The plot holes and not taking itself serious is part of the reality the show has created.
Old 05-26-10, 02:24 PM

But it still has remarkable continuity...Are there many plot holes ?
Old 05-26-10, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bralph
The Buy More explosion scene was laughably bad. Showing Chuck diving to avoid the explosion was one of the worst effects I've seen on TV in awhile. Even worse than the driving scenes in Justified.
The whole scale was off. Not only was it obviously green screen, it was obviously miniatures. It was bad.

Originally Posted by Xander
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I don't have a problem with the Buy More scenes, but since Chuck, Morgan, Casey, et al essentially have had little-to-nothing to do with Buy More for a while, those scenes seem really disconnected from everything else that's going on.
Originally Posted by riley_dude
I am a fan of all the characters except the Buy More characters. They don't fit and they bring the show down every time they are on screen. We get it. They are stupid.
I love the Buy More Scenes, I just think it worked better when Chuck, Morgan, Anna and Casey were all there and Buy More was the cover. It has changed to just a Big Mike, Jeff and Lester sub-plot every show.
Old 05-26-10, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Comparing Chuck to Heroes is blasphemy!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.