Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Lost -- 2 1/2 Hour Series Finale -- "The End Part 1 & 2" -- 05/23/10

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: What did you think of the Lost Series Finale?
Loved It! Fantastic Way to End the show!
34.92%
Thought it was Good
29.37%
Meh, Thought it was so-so
16.93%
Hated it. Disappointing way to end such a great show
12.70%
Screw Lost, I'm selling by DVD's/BR's and will never look back!
6.08%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Lost -- 2 1/2 Hour Series Finale -- "The End Part 1 & 2" -- 05/23/10

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-15, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: Lost -- 2 1/2 Hour Series Finale -- "The End Part 1 & 2" -- 05/23/10

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
I've said it once and I'll say it again... the finale and legacy of Lost would have been better accepted if Cuse/Lindelof had STFU during the run of the show instead of fanning the fanboy flames. They kept saying "everything means something", but in the end it didn't. And they got butt hurt over the outcry.
I stopped listening to them when they stated "The connections in the flashbacks are just 'easter eggs', don't read into them" which was around season 3. That was the laziest easy out ever. Enjoyed the rest of the show.
Old 03-30-15, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

In all honesty, I loved every season. I can admit there were several episodes that sucked though.
In the end it was one of the most intriguing television programs I had watched at the time.
It wasn't perfect, and a lot of times I was left with more questions than answers, but what series is perfect?
Old 03-30-15, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm in the camp that loved the show from beginning to end. And most people I know that watched this show loved it too (just look at the poll results in this thread, majority liked the ending). I mentioned this before but I feel the people that lived and breathed this show 24/7 were the most disappointed.

I feel the show answered many of the main mysteries but the answers are pretty lame, like what were the numbers or what is the smoke monster.
Old 03-30-15, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
There were very few people that outright hated the show and continued to post. Most would fall into a 'Lost was one of the greatest shows for either 4 or 5 years' mindset depending on when each person felt the decline started.
This.

I'm a Lost fanboy, but I'm not a fan of Season 6. I've probably watched it only twice.

But I do love the series finale. It was almost perfect to me.
Old 03-30-15, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

I feel it's the same way when a person watches every trailer, tv spot, behind-the-scenes videos, and reads reviews before a movie is released. It basically ruins the experience of actually watching the movie.

In this case, someone who analyzed LOST to death 24/7 just over-saturated themselves with the show and there was little chance they would have enjoyed the finale. Of course, I don't expect someone to like every episode of their favorite tv show, but LOST was just in a whole other realm when it came to tv viewing.
Old 03-31-15, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by VHS?
In all honesty, I loved every season. I can admit there were several episodes that sucked though.
In the end it was one of the most intriguing television programs I had watched at the time.
It wasn't perfect, and a lot of times I was left with more questions than answers, but what series is perfect?
I loved every season, too. The show always drew me in and left me wanting more. Yes, some episodes were bad, but for the most part, it was a terrific show. I never missed an episode and didn't mind the endless questions at all.

That said, while no series is perfect, I think they marketed LOST in such a way that they encouraged viewers to look for easter eggs and mysteries and try to solve them. Remember the online games, etc? They knew it brought in viewers so they capitalized on that. The problem was, they clearly had no answers to at least 50% of those mysteries. And if anything disappoints me about the LOST experience, it's that they purposely lured us in by opening loops that they had no intention of closing, and that's sloppy storytelling.
Old 03-31-15, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
I think they marketed LOST in such a way that they encouraged viewers to look for easter eggs and mysteries and try to solve them. Remember the online games, etc? They knew it brought in viewers so they capitalized on that. The problem was, they clearly had no answers to at least 50% of those mysteries. And if anything disappoints me about the LOST experience, it's that they purposely lured us in by opening loops that they had no intention of closing, and that's sloppy storytelling.
That's my big complaint, too. I enjoyed the show immensely during its run, as well as the ongoing analysis for clues and hidden meanings.

But I still feel that viewers were mislead to believe answers would be coming, and for the most part the show did not deliver when it needed to at the end.
Whether the showrunners/writers ever intended to deliver answers is another story, but I believe there was an implied message that all (or most) would be revealed.
Old 03-31-15, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul3
I'm a Lost fanboy, but I'm not a fan of Season 6. I've probably watched it only twice.

But I do love the series finale. It was almost perfect to me.
I was one of the biggest detractors of season 6 when it aired. I felt the decline started in season 5, but I felt they still had the chops to pull it all together for the final season. I mean they argued for a very specific episode count and went on about how exact they needed it to be to tell what needed to be told. That brought some optimism to the proceedings.

However once 6 started airing and you get the Temple bullshit, introducing more bullshit vs. tying up loose ends, adding in more xy & z bullshit, toss in a dab of wtf is this bullshit, along the way, yet posters here kept defending it saying 'they'll tie it all together in the finale with a neat little bow.' Nope, turns out it was all just bullshit.

That's my beef with season 6. It was all filler bullshit that had nothing to do with anything until the finale. It's been awhile since I watched any of Lost, but I seem to recall thinking with some creative edits, the finale would have worked just as well as a season 5 finale. Season 6 was just such a waste of time.
Old 03-31-15, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

However once 6 started airing and you get the Temple bullshit, introducing more bullshit vs. tying up loose ends, adding in more xy & z bullshit, toss in a dab of wtf is this bullshit, along the way, yet posters here kept defending it saying 'they'll tie it all together in the finale with a neat little bow.' Nope, turns out it was all just bullshit.
That might be the best description of season 6 ever.
Old 03-31-15, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts

I was one of the biggest detractors of season 6 when it aired. I felt the decline started in season 5, but I felt they still had the chops to pull it all together for the final season. I mean they argued for a very specific episode count and went on about how exact they needed it to be to tell what needed to be told. That brought some optimism to the proceedings.

That's my beef with season 6. It was all filler bullshit that had nothing to do with anything until the finale. It's been awhile since I watched any of Lost, but I seem to recall thinking with some creative edits, the finale would have worked just as well as a season 5 finale. Season 6 was just such a waste of time.
This is pretty much sums it up. Season 6 was bad and I never understood why so much hate was specifically directed towards the finale. How anyone watching could have imagined that the finale would somehow redeem that entire season is mind boggling to me. I still get wound up every time I see Mark Pellegrino or Titus Welliver on tv because it just reminds me how much I hated all of the Jacob vs. MiB garbage, not to mention what they did to Locke. Furthermore, I still don't know what answers people are still waiting for. My problem was always that I didn't like the answers we got, rather than being upset about answers we didn't get.
Old 03-31-15, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Originally Posted by JuryDuty

That said, while no series is perfect, I think they marketed LOST in such a way that they encouraged viewers to look for easter eggs and mysteries and try to solve them. Remember the online games, etc? They knew it brought in viewers so they capitalized on that. The problem was, they clearly had no answers to at least 50% of those mysteries. And if anything disappoints me about the LOST experience, it's that they purposely lured us in by opening loops that they had no intention of closing, and that's sloppy storytelling.
And then they told us that the all of the mysteries and mythology they had been crafting weren't important because it was really about the characters the whole time.

Like the riveting tale of Jack's tattoo and the time Locke wandered onto a pot farm.
Old 03-31-15, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

When they introduced the Temple I started getting very nervous they had no idea of how to wrap the series up. That was the first inkling I had that season 6 was going to end very disappointingly for the fans that wanted the entire mythology tied together with a bow.
Old 01-07-17, 04:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Having finished watching all of LOST a while back, this show suffered from what is the inherent weakness of network television: Long seasons with too much filler and often turned into a repetitive cycle of another group of people travelling from one end of the island to another and back.

I think LOST would have been a much better show if the entire series was condensed into 4 thirteen episode cable seasons.

That said, I did enjoy the show quite a bit although a show I can't imagine ever viewing again due to the time commitment due to all the filler.
Old 01-07-17, 04:24 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

that is why I have the utmost respect for shows that knew the story they wanted to tell and chose to end with the audience wanting more. Spartacus, Breaking Bad, The Shield come to mind.
Old 01-07-17, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
that is why I have the utmost respect for shows that knew the story they wanted to tell and chose to end with the audience wanting more. Spartacus, Breaking Bad, The Shield come to mind.
The Wire. If you keep making shows until the ratings go down (which you can bet The Walking Dead's going to do) the quality will almost always suffer. The last few seasons of this were pretty bad just as in the case of the stayed-too-long-at-the-fair The Sopranos.
Old 01-08-17, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

That's what makes Lost's ending all the more laughable. They knew three years out they had a definite endpoint. 48 episodes to bring it home and instead they shat the bed.
Old 01-08-17, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
That's what makes Lost's ending all the more laughable. They knew three years out they had a definite endpoint. 48 episodes to bring it home and instead they shat the bed.
Exactly. Hell I remember them going back and forth with the studio to get an aditional 1-2 episodes for the final two seasons because they didn't have enough time to tell 'their story.'

I'll probably revisit it in a few years when my kids are old enough to watch.
Old 01-08-17, 11:38 AM

Loved all of it. Watched the entire series again recently.
Old 01-08-17, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Remember that Lost was still doing very well in the ratings when they announced that deal with ABC to end it after six seasons. The ratings slid over the last two seasons except for the final few episodes.

Supposedly the creative team had wanted to end it after five seasons but ABC insisted on six seasons when the deal was struck. I think the creative team knew that much of season six would end up being filler.
Old 01-09-17, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The end of S5 is my finale. A perfect loop punctuated by a white-out instead of black.
Old 01-09-17, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TerryW
Loved all of it. Watched the entire series again recently.
Same.

Watched the entire series with my 10 year old daughter last summer, she loved it.
Old 01-09-17, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
I'm a huge shield fan but it ran too long.
Old 01-09-17, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Remember that Lost was still doing very well in the ratings when they announced that deal with ABC to end it after six seasons. The ratings slid over the last two seasons except for the final few episodes.
I don't recall that, maybe it was a full 5th season that got broken in two?

At any rate that's almost worse. If they knew they have a full season of filler, why not spend that time tying up loose ends?
Old 01-09-17, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I'm a huge shield fan but it ran too long.
Maybe a little, but one of the great series finales of all time.
Old 02-05-19, 02:43 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Could Lost return to ABC? That is certainly a topic that interests new ABC chief Karey Burke.

Ahead of Burke’s debut TCA session as President of ABC Entertainment, the Disney-owned broadcaster played a clip of some of its biggest hits. The clip opened with a spot from the third season finale where Matthew Fox’s Jack told Evangeline Lilly’s Kate that they needed to go back to the island – one of the show’s most memorable moments.

When asked by Deadline whether we should read anything into the choice of this clip, she joked, “you should”.

She added, “I would like that very much; that’s a reboot I would be interested in seeing.”

Given the booming trend of reboots, it’s long been thought that the sci-fi island adventure is ripe for a revival. However, Burke admitted that she hadn’t spoken to the creators of the show – J.J. Abrams, Damon Lindelof and Jeffrey Lieber – about a reboot.

The show ran for six seasons between 2004 and 2010 on ABC.

Last year, showrunner Carlton Cuse said that he and Lindelof have always been “adamant” that they told the story that they wanted to tell but admitted that it would be fine if ABC hired somebody who had a good idea involving other characters that head to the island. He added that he would be “less excited” if they used the characters from the original.
https://deadline.com/2019/02/abc-los...ca-1202550219/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.