Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Lost -- 2 1/2 Hour Series Finale -- "The End Part 1 & 2" -- 05/23/10

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: What did you think of the Lost Series Finale?
Loved It! Fantastic Way to End the show!
34.92%
Thought it was Good
29.37%
Meh, Thought it was so-so
16.93%
Hated it. Disappointing way to end such a great show
12.70%
Screw Lost, I'm selling by DVD's/BR's and will never look back!
6.08%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Lost -- 2 1/2 Hour Series Finale -- "The End Part 1 & 2" -- 05/23/10

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-10, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Lost -- 2 1/2 Hour Series Finale -- "The End Part 1 & 2" -- 05/23/10

I watched the finale again yesterday, I loved it. To me it was a very satisfying emotional ending.

But just for kicks, after I watched Jack die at the end and shut his eye, I started LA X and looked at the beginning of it... it was awesome! (that would be the order, chronologically) Jack seems confused, disoriented... it works perfectly. Its like he knows something is wrong, but as soon as Cindy talks to him, he falls into the "script" and gets sucked in.
Old 05-25-10, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
That is probably the biggest irritation that I have. That and these damn Lost thread over analyzing EVERYTHING making me buy into all these things that seemed important.

Still did not like the final though. Basically rendered everything meaningless.
Everything happened on purpose. There was a meaning behind the journey that they all went through. Would you consider a trip to the grocery store meaningless if you found the love of your life there?
Old 05-25-10, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Slumbering Fist
Well, how about this? You go through a learning experience, adventure, bond with people, fall in love, become a better person, even live a good life- THEN YOU APPARENTLY FORGET ALL OF THAT WHEN YOU DIE. You then create a false reality where in most all cases, especially if you "transcended" or "sacrificed" before your death, your life is worse than it was when you were living??? And, the only end to your purgatory is a slim chance that you brush up against someone you loved, who also is stuck in purgatory Hell for no good reason, and that sparks your true life memory. Or, you can hope that you knew a magical man who died but was also immune to electromagnetism so he remembers things clearer in the afterlife and he comes along and spurns you a little quicker to meet your true love.

How sweet?

What a great mythology.
The reason that the are stuck there is by their own choosing. They wanted to continue on and it took Desmond bringing them together to realize that they didn't need to hold on any longer and that their lives were complete. If you want to be pessimistic about life and what it is all about then go ahead but I choose to see things a bit differently. We all question at some point why we are here and what we are to do but hopefully we all have meaningful things happen to us along the way to make this journey (of life) have a purpose. I don't think that anyone in the purgatory was suffering just simply continuing on in an existence of what came before their island experience.
Old 05-25-10, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All those island mysteries (smoke monsters and polar bears in warm climates) were initially in place because the creators planned on having the Island serve as a 'purgatory' and had to change gears when the public figured it out rather quickly 6 years ago.
Old 05-25-10, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For being a supposed writer, that blog post sure is littered with grammatical errors and misspelled words. The misspelled character names seem like a dead giveaway that this isn't really one of the show writers. I don't disagree with the interpretation, but I doubt the source is authentic.
Old 05-25-10, 12:00 PM

For me the finale was a letdown. I may have been nice TV minutes and were not that bad at all but the Finale to Lost...common, that can't be everything

A few words to the show...the first thing which came to my mind in the cave was "This looks worse than the Goonies set"...actually I said that to my wive which lead to "look there lies Chester Copperpot" and even "Desmond, don't go in the pool, there's a giant octopuss" from her....kinda ruined the Lost feeling.
In the end, the moments when they remembered where nice but maybe the Goonies took out all the emotions

I think, despite all Christian said, there are 3 possible outcomes. Been thinking and discussing this with friends and there a pro and cons for each of them. While I kinda like the Jacob's Ladder thingy as Jack died in the same place as he woke up and prolly nothing at all really happened I definately think the theorie that "feels" best is that it was some kind of test for the afterlife, call it purgatory or whatever you want, after all, from the beginning. I don't mind what Christian said, was just the writers trying to get out of the purgatory denial from season 1...like some already stated.

So after all it have been great 6 years with a bit of a bad taste in the end (why did they even bring the tempel stuff up so close to the end?). Still, I kinda think this ending ruined a second go for me. I thought about getting the compelete set and going through them again, checking if it kinda adds up from the start...well, I don't feel the need for that anymore, rather watch the Goonies 5-10 times instead
Old 05-25-10, 12:07 PM

The more I read about it the more disappointed I get. This was just a cheap way out. While I understand that this show was heavily character driven it was not the reason why I watched it and dragged myself through the last few seasons. I understand they can't answer everything and honestly I'm not surprised how the show ended. I almost feel they pulled a Bobby Ewing on us.
Old 05-25-10, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That figures. A post from someone connected with the show comes out that I totally 100% agree with and it's validity is in question. I really hope somehow it gets proven that it really is someone from the show.
Old 05-25-10, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
The reason that the are stuck there is by their own choosing. They wanted to continue on and it took Desmond bringing them together to realize that they didn't need to hold on any longer and that their lives were complete. If you want to be pessimistic about life and what it is all about then go ahead but I choose to see things a bit differently. We all question at some point why we are here and what we are to do but hopefully we all have meaningful things happen to us along the way to make this journey (of life) have a purpose. I don't think that anyone in the purgatory was suffering just simply continuing on in an existence of what came before their island experience.
Well, again, to me that makes no sense. How can you find meaning to your life if you choose to forget the key moments of your existence, your love and growth, the things they found on or after the island? How is that not suffering? I mean, Charlie chose to go back to being a junkie? WTF? You think its all cool. I think its dumb. Oh well.
Old 05-25-10, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The temple stuff, and Dogen, was just laughably bad. The writers should be embarrassed with that being such a large element of this season. It's on par with that ridiculous "sheriff" plot line from season three that was eventually killed.
Old 05-25-10, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Desmond became aware of purgatory due to his electromagnetism. Seriously? They "constructed" a reality due to their love and friendship for each other? Even though there is no "time" in heaven, they all had to move on at the same time, or they couldn't move on?

The more I think about it, the more I disapprove. I only have myself to blame. Let's face it. We all knew they had no plan way back in season 2/3 when the ratings faltered as the writers spun their wheels. That forced the end date.

I will say that the show gave me a decently enjoyable 6 year run. I think people are overly forgiving some of the mediocre "character" episodes that they say was the point of the show now. The entire show was a con job. They conned us into paying more attention to a show and its details than they obviously ever did. And that ending was a con to make you feel good about the fact that you got conned.
Old 05-25-10, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Had they solved all of the islands mysteries with them clearly explained and some go on to live a grand life we would still be left with a letdown. Let's say that Jack became the hero and went on to continue being a great spinal surgeon, Kate gets vindication for her crimes, Sawyer continues to be a cop or a reformed con man, Sun and Jin go on to be great parents, etc. there would still be something left to be desired. Or if the timeline had actually been reset and none of the island stuff was no longer relevant as it only propelled the people into having a different life instead of actually living through it and being part of who each of them were. Maybe they should have filmed all of these types of endings and let you choose how you wanted it to end. I appreciate the ending they gave us and feel that it was fitting given the circumstances of out of proportion expectations for everything to be explained.
Old 05-25-10, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Desmond became aware of purgatory due to his electromagnetism. Seriously? They "constructed" a reality due to their love and friendship for each other? Even though there is no "time" in heaven, they all had to move on at the same time, or they couldn't move on?

The more I think about it, the more I disapprove. I only have myself to blame. Let's face it. We all knew they had no plan way back in season 2/3 when the ratings faltered as the writers spun their wheels. That forced the end date.

I will say that the show gave me a decently enjoyable 6 year run. I think people are overly forgiving some of the mediocre "character" episodes that they say was the point of the show now. The entire show was a con job. They conned us into paying more attention to a show and its details than they obviously ever did. And that ending was a con to make you feel good about the fact that you got conned.
"That's a pretty long con, doc."
Old 05-25-10, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Just because an ending is a happy ending for the good guys, doesn't make it a good ending. It just makes it a happy one.
Old 05-25-10, 12:33 PM

Hey, after Kate delivered Claire's baby and Desmond said "Now do you understand?", what did Kate say?? I rewound it like five times and could NOT make it out for some reason.

I'm not crazy about the Alternaverse as Afterlife reveal, but can live with it. I like the idea (I read in some other post somewhere) that Jack and Juliet sort of created that world together when the bomb went off, as it makes it feel a little more connected to the overall story.

Count me among those who believe Jack "rode" a (white?) soulsmoke whirlwhind out of that cave at the end, in the same way MIB's body did.

Most of the series' unanswered questions-- I'm ok coming up with my own answers. The only one that really bugs me right now is Charles Widmore. Obviously not a nice man, but was he evil? Did he really want his freighter mercenaries to slaughter everyone on the island way back, or was Keamy the real villain in that attack? Or could Charles have believed, in all sincerity, that everyone on the island was corrupted by Smokey at that point? And if he was truly doing Jacob's work on his Season 6 return, what was up with all his harsh treatment of the candidates? Did we ever find out for sure if it was him or Locke who killed that pile of Ajira leftovers Sawyer found? I was hoping we might get some explanation from Eloise about his character in the finale, but no.
Old 05-25-10, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza
And, I don't get the dog at the end. It wasn't even Jack's dog. Still made me cry but it felt cheap.

Looks like they had vincent at the end for this reason (opening shots of series vs. closing shots of series):

kind of "come full circle" kind of thing.
Old 05-25-10, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Highly praised shows like Grey's Anatomy and House give mediocre character episodes nearly all of the time. For a show like this to have a lapse from time to time is forgivable. If you want to piss and moan about the finale that is fine but it will not change how the writers wanted to end their show. We all appreciate or disapprove of things differently and this show is no exception.
Old 05-25-10, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

So everyone who liked the ending was tuning in for the "character moments" for the past 6 years? Really?

I loved the characters, but they're not the only reason people tuned in to this show. Not even close.
Old 05-25-10, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker
The temple stuff, and Dogen, was just laughably bad. The writers should be embarrassed with that being such a large element of this season. It's on par with that ridiculous "sheriff" plot line from season three that was eventually killed.
I can definitely agree with this

Last edited by rocketsauce; 05-25-10 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-25-10, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just because an ending is a happy ending for the good guys, doesn't make it a good ending. It just makes it a happy one.
And just because someone has their own viewpoint on something that was decidedly left open to interpretation doesn't make that person wrong. Or anyone for that matter.
Old 05-25-10, 12:46 PM

Highly praised shows like Grey's Anatomy and House give mediocre character episodes nearly all of the time. For a show like this to have a lapse from time to time is forgivable. If you want to piss and moan about the finale that is fine but it will not change how the writers wanted to end their show. We all appreciate or disapprove of things differently and this show is no exception.
comparing Grey's and House with Lost is pretty funny.
Old 05-25-10, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
So everyone who liked the ending was tuning in for the "character moments" for the past 6 years? Really?

I loved the characters, but they're not the only reason people tuned in to this show. Not even close.
No, but it's the reason this season failed miserably, IMO. We didn't get a solid [on island] character moment until 2/3 of the way through with a single scene between Jack and Hurley (when Hurley asked Jack to trust him). Then it was back to the nonsense, also known as season 6.

The characters are why we watched the show in season one. There were only a few minor mysteries (polar bear, Rouseau's message, hatch) that first year. The mythology didn't drive the show, the characters did.
Old 05-25-10, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 908 Likes on 670 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo

That was my problem with it. I'm okay with the way the "reality" story ended in the sense that a few people made it off the island alive and Jack died saving them. But the secrets and hidden back-story is what made Lost a hit in the first place, not the characters. Throwing all that out the window at the end was a bit of a slap in the face.
Old 05-25-10, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by noonan4224
Throwing all that out the window at the end was a bit of a slap in the face.
Agreed. It turns out the writers did indeed put that world inside of a snowglobe.
Old 05-25-10, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
The characters are why we watched the show in season one. There were only a few minor mysteries (polar bear, Rouseau's message, hatch) that first year. The mythology didn't drive the show, the characters did.
OK - then they should have just kept going in that direction. Season 1 was great - it sucked me in, mostly because you wanted to see if they would get off the island. They could have kept the scope of the wholes series that way with the Others and minor mysteries and still had all of this great character moments. It begs to question why things like time travel were introduced at all.

Maybe they thought they couldn't keep the "will they get off" thing going forever, so they introduced all the weird shit. That was ultimately what ruined the series IMO if they had no intention of paying it off.

Last edited by bunkaroo; 05-25-10 at 01:13 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.