Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Lost -- 2 1/2 Hour Series Finale -- "The End Part 1 & 2" -- 05/23/10

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: What did you think of the Lost Series Finale?
Loved It! Fantastic Way to End the show!
34.92%
Thought it was Good
29.37%
Meh, Thought it was so-so
16.93%
Hated it. Disappointing way to end such a great show
12.70%
Screw Lost, I'm selling by DVD's/BR's and will never look back!
6.08%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Lost -- 2 1/2 Hour Series Finale -- "The End Part 1 & 2" -- 05/23/10

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-10, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Lost -- 2 1/2 Hour Series Finale -- "The End Part 1 & 2" -- 05/23/10

One question that nags at me is why didn't the island heal Jack after he restored its "essence"?
Old 05-24-10, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

So I guess they were dead all along. Terrific.
Old 05-24-10, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX
Nope. The people in the church were Christian, Jack, Kate, Sawyer, Juliet, Claire, Charlie, Aaron, Jin, Sun, Boone, Shannon, Sayid, Hurley, Libby, Desmond, Penny, Rose, Bernard, and Locke.
Yeah, not all of those people died, which drives me crazy.

I've thought about it and I think alt. universe as the island letting Jack and those who actually died find peace. Kinda like the vision at the end of Gladiator with some time travel thrown in.

Jack touching the coffin and finally finding his dad at the end was when I got something in my eye.

I think the most important line of the finale was MIB telling Jack "you died for nothing." Jack did die to kill MIB and save the others. The Jack/Desmond/MIB stuff was epic.
Old 05-24-10, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
So I guess they were dead all along. Terrific.
No, they weren't. They were very clear about that. Yes, they all eventually died but not at the same time. That's not even open to interpretation.

Originally Posted by Ranger
Yeah, not all of those people died, which drives me crazy.
Sure they did...eventually. Christian said some died before, some after. What's the problem?
Old 05-24-10, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Loc Nar
One question that nags at me is why didn't the island heal Jack after he restored its "essence"?
Want another? Why did Jacob have to touch the water and say some kind of prayer before Jack drank it, so that he could be like Jacob, but Jack just took a bottle and scooped up some random puddle water and that made Hurley like Jack?
Old 05-24-10, 11:39 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Drexl
I don't know about more shows, but I hope they get to do another video game. This time, the whole island can be mapped out and there would be nothing to hide WRT time travel and "the light."
Yeah that would be really cool. Make it like a sandbox type and travel around the island, travel through time maybe to the very beginning to see the light, who knows. I gotta pick up Via Domus and play that now!
Old 05-24-10, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
Want another? Why did Jacob have to touch the water and say some kind of prayer before Jack drank it, so that he could be like Jacob, but Jack just took a bottle and scooped up some random puddle water and that made Hurley like Jack?
My theory on that was the drinking of the water ritual was just something to make the person think it was some meaningful event. They didn't really need to do it but it made the new person think they were know officially the new "protector". Kind of like a mind trick to make them do the job better maybe? Just a theory.
Old 05-25-10, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by rocketsauce
My theory on that was the drinking of the water ritual was just something to make the person think it was some meaningful event. They didn't really need to do it but it made the new person think they were know officially the new "protector". Kind of like a mind trick to make them do the job better maybe? Just a theory.
The thing is EVERYTHING seems to be like that. A trick and I'm not a thread-crapper and I've been one of the biggest defenders of the show this entire season. I understand more about Mulder's sister and the bees and the super soldiers than I do about what the hell really happened with this show.

To be honest, I think Jack would have done the cork thing in season 1. He was a selfless character, a leader, and someone willing to risk his life to do the right thing. If Jacob had shown up and talked to him with that soft-spoken, Jacob way, Jack would have said, "I'll do it" to just about anything if he thought it would help, making the 6 seasons really unnecessary if it truly was about Jack's redemption. Or was the show really about nothing?
Old 05-25-10, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know a lot of people talk about how many commercials this show usually has so this was pretty interesting:

So, Lost ended, as you may have heard, and you also may have heard your friends complaining about the number of commercials that were in the finale. EW says there were 107 of them in 2.5 hours -- or more than 45 minutes worth.

From EW:

ABC packed roughly 107 spots — or more than 45 minutes of commercial and promotional time — into the two-and-a-half-hour Lost series finale, according to our (very unscientific but pretty reliable) count. Just when the finale would unveil a major plot point, a break would occur featuring anywhere from five to 11 ads and/or sneak peeks for fall shows on ABC. Granted, some of the spots were extremely clever (Target used images of the island’s smoke monster to peddle fire detectors) but numerous, nonetheless.

EW says the typical hour of show will have 18-20 commercials -- whereas the first hour of Lost had 37!

Did you notice the difference? We sure did.
http://consumerist.com/2010/05/lost-...tes-worth.html
Old 05-25-10, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rocketsauce
Or Jack was just going through the motions he saw before and needed to make Hurley believe power was transferring when in his case it really wasn't. It seemed like Jack got some kind of awareness with the transfer from Jacob that I didn't see happen to Hurley. In fact they had him specifically say something to the effect of not feeling any different or something if I remember correctly.

Course like you say...maybe it's all dependent on how much the recipient wants to believe it.
Old 05-25-10, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by superfro
Or Jack was just going through the motions he saw before and needed to make Hurley believe power was transferring when in his case it really wasn't. It seemed like Jack got some kind of awareness with the transfer from Jacob that I didn't see happen to Hurley. In fact they had him specifically say something to the effect of not feeling any different or something if I remember correctly.

Course like you say...maybe it's all dependent on how much the recipient wants to believe it.
Exactly spot on to what I was thinking. Even though the Jacob to Jack transfer didn't have any fireworks, the Jack to Hurley transfer was even less.
Old 05-25-10, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Post 1164.... is it safe to discuss Lost now?
Has HE Pennypacker finally calmed down?
Old 05-25-10, 02:09 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by hardercore
Post 1164.... is it safe to discuss Lost now?
Has HE Pennypacker finally calmed down?
No, he'll be back to praise the 24 finale as another attempt to tear down the Lost finale.
Old 05-25-10, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Emmy submissions for Season 6 were purportedly

The Substitute/The Candidate
Ab Aeterno/What They Died For
The End, Parts 1 & 2.

Thoughts? does the show get the sentimental final year vote this year?

I think The End and Ab Aeterno are great character driven episodes of the sort that won Lost the Emmy in Season One. What They Died For is a good one to submit as a lead-in to the finale.
Old 05-25-10, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by hardercore
Emmy submissions for Season 6 were purportedly

The Substitute/The Candidate
Ab Aeterno/What They Died For
The End, Parts 1 & 2.

Thoughts? does the show get the sentimental final year vote this year?

I think The End and Ab Aeterno are great character driven episodes of the sort that won Lost the Emmy in Season One. What They Died For is a good one to submit as a lead-in to the finale.
Good choices. Pretty much my top episodes of the season, in addition to Happily ever after and Dr. Linus
Old 05-25-10, 05:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven

Sure they did...eventually. Christian said some died before, some after. What's the problem?
I agree that the show was clear in the fact that the Island events happened. One of the characters basically turns to the camera and states it.
But the show has invited this kind of confusion when it spent a previous season flipping different sets of characters around different time lines.

Also it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense thematically that all these characters have these adventures on the island, during which they work through the personal issues (baggage) they brought there, and most of them seem to have died having resolved them (Jack included). It seems there is no real reason for the 'letting go' sideways universe because all of the characters have already arced. The only reason it is there is so we can get a maudlin, sentimental curtain call for the various cast members- some of which had departed seasons earlier.
Jack 'let go' when he gave his power to Hugo. The sideways universe seems to imply this was a way-station existence post their lives and prior to their ultimate destination. So does this mean Jack 'let go' on the island and then got to enjoy a more idealized imagined life only to be forcibly yanked out of it because Desmond needed to do everybody a favor and wake them up to reality?

Just like Battlestar Galactica, I cried like a baby as it was unspooling, and now that it's over and I reflect on just exactly what happened, and what half baked philosophy is implied, I feel like a schmuck for having surrendered to all this touchy feely claptrap.

Last edited by Paul_SD; 05-25-10 at 05:30 AM.
Old 05-25-10, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Finished the episode tonight and watched Kimmel and still am trying to fully understand what I saw. How did everyone die together?

My head hurts just trying to read this thread for answers. I'm going to bed.
They lived together but died alone. Then afterlived together.

How do people still not get that they died at different times. Some before jack, some after jack.

And the polar bear, hasn't it been obvious for years that it was used to move the donkey wheel.
Old 05-25-10, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by kaze0
They lived together but died alone. Then afterlived together.

How do people still not get that they died at different times. Some before jack, some after jack.
Which would be fine and well if Desmond didn't suddenly have to go on a mission to get everyone else to 'let go' at the same time so the audience can get a group hug right before the end credits.

The only thing that's missing from all this sentimental nonsense is the cast breaking out into the Yub Yub song.

Last edited by Paul_SD; 05-25-10 at 05:44 AM.
Old 05-25-10, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You alllllll everybody
Old 05-25-10, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

At least with Battlestar Galactica, even though it wasn't completely satisfying, at least the ending made a certain amount of sense within the context of the series that we had been watching for four years. They answered most of the big questions and closed the series off with the endpoint the characters had been searching for even if they were still dropping red herrings (like "Daniel") in the final episodes.

My biggest gripe with Lost is that, for five years, we have been wactching this thing, sorting through clues and bluffs and outright lies, only to be told at the end that none of it really mattered because in heaven everything is fine.

We have been told by the producers that the characters are the most important thing about the series, but the characters in and of themselves aren't terribly compelling. The most compelling thing about the characters in the first three or so seasons is how they interacted with each other and how they reacted to the mysteries they were presented with.

Then, when they finally got locked into an end plan with season four, everybody stopped asking questions and the team was separated, which took away the two key components that made Lost successful in the first place.

And, finally, in season six, instead of pulling all of the mysteries together into a tapestry that makes everything a cohesive whole, we spent three months watching the characters wander aimlessly around beaches and jungles, break into arbitrary groups every few weeks, and not even attempt to ask any questions or try to figure out what the fuck was going on. Some died, some escaped, and everyone ended up in heaven.

It seems like a cheat, not to mention the king of all retcons, to claim that all of the mysteries the series presented (like the hatch, the DHARMA Initiative, the Others, the time travel, the conflict between Ben and Widmore) weren't really important in the end. Frankly, it smacks of writers and producers not having a cohesive plan for anything and writing themselves into a corner, so they push all of that off to the side and present us with a treacly finale and daring us to criticize them. But Jack was reunited with his dead father! Jin and Sun are happy together in heaven!
Old 05-25-10, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
How did everyone die together?
Plane crash.
Old 05-25-10, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
Which would be fine and well if Desmond didn't suddenly have to go on a mission to get everyone else to 'let go' at the same time so the audience can get a group hug right before the end credits.

The only thing that's missing from all this sentimental nonsense is the cast breaking out into the Yub Yub song.
For me the only thing missing was Jack walking into the ballroom of the Titanic, looking up the stairs and seeing Leonardo DiCaprio beckoning to him, while the rest of the cast stood around the railing and beamed proudly at him.

Those last few minutes were pretty much beat for beat exactly like the end of "Titanic."
Old 05-25-10, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 272 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by redskull
Those last few minutes were pretty much beat for beat exactly like the end of "Titanic."
Kate threw the necklace off the boat?
Old 05-25-10, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by kaze0

And the polar bear, hasn't it been obvious for years that it was used to move the donkey wheel.
The polar bears were almost certainly brought to the island by DHARMA, and the polar bear skull in the desert implies that someone used the bears to move the wheel. It is unknown if that's the reason the bears were brought to the island, though. The bear cages at the Hydra station would seem to indicate they were doing some kind of behavioral experiments with them.

It's unknown who used the bear to turn the wheel... when the DHARMA group was digging near the wheel they stopped short of unearthing the wheel, and I don't see any reason presented in the story why the Others would use the bears to move the island, though Ben seemed to know about the wheel.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 05-25-10 at 06:57 AM.
Old 05-25-10, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Burnt Thru
Plane crash.
Penny was not on the plane, yet she was there.

I don't have time to go through every page, so I don't know if any Jimmy Kimmel discussion was done in theis thread, but I just have to say I cannot believe they found Ozone and Turbo for that "Snakes on a Plane 2" joke.

Last edited by Snowmaker; 05-25-10 at 07:04 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.