Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Lost -- 2 1/2 Hour Series Finale -- "The End Part 1 & 2" -- 05/23/10

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: What did you think of the Lost Series Finale?
Loved It! Fantastic Way to End the show!
34.92%
Thought it was Good
29.37%
Meh, Thought it was so-so
16.93%
Hated it. Disappointing way to end such a great show
12.70%
Screw Lost, I'm selling by DVD's/BR's and will never look back!
6.08%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Lost -- 2 1/2 Hour Series Finale -- "The End Part 1 & 2" -- 05/23/10

Old 05-23-10, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Lost -- 2 1/2 Hour Series Finale -- "The End Part 1 & 2" -- 05/23/10

Originally Posted by Draven
All of the weird stuff that happened on the island happened and will never be explained.

In this season's alt timeline, everything seemed normal, but by this episode, the amount of WTF that was happening made it clear it wasn't real. People can't recover from spinal surgery in minutes. People don't see spiritual flashbacks from their time together in another reality. People don't learn English in a heartbeat. The "realness" of the alt timeline unraveled during this episode, culminating in the reunion at the church.

Christian told Jack that he had died. He told him that others died before, others died after, but they created this place to find each other again. I'm going to assume everyone had eventually died at this point (see Hurley and Ben's conversation indicating their time on the island as #1 and #2 was over). Christian SAID these things. So interpreting them as something else is contrary to what the writers, for once on this show, attempted to spell out for you.

It's brilliant, actually. They filled this episode (and season) with so much weirdness and then answered THAT question, which makes everyone go "oh, this all came together in the end!" and forget about the time travel, polar bears, light-that-turns-people-into-smoke, and everything else.

The fact is this season actually could have stood alone as its own show. Because they actually resolved what they established in the premiere. They just ignored the other 5 seasons.
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Locke's spinal injury get miraculously cured as soon as he arrived on the island? If the ALT timeline is purgatory and that's explained by all the impossible things happening including recovering from a spinal injury in minutes, how can you say that the island was real too? If a spinal injury can only be cured in purgatory aka the ALT timeline, wouldn't the island also be purgatory since his spinal injury was miraculously cured there too?
Old 05-23-10, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadzia
Jack's scene with his dad reminded me of Jodie Foster's scene with her "dad" in Contact.

And when Jack's dad said that time doesn't exist there, I thought of the wormhole aliens on Star Trek: Deep Space 9.
The Nexus in Star Trek: Generations for me.
Old 05-23-10, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 595 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
I think Jack was the new Smoke monster, thus explaining why Hurley still needed a number 2.
NO

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Absolutely wrong. Everything on the Island happened, in reality.
You saying it doesn't make it so.

No, I meant that the island story didn't end when Jack died. I think he turned into the Smoke monster thus giving Hurley and Ben something to defend.
Very wrong.

Originally Posted by whoopdido
And you're 100% sure about this how?
He isn't, impossible for anyoen to be sure.

No justification? How do you explain how Jack ended up back on the surface? I'm sorry but we saw what happened when MIB went into the water. Now we're supposed to believe that the same thing doesn't happen to Jack?
Still no.

Personally I think the island eventually does end up on the bottom of the ocean. The islands story isn't done yet but Jack's is.
The entire story is done including the islands.

Originally Posted by Jadzia
And on a non mod-note.

Was I the only one who thought the shot of the plane crash at the end meant that the plane they were attempting to escape the island with crashed?
I didn't see that, I thought it meant they all died during the original crash.
Old 05-23-10, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
Fuck you, they're C&L, that's why.
What about JJ?
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Scotts35
There can be a place where crazy things happen and not be explained, it is fiction after all. It still doesn't work to me that the island is purgatory and then the alt universe is what? Another purgatory?

Yes the island could represent everyone's trials, I believe this as well, but what I disagree with is that because its a trial that it THEREFORE HAS to be purgatory.
I think the word purgatory is holding a lot of people back here.

The island is a test, challenge, problem, something of that sort. It is something that has to be metaphysically overcome.

After it is overcome (by each individual, by the collective, whatever), the flash sideways universe with the Church is just a waiting room.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Locke's spinal injury get miraculously cured as soon as he arrived on the island? If the ALT timeline is purgatory and that's explained by all the impossible things happening including recovering from a spinal injury in minutes, how can you say that the island was real too? If a spinal injury can only be cured in purgatory aka the ALT timeline, wouldn't the island also be purgatory since his spinal injury was miraculously cured there too?
The island's electromagnetic "healing" properties suppressed Rose's cancer and cured Locke's paralysis. Not to mention patching up numerous bullet holes and other wounds!
Old 05-23-10, 11:59 PM

Have to agree with Josh, Draven, et al. Seemed pretty clear to me that was the intent. I was kind of surprised to see people arguing differently, but I'm not here to say you can't have your opinions. However, if believing that the entire series was purgatory has ruined the entire show for you, I'd suggest re-watching the finale assuming that only the alt timeline or even solely the church was purgatory. I really think it would change how you feel.

It would be easier to say that the entire show was purgatory (to explain the events on the island), but in their reality, there existed an island with powers/properties that we can't explain or understand.

At the end, as the light enveloped the interior of the church, I was starting to cringe, hoping they wouldn't cut immediately to a loud commercial or that damn Bad Robot... The credits rolled, and scenes from the wreckage that started the whole series flashed, an homage to Season 1, as someone posted. I believe that is all that it was.

I do believe Hurley and Ben lived on the island, in reality, for many years after Jack died. Hurley could've died 100 years later, Ben could've lived for another 1,000, who knows, but upon death, they exist in the alt timeline simultaneously. In the alternate timeline, however, Ben was just beginning to reconcile with Rousseau and Danielle, so he chose to stay.

Just curious what the "entire series=purgatory" thinkers believe that the alt timeline represented?

As far as the religious symbolism, this is a pretty interesting Wiki entry that I found several weeks back when looking up info on Arlington Nat'l Cemetery...

Approved Headstone Symbols
Old 05-23-10, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Quack
What about JJ?
As I understand it, JJ was quite hands off for most of the run of this show, off doing things like MI:3 and shit.
Old 05-24-10, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I think the word purgatory is holding a lot of people back here.

The island is a test, challenge, problem, something of that sort. It is something that has to be metaphysically overcome.

After it is overcome (by each individual, by the collective, whatever), the flash sideways universe with the Church is just a waiting room.
This!
Old 05-24-10, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The show flat out says at the end that the island world was real. Saying anything other than that is pretty much making stuff up to make yourself feel better about the show as a whole. I'm all for interpretation but there is virtually no room for it in this regard.

This episode sucked and really hurt the series as a whole for two reasons. The first is the on island stuff was lame, anti-climactic, and answered pretty much nothing. Second, because the whole purgatory/heavens waiting room thing, while somewhat moving, could have been tacked onto the end of any other show and the concept would be the same. It has nothing to do with Lost at all, it is just a way to do a happily ever after/reunion ending.
Old 05-24-10, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by phantom_azazel
de ravin showing a lot of leg on kimmel
Yes she is.
Old 05-24-10, 12:02 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Why is it that the only people who are getting pissy in this thread are the "non purgatory" people?

If it's not purgatory then explain what it is then. Don't just say we're too stupid to understand it.

Ok...I admit it...I'm stupid. Please help me because to me it's OBVIOUS that the whole thing was purgatory. I know I'm stupid but please help me.

If the island was real then that means that polar bears on tropical islands, smoke monsters, time travel, mysterious energy sources and a bunch of other weird, wild stuff is also real.

Whether you're a believer or not, it seems much more plausible that all that happened in purgatory as it's easy to explain away. In purgatory anything can happen, including polar bears, smoke monsters, etc.
I agree, but largely everything when you think about it truly makes no sense, I'd like to think that the whole series was an elaborate take on the ghost flick: 'The Others'. all the events and reveal in the sideway story where in fact 'heaven', but they didnt' know it, maybe it will take a movie too further explain it: 'Lost: Fire and Water Walk with Me'

Last edited by Giles; 05-24-10 at 12:06 AM.
Old 05-24-10, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by kstublen
To be fair, you're calling some of it when it's fairly obvious.
As soon as he woke up by the pond I called it.
Old 05-24-10, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Puzznic
The show flat out says at the end that the island world was real.
Yeah, it's Jack's dead father who has no knowledge of any of this shit saying it. He'd be in a position to know. Right.

It also says that Jack's most important time was with these people, yet there are plenty of people there he really had no great contact with.

Putting stock in this bit of dialogue as the non-red herring of the whole series full of red herrings and worse is in and of itself an article of faith.
Old 05-24-10, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Puzznic
The first is the on island stuff was lame, anti-climactic, and answered pretty much nothing.
Eh, the island was a vehicle that forced this group of strangers on a plane to form some pretty strong bonds.
Old 05-24-10, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone watched the Alternate Endings on Jimmy Kimmel Live? I DVR'd it and am starting it now. Not sure if I really want to watch all the interviews, etc. but I want to see the Alternate Endings if they're actually Alternate Endings.
Old 05-24-10, 12:09 AM

I guess Sayid forgot about Nadia and decided : 'what the hell, I'll make out with Shannon'
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think my issue with the show is thus...the argument will probably be made by many, including the people behind the show, that it's always been about the path of the characters that lead to the end of the show. The other mysteries didn't matter and were superficial. It was the journey that was important and thus what needed clarification at the end. My problem is that wasn't the show for me. In addition, it's not the device they used to promote, sell, and propel the show for 6 seasons. You can't focus countless campaigns on building mysteries and answering questions you've spent 5 years raising and then expect people to be ok with things going unanswered because quite simply "that was never the focus of the show".
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They're not. They're a Survivor gag with Probst, C&L insulting The Sopranos (a far ballsier and truer ending), and the Newhart ending. I guess Victoria Principal and Patrick Duffy weren't available.
Old 05-24-10, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by superfro
I think my issue with the show is thus...the argument will probably be made by many, including the people behind the show, that it's always been about the path of the characters that lead to the end of the show. The other mysteries didn't matter and were superficial. It was the journey that was important and thus what needed clarification at the end. My problem is that wasn't the show for me. In addition, it's not the device they used to promote, sell, and propel the show for 6 seasons. You can't focus countless campaigns on building mysteries and answering questions you've spent 5 years raising and then expect people to be ok with things going unanswered because quite simply "that was never the focus of the show".
This.
Old 05-24-10, 12:10 AM

Yeah, it's Jack's dead father who has no knowledge of any of this shit saying it. He'd be in a position to know. Right.

It also says that Jack's most important time was with these people, yet there are plenty of people there he really had no great contact with.

Putting stock in this bit of dialogue as the non-red herring of the whole series full of red herrings and worse is in and of itself an article of faith.
Or its the words of the series creators explaining the end game of the series and defining what the alternate universe represents. I believe this but can never prove it 100%.
Old 05-24-10, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They're not. They're a Survivor gag with Probst, C&L insulting The Sopranos (a far ballsier and truer ending), and the Newhart ending. I guess Victoria Principal and Patrick Duffy weren't available.
Thanks!

*deleted*
Old 05-24-10, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by superfro
QFT

Beyond that, they did a shitty job resolving the character driven issues, like Ben and Charles, for instance.

Fucking hacks.
Old 05-24-10, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chuckd21
The nuclear bomb triggered the "end game". It got them into the ALT timeline, so they could prepare to move on.
I think it was made fairly clear in the context of the show they entered the "alt" timeline when they died in reality.
Old 05-24-10, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
OK those Darlton fuckers have no place appearing in a sketch making fun of the Sopranos finale after the turd they just shat out.
Laughed out loud. Especially at "Darlton fuckers." Too true.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.