Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Lost -- 2 1/2 Hour Series Finale -- "The End Part 1 & 2" -- 05/23/10

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: What did you think of the Lost Series Finale?
Loved It! Fantastic Way to End the show!
34.92%
Thought it was Good
29.37%
Meh, Thought it was so-so
16.93%
Hated it. Disappointing way to end such a great show
12.70%
Screw Lost, I'm selling by DVD's/BR's and will never look back!
6.08%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Lost -- 2 1/2 Hour Series Finale -- "The End Part 1 & 2" -- 05/23/10

Old 05-22-10, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Re: Lost -- 2 1/2 Hour Series Finale -- "The End Part 1 & 2" -- 05/23/10

final set:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

my favorite

Spoiler:

NSFW:
Old 05-22-10, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

'you should've posted that in the Lost finale thread'

'the what?'

'you know, the thread about the Lost finale'

'the which?'

'fucking hell. the one that starts with all those god damned captioned pictures.'
Old 05-22-10, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 595 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Aren't they taking a bit of a risk airing this on a different night than they normally do?
A serious risk. Hardly anyone will even know it's on sunday night since they have hardly been any promos mentioning it.
Old 05-22-10, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From DL's Twitter:

Folks. Things are going to start leaking. Resist. It's Christmas Eve. You've made it this far. Don't read it. EXPERIENCE IT. Please.
Old 05-22-10, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

From CNN.com at one point in the day:

Old 05-22-10, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Anticipating the end of the show, this is the concert they will be attending:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9jK-NcRmVcw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9jK-NcRmVcw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 05-22-10, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Somebody has already voted "hated it."
Old 05-22-10, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
Haters come out and plaaaaay!
Old 05-22-10, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,627 Likes on 2,603 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
I had to chuckle when I saw that.
Old 05-22-10, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I'll admit, I am late to the Lost party. I never watched it from the start and finally gave in from all the good things I heard about the show. So I got the Lost Blu-rays on sale for $108 on Amazon a while back and was waiting to watch them over the summer. I spent the last ten days watching all five seasons on Blu-ray, all the lost flashbacks, the deleted scenes, and the mobisodes; then I watched all the season six episodes on Hulu and am all caught up and ready for the finale. Kind of funny really, that the first episode of Lost that I watch live will be the series finale.

So having watched everything in a marathon, I'll probably skip the retrospective/recap and just tune in for the finale and then the alternate endings on Jimmy Kimmel Live.
Old 05-22-10, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by kstublen
So I'll admit, I am late to the Lost party. I never watched it from the start and finally gave in from all the good things I heard about the show. So I got the Lost Blu-rays on sale for $108 on Amazon a while back and was waiting to watch them over the summer. I spent the last ten days watching all five seasons on Blu-ray, all the lost flashbacks, the deleted scenes, and the mobisodes; then I watched all the season six episodes on Hulu and am all caught up and ready for the finale. Kind of funny really, that the first episode of Lost that I watch live will be the series finale.

So having watched everything in a marathon, I'll probably skip the retrospective/recap and just tune in for the finale and then the alternate endings on Jimmy Kimmel Live.
Wow! That is quite impressive. Yeah I am also leaning towards skipping the 2 hour recap episode. ABC produced one too many of them during Lost's run.
Old 05-22-10, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I encouraged a friend of mine to do this, also. It was interesting watching his experience and questions that he had for me (which I did not answer, of course) and what he deemed as important plot points.

Out of curiosity, what did you think of the show after watching it like this? Could you post a mini-review of what you thought?
Old 05-22-10, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for posting those promos. It was fun watching them.
Old 05-22-10, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DarkestPhoenix
I encouraged a friend of mine to do this, also. It was interesting watching his experience and questions that he had for me (which I did not answer, of course) and what he deemed as important plot points.

Out of curiosity, what did you think of the show after watching it like this? Could you post a mini-review of what you thought?
I think there are advantages and disadvantages to doing it this way.

The pros are that you don't forget things as easily, everything is fresh in your mind, it's easier to keep timelines and chronology of events straight, and if there is an episode you don't like it isn't the only episode you get that week. For example, I personally couldn't stand Kate from the start and the episodes that focused on her were the weakest for me. But even though I didn't enjoy them as the rest of the episodes, it was just a brief 40 minutes until I moved on to the next episode.

The biggest con is that going into the finale a lot of stuff is still fresh in my mind as being unanswered. I just watched Claire at the psychic the other day learning that Aaron is special and she has to raise him and it doesn't look like we are going to get answers. I imagine people that have been watching all along have forgotten a few things along the way, but they are all pretty fresh in my mind. I really liked the Dharma Initiative stuff, but felt that we got way too little information about it, even though on the surface it would seem like we learned a lot.

As far as the show is concerned, I actually really enjoyed it. Seasons 1 and 2 are obviously the best, Season 3 wasn't up to par, Season 4 made showed signs of improvement, and Season 5 was pretty darn good. Season 6 has been hit or miss for me, but I've enjoyed most of this final season. I will say that watching Season 3 in a marathon viewing session really softens the blow of how weak it is compared to Seasons 1 & 2.

I'm also totally convinced that the creative minds behind Lost had no set plan for the show. Too many characters just appear and disappear for no apparent reason, there are tons of inconsistencies, a lot of stuff that is not explained, etc. I think a lot of it has been explained, but I still have a lot more questions I'd like answered that I don't imagine will be answered when it's all said and done.

One of the things I liked the most about the show is how the passengers had interacted, either directly or indirectly, with one another. For example, Charlie saved Nadia in the alley and John Locke inspected Nadia's house. I found that to be one of the most enjoyable aspects of the show...all these connections that no one realizes.

I think I would say Desmond is my favourite character, followed closely by Hurley and Jin. I also enjoy Sawyer and liked Mr. Eko and Charlie while they were around. While I loved the relationship between Bernard and Rose, Jin and Sun's relationship is what really got me from the start. To see them start off with Jin being controlling, going through everything they've been through, and loving each other more than when they started...I just really enjoyed it. I was sad to see them die, but it was a beautiful death. My only real problem with it though is that they both seemed to completely forget about the daughter. I really thought sun was going to tell Jin that he had to leave the island and go be with their daughter.

So like I said, I really liked the show, but I think they got too bogged down in the mythology and made things overcomplicated. I'm fine with time travel and altering the future or creating alternate timelines, but they really should have finished certain things that I thought were going to be very important (Aaron being raised by someone other than Claire...what happens if he is raised by Kate or Claire's mother? What was the deal with Walt? What is the significance of the characters seeing other people in dreams, like Claire or Walt delivering messages? Who makes the "rules" of the island and are they actually enforceable or do people just believe they are enforceable? How did people get to the island in the first place? Who are all of the candidates and what's happened to them?). I found the show to be engaging and thrilling at certain times, but at other times to be tedious and a chore to get through. The worst episode, hands down, was the one with Jack's tattoos. I kept waiting for something to be relevant, but it wasn't and never will be. And that, I think, is the problem the show suffers the most...always trying to make things into something more than they really are and being mysterious and cryptic for the sake of being mysterious and cryptic. No one ever gives a straight answer and no one ever knows what is going on, and that is frustrating. They explained why Sawyer & Co. time traveled after Ben turned the Donkey Wheel, but they didn't explain, at all, why Jack & Co. time traveled back. Stuff like that is disappointing when you're watching it in a marathon because you see some things being answered and others being either ignored or just complete disregarded as if they never happened.

All in all though, I'm really glad I've watched the series, I've enjoyed it immensely, and cannot wait to get things wrapped up and hopefully answer as many questions as possible. Although, with several alternate endings being shown later, I'm a little concerned about a definitive ending.
Old 05-23-10, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
A question I have is, who is going to watch everything Sunday night? The 2 hour retrospective, the finale and the Jimmy Kimmel special? Or is the finale enough? That's being glued to your set for over 5 hours straight.
I'll be watching the whole darn thing. It pisses me off, though, that they're airing this on Sunday. It conflicts with Breaking Bad.
Old 05-23-10, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
I'll be watching the whole darn thing. It pisses me off, though, that they're airing this on Sunday. It conflicts with Breaking Bad.
lol I'm going to DVR "Breaking Bad" and watch it after Kimmel.
Old 05-23-10, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I'll see you guys after the airing. I'm going dark. No spoilers, either being read or posted by me. I've decided to take one last leap of faith in the show I love and go in with an open mind excited for the resolution.

Enjoy the show guys.
Old 05-23-10, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I can't wait to see how they are going to end this. I am hoping its really good.

This is not a spoiler or anything, but these are cool. Anyone who is a Lost fan can print Dharma Labels for the food products.
http://maxpictures.com/weblog/2007/0...tiative-needs/
Old 05-23-10, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
I've tried sitting through previous Lost recap specials and IMO they are a chore to sit through, especially with the narration and clips from previous episodes that I already saw. I might give in and sit through this one since it's 2 hours and will probably have alot of good interviews from the cast, Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse reflecting their thoughts on the show.
Old 05-23-10, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I have to work Sunday night, so I won't be able to watch the finale until after I get home, which won't be until after 12:30AM. However, I will be watching the whole thing (I'm watching the Enhanced Pilot as I type this). So while I'm not happy I have to work, it does keep me in a state of ignorance until I get home.

I will be home for the 24 finale at least...
Old 05-23-10, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm going to a local theater that is showing the finale. It's going to be a long night; doors at 6, the recap at 7, and finally, the finale at 9.
Old 05-23-10, 05:20 AM

Received 51 Likes on 17 Posts

In before the finale...

I'll just say that I started watching this show right before the premiere of Season 2... and the story telling has kept me captivated ever since. Sure shows like Sopranos and Mad Men may have better "dialogue" or more "realistic situations,"and whatnot, but no show has kept me as captivated, on the edge of my seat, and all the way up until the final episode, just as confused as I was in the begining and guessing till the end, as LOST has. I thank the the creators for not pandering to the general public and producing a by the episode story arc.

I will gladly own the complete series collection, and place this as one of my top 5 series of all time. See you all on the other side!
Old 05-23-10, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

lol I'm going to DVR "Breaking Bad" and watch it after Kimmel.
(Kisses remote control of the TiVo HD XL DVR this poster owns. )

Last edited by RayChuang; 05-23-10 at 06:21 AM. Reason: add wording
Old 05-23-10, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Expect plenty of commercials.

I was checking the schedule of something else next Saturday (5/29) and happened to note the 2:30 finale repeats then in only 2:05, followed by an 0:55 Kimmel repeat (of tribute to Lost).

I plan to record the whole thing, but probably watch the finale live.
Old 05-23-10, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I caught up with the last few episodes of this final season in anticipation of the series finale tonight. I'm ready to see it end.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.