Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lost -- "What They Died For" -- 18.05.10

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-10, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Lost -- "What They Died For" -- 18.05.10

As long as we're throwing out questions, why the crap did that bird say Hurley's name???
Old 05-19-10, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
As long as we're throwing out questions, why the crap did that bird say Hurley's name???
It actually DIDN'T say his name the first time we saw it in Season 1's finale. Fans thought they heard it say his name...and played that up in Season 2 when made Hurley comment on it.
Old 05-19-10, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
one thing i didn't get was it seemed that we were led to believe that once you die on the island, in the flash-sideways world, you know what is going on. last night with anna lucia, she didn't know what was going on. sure, desmond said "she's not ready yet" but that seemed to be a cop out.
Anna Lucia is not important. If she was crucial to the finale I'd claw my eyes out.
Old 05-19-10, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
But how did Hurley have access to the numbers before Jacob "touched him"?
They spent an entire episode on this in season 1. He got the numbers from a fellow patient at the mental hospital. The patient was repeating them over and over again. The patient got the numbers by hearing the broadcast numbers while stationed somewhere while in the military. Now, why were those numbers broadcast? Why were they put on the hatch? No clue.
Old 05-19-10, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
The bird was actually one of MiB's many forms.
Old 05-19-10, 09:57 AM
ATX

Jacob been watching ALL of them since they were young

just because he didn't interact with hurley until the cab doesn't mean a thing

Jack is a perfect example, Lighthouse showed that Jack was being voyeur'd since childhood, yet Jacob never interacted with jack until the vending machine

so using the cab instance to say that jacob didn't have anything to do with the numbers don't work...anyways the numbers came to Hurley via that mental patient
Old 05-19-10, 09:58 AM

I hope Ben is definitely playing FLocke...Ben can't kill Widmore, according to their rules. I was kind of surprised the gun even went off, let alone filled Widmore with a half dozen shots. Must've been "proving" himself to FLocke, while keeping the information Widmore gave him to a minimum, knowing he'd live.

No clue about Richard, why would MIB even bother with the attack - he has to know Richard's been there for a LOOONG time, and whether he's immortal or not. We at least know that he couldn't kill himself.

I like the theory about Miles/Ben and the walkie talkies, hearing what was going on in the secret room, hearing that Des was important.

Miles - "What's this? A secret-er room???"

Miles has to be the one that helped Desmond out of the well. Sayid left Desmond there, and told Jack that's where he'd still be.

Everytime I see the Sayid sub-bomb scene, I try to figure out why he didn't throw the bomb into the room where he exploded, unless he believed he really was "infected" and shouldn't live.

This episode made the ATS episode even worse for me, because it was so much better.
Old 05-19-10, 09:59 AM
ATX

locke came back to the main island alone...where is claire?
Old 05-19-10, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by ATX
locke came back to the main island alone...where is claire?
The same place Ben, Miles, and Ricardo were the past 3 weeks.
Old 05-19-10, 10:04 AM
ATX

Originally Posted by Timber
The same place Ben, Miles, and Ricardo were the past 3 weeks.
so, should someone make a new 'missing' sign?
Old 05-19-10, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone else notice that all of Season 6 takes place in about a week, at least, that's what I gathered from what Miles said. This season will probably be easier to swallow when watched quickly over DVD/Blu-ray than week after week on air.
Old 05-19-10, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JayDerek
It actually DIDN'T say his name the first time we saw it in Season 1's finale. Fans thought they heard it say his name...and played that up in Season 2 when made Hurley comment on it.
I remember Hurley saying "did that bird just say my name?" Then someone else is like, "yeah, I believe it did." Buh?
Old 05-19-10, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I predict come Sunday night, the LOST thread is going to EXPLODE like Juliet hitting the bomb with that rock.
Old 05-19-10, 10:21 AM

Did they really 'drop' the Walt storyline? I mean, last time we saw Walt with Locke, he said he had been having dreams of Locke on the island, wearing a suit, surrounded by people who wanted to hurt him.' Now, this is probably nothing, but it could play out in the finale.

I always just assumed Walt was special because of his connection with Locke; he talked him out of killing himself in that Dharma grave, instructed him on what to do, has dreams about him, etc.

I'm not too upset with this theory. I'm more hung up on getting resolution to all of the character arcs than the outrigger scene (which was blown up by the internet fans). Just tie in the alt with a reasonable explanation, and give me a halfway decent finale. Thats all I want.
Old 05-19-10, 10:28 AM

They answered the outrigger question in this episode:

MIB to Ben: Who's outrigger is that?"
Ben: "Widmore's"
Old 05-19-10, 10:28 AM

I think the bonus 20 minutes on the DVD set will be a series of 10 second scenes explaining all of the irrelevant questions, including the outrigger scene. Following each snippet, C&L saying "BOOM, Roasted".

Close with C&L flipping the bird to all of us...

Last edited by Beehut; 05-19-10 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-19-10, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thought the episode was great, but didn't like Hurley's last comment about being glad it wasn't him. I always saw Hurley as the kind, protector-type and the comment seemed to go against everything he was.
Old 05-19-10, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nobody has mentioned Rousseau's return yet. I thought it was great to see her again, especially a normal, cleaned-up, non-crazy version.

And her comment about making Ben come to dinner "even if we have to kidnap you" made me snort.

Also, Ben's moment when he realized that Alex looked up to him as a father figure was one of the best this season. In fact, the argument could be made that this entire episode centered around Alex and the emotional repercussions of what happened to her.

It's moments like that, and the relationships between the characters, that have made this journey worthwhile and will have me rewatching this entire series once it's over, regardless of questions and answers (or a lack thereof).
Old 05-19-10, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by achau9598
Thought the episode was great, but didn't like Hurley's last comment about being glad it wasn't him. I always saw Hurley as the kind, protector-type and the comment seemed to go against everything he was.
Hurley is a simple man who just wants to own a chicken joint, not be the guardian of some psychotic island. I don't blame him...
Old 05-19-10, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Beehut
Everytime I see the Sayid sub-bomb scene, I try to figure out why he didn't throw the bomb into the room where he exploded, unless he believed he really was "infected" and shouldn't live.
Because just moving the bomb to a different part of the submarine doesn't really do much to protect them outside of the immediate explosion. No matter where it was it would cause damage that would sink the ship.

I think of it as similar to a soldier covering a grenade to protect fellow troops. By holding onto the bomb, he shielded part of the explosion and maybe bought them a few more minutes.
Old 05-19-10, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ATX
Jack is a perfect example, Lighthouse showed that Jack was being voyeur'd since childhood, yet Jacob never interacted with jack until the vending machine
OK, now that's just disturbing. Jacob watches you while you masturbate.
Old 05-19-10, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Merkin Muffley
Old 05-19-10, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Merkin Muffley
Old 05-19-10, 11:11 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I found this old joke theory of mine from 2004:

Originally Posted by Groucho
What is the monster? My guess is a t-rex. Or maybe Zombie Dad when he gets angry?
Turned out to be close to the truth!

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/5471271-post6.html
Old 05-19-10, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 982 Likes on 692 Posts

Regarding the numbers, wasn't all that addressed in the "LOST Experience" online game? I realize it's not the show, so it's not "canon," but didn't it explain the numbers as some sort all-encompassing magic equation that somehow explained life? And that one of Dharma's main goals was to figure out ways to alter that equation? I'm sure it's all spelled out on Lostpedia somewhere. After all that the producers decided to move on and explicitly stated we had seen the last of the numbers stuff.

I'm inclined to agree with what DVDJosh said about "this being what the show is now." The whole Jacob thing is the focus of the final season and that other stuff doesn't matter now. (it matters to us, just not the writers.) It's kind of sad becuase they are obviously just clearing out anyone and anything that doesn't pertain to the direction they've gone. Basically nothing that has happened up until the last few episodes even matters. Why did Jacob wait until now to tell these people why they were there? Did anyone other than these last 4 characters even matter or were they just bystanders? They added so many new characters to the cast over the years but in the end, other than MIB and Jacob, only Desmond and Ben seem to have any relevance. And I think the only reason they keep Ben around is because he's a fun character and a good antagonist. Richard and Widmore seemed like they were important but ultimately meant nothing. Why is Miles still around? I've been waiting 3 years for them to do something interesting with him and it's never happened. Did Illana serve any purpose at all? I think back and can't help but feel like every minute of screen time she got could have been spent on things that actually mattered.

I've been working my way through The Wire for the first time (just finished season 4) and I realize it's completely different from Lost, but it's amazing to me how they were able to weave so many characters in and out of the story and keep them all relevant. Even the minor ones. I wish the same could be said about Lost. It's the show that re-introduced me to TV. I hadn't watched a show regularly as it aired since around the time X-Files ended and the Simpsons stopped being good. I love the show and it's provided me with countless hours of entertainment and I'm excited for the finale, but I just haven't cared for the direction it's taken this season. Some of the episodes this year have been great (mostly because I've enjoyed seeing old characters), but when it comes right down to it, I just don't care about these two god twins and their problems. In fact if I had to pick a side, I'd go with MIB. He's the far more interesting character. I just really hope that the ending involves some kind of "reset" and that the characters *I* love achieve some sort of happiness. As it's playing out now, everyone will have died just so Jack could find his "purpose."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.