TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

NBC Officially Cancels Heroes

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-10, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: NBC Officially Cancels Heroes

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca

I've watched the show from the start and I have no idea who the 2 characters on the right are?

I would have liked to see it stick around with new writers and perhaps an "All New, All Different" type of thing. Not sad to see it go in it's current state though.
Old 05-15-10, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

^^ The guy on the right is Isaac the artist and the girl is Simone who was his girlfriend. Peter had a thing for her in season 1.
Old 05-15-10, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
^^ The guy on the right is Isaac the artist and the girl is Simone who was his girlfriend. Peter had a thing for her in season 1.
Wow, completely forgot about Isaac.
Old 05-15-10, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
Wow, completely forgot about Isaac.
Of course you did, because they recycled his character every god damn season. We couldn't go a year without someone being able to paint the future, you know.
Old 05-15-10, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
I'm copying that to paste into the LOST finale thread. In all seriousness, I have always felt these shows were creative cousins of a sort. Heroes was really good in its first season when LOST, well, lost me for a bit, but otherwise Heroes has been the far inferior cousin.
I can't really agree with this. Lost was so out there from the get go that I personally never imposed any expectations on the show. It was so unpredictable that I was always content to let that show take me wherever it went.

On the other hand, the first season of Heroes set out a particular kind of story (ordinary people discover extraordinary abilities) and then completely abandoned that after season one. The writers never understood what it was that attracted the audience to the show that first season. They just figured that the more people with abilities they could cram into the show the better.

For example, the character of Matt Parkman. We spend the entire first season getting into his marital problems and rooting for this underdog cop. Then in the second season, he leaves both his wife and his job.
Old 05-16-10, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wearetheborg
I say yes, season one is enjoyable; and there IS sort of a conclusion at the end of S1. I say watch S1; but do NOT watch S2 and beyond. Some obvious cliffhanger at the end of S1; but S1 stands on its own, and no unresolved storylines.
Heroes was good until the finale of S1, which was stupid. After that I never got back into it at all. Being a former comic book fan, I usually will force myself to watch this kind of stuff, hoping it will get better. But Heroes is one of the few shows I've actually dropped after 2 years. It is written with the mentality of a comic book writer of the 50's. It could have been great in other hands, but the producer and writers (and maybe the networks) had no real clue on how to do an effective serialized show.
Old 05-16-10, 11:58 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it went off course right after the season 1 finale and after that it was doomed. The producers/writers were constantly trying to course-correct from that point on and each 'reboot' just did more damage. How many times did they claim they were "going back to what made season 1 work" (i.e. regular people living with superhuman abilities in their regular lives), only to completely ignore that promise within an episode or two?
Old 05-16-10, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
http://livefeed.hollywoodreporter.co...ls-heroes.html

Question, I have yet to finish the last 5 eps of season 4. Does it end with any sense of closure or no?
It doesn't, so don't waste your time. They played it like another season finale.
Old 05-16-10, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
It doesn't, so don't waste your time. They played it like another season finale.
Another in a string of horrible season finales.
Old 05-16-10, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think the show really turned south after the main hero traveled with his girlfriend who he supposedly loved into a dystopian future and then stranded her there, never to speak of her again.
Old 05-16-10, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just finished the final five episodes this weekend and I think the ending was about the same sub-par quality the show has had for a while. Things didn't play out that great, but they didn't leave a lot hanging other then the 5 minute preview/setup for the next chapter. There was actually quite a bit of resolution, or at least as close to is as any of the main characters ever get on the show.
Old 05-17-10, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DarkestPhoenix
I think the show really turned south after the main hero traveled with his girlfriend who he supposedly loved into a dystopian future and then stranded her there, never to speak of her again.
Yeah. The dropped threads got a little too obvious. You'd think they'd have done SOMETHING about stuff like this...but no...just ignore it.
Old 05-17-10, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkestPhoenix
Maybe it is like Back to the Future, the timeline is changed so it the future will alter itself to the new timeline. If they saved it, she'll be fine in the new timeline.
Old 05-17-10, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
Yeah. The dropped threads got a little too obvious. You'd think they'd have done SOMETHING about stuff like this...but no...just ignore it.
She's hanging out with Ritchie's older brother Chuck Cunningham.
Old 05-17-10, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by resinrats
Maybe it is like Back to the Future, the timeline is changed so it the future will alter itself to the new timeline. If they saved it, she'll be fine in the new timeline.
Yeah.....fine and stranded in a time that is not her own. Either way, it's fucked up.

Also, I have a problem with that whole idea anyway. It shouldn't change, it should be one of the multiple worldlines.
Old 05-18-10, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh boy, Heroes. Like everyone else, I loved this show in the first season. Lost confidence in the second season and dropped it in the third in disgust. Would you ever admit to being a writer for seasons 2-4? How many times can Sylar turn good, then evil, then good, then evil, then..? How many times can Hiro's powers be mysteriously taken away? How many times can Mohinder be tricked into working for the bad guy, seriously? How many times can New York be put in danger? How many paint-the-future guys are there in the world, and why can none of them use this information to save themselves? How many twin sisters does what's-her-name have, again?

Heroes was like a '70s sitcom... nothing important ever changed. Not sad to see it go.
Old 05-18-10, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 349 Likes on 268 Posts

I gave up on the show mostly because (I think I stopped at 3.5):

1. Claire complains about being sheltered by her father
2. Noah tells her she needs to be protected

IN EVERY DAMN EPISODE!!!!!!!!
Old 05-18-10, 09:05 AM

This is what happens when you fire your two head writers midway through the 2nd season (about when the show fell off a cliff).

http://www.realitytvlounge.com/forum...ad.php?t=17756
Old 05-18-10, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Judremy
This is what happens when you fire your two head writers midway through the 2nd season (about when the show fell off a cliff).

http://www.realitytvlounge.com/forum...ad.php?t=17756
It was in the middle of the third season (as the link states), and they totally deserved it.
Old 05-18-10, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Haven't looked back since S02E04. What a bunch of squandered potential.
Old 05-18-10, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So glad that I stopped watching at the end of Season 3. My only regret is that I didn't stop watching sooner...
Old 05-18-10, 01:39 PM

Nice little bit there at end from The Hollywood Reporter:

Tim Kring makes statement on 'Heroes' cancellation
A statement regarding “Heroes” cancellation from creator Tim Kring ...

Regarding NBC’s decision not to renew the international hit “Heroes” for a fifth season, creator and executive producer, and award winning transmedia storyteller, Tim Kring commented:
“I want to first extend my deepest gratitude and heartfelt appreciation to the legion of enthusiastic fans who have watched ‘Heroes’ on TV, online, DVR, DVD and mobile over the last four seasons.

Every week more than 45 million TV viewers around the world, as well as millions of social and digital media-based fans, have made ‘Heroes’ one of the five most-watched shows across traditional and digital media screens in the history of television.

For NBC, I certainly understand the challenge of creating a business model around a show which arrived precisely as the audience was finding new ways to watch traditional content on multiple screens.

I personally have had 12 great years with my friends at NBC, and with ‘Heroes,’ they provided me a rare opportunity to put a message of hope, interconnectivity and global consciousness into the world. For that I am grateful and look forward to finalizing our discussion about a number of ways to keep the ‘Heroes’ universe alive for its fans.”
I don't know about you. But I wanted more from this statement. I mean it started really good and I was all into it, then it got kind of confusing and I wasn't sure if Kring knew where he was going with narrative. By the end of the statement, I was just looking for closure.
Old 05-18-10, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^

his writing is just like his scripts... confusing
Old 05-18-10, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sheesh, talk about trying to put a spin on it. "We're getting cancelled because people watch TV differently now..." No, you're getting cancelled cause your show blows.
Old 05-18-10, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I blame Kring for all this. He never really acknowledged or changed any of the problems. He just kept letting writers go.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.