Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lost -- "Across the Sea" -- 05/11/10

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-10, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Groucho
This episode gives more weight to my "exploded TARDIS" theory.

Consider: Mother refers to the cave as the "heart of the island", it emits a golden glow.
Likewise, in Doctor Who the "heart of the TARDIS" also emits a golden glow.

On Lost, coming in contact with the "heart" grants supernatural powers (smoke monster), including the ability to grant immortality. Ditto in Doctor Who (bad wolf).
If the Daleks show up in the finale, I swear I'll never watch TV again.
Old 05-13-10, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: Lost -- "Across the Sea" -- 05/11/10

Originally Posted by Timber
I'm torn. I "liked" the episode but hated the placement. If this was the first or second episode of the season I would have been fine with it but to be the penultimate episode of the entire run it was horrible.

I've already talked about not letting us know his name was Cosmo which I feel was not only a cop out but lazy writing.
This is exactly how I feel. It was an okay episode, but it would have been a great episode 8 weeks ago. Instead knowing there is precious little time left, all the flaws are magnified tenfold. If it was earlier in the season we could have been blindly expecting some more resolution down the line. It may not have come, but the impact of not explaining things, hitting us over the head with Adam & Eve, or clueing us into Cosmo wouldn't have been the same. Instead, all of these things come across as a slap in the face to the fans.

It all comes down to their misguided desire to keep us in the dark far longer than we should have been about Jacob and Cosmo.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 05-13-10 at 07:45 PM.
Old 05-13-10, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Am I the only one feel that they decided to NOT name the Man in Black after deciding no name would satisfy us, and instead they could make it a part of the tragic story for his character? I mean, seriously, his mother had NO NAME in mind for him, and his fake mother didn't care to name him either. So while Jacob gets to grow up having a name to connect with his identity he GOT NOTHING. I think it's fitting.
Old 05-13-10, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm not so sure he's not going to get a name. How many times have Darlton said 'so and so wouldn't happen' and it eventually did? Look at Time Travel and the ALT.

Consider that they decided to leave him nameless, and they view it as an issue that isnt central to the story they are telling. Why then would they have the MiB ask Desmond if he know who he was??? That would seem like excessive teasing of the fans. Same with the Outrigger sequence. Teasing the fans by having various characters travel to and from Hydra island. If that scene was from S1 I could understand them dropping it after so long, but it was just in the S5 finale! The more I think about, I believe we'll see the conclusion of that as well.
Old 05-13-10, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
I'm not so sure he's not going to get a name. How many times have Darlton said 'so and so wouldn't happen' and it eventually did? Look at Time Travel and the ALT.
The only name that would actually have any impact at this point would be Lucifer or something like that.

A name is not something I would consider to be a mystery so to set something up like that a week before the finale wouldn't made any sense.
Old 05-13-10, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GenPion
Am I the only one feel that they decided to NOT name the Man in Black after deciding no name would satisfy us, and instead they could make it a part of the tragic story for his character? I mean, seriously, his mother had NO NAME in mind for him, and his fake mother didn't care to name him either. So while Jacob gets to grow up having a name to connect with his identity he GOT NOTHING. I think it's fitting.
They sledge hammered us with everything else in that ep. If this was their purpose, why not have child-MIB ask what his name is and get that out through dialogue?
Old 05-13-10, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

His name is "brother" and he wears black.
Old 05-13-10, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
His name is "brother" and he wears black.
I thought it was Manny Black.
Old 05-13-10, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I think I would have liked this explanation better if mother simply told them that the island is a more or less a scale that maintains a balance of the evils of the world and good of the world. It has to stay in balance so that the world as a whole continues on. The smoke represents the conglomeration of the evil and the "substitue" is the maintainer of balance (keeper of the faith). I could then just accept that the smoke monster is that entity and has to be kept on the island and over the years his curiosity grows as he assume the identities of people that he has absorbed. The light in Wonka's cave just made it all silly.
Old 05-13-10, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
His name is "brother"
Old 05-13-10, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
I know a few pages have passed since you said this, but it's not just that they said it, it's HOW they said it:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20010504,00.html
That's a great read. Thanks for the link. It solidifies my belief that the writers have been selling us horseshit for the last several seasons. Anagram revealing a clue as to the origin of Adam and Eve? Gonna be hard to do when Brother Cosmos doesn't even have a name.

The question/answer about Kate's horse is particularly revealing, to wit:

And yet, Kate's horse is real. It is living in the physical world. Sawyer sees it; Kate goes up and touches it. Does the horse bear a striking resemblance to a horse that provided her an escape in her past as a fugitive, or is it the same exact horse? That is a fundamental question. Look at the show in total. Now look at me. I am what your show could have been. Now look at Christian Shepherd [Jack's dad]. Sadly he is not me. Look at Yemi [Eko's brother]. Back at me. Here's some diamonds. Now they are coal. Here's the horse.
Old 05-14-10, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

After every single episode we have complaints like "but they specifically said....." and "that makes no sense since they said...."

I think the best thing for all os us to do is stop reading interviews with Darlton. Stop listening to what they say and just watch the show. Judge it based on what's shown and not on what those two say.
Old 05-14-10, 06:29 AM
ATX

^ yeah i don't participate in commentary from writers to explain things in the show, i mean damn watch the show, pay attention and try to follow the story being told

anyways, why do people keep bringing up Niki/Paulo (i guess they are referring to expose); that episode wasn't bad. was a great way to tell the bckgrnd story and kill off new characters that they forced on the viewers in the first place

your better off referencing that ugly asian girl episode where jack is getting marked up. and only half that episode was bad. erase the b-story flashback and its watchable

anyways i'm over across the sea, watched it a couple more times and i'm moving on. i have a theory... just really that the combination of high acticipation of this greatest episode + the fact that the main characters were not there (you realize that shows suck if the characters aren't great) led to the disaster
Old 05-14-10, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did anyone else find it particularly annoying when they went from speaking Latin to soaking English? We've had previous episodes wi larges amounts of subtitles,why change it now?
Old 05-14-10, 07:26 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by kaze0
Did anyone else find it particularly annoying when they went from speaking Latin to soaking English? We've had previous episodes wi larges amounts of subtitles,why change it now?
Between Sun and Jin speaking English to each other, this, and of course the ham-fisted "Adam and Eve" flashback it seems apparent that the producers have decided to "dumb it down" for these final episodes.
Old 05-14-10, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by kaze0
I didn't mind this. Personally I don't mind subtitles, but given the entire episode was dedicated to Jacob and Cosmo we would have had 45 minutes of subtitles. Practically speaking, I wouldn't expect the actors to learn an entire episode's worth of dialog in a dead language. I thought the transition was fine.
Old 05-14-10, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Not to mention they've used these transitions already. I know for the sayid Iraq flashbacks, at the very least.
Old 05-14-10, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GenPion
Totally agree. People are blowing this way out of proportion and, what's worse, looking at the show in very literal terms. This is a mythology that the writers have created. Good or bad, like it or not, but stop demanding realism or believability from this show.

I mean, do people get pissed when they read Stephen King's The Gunslinger and the Man in Black () is never given a name? He's a mythological figure.
Old 05-14-10, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually the man in black from the Stephen King stories has many names:

Spoiler:
He was Randal Flagg in the stand. Marten in Dark Tower, and the other names I can't remember.
Old 05-14-10, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by XavierMike
Actually the man in black from the Stephen King stories has many names:

Spoiler:
He was Randal Flagg in the stand. Marten in Dark Tower, and the other names I can't remember.
Walter o'Dim
Old 05-14-10, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's why I said The Gunslinger and not The Dark Tower, The Stand, or anything else.
Old 05-14-10, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Between Sun and Jin speaking English to each other, this, and of course the ham-fisted "Adam and Eve" flashback it seems apparent that the producers have decided to "dumb it down" for these final episodes.
They have "Dumbed it down" well before this season, but I don't consider it "Dumbing it down"......its more convenient to be able to hear it in English, so we can watch the characters, rather than to have to watch the subtitles.

Its happened before plenty of times throughout the run of the show, like when Jacob meets llanna in the hospital, and it happens MANY times in the movies.

Valkyrie has Germans speaking in English, with a German accent for instance.
Old 05-14-10, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by calhoun07
2) the Walt story line is the most frustrating thing in the course of the series. It was evident they had bigger plans for the character and his aging could have played in after the time travel stuff. Is there any reason they gave for not wrapping his story line up? The creators said they had more in mind for him but I doubt it was just Locke going to visit him to tell him the island was done with him. Did the actor want out of the show or something?
Maybe because, not only did he age, he aged into a terrible actor.
Old 05-14-10, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I edited my post to make it easier to read since it was a wall of text before, but does no one have any thoughts on it (post #550)?

Last edited by Jamezuva; 05-14-10 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05-14-10, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Only 15 pages here chief.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.