TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lost -- "Across the Sea" -- 05/11/10

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-10, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Lost -- "Across the Sea" -- 05/11/10

Originally Posted by Timber

That's just a douche statement right there. Maybe the reason I still like the show is because I don't read interviews with these pompous assholes.
Seriously, between the way these guys talk and the way they look I'd be willing to put 50/50 odds that if they were to be at my local bar someone would pick a fight with them even if the subject of Lost never came up; they just seem like douches in general.
Old 05-12-10, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant11
Seriously, between the way these guys talk and the way they look I'd be willing to put 50/50 odds that if they were to be at my local bar someone would pick a fight with them even if the subject of Lost never came up; they just seem like douches in general.
C&L Disposable Douche. That will likely be the next product they offer after this show airs.
Old 05-12-10, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
This seems to be the only place where the posters are not sucking this episode's cock. Everywhere else I have went it seems like the majority are raving about how great this episode is. Hell, I really love this series but I also know when to say that something just doesn't live up to expectations.

Where else do you go? It's getting raped over at Lostpedia.
Old 05-12-10, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

This episode didn't answer every question, but it did answer some, so I don't know why some people say it was just filler. We learned (or it was confirmed)...

...Jacob and MIB are not God and the Devil or gods in general.
...Jacob and MIB were born on the island and brought there right before they were born.
...MIB wasn't born evil.
...MIB's motivation for wanting to leave the island.
...where/why Jacob came up with the idea for his game and the rules that govern it.
...who Adam and Eve were and how/why they died.
...Jacob and MIB can hurt/kill each other even though their mom said they couldn't.
...Jacob and MIB's mom lied to them and was capable of murder.
...MIB was good at lying and was capable of murder.
...Jacob sucked at lying but was capable of murder.
...Jacob and MIB's mom came to the island by accident, so she wasn't always there (assuming she wasn't lying to Jacob and MIB's birth mom).
...how Jacob and MIB's birth mom died.
...Jacob and MIB's birth mom's name.
...Jacob is older than MIB.
...where/why Jacob got his talent for weaving.
...MIB was considered to be special by his mom.
...the Cave of Light is life, death and rebirth and the heart of the island.
...how/why Jacob (and presumably his mom too) became ageless.
...how the Smoke Monster was created or at least how he was set free from the Cave of Light.
...being the Smoke Monster is a fate worse than death.
...who built the donkey wheel and why/when.
...the reason why MIB thinks other people in general are bad.

Last edited by Joe Schmoe; 05-12-10 at 11:00 PM.
Old 05-12-10, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Man, I started to complaining about 2 episodes into this season. I was fucking shredded in those episodes when I was saying these writers obviously had no plan. Wow, it has changed. I remember DarkestPhoenix basically calling me a troll, and now he's in the chorus of haters.

I'm just watching because I have gone this far. There is ZERO way for them to end this where I will want to purchase the show on BD.

Darlton are fucking dickheads. So condescending. For the quality of writing they have produced they need to be a little more humble. I will be very wary of any future projects from these guys. They have lost all goodwill I had for them.
Old 05-12-10, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It would be awesome if the glowing light was a Dharma station that got transported waaay back in time, and thusly started the whole mess.
Old 05-12-10, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An interesting article from Cuse and Lindeloff:

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-al...across-the-sea
Old 05-12-10, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So what is this outrigger thing again? Because I can't recall...what is the big mystery everybody is pissed won't be solved?
Old 05-12-10, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Holy shit this thread is almost reaching 500 posts. And it's been barely more than 24 hours since it aired. The finale thread is going to be huge.

In comparison, The Sopranos final episode currently has 999 posts (that's two threads combined).
Old 05-13-10, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

CC: I think for us to explain why we're not giving him a name veers too far into the territory of explaining things that we don't feel the need to explain.
That sounds like a very wordy way of saying "fuck you. That's why."
Old 05-13-10, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by calhoun07
So what is this outrigger thing again? Because I can't recall...what is the big mystery everybody is pissed won't be solved?
When our heroes were flashing thru time last season, they used a boat to get to some where else to save time. They started getting shot at from folks on another boat, Juliet fired back, hitting at least one, then a flash came and they were in the middle of a thunderstorm.

People wanted to see that loop close and see was actually doing he shooting. Oh well.
Old 05-13-10, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
I don't know why people were disappointed by the yellow light in the cave. I'm not sure what people were expecting. We've seen similar bright light before coming from the island.
That's actually one of the few things I liked about this episode. There was no blunt explanation for it, but it harkens back to things we've seen/heard previously in the series: Ben turning the donkey wheel and Faraday commenting that light was "different" on the island in particular.

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
C&L Disposable Douche. That will likely be the next product they offer after this show airs.
No doubt they'd slap a Dharma logo on it.

When Sawyer's group was skipping through time last season, there was one point where a bunch of them piled into an outrigger and took off on the ocean. I don't recall all the details, but someone definitely started shooting at them from another outrigger, and when the camera cut to the other boat, all you could make out were silhouettes. Shortly after that, Sawyer's group skipped through time again. (Source)
Old 05-13-10, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SuckaMC
When our heroes were flashing thru time last season, they used a boat to get to some where else to save time. They started getting shot at from folks on another boat, Juliet fired back, hitting at least one, then a flash came and they were in the middle of a thunderstorm.

People wanted to see that loop close and see was actually doing he shooting. Oh well.
I remember that scene. At the time, I just assumed it was some version of The Others shooting at them, but who knows? In the big picture, I don't think it mattered who it was since Sawyer & Co. spent very little time in that period (whenever it was).
Old 05-13-10, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

The first thing I thought of when I saw the cave of light is the Garden of Eden. When Adam and Eve were cast from the Garden of Eden, God placed an angel with a flaming sword at the garden so they could never enter again.

Whether it's actually supposed to be the Garden of Eden or a metaphorical representation of it, it makes sense that the island IS the Garden of Eden in some way. The light cave may be the source of life for all and the first protector of the island was an angel of God. Since then, the angel had to find somebody to replace them and so on until Jacob and MIB and now apparently Jack.

That's just a rough idea...how that ties into every minute detail I don't know. But when you said it was the source of all civilization it reminded me that was my first thought when I saw the cave. And the water was the river of life...that's why drinking from it made them immortal.
That is the best theory I have seen that salvages to a degree the mess we saw in the episode. I doubt the writers will go in that direction, but it gives some plausibility to the events we have seen.

I would have been much happier if they had simply gone in one direction or the other, a pure science basis (aliens or time travel) or a pure faith explanation like your theory.
Old 05-13-10, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
That is the best theory I have seen that salvages to a degree the mess we saw in the episode. I doubt the writers will go in that direction, but it gives some plausibility to the events we have seen.

I would have been much happier if they had simply gone in one direction or the other, a pure science basis (aliens or time travel) or a pure faith explanation like your theory.
I think one of the reasons that they didn't clearly go in one direction or the other is so that they could say that nobody definitively figured out their plan before it is shown to you. It is apparent that these guys have to egos that they're trying to appease rather than keeping the fans happy to the end, which they should be doing.
Old 05-13-10, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That earlier-posted photoshop job with Damon's head claiming "it's all magic, he doesn't have to explain shit" nailed it.

Fuck him and his condescending attitude. How convenient for him to now claim it's all about character development when it's obvious he has no ability to finish what he started.
Old 05-13-10, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

The thing about the Adam and Eve scene is it was written and shot 6 years ago. At that time, I don't think Damon, Jeffrey Lieber or JJ had a fucking clue what the direction of the show was going to be. My memory is extremely foggy of season 1, but I distinctly remember the show was promoted and pretty much all the episodes were an island action-adventure with some relationship drama. None of this magic cave hocus pocus alternate universe stuff from the last 2 seasons.

I don't watch this show and analyze every single little detail. I think that deprives me as a viewer from enjoying the drama/relationships in the show. I would have never guessed that Damon and Carlton would have taken that tiny little scene that noone gave a 2nd thought about to create 43 minutes of content.

Last edited by DJariya; 05-13-10 at 02:35 AM.
Old 05-13-10, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Seriously people, not knowing MIB's name is pissing you off so much? Why the hell does that matter?? There are plenty of things to be pissed about, but that's not one of them.

And continuing to whine about them not having it all planned out from the start is silly too. OF COURSE THEY DIDN'T. No matter what they said back then NOBODY has a 6 season tv show all planned out.
Not even The Shield, The Sopranos, Carnivale or Babylon 5. There might be a general idea of stuff that needs to happen and a possible ending, but nobody plans too much outside of a single season - for obvious reasons.
Old 05-13-10, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde
Seriously people, not knowing MIB's name is pissing you off so much? Why the hell does that matter?? There are plenty of things to be pissed about, but that's not one of them.
It's how they went about avoiding it while mentioning the name Jacob 50 fucking times.
Old 05-13-10, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Much of this stuff would have been better left "unanswered." By now we've all accepted the smoke monter flying around and being bound by certain rules like the pylons and only being dead people. Tryng to explain any of this with an unscientific reason just opens up more nitpicky shit.

Unless they just want us to accept this stuff and a big commentary on religion, theres really no point for them to explain anything not bound in real(or fake real) scientific theory. "Oh someone a long long time ago said this because of something they saw."

Anyway my thoughts...
So the smoke monster isn't even the MiB. MiB died and smoke monster just looked like him for a long time, probably manipulating Jacob as well. It seems Jacob was bringing people to the island(somehow) because he was lonely and/or trying to find a replacement and MiBmonster was provoking that so he would have a way of getting off the island through those people.
MiB and Jacob could hurt eachother, but Smoke monster can't hurt the protector of the island, maybe that causes something bad to happen to smokey if he kills the "candidate".That would explain why he's apparently been picking people off slowly rather than killing them all willy nillly. He's got the candidate narrowed down to a few people now + kate. He probably can't get off the island while the candidate is still alive.
Old 05-13-10, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I still think that the MIB's essence is the smoke monster. Why else would it be as eager to get off the island as he did? I don't know why people are separating the two.
Old 05-13-10, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SuckaMC

OK, I remember that now. I guess I just don't think it was that big of a deal...I never even thought about it after then. And now I know exactly what it was I guess I just don't care if it never gets explained. It wasn't that big of a deal, I guess.
Old 05-13-10, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
The thing about the Adam and Eve scene is it was written and shot 6 years ago. At that time, I don't think Damon, Jeffrey Lieber or JJ had a fucking clue what the direction of the show was going to be.
Then they need to stop jerking themselves off with this talk of how it is proof that they had this grand scheme. Fuck them and their egos.
Old 05-13-10, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've come to the conclusion that everyone in the world is dead. And smokey is out in the real world playing with their bodies like dolls
Old 05-13-10, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
The thing about the Adam and Eve scene is it was written and shot 6 years ago. At that time, I don't think Damon, Jeffrey Lieber or JJ had a fucking clue what the direction of the show was going to be. My memory is extremely foggy of season 1, but I distinctly remember the show was promoted and pretty much all the episodes were an island action-adventure with some relationship drama. None of this magic cave hocus pocus alternate universe stuff from the last 2 seasons.

I don't watch this show and analyze every single little detail. I think that deprives me as a viewer from enjoying the drama/relationships in the show. I would have never guessed that Damon and Carlton would have taken that tiny little scene that noone gave a 2nd thought about to create 43 minutes of content.
The way ABC promoted it and the idea the creators had for the show could very well be two different things. I avoided the show for the longest time because it was being promoted as an action adventure type thing. Then articles started to appear in various sci-fi magazines and I realized there was more to this show than meets the eye.

And I don't think anybody is really saying they had it all figured out from the beginning. Even the creators themselves admit that.

So here's another question I've been contemplating...did the electric fence around the Dharma camp not actually keep Smoky out to avoid him from killing everybody but because they had access to the donkey wheel behind the fence and they didn't want him leaving? I am sure we aren't going to get any more answers from the show on Dharma, but I hope the donkey wheel is revisited again when MIB tries to leave the island.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.