Castle -- "Overkill" -- 05/10/10

Old 05-10-10, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Castle -- "Overkill" -- 05/10/10

Castle

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
A robbery-homicide prompts Beckett to invite Demming to assist on a case, giving Castle a ringside seat to their budding romance. When it becomes clear that the two men have very different ideas about how to proceed, the investigation becomes an unspoken competition for Beckett's attention, one in which each man races to solve the case, as Beckett referees between her two admirers.

Special Guest Star:

Michael Trucco as Tom Demming

Next week is the season finale.

In case you missed the 2-part episode from March that featured Dana Delany, ABC is re-aring it on Saturday the 15th and 22nd.
Old 05-10-10, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
Re: Castle -- "Overkill" -- 05/10/10

I hope Michael Trucco is a semi-regular next season. Likewise for Julie Gonzalo.

I don't want either to have too major a role in the show (that would eat up too much screentime from the dynamic the whole cast has developed) but have them appear every so often as I enjoy their dynamic with Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic respectively.
Old 05-10-10, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I hope Michael Trucco is a semi-regular next season. Likewise for Julie Gonzalo.

I don't want either to have too major a role in the show (that would eat up too much screentime from the dynamic the whole cast has developed) but have them appear every so often as I enjoy their dynamic with Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic respectively.
No I don't think they can make Trucco a series regular next season. That would eat up way too much screentime & piss off Castle-Beckett fans and the show has alot of supporting characters already. It depends on what happens in these last 2 episodes & his availability for him to recur again.
Old 05-11-10, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it just me or is the title of this episode a good description of the plot complexity..
Old 05-11-10, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
No I don't think they can make Trucco a series regular next season. That would eat up way too much screentime & piss off Castle-Beckett fans and the show has alot of supporting characters already. It depends on what happens in these last 2 episodes & his availability for him to recur again.
That's why I said semi-regular. Just have his character recur for 8 or 10 episodes sprinkled throughout the season. And in some those episodes just as a cameo. Kinda like the captain.
Old 05-11-10, 06:23 PM

The just keep dragging this thing on. Three episodes in a row. It's a major distraction. I hope the rest of Castle's fans keep watching and enjoying, but I'll probably find a new show if this keeps up. It's too depressing, and there's plenty of that already on the news.
Old 05-11-10, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by outlander78
The just keep dragging this thing on. Three episodes in a row. It's a major distraction. I hope the rest of Castle's fans keep watching and enjoying, but I'll probably find a new show if this keeps up. It's too depressing, and there's plenty of that already on the news.
What's so depressing?

Was it my imagination, or was Stana Katic's hair longer than it has been in past eps, and did she also seem to be wearing outfits that were more form fitting?

I agree about the plot seeming a bit too complex for its own good. But overall enjoyable. I have to say, the scene where Castle saw Beckett kiss Demmings really reminded me of my college days, where I took a liking to many a girl only to see her give her affections to another. Most of the time it involved a sorority girl going for a frat guy, and I wasn't greek, just as Castle isn't a cop. Go figure.
Old 05-11-10, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Her hair did seem longer and fuller this episode.

If I recall the thread for the last episode correctly, outlander78 is upset about the inclusion of Michael Trucco's character. Although I fail to see how it's as depressing as the news.
Old 05-12-10, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was watching The Spirit the other day (I know, I know but that has the best looking female cast in one film!) and Stana Katic looked great in the cops outfit.
Old 05-12-10, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I feel no shame owning The Spirit. Eva Mendez, Stana Katic, and Paz Vega are three reasons why. Besides, it's amusingly cheesy.
Old 05-12-10, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I loved her character in The Spirit.
Old 05-12-10, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Axeramm
I loved her character in The Spirit.
Yeah, she was all bubbly and cute in that movie. It's like Beckett had a little sister that was hooked on pixie stix.
Old 05-12-10, 05:45 AM

Her hair did seem longer and fuller this episode.

If I recall the thread for the last episode correctly, outlander78 is upset about the inclusion of Michael Trucco's character. Although I fail to see how it's as depressing as the news.
That's where my annoyance comes from. There is a lot of bad news lately. I look to entertainment for escapism. For the past year I looked forward each week to the next Castle episode as a reliable, funny break from reality - in my opinion, it was the most reliably entertaining, fun show on television.

However, for the last three weeks, Castle has ended on a sour note, and from what I gather, that is the plan going forward for the season finale and next season. It's just a downer - shows of Castle's quality are rare, and now instead of a fun hour that closed with either a family scene or Castle and Beckett joking around, we get Castle looking like a sad puppy dog at the end of each show.

So, can anyone suggest a good light-hearted show to replace Castle? The closest I have found are The Cosby Show, Monk, Magnum P.I. and Murder, She Wrote. Can anyone name a similar one that is still on-going? (The Mentalist has gone the same route lately, using relationship woes as a source of drama, so I lost my fall-back at about the same time as Castle went south.)
Old 05-12-10, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's where my annoyance comes from. There is a lot of bad news lately. I look to entertainment for escapism. For the past year I looked forward each week to the next Castle episode as a reliable, funny break from reality - in my opinion, it was the most reliably entertaining, fun show on television.
In anticipation of your disgust after next week's season finale, I shall bid you adieu in advance.

I agree that the plot was pretty complex. I'm glad I waited to watch it Tuesday right after work instead of 10-11-ish on Monday because I would have been completely flummoxed. On the other hand, the parallel structure between the homicide and robbery aspects of the case was extremely clever and was honestly pretty darn intricate. My question would be wouldn't Blake get the murder rap and the woman get attempted murder since she didn't really end his life?

What was all that stuff in the final commercial break about "get ready for Castle's summer season"? I have read nothing about new episodes when ABC launches their new summer shows...

Last edited by rfduncan; 05-12-10 at 07:41 AM.
Old 05-12-10, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by rfduncan
In anticipation of your disgust after next week's season finale, I shall bid you adieu in advance.
Why the odd reaction? Is it so strange that I want to be entertained by television shows, and want something positive to enjoy?
Old 05-12-10, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why the odd reaction? Is it so strange that I want to be entertained by television shows, and want something positive to enjoy?
Not at all except you posted these gripes in last week's thread. I'd like to discuss this week's episode as opposed to further elaborating/discussing your disdain for the "romantic tension business" - which is in theory MUCH more than that now that the triangle is going full tilt (the whole point of this episode!).

If you'd like to discuss why this episode didn't enhance every aspect of this dramedy (which it is more than the comedy with a "whodunit" you seem to be under the misunderstanding it is/was), then proceed. Otherwise, you've just posted an extension of your participation in last week's thread.

Some people find different types of escapism provide them entertainment. Yours appears to be happy, happy, joy, joy. Some people just like to watch conflict in other people's situations to distract them from their own or help them see that their own problems aren't nearly as bad (see also any primetiem "soap"). Sorry if this show doesn't bring you the "happy" like you felt it used to, but there is no need to drone on it.

Last edited by rfduncan; 05-12-10 at 08:01 AM.
Old 05-12-10, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Nothing at all. However, to keep a show interesting, characters must sometimes experience conflict and end on a note that is not so good. This gives the character depth and something long-term by which to grow. In short, character development requires stuff like this to happen to keep the show from getting dull.
Old 05-12-10, 01:27 PM

You are right, of course.

I read an article recently in which Stana Katic said she hopes Castle and Beckett do get together, so that the show can explore their relationship (she had just watched Mr and Mrs Smith). Nathan Fillion, meanwhile, thinks the two characters should be apart until at least the final episode, as many shows tank after resolving the "will they or won't they" question.
Old 05-12-10, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by rfduncan
What was all that stuff in the final commercial break about "get ready for Castle's summer season"? I have read nothing about new episodes when ABC launches their new summer shows...
They are just repeating season 2 this summer.
Old 05-12-10, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I feel no shame owning The Spirit. Eva Mendez, Stana Katic, and Paz Vega are three reasons why. Besides, it's amusingly cheesy.

All I can do is think of that shot of Eva's ass!
Old 05-12-10, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jdslater1
All I can do is think of that shot of Eva's ass!
I'm amazed that Frank Miller had to shamelessly flatter her into doing that shot because she felt her ass wasn't good enough. That or she's a whore for praise. Whatever the case, I am so glad that BD has flawless PQ.
Old 05-13-10, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Check out the "Librarian" tv movie she did if you want to see Stana play a sexy, jazz singing vampire with an adorable french accent.
Old 05-13-10, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That was the "Judas Chalice" movie, right?
Old 05-13-10, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You can just watch Feast of Love since she's topless in it. So are Radha Mitchell, Selma Blair and Alexa Davalos.
Old 05-15-10, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Wait, you think Castle is depressing because it ended with him thinking about his attraction to Kate? At first read I thought maybe you were calling the murders depressing!?! Yea, I reccomend Monk it was always happy. Espeically Monk lying in bed at the end holding pictures of his murdered wife or seeing her ghost...

Great episode and love the whole triangle. And Stana is topless in a movie? Ive seen plenty of women enough to say "ehhh, a movie with a chick topless" but her I wanna see

Oh did anyone notice that 2 of the suspects on here were JUST on the last season of DAMAGES? Cooooool