Castle -- "Food to Die For" -- 05/03/10

Old 05-03-10, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
Castle -- "Food to Die For" -- 05/03/10

Castle

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
A high profile chef is found frozen to death in the kitchen of a hot New York restaurant. Complications ensue when Castle and the restaurant owner, an old high school girlfriend of Beckett's, share an attraction. Meanwhile, Beckett's relationship with Det. Demming continues to grow.

Michael Trucco guest stars again.

Rocco Dispirito (the celebrity chef) also guest stars.

Episode 22 of 24

BTW, the above promotional artwork ^^ Will be the artwork for the Castle season 2 DVD.
Old 05-03-10, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts
Re: Castle -- "Food to Die For" -- 05/03/10

Girlfriend girlfriend or friend girlfriend? Cos the wording of that summary makes it seem that Beckett is bi.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...
Old 05-03-10, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Girlfriend girlfriend or friend girlfriend? Cos the wording of that summary makes it seem that Beckett is bi.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...
No, your totally misreading it.

The restaurant owner is a chick, who is a friend of Beckett from High School and has the hots for Castle. Girls call their female friends Girlfriends all the time.
Old 05-03-10, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
Girls call their female friends Girlfriends all the time.
Which is why I asked if she was a girlfriend girlfriend or friend girlfriend.

My confusion arose because I didn't notice "Castle and" in the following sentence:

Spoiler:
Complications ensue when Castle and the restaurant owner, an old high school girlfriend of Beckett's, share an attraction.

I read it as

Spoiler:
Complications ensue when [...] the restaurant owner, an old high school girlfriend of Beckett's, share an attraction.

In my defense, I just woke up.
Old 05-04-10, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a major crush on Maggie (from Eli Stone) -- glad to see her on Castle. Hope this turns into a regular gig.
Old 05-04-10, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Flave
I have a major crush on Maggie (from Eli Stone) -- glad to see her on Castle. Hope this turns into a regular gig.

Having seen the ep., I think they ended it the way they did because they may intend to make her a recurring character next season. Or, perhaps a spin-off series with her character. I only think this because Julie Gonzalo seems to have the charisma and looks around which a network would love to build a show, and they gave her more personality than they have with other pretty faced guest stars.
Old 05-04-10, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Two Veronica Mars alums in this episode. Maggie played the girl who
Spoiler:
was raped and had her head shaved in the third season
, and the murderer was Leo the cop.
Old 05-05-10, 09:08 AM

For me, Castle was the series that could do no wrong. It had light-hearted mysteries at its core, great actors, and lots of comedic bits, to the point that it was funnier than any current sitcom.

Why the producers decided to ruin this well-developed formula by replacing much of the humour with romantic tension and misery is beyond me. I hope they resolve this quickly and get back on track, with neatly resolved endings rather than cliffhangers.

Am I the only one that feels this way, or do you folks prefer the romantic tension business?
Old 05-05-10, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by outlander78
Am I the only one that feels this way, or do you folks prefer the romantic tension business?
Yes. Yes you are. The "romantic tension" of which you speak has always been there to varying degrees. What you're witnessing (and obviously disliking now) is called character development and was definitely planned from the start - the weekly crime has almost always served to develop either Beckett, Castle or both. If you want a formulaic procedural, please watch CSI.
Old 05-05-10, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

For me, Castle was the series that could do no wrong. It had light-hearted mysteries at its core, great actors, and lots of comedic bits, to the point that it was funnier than any current sitcom.

Why the producers decided to ruin this well-developed formula by replacing much of the humour with romantic tension and misery is beyond me. I hope they resolve this quickly and get back on track, with neatly resolved endings rather than cliffhangers.

There has always been a little romantic tension. And from the look of next week's episode, it seems the love triangle should be good for some laughs with Michael Trucco returning again.
Even the serial killer episode, which I think was the darkest one yet, had some good laughs.

I do love the humor and cast interaction. I am interested to see where the show goes when Castle and Beckett finally do get together.....
Old 05-05-10, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Yes. Yes you are. The "romantic tension" of which you speak has always been there to varying degrees. What you're witnessing (and obviously disliking now) is called character development and was definitely planned from the start - the weekly crime has almost always served to develop either Beckett, Castle or both. If you want a formulaic procedural, please watch CSI.
No, a romantic triangle is a plot device, not character development, though it can lead to character development.

The few CSI episodes I have watched seem to be full of personal drama, which I like to avoid. Happy stuff, like the interplay between Castle and Beckett, is great, but I don't watch TV to see stress, including love triangles when the third person is clearly written in just to introduce drama and stress to otherwise happy characters.
Old 05-05-10, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't watch TV to see stress, including love triangles when the third person is clearly written in just to introduce drama and stress to otherwise happy characters.
Beckett - the woman who is still trying to solve her murdered mother's still-open case - is a "happy character"? I still maintain that you are the only one - at least the only one still watching anyway.
Old 05-05-10, 09:04 PM

Nathan Fillion tweeted this: "Oh, and who caught the Dr. Horrible homage on Monday night's Castle?"

I have no clue. Any idea what it was?
Old 05-05-10, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by cornyt
Nathan Fillion tweeted this: "Oh, and who caught the Dr. Horrible homage on Monday night's Castle?"

I have no clue. Any idea what it was?
I think it was his "evil world takeover plan" moment with the liquid nitrogen canister, but I haven't seen Dr. Horrible enough times to be sure.
Old 05-05-10, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by mewmartigan

I do love the humor and cast interaction. I am interested to see where the show goes when Castle and Beckett finally do get together.....
If it follows in the steps of Moonlighting, downhill really fast.

I'm all for the unrequited love stuff, but I like it to stay that way, as whenever a couple finally gets together on a show, the quality takes a nose dive, and I don't want to see that happen.
Old 05-05-10, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
If it follows in the steps of Moonlighting, downhill really fast.
Didn't Moonlighting suffer because the stars took lots of time off to make movies and babies? It seemed rare to have both David & Maddie in an episode after the consummation.

I think the Castle team is clever enough to bring Castle & Beckett together and still keep things interesting. It would be like watching William Powell & Myrna Loy solve crimes every week, with a lot of Carey Grant & Rosalind Russell thrown in for good measure. And I'd be good with that.
Old 05-06-10, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by meglet
I think it was his "evil world takeover plan" moment with the liquid nitrogen canister, but I haven't seen Dr. Horrible enough times to be sure.
That was the first thing that came to mind despite the fact that I've erased almost all traces of Dr. Horrible from my memory.
Old 05-06-10, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Flipper
Didn't Moonlighting suffer because the stars took lots of time off to make movies and babies? It seemed rare to have both David & Maddie in an episode after the consummation.
I think it was more like Cybil Shepard was a bitch to work with and hated Bruce Willis to boot.
Old 05-06-10, 09:59 AM

Married crime solving types have worked in the past - McMillan and Wife, for example. There's hope.
Old 05-06-10, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by meglet
Makes sense! Thanks.
Old 05-09-10, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loved seeing Maggie from Eli Stone again, but I think that she's better looking as a brunette.