Parenthood -- "Perchance to Dream" -- 04/27/10

Old 04-27-10, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 189 Likes on 154 Posts
Parenthood -- "Perchance to Dream" -- 04/27/10

Parenthood

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Kristina returns to work, leaving Adam to take care of the kids for the weekend. Elsewhere, an upcoming school dance prompts Adam to give Drew advice on girls; Sarah runs into an ex while attending a college event with Amber; Julia tries to discourage Sydney from lying; and Crosby and Jasmine go on a date.

Episode 9 of 13.

As long as this show doesn't spend too much time on Max, I love it.
Old 04-27-10, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Parenthood -- "Perchance to Dream" -- 04/27/10

"This is about flowers right?"

"I think it might be about your vag"

Old 04-28-10, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by dgmayor View Post

That was great.

This is also my favorite intro right now. Love that song.
Old 04-28-10, 01:30 PM

that was the best line of that episode.

So, now that Drew was present when Hattie removed her bra for her dad... does anyone think we wont see Drew again for another few episodes as he spends more time in the bathroom??
Old 04-28-10, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I had to pause it after Amber's line - I was literally in tears. Another very good episode - why aren't more people watching this show!?
Old 04-28-10, 06:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great episode.

I'm really enjoying this show. And this episode had some genuinely funny lines. Plus, I'm always down for more Jasmine. Hope they keep her around.
Old 04-28-10, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad Max took a backseat in this episode. Nice to see them focus on Hattie and Drew for a change.

Hattie was definitely a little unreasonable in her double-standard speech. I mean, Adam wasn't driving Drew to the girl's house so he could make out with her or whatever...he was taking him to a school dance. Adam has every right to be upset if his 15 year-old daughter ordered a bra from Victoria's Secret and was planning to wear it over to her boyfriend's house.

Felt bad for Drew. I really like the character, too bad he got shot down. It was nice of Hattie to try and make him feel better. I guess this settles the question of whether or not he's gay though. I like Adam and Drew's father/son relationship. It comes off very nicely.

The scene where everyone started dancing was pretty great.

Crosby continues to be one of my favourites on the show. Dax is doing a great job acting and really pulls off the character nicely. What happened to Crosby's girlfriend though? Did they ever actually break up? I enjoy watching the developing relationship with Crosby and Jabbar (the child playing him does a pretty good job).

I love Kristina. She's just fantastic.

Julia vs. Sydney was pretty funny. I love how much Julia hates Harmony's mom (and with good reason). Sydney giving in at the end was too much, lol. Her dragging the broom along was a great visual.

Last edited by kstublen; 04-28-10 at 11:52 PM.
Old 04-29-10, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen View Post
Hattie was definitely a little unreasonable in her double-standard speech. I mean, Adam wasn't driving Drew to the girl's house so he could make out with her or whatever...he was taking him to a school dance. Adam has every right to be upset if his 15 year-old daughter ordered a bra from Victoria's Secret and was planning to wear it over to her boyfriend's house.
She meant that her dad would drive Drew to hang out with her girlfriend if he had one.
She's probably right.
Old 04-29-10, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

OMG, this was another solid episode.

I can't believe that I didn't recognize him earlier, but Sarah's friend Jim (the barista/author) is Mike O'Malley who also plays Kurt's Dad on Glee.

Peter Krause is so good on this show. I got a few laughs on the scene where he was teaching Drew how to dance. It was hilarious that he was using Old School rap music.

Adam: In High School, they use to call me "Fever"

I thought Adam handled his argument with Haddie really well about going out to see Steve and wearing that bra. It got really funny when she start antagonzing him about her having to do everything he says including..."Murdering someone" and "Burning the house down."

Love Kristina. It was nice to see her get a taste of being a career woman again, but realizing that right now her kids have to come 1st.

Jabbar calling Jasmine and Crosby on their date because he wanted to go home to Poop.

Love this show. Such a good balance of humor and drama.
Old 04-29-10, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Felt bad for Drew. I really like the character, too bad he got shot down. It was nice of Hattie to try and make him feel better. I guess this settles the question of whether or not he's gay though.
It does? Gee, you really don't know anything about tweens and sexual confusion, do you?

The scene where everyone started dancing was pretty great.

Crosby continues to be one of my favourites on the show. Dax is doing a great job acting and really pulls off the character nicely.
Up until this episode, I have loathed the character pretty consistently. However, I think he was written that way on purpose to give the character a place to go/grow.

What happened to Crosby's girlfriend though? Did they ever actually break up?
I'd say she's pretty much gone. I'm more concerned with the Zeek and Camille being broke storyline that was completely ignored this week. Wouldn't Adam still be worried and talkative about this instead of busting out "The Fever"?

Sydney giving in at the end was too much, lol. Her dragging the broom along was a great visual.
That was great. The funny thing is that I got the impression that Sydney just took the blame for it rather than battle her mom because she thought Julia was too good of a lawyer.
Old 04-29-10, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This show continues to grow on me and I really enjoy it... I have to say, my fav "relationship" on the show is between Sydney and Julia.
Old 04-29-10, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
OMG, this was another solid episode.

I can't believe that I didn't recognize him earlier, but Sarah's friend Jim (the barista/author) is Mike O'Malley who also plays Kurt's Dad on Glee.
He was also the gay cop on Earl, Christian Slater's partner on his cancelled NBC Show, and if your in Time Warner Country, he's on like all of their commercials plugging TWC services.
Old 04-29-10, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

He was also the gay cop on Earl, Christian Slater's partner on his cancelled NBC Show, and if your in Time Warner Country, he's on like all of their commercials plugging TWC services.
Not to mention 5 seasons of Yes, Dear, not that any of it was worth watching.
Old 04-29-10, 10:55 AM

I'm super bummed if Marguerite Moreau is gone for good. I really liked her but she's barely had any screentime. I mean, I can see why they'd rather have Crosby with his child's mother, but I think the storyline with Katie could've worked out nicely.
Old 04-29-10, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow, the played Tegan & Sara in this episode. Makes me love the show even more. This has definitely grown on me and has permanently replaced V.

It's kind of odd that two of the siblings are now dating in real life.

I still think the show would get a bigger audience next season if it wasn't on so late.
Old 04-29-10, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dolphinboy View Post
I still think the show would get a bigger audience next season if it wasn't on so late.
But would they have been able to talk about "vag" if the show had aired earlier than 10?
Old 04-30-10, 11:00 AM

After a rough start this show has really grown on me.

I did think the intro to the bra plot was a bit silly though. In this day & age, there's a Victoria's Secret in practically every mall. The daughter could have just bought the bra in the store & avoided the awkward package delivery with her parents. The way they've built up the girl's character to be kind of rebellious, it seems a bit contrived to have her goof up in such a dumb way, but whatever...
Old 04-30-10, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by BGPu View Post
After a rough start this show has really grown on me.

I did think the intro to the bra plot was a bit silly though. In this day & age, there's a Victoria's Secret in practically every mall. The daughter could have just bought the bra in the store & avoided the awkward package delivery with her parents. The way they've built up the girl's character to be kind of rebellious, it seems a bit contrived to have her goof up in such a dumb way, but whatever...
Your abosolutely right. She could have easily saved herself the grief and just went to the Mall.
Old 04-30-10, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Your abosolutely right. She could have easily saved herself the grief and just went to the Mall.
Well who knows how far they live from a Mall, and she is only 15 so she's not driving herself there. Ordering over the internet makes more sense IMHO.
Old 05-01-10, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Still think whatshisface is gay. Or will at least be Bi sometime in the near future. He just doesn't gel right with being straight (and every show nowadays needs a gay).

Can't stand Dax's ex/Jabar's mom. Blah.

And the bra... . Go to the mall and buy it. At least he didn't find her thong stash!
Old 05-03-10, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question regarding the theme song - "Forever Young" by Bob Dylan. Is the version played during the beginning credits different from the normal version by Dylan? I am not a huge Dylan fan but I actually had a compilation album with the song on there and it is very different from the theme. It is slower and less upbeat and doesnt have the same drums. Am I crazy or is the one on my cd an alternate take or something?
Old 05-03-10, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gilmore Girls flashback! When Sarah was touring the school with Amber, did anyone else flash back to when Lorelei toured Harvard/Yale with Rory? Talk about different daughters. And surprisingly, not so different mothers.
Old 05-03-10, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Unclejosh View Post
Question regarding the theme song - "Forever Young" by Bob Dylan. Is the version played during the beginning credits different from the normal version by Dylan? I am not a huge Dylan fan but I actually had a compilation album with the song on there and it is very different from the theme. It is slower and less upbeat and doesnt have the same drums. Am I crazy or is the one on my cd an alternate take or something?
"Forever Young" is from Dylan's "Planet Waves" album on which he recorded two different versions of the song. And yes, the one they use on the show is the more upbeat version.
Old 05-03-10, 03:28 PM

I was surprised that Hattie did not use Max in the fight with Adam. Hattie had "made a deal" with her mother to go to Steve's house - when she used that phrase I thought for sure she would use the fact that Adam has to honor all deals with Max or suffer the meltdown against him.