Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: LOST - "The Last Recruit" - 4/20/10

Better?
Old 04-21-10, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Of the original cast aways, Jin & Sun were always two of my favorite and I have to agree with big train. The reunion was kinda ho-hum. I can't put my finger on 'the why,' it just was. Maybe it was all the people and guns? Maybe a quiet personal reunion would have been better?

Rose connecting with Bernard, way back when, was handled better.
I bet it was the english dialog. It seem weird that the last time Sun saw Jin, he didn't know English at all and then suddenly they finally meet 3-4 years later, they are talking in English??? Would have worked better in korean but then it wouldn't solve Sun's gain of the English language again.
Old 04-21-10, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by jiggawhat
Considering it's Lost, that would be too obvious.
Might be nice if for once the most obvious thing was true.
Old 04-21-10, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JZ1276
I agree, but then again, all of the episodes are better when watching during a marathon...
I gotta disagree with this.

Before S6 started, I did an entire series rewatch with my gf, who had never seen the show, over the course of 15 days. One thing that really stood out to me, was that the S3 finale didn't have nearly the same effect on her as it did on me while watching it "live". And I think that mainly had to do with the fact that all the suspense caused by being forced to wait is removed when you can just watch the next episode immediately after.
Old 04-21-10, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Joeboo835
Whether or not you loved the episode, how fricken good did Kate look at the police station?
Unfortunately for me, her character's become so horrible that whenever she's on screen now, I just say "ugh".
Old 04-21-10, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think many people will be happy with how the show ends, no matter the outcome.

How could they end this to make you happy?
Old 04-21-10, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
How could they end this to make you happy?
Honestly, all I want is for it to mostly make sense. I don't care if it's a dream, heaven and hell, time travel, aliens, or it's all a big computer sim, I just want to be able to say that the story went somewhere and most of what was presented fit with the answers provided. The actual answer means much less to me than whether or not it makes sense for the context and story that they have presented.
Old 04-21-10, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Palaver
First one of these I've made. Be gentle.

"I'm Kate's horse!"
Old 04-21-10, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Does anyone still look for Jackfaces?

I ARE SERIOUS JACK
Old 04-21-10, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Seems to me that there's not just a good vs evil thing, there's good (maybe Jack becoming the new protector of the island), sort of a moral gray area (Widmore), and evil (MiB). Maybe Widmore is the scale in the analogy

Yes as someone else mentioned that was Desmond's boat (that previously belonged to Libby's ex husband hence the name Elizabeth).

Edit-Just saw that Libby's deceased husband was named David, which is also Jack's alt timeline son's name. Probably just a coincidence though and not intended to mean anything.

Last edited by Cardiff Giant11; 04-21-10 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-21-10, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MoviePage
There are definitely some inconsistencies with what we're being told about Smokey/MiB now and what we saw in earlier seasons. We either have some poor planning from the writers of the show, or we haven't been told everything yet.

MiB says he was Christian on the island. There's evidence to support that, and there's evidence to refute it. For example, Christian appeared to Jack in the hospital off the island. It could be argued that this was just a figment of Jack's imagination, since he was under the influence of drugs and alcohol at the time.

But someone who has faith that the writers haven't been lost all this time could also point out that Jack was alerted to Christian's presence by the seemingly random triggering of a smoke alarm.
See...it's stuff like this that made me think all along there were three on the island...Jacob, MIB, and an unnamed entity. Unless Jacob could turn to smoke and also appear as dead people off the island.

And also don't forget the appearances of random people who were never on the island, such as Hurley's psych ward friend. They weren't on the island, they didn't die, they didn't come to the island after they died. So MIB can apparently only appear as people who came to the island after they were dead...so that's another sign he wasn't the only one appearing as random people throughout the series.

Unless the writers forgot to fill a gaping plot hole.
Old 04-21-10, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
Come on .. she's "wild" the dirt on her face and the leaves in her hair tells us so.
Crazy people don't clean and brush their hair! Geez, everybody knows that.
Old 04-21-10, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BravesMG
Honestly, all I want is for it to mostly make sense. I don't care if it's a dream, heaven and hell, time travel, aliens, or it's all a big computer sim, I just want to be able to say that the story went somewhere and most of what was presented fit with the answers provided. The actual answer means much less to me than whether or not it makes sense for the context and story that they have presented.
Exactly. The worst endings in movies I can think of leave some major stuff unanswered. The worst thing they could do with the ending is just leave it up in the air what it was all about.

I am already prepared that they aren't going to explain every minute detail. Just as long as I can extrapolate a reason for this show after it's all over I will be happy.
Old 04-21-10, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
The island must realy be magic - because I have never seen a SAIL boat move so fast with all the sails rolled up

This crap "I want to get out of here" <-> "I don't want to leave"... "lets go to the beach" <-> "let's go into the jungle" is geting OLD!!
It was clearly motoring. In one stern shot, you could see the exhaust and engine cooling water.
Old 04-21-10, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by BravesMG

that's pretty much how i feel about it but i'm pretty sure we will both be disappointed.
Old 04-21-10, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Merkin Muffley
Jack's son creeps me out. He looks like a Pixar version of a human being.
I call him young Cameron.
Old 04-21-10, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by Aphex Twin
Can someone explain the importance of the kids on the island and Walt, etc.? Why were they kidnapped and stuff?
I don't think the writers remember (or care) about that plot. I'm sure things were moving in a different direction at that point. Remember, MIB wasn't on the show until the end of last season.

This was another ho-hum episode. I love how Locke keeps taking people into the jungle to talk. And then they are out there in the middle of the night and by the time they get back it's broad daylight. How far away does he need to walk for some privacy?

And congrats to the writers for flat-out answering a question (was MiB Christian?)...too bad there are a million reasons that doesn't make sense. I just don't buy when Christian first appeared to Jack, he wasn't the MiB/Smoke Monster. No way they had that figured out at that point. They thought it was creepy cool and are trying to retcon the story when the end is in sight.

It's obvious they are doing it, but there are enough moments I enjoy (pretty much anything with Desmond at this point and that's it) that I'm willing to put up with "beach to jungle to beach to jungle then "the island wants you to go/stay! LOST" for 4 more hours.

Last edited by Draven; 04-21-10 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-21-10, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by MoviePage
There are definitely some inconsistencies with what we're being told about Smokey/MiB now and what we saw in earlier seasons. We either have some poor planning from the writers of the show, or we haven't been told everything yet.

MiB says he was Christian on the island. There's evidence to support that, and there's evidence to refute it. For example, Christian appeared to Jack in the hospital off the island. It could be argued that this was just a figment of Jack's imagination, since he was under the influence of drugs and alcohol at the time.

But someone who has faith that the writers haven't been lost all this time could also point out that Jack was alerted to Christian's presence by the seemingly random triggering of a smoke alarm.

The smoke alarm was running out of batteries, not going off. That version of Christian was a hallucination.
Old 04-21-10, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by ATX
i guess you should read the sentence you quoted

"seems" is a key word

42 min, 44 min whatever the final count.. the episode was easily the worst this season, imo
I disagree. This was one of my FAVORITE episodes this season.
Old 04-21-10, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by zuffy
I bet it was the english dialog. It seem weird that the last time Sun saw Jin, he didn't know English at all and then suddenly they finally meet 3-4 years later, they are talking in English??? Would have worked better in korean but then it wouldn't solve Sun's gain of the English language again.
Agreed. They should both have been speaking Korean when they came together. The reveal that Sun's English was back could have waited a few moments til she could speak to someone else.

The magic of the reunion was also spoiled a bit by the fact that they were running towards each other from opposite sides of the pylons. I was seriously distracted holding my breath wondering if they would both get zapped when they met in the middle!
Old 04-22-10, 12:46 AM

The Sun "can't speak English" subplot is the worst in Lost history... and possibly TV history.

So awful.

And Lapdis line "Someone got their voice back" is one of the worst lines in history.
Old 04-22-10, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Phod
And Lapdis line "Someone got their voice back" is one of the worst lines in history.
I was half expecting the cheesy / obligatory group laugh that would typically end a sitcom.

This episode wasn't horrible to me but, like most this season, it was lacking. Sure, we're getting answers (I suppose) but they all seem so lame in comparison with the suspense that the questions came to us in S1-S4. I'm 99% certain the finale will be a major letdown of nonsensical action and a whole shitload of WTF's at the end.
Old 04-22-10, 08:21 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I think the reason the Sun/Jin reunion rang hollow is that we've been seeing them together all season in the flash-sideways, including earlier in this episode!

There's no reason that they couldn't have done a flash-sideways storyline that kept them apart until AFTER their reunion on the island. For example, Jin is hired by Sun's father to keep an eye on her from a distance while she's in the US.
Old 04-22-10, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Phod
The Sun "can't speak English" subplot is the worst in Lost history... and possibly TV history.

So awful.
24 Day 2 has something to say about that (the password is...."cougar").

Well, yeah.
Old 04-22-10, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I think the reason the Sun/Jin reunion rang hollow is that we've been seeing them together all season in the flash-sideways, including earlier in this episode!

There's no reason that they couldn't have done a flash-sideways storyline that kept them apart until AFTER their reunion on the island. For example, Jin is hired by Sun's father to keep an eye on her from a distance while she's in the US.
Well there you go. That's probably the exact reason why the reunion felt 'off.' Good call.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.