Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

USA renews Burn Notice for 2 seasons (Season 5 and 6)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

USA renews Burn Notice for 2 seasons (Season 5 and 6)

Old 04-18-10, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 273 Likes on 176 Posts
Re: USA renews Burn Notice for 2 seasons (Season 5 and 6)

I agree with the sentiment that stretching out the main story arc for 2 more seasons could ruin the show. Whoever said they should just finish this current arc and come up with something new is right.
Old 04-18-10, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
here's what Aziz Ansari's cousin Harris thinks about Burn Notice

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hd90oqIvtXs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hd90oqIvtXs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Now I really regret missing Aziz's special. That was great.

I am surprised that people are getting a bit weary of Burn Notice's arc. I say that because I have been feeling the same way even though I still greatly enjoy the show. In the show threads, I don't really recall seeing this sentiment before. With that said, I think they can find a way to do other interesting things with it.

Last edited by Jimmy James; 04-18-10 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-18-10, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
In the show threads, I don't really recall seeing this sentiment before. With that said, I think they can find a way to do other interesting things with it.
Agreed. I opened it up to all this dissatisfaction that shocked me because I don't recall seeing/reading about it before.

This is great news to me (the renewal for 5 & 6, not the thread sentiment). While I never doubted it would continue, this makes it nice to know that we can start guessing/hoping where they'll take the show over the next three years.

Count me in the small crowd that may not love the main story arc, but as long as they keep each episode strong with that standalone story of who they're helping, I'll put up with it. (I fear that if they wrap it up, the next place they take it could be a game changer and really send the show down the tubes. Boy, sounds alot like another show. lol)
Old 04-18-10, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 601 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy James

I am surprised that people are getting a bit weary of Burn Notice's arc. I say that because I have been feeling the same way even though I still greatly enjoy the show. In the show threads, I don't really recall seeing this sentiment before. With that said, I think they can find a way to do other interesting things with it.
I've frequently commented on how much I prefer the individual stories than the serial arc.
Old 04-18-10, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WallyOPD
I honestly don't care if the main arc continues to drag on as long as they continue having the entertaining one-off stories in every episode as well.

This is the most fun show on TV. The big story arc is just a backdrop. I'll be happy if they keep delivering this:

NSFW:
Old 04-18-10, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I've frequently commented on how much I prefer the individual stories than the serial arc.
I've seen some isolated comments before, but I'm talking about this outpouring of worries over 3 more seasons. Of course, it's probably because the individual episode threads are about individual episodes and this is about there being 3 more seasons of material.
Old 04-18-10, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

Since FOX produces Burn Notice, the general consensus from other websites I've read seems that USA probably got a discount if they commited to producing multiple seasons.
Old 04-18-10, 05:31 PM

The show has been getting stale for awhile. I dont think its the arc, just the formula. And I dont get why the Japanese took Michael at the end.

I liked how a season or 2 ago they teased going to Cuba with that guy who was a burned spy. A whole season in Cuba would have been the shit
Old 05-11-10, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

How do you make Burn Notice even better?

Burn Notice has tapped acting vet Burt Reynolds to guest-star as a legendary operative, now retired and cast out of the CIA, who serves as somewhat of a cautionary tale for Michael (Jeffrey Donovan).

“Things have not gone well for him since he left the spy service,” explains series creator Matt Nix of Reynolds’ character, Paul Anderson. “He’s now working as a bartender under an assumed name, and he gets into trouble with some very nasty Russian guys.

“He’s not precisely like Michael,” adds Nix. “He’s Michael should Michael succumb to some of the demons that haunt ex-spies.”

Reynolds’ episode will air during the show’s fourth season, premiering on June 3.
Old 05-11-10, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool.
Old 05-11-10, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts

sweet.
Old 05-11-10, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Sounds like last week's episode of Chuck.
Old 05-21-10, 05:47 PM

I think it's great that they are adding Burt Reynolds to the cast. I'm looking forward to seeing what the writers have planned for him and his interactions with the rest of the spies. Also, saw they're adding Coby Bell to the cast for the season as well. All this new blood in Miami should be a lot of fun!

Last edited by harrydoyle; 05-21-10 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-21-10, 06:01 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I would tune back in if they made Burt Reynolds' character Malone from the movie of the same title.
Old 05-30-10, 03:05 PM

Emm, I don't think that will be the case. After reading this Entertainment Weekly article, it sounds like he is going to be playing an ex-CIA agent that's been banished from the agency. Still, will be cool to see him on as a guest star.
Old 05-30-10, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been watching the second season on Blu-ray... I liked the first season quite a bit but I'm getting bored with the show. It seems to be the same thing every week. Should I continue?
Old 05-30-10, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

The show is very formulaic.

5 minutes of the burn notice 'arc'
35 minutes of a stand-alone job that Weston doesn't want to do

It all comes down to whether or not you enjoy the "35 minute" side job and love the characters. If you buy into those keep watching, otherwise it's pretty much the same for every episode.

I love the show because of the characters (Characters Welcome!). However, like How I Met Your Mother, I think the show is now burdened with sticking to a plot because of the title of the show. It will be horribly disappointing if by season 4-5 he still hasn't solved this burn notice and moved on.
Old 05-30-10, 08:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by harrydoyle
Emm, I don't think that will be the case. After reading this Entertainment Weekly article, it sounds like he is going to be playing an ex-CIA agent that's been banished from the agency. Still, will be cool to see him on as a guest star.
That was the basic premise for the character of Malone; burned his identity every-so-often to stay hidden.

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I've been watching the second season on Blu-ray... I liked the first season quite a bit but I'm getting bored with the show. It seems to be the same thing every week. Should I continue?
That's what happened to me; I enjoyed the first season a great deal but the second was boring. If they changed it up to him being hired by private contractors or re-hired by the CIA as a freelancer that would be interesting.
Old 06-02-10, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

For those with far too much time on their hands... USA is doing a Burn Notice marathon Thursday ahead of the premier.
Old 06-02-10, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gmanca
That was the basic premise for the character of Malone; burned his identity every-so-often to stay hidden.

That's what happened to me; I enjoyed the first season a great deal but the second was boring. If they changed it up to him being hired by private contractors or re-hired by the CIA as a freelancer that would be interesting.
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
The show is very formulaic.

35 minutes of a stand-alone job that Weston doesn't want to do

It all comes down to whether or not you enjoy the "35 minute" side job and love the characters. If you buy into those keep watching, otherwise it's pretty much the same for every episode.

I love the show because of the characters (Characters Welcome!). However, like How I Met Your Mother, I think the show is now burdened with sticking to a plot because of the title of the show. It will be horribly disappointing if by season 4-5 he still hasn't solved this burn notice and moved on.
I'm thinking it's just not a great show to watch on DVD. A formula can be fun once a week but a slog to get through when you're watching 3-4 episodes at a time. Unfortunately I think I'm going to bail.
Old 06-03-10, 04:14 PM

Well I read a review on IGN about tonight's episode and it sounds like they're trying to switch it up a bit. Apparently in the premiere episode. Michael goes out of Miami and out of the US, to some foreign jungle. Either way I'm excited to tune in tonight, to find about more about that trip.
Old 06-03-10, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by harrydoyle
Well I read a review on IGN about tonight's episode and it sounds like they're trying to switch it up a bit. Apparently in the premiere episode. Michael goes out of Miami and out of the US, to some foreign jungle. Either way I'm excited to tune in tonight, to find about more about that trip.
1) There's a thread for tonight's episode just a few threads down.

2) Please use spoiler tags for plot details that haven't aired yet.