DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   King crab season (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/572329-king-crab-season.html)

bd...? 04-13-10 10:27 PM

King crab season

I know it seems to be the same every season but I am always drawn to it. Some of the Best of season 5 was pretty emotional. I'm sure we wont see a tribute to Cornelia Marie's Phill Harris till the end of the season

Cory02 04-13-10 10:57 PM

Re: King crab season

Deadliest Catch is one of my favorite reality shows. That being said, I'm not looking forward to this season as much as I have the past seasons because I know there are going to be a lot of heartbreaking moments coming up this season (we already got a little taste of that in the 1st episode with the preview they showed for the rest of the season).

wmansir 04-14-10 09:33 PM

I got the impression that the swapping of the Jakes was more for the show's benefit than either of the captains. It's too bad if that ends up costing Jake Harris the last crab season he could have spent with his dad.

PS: Can we get a thread title change and make this the Deadliest Catch Season 6 Discussion thread?

wmansir 05-19-10 09:03 PM

This made headlines months ago, but I just heard about it.

'Deadliest Catch' star pleads guilty to robbing Oregon banks

EUGENE, Ore. -- A star of the reality TV show "Deadliest Catch" pleaded guilty to robbing three banks in Oregon and will serve over 9 years in prison.

Joshua Tel Warner, 23, pleaded guilty to three counts of robbery in the second degree. Each sentence carries a mandatory minimum sentence of 70, but he was ordered to serve some sentences at the same time. As a result, he wil spend a total of 114 months in prison.

Warner came to national attention during the 2008-2009 Alaskan King Crab season when he was featured on the Discovery Channel's "Deadliest Catch."

He was a "green-horn" deckhand aboard the "Wizard" where his actions and confrontations with deckhands and the captain made him well known to the show's followers.

Prior to fishing in Alaska, Warner was a Dungeness Crab fisherman on the Oregon coast and a wildland firefighter.

On. Dec. 31, 2009, Eugene police identified Warner as a suspect in the Oct. 19, 2007, robbery of Washington Mutual Bank at 2840 Willamette Street; the April 3, 2009, robbery of Pacific Continental bank at 1450 High Street; and the Aug. 28, 2009, robbery of the same Pacific Continental Bank.

Warner was apprehended later the same day in Illinois.
You might remember this guy as a green horn on the Wizard. He put a picture of his girlfriend up by the bait bin and got pissed when the rest of the crew taunted him about it and rubbed bait on the picture. He took his complaints to the captain and Keith chewed the guy a new one. Calling him a "star" of the show is a stretch since he was only on the boat for one trip.

PS. Regarding the show, I'm still dreading the Phil episodes I know are coming up soon. I don't watch the previews, so I watch each opening with a little anxiety.

Me007gold 05-22-10 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by wmansir (Post 10168104)
This made headlines months ago, but I just heard about it.

I don't watch the previews,

Speaking of that, the preview from two weeks ago REALLY pissed me off. It showed a big wave coming towards the time bandits, the capts yelling, then the alarms going off and it cut to black. At the start of the episode nothing had happend.

Bill Needle 05-22-10 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Me007gold (Post 10172190)
Speaking of that, the preview from two weeks ago REALLY pissed me off. It showed a big wave coming towards the time bandits, the capts yelling, then the alarms going off and it cut to black. At the start of the episode nothing had happend.

Their generator tripped off in the next episode, though it was a quick fix and turned out to be not too big a deal.

grundle 06-15-10 09:21 PM

Captain Phil Harris's son Jake is addicted to Phil's prescription medicine.

Dave99 06-15-10 11:53 PM

That's got to be tough on him, gets caught stealing his dads painkillers (oxy maybe?), tells him he is an addict, then a few days later he has a stroke & eventually dies.

Cory02 06-16-10 01:04 AM

Looks like the tough/sad part of the season starts next week. I am not looking forward to that at all.

Cellar Door 06-16-10 03:09 AM

Yeah, and in addition to the sad things happening with Phil and his son, it looks like there may be bad news for the other Jake (on the Northwestern) regarding his father being missing. That episode last season when he got the news about his sister dying really got to me.

AJW 06-16-10 08:37 PM

http://www.toofab.com/2010/06/16/phi...annel-tribute/

"Deadliest Catch" star Phil Harris will receive a
special tribute by the Discovery Channel.

Starting with next week's episode, the late fisherman's death will get a spotlight on the show -- culminating in a tribute episode called "After the Catch" on July 13.

Discovery Channel President Clark Bunting said in a statement to EW, “Captain Phil was a father, fisherman, funny man and, most importantly for fans worldwide, a friend. We celebrate his life and all those he has touched through Deadliest Catch."

Capt. Harris died on February 9 after suffering a stroke while offloading his fishing vessel in Alaska

saoirse 06-19-10 03:12 PM

That last episode was a hard one. A great one, but a hard one to watch.

dalbowski 06-23-10 12:06 AM

That was rough. :(

Cory02 06-23-10 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by dalbowski (Post 10227643)
That was rough. :(

My dad is going through some health issues at the moment so these episodes are hard for me to sit through.

I can only imagine how bad things would have been if Phil would have had the stroke while they were at sea. At least from what they showed on the show, Phil and Jake had reconciled a bit and were talking before he had the stroke.

rider555 06-23-10 01:20 AM

After this season,i think I am done with Deadliest Catch;
Phil's dead.
The Hillstrand brothers are retiring(unless I misunderstood..?).
I am tired of hearing about bad things happening to Jake(both of them).
It sounds like Edgar Hansen has been hinting that he wants to get out of crab fishing.

Joeboo835 06-25-10 08:04 AM

I think I agree Rider555. Besides those points, how do you top this season? It'll never be this good.

Even the conversation between Keith (who i can't stand) and his daughter had me.

The Hillstrand brothers are my favorite. I think even if they did decide to retire, they will be back for at least a couple seasons to get Mike up and running.

After watching After the Catch, you can kinda tell Edgar is VERY close to leaving. He seems like a guy that isn't as old school as these other captains and he wants to be there for his family. I'd be pretty surprised to see him back. And its amazing how highly they regard Jake (northwestern). They kept going on and on about him and how great he's doing, even so far as for Sig to say if he had a son, he'd want him to be just like Jake. That's pretty high praise.

bd...? 06-25-10 11:40 PM

Am I behind? Just watched the episode with phill having the hear attack (rough episode) and now my dvr says after the catch next week

Cellar Door 06-26-10 01:30 AM

You are not behind. They are showing new episodes of After The Catch after each of these last five Deadliest Catch episodes (two have aired, three to go). My guide for next week indicates both shows airing Tuesday night, starting at 8:00 (Central time).

Joeboo835 06-30-10 07:28 AM

These episodes are getting harder and harder to watch.

ytrez 06-30-10 07:34 AM

The conversation between Josh & Freddie in the Wheelhouse last night was very touching and got me a little choked up. Also tough but nice to see was the reactions of the other captains. This is a great season.

paradicelost 06-30-10 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by ytrez (Post 10240073)
The conversation between Josh & Freddie in the Wheelhouse last night was very touching and got me a little choked up. Also tough but nice to see was the reactions of the other captains. This is a great season.

I cried my eyes out at that conversation and the episode from then on. I guess the reality of the situation.

bd...? 06-30-10 07:27 PM

Yea that was tough to watch with Josh and Freddie. I knew Sid's response would response as be seems close to Phil

sq240 06-30-10 07:53 PM

Does anyone know the artist/song that was playing at the very end of this week's episode?

Mankal 07-01-10 05:15 PM

Very tough to watch indeed, especially since we all know the final outcome. On the Deadliest Catch forums, I read that Phil had a daughter, but he has never talked about it....wonder what she looks like?

david12 07-02-10 09:46 AM

I was kinda struck by Jake Anderson's comments at the end of the episode. When he was expressing knowing how the boys feel, and feeling their pain with them because he was going through the what ifs with his own father, that is what got me the most.

I think with Phil's death we are forgetting how difficult this season (or the past two seasons) is for Anderson. The entire season seems to be tough for everyone, but Jake's sister's death last year and now the stuff with his father (plus trying to please a boss and crew that seems unpleaseable) seems to be piling on Anderson. I remember seeing his close up face shot during the promos for this season and being struck by how much age crabbing has put on him. Even though he is clearly going to be the Northwesterns go to guy in the future, I feel bad for the kid. Crabber for life I guess.

The Freddie/Josh hit pretty close to home too. I literally had the same conversation about my grandmother a few years back...so that was hard.

Anyone really enjoying the after the catch shows this year? I've always enjoyed them, but this one (dispite Phil's death) is full of laughter and life. Maybe it the New Orleans setting, but they all seem to be having a great time.