TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

"V" -- "John May" -- 04/13/10

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-10, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: "V" -- "John May" -- 04/13/10

Originally Posted by Ayre
This show reminds me of the first season of Sarah Connors. Great idea with weak execution. Certain characters and actors have grown on me, but the story is a snooze. More lizards plz. Ohhh and more Vandervoort.

Whereas Flash Forward reminds me of Jericho. I just want everyone to die.

Both series have a dim future.

I actually thought Sarah Connors was better, other than that one stretch of really slow, boring episodes in the last season that probably derailed the show from even the smallest chance of keeping enough of an audience to get another season.

This show shouldn't bore me, but it does. Not ready to give up on it, like I have with Flash Forward, but I'm at a loss to think what they can do to make it better.
Old 04-14-10, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
but I'm at a loss to think what they can do to make it better.
More lizards, resistance, and just general fighting. While at first it was moving a break neck speed compared to the original, now its too slow. I would love to see a laser blast, or something.
Old 04-14-10, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
I actually thought Sarah Connors was better, other than that one stretch of really slow, boring episodes in the last season that probably derailed the show from even the smallest chance of keeping enough of an audience to get another season.

This show shouldn't bore me, but it does. Not ready to give up on it, like I have with Flash Forward, but I'm at a loss to think what they can do to make it better.
Yeah, that terrible "Sarah is schizo" arc of season 2 killed it which is where V is starting to lose it as well, the contrite melodrama of a character who wasn't number one to begin with.
Old 04-15-10, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by gmanca
Yeah, that terrible "Sarah is schizo" arc of season 2 killed it which is where V is starting to lose it as well, the contrite melodrama of a character who wasn't number one to begin with.
That and the alien thing all before the Winter break I think made that show almost unwatchable. It came back strong after that but those 2 story lines almost killed my interest in the show.
Old 04-15-10, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
From the comments here, it seems the series best bet at survival is to just have Laura Vandermoot (sp?) end each ep. with a striptease.
Agreed.
Old 04-15-10, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

i find it mildly amusing that you could admit to killing John May, the leader of the resistance you are essentially fighting for, and all that you get is scolded for not telling the truth.
Old 04-15-10, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I REALLY want to like this show, and there are aspects of it I like...but as I watch I can't help but think that the way they're executing this show will give it a short life.

I still think the technology of the V's is "too" fancy, the special effects are overused, the drama often overplayed. What made the very original miniseries work isn't in play here.

Everytime I hear the "John Mays Lives" line, I chuckle, realizing how much simpler the original miniseries made it. There, V stood for Victory, not visitors--so when someone wanted to put a mark up for the resistance, they just spray-painted a V...rather than write a sentence...

And what's up with these resistance fighters just leaving visitor bodies all over the place? Doesn't SOMEONE have the sense to dissect and post them all over the Internet? YouTube? Hang them on an overpass?
Old 04-15-10, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk God

My biggest problem with their technology is that people can seemingly come and go as they please into torture chambers. They don't have security nor cameras on the ships?
Old 04-15-10, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
My biggest problem with their technology is that people can seemingly come and go as they please into torture chambers. They don't have security nor cameras on the ships?
They get checked in by the security guy with the hand-held scanner when they arrive on the ship -- why would the ship not be secure after that?

It's like a prior episode when the V's credentials did not clear the first time and the security V says in a surprised tone that it did not clear. "Try it again," the V says and it works fine. Reminds me of the scene in "The Sum of All Fears" when Ben Affleck's stolen proximity badge does not allow him access through the turnstile so he rubs his thumb on it and suddenly it works. Nice try Ben -- it's a contactless RFID.
Old 04-15-10, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by wishbone
They get checked in by the security guy with the hand-held scanner when they arrive on the ship -- why would the ship not be secure after that?
Yeah, there was that one, but I was thinking this episode about the 5th columnist who waltzed in and injected the guy. Conveniently they also still had a syringe full of a lethal substance right next to him.
Old 04-15-10, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Exactly. This is the problem with writing a show where the Visitors seem to have SO MUCH technology. There hasn't been an episode yet where some new technological wonder isn't shown. So this leaves the viewer thinking, "Geez, they can do anything," and when someone gets away with MURDER in a ship that is already on high-alert for 5th column, you can't help but roll your eyes.

There are no cameras in that room? No audio devices? No way to track who went in or out? Geez, other rooms have vanity mirrors that appear out of thin air with the swipe of your hand...rocks that talk to one another...knife-shooting seeker droids...cameras in vest fabric...Star Trek injury scanners...

If they had made the Visitors a little more "down to earth" such as they were in the original series, or even Battlestar Galactica--where the major weapons were guns and ships--you begin to believe there are limits to their plotlines, thus giving the resistance a chance.

Last edited by JuryDuty; 04-15-10 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-15-10, 03:05 PM

I thought they were going to go that route as they implied limited vision by the V's vis-a-vis the infrared vision of their tracking hunters. There was a vision system of some sort in the torture chamber as Anna was watching in on the proceedings; it's also possible that the doctor can shut off the camera system hence he doesn't have to worry about that.

Sometimes, I just accept the obvious because to explain it is a bit redundant. Do we really need exposition to tell us that the doctor secretly killed the guy?
Old 04-16-10, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX
More Laura Vandervoot please
http://osck.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/itb2-0002.jpg
Old 04-16-10, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

^ link doesnt work
Old 04-16-10, 08:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Drav3n
^ link doesnt work
yes, it does.
Old 04-16-10, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dan30oly
yes, it does.
504 gateway timeout
Old 04-16-10, 09:57 PM

Let see if this will work:

Spoilerized for size:

Spoiler:
Old 04-16-10, 10:39 PM

And what's up with these resistance fighters just leaving visitor bodies all over the place? Doesn't SOMEONE have the sense to dissect and post them all over the Internet? YouTube? Hang them on an overpass?
That is a major plothole with only one real answer-

Vs are like vampires. Once the outter protecteive skin is removed, they burn up in the sunlight. Hence why no one has ever seen a V without it's fake skin.
Old 04-17-10, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Yeah, I just totally assumed that after Elizabeth Mitchell (can't recall her character's name) killed a lizard in her home, she would show her son (and everyone else) what they are underneath - seems easy enough - just wait for a moment when his stupid camera-jacket is in the closet. But no, they have to act retarded to move their retarded plot along.
Old 04-17-10, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by gmanca
Let see if this will work:

Spoilerized for size:

Spoiler:
When it comes to Laura Vandervoot images, spoiler tags are frowned upon! lol
Old 04-17-10, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slop101
Yeah, I just totally assumed that after Elizabeth Mitchell (can't recall her character's name) killed a lizard in her home, she would show her son (and everyone else) what they are underneath - seems easy enough - just wait for a moment when his stupid camera-jacket is in the closet. But no, they have to act retarded to move their retarded plot along.
I can believe how much they are undercutting their own premise. The enormity of the Visitor's arrival could not be over sold and it is barely reflected in the show at all. They are too focused on the 4 or 5 resistance members, Anna and the reporter.
Old 04-18-10, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree with everyone here about "V".

Specially the part about the lack of security cameras.
Old 04-19-10, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What I'd like to know is whose brilliant idea is it for tv shows and movies to have the annoying kid in them? I mean who are they trying to target with that bit of casting? Just think for a second about how many different tv shows or movies over the years you've complained about the stupid annoying kid. About every third post somebody complains about the kid. Are "we" the minority and the rest of the population actually likes that stuff?