Lost -- "Everybody Loves Hugo" -- 04/13/10

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lost -- "Everybody Loves Hugo" -- 04/13/10

Old 04-14-10, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 127 Posts
Re: Lost -- "Everybody Loves Hugo" -- 04/13/10

Originally Posted by ATX
Desmond is just aware of the 2 realitys, he still don't know shit, just last week Eloise was blowing his mind
For all we know, Desmond had conversations with someone that filled him in on everything. Or maybe he had some moment of enlightenment when bouncing around time and space. Desmond clearly thinks he knows what's going on now. We just don't know why.
Old 04-14-10, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by andy434343
Desmond is acting like Jacob in the Alternate timeline, he is visiting everyone and influencing them in one way or another, thus creating a altered path for their lives.
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
In the ALT timeline, Desmond appears to have taken the role of Jacob, "waking people up" to what they are supposed to do.

no one listens to me......(stomps on floor).
Old 04-14-10, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Re: Hmmm....

Originally Posted by WhoGirl
Desmond's license plate changed.

In the first scene of Desmond in the Silver BMW, the license plate was 4PCI264 .
In the scene at the end when he ran over Locke, the plate was 2FAN321
Interesting. That would seem a huge continuity error, especially given how ravenous we are to dissect every detail for hidden meaning.

Also, I did NOT like "the whispers" explanation.
Old 04-14-10, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

So again, as conjectured last week, with Hurley's story it comes down to love. If he is now aware of the OT will he choose that over being with Libby? I did like it how Libby had voluntarily checked herself into the mental institute.

Originally Posted by whotony
Move away from the well.
All I could think during that scene was Country Death Song by Violent Femmes.
Spoiler:

Originally Posted by Moopher
These episodes have been so spot on this season, definetly more interesting that the beginning of the season. The connections its starting to make makes you appreciate the smallest pieces of past episodes.
Even though the season has greatly improved the past couple weeks, I doubt anything they do from here to the end will make up for or justify the temple/Dogan, nonsense.

Originally Posted by Shinobi
I'd give her cleavage a solid 8.

Originally Posted by Goldblum
2. Killing Illana was a waste. I wanted to learn more about her character and her "group". Now her entire group is dead, and I doubt they will expand upon it.
Good riddance. She was a useless addition and I don't give two shits about her team. It was a waste of time when they could have been focusing on 'our' Losties. Introducing a bunch of new characters in the final 18 or so episodes was a bad idea from the get go.

Originally Posted by s}{ammer
Sure Jacob influenced the losties by touching them, but he never took matters into his own hands.
Actually, the Desmond/Locke scene was an interesting parallel. I do believe Jacob 'took things into his own hands' by saving Locke after he fell out a five story window. He should have died from that fall. In the sideways timeline, Desmond appears to try and kill him. I'm not sure if I buy the "waking him up" angle. Simple interactions worked for everyone else and he was going pretty damn fast with his car to just give him a jolt. Maybe you can only be dead in one timeline at a time. By possibly killing Locke in the sideways world, he will wake up back on the island. He was buried though, so
Old 04-14-10, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was that Jacob's ashes that Hurley took in the satchel?
Old 04-14-10, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly
That's what I thought.
Old 04-14-10, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly
Yep. It had been scooped up by Ilana in the pit where Jacob's "body" burned...
Old 04-14-10, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Hmmm....

Originally Posted by WhoGirl
Desmond's license plate changed.

In the first scene of Desmond in the Silver BMW, the license plate was 4PCI264 .
In the scene at the end when he ran over Locke, the plate was 2FAN321 .

I double-checked just in case, and it was the same Silver BMW both times (even though they removed the BMW hood ornament, it was definitely a BMW.).

A simple continuity error? Or an intentionally placed hint at an alternate sideways universe? Let the conspiracy theories begin...
It's another hint. The first one was the missing ring. In the plane Desmond had a ring, and in his episode he wasn't using a ring anymore.

My guess is we will be seeing Des a lot more in the rest of the season, until the island is done with him, of course.
Old 04-14-10, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 371 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
I'm going with my afterlife theory now.
I'm right there with you. I view the island as purgatory again -- especially since the "voices" are explained as spirits who "can't move on because of what they've done".

Everytime an off island character has a near death or emotional experience they seem to remember a previous life. I wonder if it's all just reincarnation and this is one way to explain it?

Last edited by Rob V; 04-14-10 at 08:26 AM.
Old 04-14-10, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 371 Likes on 300 Posts

The explanation of the island and why the Losties are on it cannot be about "finding love". What about Bernard and Rose? They have each other on the island, no one died but Rose still has cancer off island. Anna Lucia didn't have any romantic connections that were alluded to... same with Ecko.

I think "love" could be the spark or emotional experience that generates the memories but I hope the last episode doesn't have everyone hooking up and singing Kum-bay-ya like the last scene in 40 Year Old Virgin.
Old 04-14-10, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldblum
Great episode as always. However, I had some questions/issues:

1. Why is sideways Dr. Chang the same age he was in the 1970s?

2. Killing Illana was a waste. I wanted to learn more about her character and her "group". Now her entire group is dead, and I doubt they will expand upon it.

3. The abrupt answer to the whispers did kind of feel like a cop out.

Yeah I wanted to know more about Illana. I also don't like how Ben has been defanged and Richard is so pathetic. In a desperate attempt to be the leader, Richard just pretended that he was still being guided by Jacob. Blowing up the plane is the only plan he could come up with.
Old 04-14-10, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Living people from the real world can travel to the island and then leave it again (and then re-visit again in some cases), including a group of six of the Losties. People can die on the island and their bodies can then be buried and/or decompose. Therefore, it is not the afterlife or purgatory.

There's also the fact that the creators of the show stated way back in season 1 that the island is not the afterlife and the Losties aren't dead.
Old 04-14-10, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dvdaddict32
Yeah I wanted to know more about Illana. I also don't like how Ben has been defanged and Richard is so pathetic. In a desperate attempt to be the leader, Richard just pretended that he was still being guided by Jacob. Blowing up the plane is the only plan he could come up with.
Agreed. With the exception of their respective "featured episodes", Ben and Richard have had very little to do. This is especially noticeable with Ben, since he is a main character and had been such an influencing force in this series.

Anyone know the answer to my question about Dr. Chang? Did I miss something?
Old 04-14-10, 09:13 AM

I think the most significant thing about Dr. Chang from last night (besides the fact that he is alive) was that he seemed to have both hands. Pretty strong evidence that the Incident/atomic explosion did not occur in this timeline.
Old 04-14-10, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Desmond had to try and alter Locke's life in the Sideways life to somehow affect him in the island life. That is what I am thinking here.
Yeah I was trying to figure out why Desmond wanted Locke dead (he was definitely trying to end his life, not "alter" it). Could it be that this is how the MiB escapes the island? When the timelines merge, presumably Flocke's body merges into alternate Locke's body and thus escapes the island? And this is why MiB has no intention of leaving Locke's body even for a moment. He has to be in Locke's body when the merge happens or he's SOL.

Desmond realizes all this and decides that the only way to stop MiB from escaping the island is by killing alternate Locke's body.
Old 04-14-10, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Palaver
I think the most significant thing about Dr. Chang from last night (besides the fact that he is alive) was that he seemed to have both hands. Pretty strong evidence that the Incident/atomic explosion did not occur in this timeline.
But why did he look the same age as he did in the 1970s? Or am I wrong? (I wasn't paying as close attention at that point.)
Old 04-14-10, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKing
Let me see if I can possibly explain things to help those who might be confused by what's going on. You could also just chalk it up to my "theory."
Gotta love Lost!
Everybody has a theory, and 99.99% of everyone's wrong.
Old 04-14-10, 09:55 AM

All the Losties are stuck in the Matrix and Desmond is Morpheus. Everyone gets exactly what they wanted on a superficial level to keep them happy.
Old 04-14-10, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 165 Posts

Was the T-Rex shaped award that ALT Hugo received suppose to be a joke? In the first season the Losties see bunch of trees crashing in the jungle at night. Most of the people posting online thought it was a T-Rex.
Old 04-14-10, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Finally, this is something that just occurred to me. I'm probably not the first to think of this, but knowing that Damon Lindelof is a big Yankees fan, I think the numbers take their roots in historic Yankees, those whose numbers were retired.

4: Lou Gehrig
8: Yogi Berra
15: Thurman Munson (died in plane crash)
16: Whitey Ford
23: Don Mattingly
42: Jackie Robinson and soon to be Mariano Rivera.

I can't believe this never occurred to me before, but it all came together when Mr. Cluck's announced Desmond's order number 42... probably due to watching Rivera close out the Yankees home opener yesterday with Yogi and Whitey in attendance.
Old 04-14-10, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Quack
Finally, this is something that just occurred to me. I'm probably not the first to think of this, but knowing that Damon Lindelof is a big Yankees fan, I think the numbers take their roots in historic Yankees, those whose numbers were retired.

I can't believe this never occurred to me before, but it all came together when Mr. Cluck's announced Desmond's order number 42... probably due to watching Rivera close out the Yankees home opener yesterday with Yogi and Whitey in attendance.
May have just occurred to you but that's been making the rounds ever since the numbers came out
Old 04-14-10, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dom56
Was the T-Rex shaped award that ALT Hugo received suppose to be a joke? In the first season the Losties see bunch of trees crashing in the jungle at night. Most of the people posting online thought it was a T-Rex.
That's how I took it. Which was hilarious.
Old 04-14-10, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Desmond was not trying to kill Locke. If he wanted to kill him he wouldn't have ran into him and then sped off. If it was that important that Locke die, Desmond would have stuck around and made sure the job was finished.
Old 04-14-10, 10:37 AM

long time reader/lurker, first post this season...
quick comments and questions:

Desmond doesn't know Locke is dead. So he thought MiB was the real Locke. He trusted him at the well, plus he's been zapped so he is in some state of shock.

Where is Christian Shepherd in all this? He hasn't been in it at all this season. I'm thinking he is going to pop out sometime as it all comes together. (What got me thinking was seeing the actor on Trauma Monday night as another doctor.)

Was it Christian Shepherd that came to Claire as she lived in the woods? the father figure giving her comfort in the cabin over the 3 years on the island. Did MiB take his role?
Old 04-14-10, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Quack

That's awesome. First time hearing about it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.