TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Glee -- Spring Premiere "Hell-O" -- 4/13/10 Special Start Time 9:28-10:30pm

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-10, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Glee -- Spring Premiere "Hell-O" -- 4/13/10 Special Start Time 9:28-10:30pm

Originally Posted by hahn
I know, right? I kept waiting for it. Oh well, it looks like she's going to be a recurring character so I'm pretty sure it's gonna happen at some point. Can't wait to hear her perform. Her voice is absolutely amazing. Taye Diggs is a lucky bastard.

Hmm...I wonder if they've thought of bringing back Kristin Chenoweth to pair her up with Idina in a duet. THAT would be awesome.
Spoiler:
Kristin Chenoweth will be back in the 16th episode, titled Home, reprising her role as April Rhodes; she will sing two duets with Will and have a solo, but will not be singing with Menzel. While this is supposed to be her only appearance in the back nine, the creative minds behind the show have indicated a desire to have her return in the future. The producers have already said that while they would love to have Chenoweth and Menzel duet, if they can't figure out a natural way to do it in the story then they won't force it.
Old 04-15-10, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

I'm not too familiar with Idina Menzel. Is she a Broadway star? All I know about her is that she's married to Taye Diggs.
Old 04-15-10, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yup, she originated the role of Maureen in "Rent" and Elphaba in "Wicked".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idina_Menzel
Old 04-15-10, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As far as films are concerned, she reprised her role as Maureen in "Rent" and played Nancy in "Enchanted," where she was severely underutilized.
Old 04-15-10, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I love the show...but is anyone else getting bored with the story always either being about the club having to fight to stay in business or one of the members being too worried about what everyone else thinks cause they sing. Its like everyweek someones either getting threatening to quit...or being threatened to quit. And now once again...they prove themselves as a whole...and they have to do it all over again by winning or theyre done.
Ya, it is a bit like they hit the rewind button. I am also getting a little tired of the team always ragging on Rachael. Isn't there someone else to pick on for a few episodes? LOL I still LOVE this show though...
Old 04-15-10, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Love the show, liked the episode though I agree that I wish they would move the plots in a different direction instead of recycling old ideas.

"Sometimes I forget my middle name" slayed me.
Old 04-15-10, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen
...she was severely underutilized.
Isn't it weird how you can look at a word and at first not see it for what it's supposed to be? I looked at that word and saw "un-derutilized", and I even went on to wonder for a split second what it means to be DE-rutilized, let alone UN-derutilized. Then I realized, "Oh...under-utilized. Duh."
Old 04-15-10, 04:08 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

now...that wasn't Jane Lynch actually singing, right?
Old 04-15-10, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
the last few minutes had the glee club doing a performance of "Hello Goodbye" by the Beatles. After the song was done, Rachel walked out with a shot of Finns reaction, and then cut to black
Thanks for the recap.

And thanks to those that posted the Vogue links!
Old 04-15-10, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by scott1598
now...that wasn't Jane Lynch actually singing, right?
It was her singing. But I think her vocals were really drowned out by the music and the backing vocals. It actually sounded more like her singing over a pre-recorded track.
Old 04-15-10, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I thought this episode was so-so. I was anticipating alot more considering the wait and how much happened on the last episode.

I agree, that it does feel like a big reset was pushed on everyone. Back to the satus quo. Cheerios coach reinstated instantly, not even having to work her way back. Will & Emma and Rachael & Finn back to square one.

Some thoughts through the episode:

Spoiler:
Will disappointed me too. When Emma told him she'd never had sex before Will had the typical dismayed male expression you see in so many cliched movies and tv shows. I'm also surprised he was trying to get it on with her on a first date.

Sometimes I really like Rachael but other times, like this ep, I feel like they do too good a job of making her unlikeable.

The Vocal Adrenaline teacher was cute. I'm not really feeling the conspiracy-against-Glee club angle. Already Sue and the Cheerios are plotting, then you got Will's wife, then there was the deaf team cheating, Eve's team cheating, and now this. I was expecting this season to be alot different but it seems like more of the same. It's still a good show. Just a little let down.

Also seemed like more singing than usual. "Hell" and the last song were really good though.
Old 04-15-10, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked the guy's singing, but his habit of sticking his tongue out was a little distracting.

Last edited by Heat; 04-15-10 at 11:16 PM.
Old 04-16-10, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by The Infidel
Isn't it weird how you can look at a word and at first not see it for what it's supposed to be? I looked at that word and saw "un-derutilized", and I even went on to wonder for a split second what it means to be DE-rutilized, let alone UN-derutilized. Then I realized, "Oh...under-utilized. Duh."
You should go to www.penisland.net . They have things there you might want.
Old 04-16-10, 12:48 PM

I, for one, wasn't a bit disappointed in the second season opener. The writing was tight and set up the conflicts for the season rather quickly. Adding Jonathan Groff (Michele's partner from Broadway's "Spring Awakening" was a very smooth move) and getting to see them work together a delight. Veteran Broadway star Idina Menzel promises great sparks if both she and Groff stick around. Each add weight to the already strong central cast.

Having the table's turned on the Rachel/Finn conflict will also be a nice change. I've always admired Cory Montieth in a challenging role of being dim yet attractive. I think he pulls that off quite well with a voice that melds well with the choir.

I seemed to have been the only fan of Jessalyn Gilsig, who added leavening to Matthew Morrison's "sunny" disposition. I'm glad to see she's still in the mix, taunting Emma (in a particularly well-written, well-played scene with Jayma Mays).

The complaint that the show is "recycling plots" seems odd. Wouldn't they have to change the setting to move things much? During last season we discussed, "What'll happen when they graduate?" But the plot has moved slowly enough to keep them all in high school. The cutting parody, I hope, they continue to write in the script; for me, it's what keeps it all watchable.

The preview for the next show being the "Vogue" video shows that there is no lack of imagination in the creative team. And I'm just as eager to tune in each week as I was last season...at least so far.
Old 04-16-10, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^its still season 1. They shot the first 13 last summer (well the pilot earlier) and i assume just waited to see what the response would be
Old 04-16-10, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Yeah, I'm definitely not glad that Terri is still around. I was really hoping they gave her the boot.
Old 04-16-10, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
^its still season 1
Annnnnd, right, Rypro 525. Season I, Pt. 2, I guess
Old 04-18-10, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by postermen
You should go to www.penisland.net . They have things there you might want.

No one liked the "he pulled a Jessica Simpson" line?