Damages -- "You Were His Little Monkey" -- 04/12/10

Old 04-12-10, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Damages -- "You Were His Little Monkey" -- 04/12/10

Damages

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
While Patty and Ellen set out to tear the Tobin family apart, Tom's career and marriage are unraveling, so he makes a deal with a devil.

Next week is the Season, but most likely Series Finale. FX's President confirmed the report that Sony is working with Directv to try to save this show. I wouldn't hold my breath on it. This show just never caught on with mainstream viewers.
Old 04-13-10, 01:03 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Damages -- "You Were His Little Monkey" -- 04/12/10

Wow, they really started to tie things together tonight and I guess we now know why Frobisher is back.

Can't wait to see how they wrap this up next week.
Old 04-13-10, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"What do you say we bag us a couple of whores - my treat!"

Another excellent, fun hour...though I still don't understand the horse symbolism in Patty's dreams/hallucinations.

I hope the Tobins rot in hell.

Nice 'twist' with Jill's present to Michael being the same car Patty had been driving in this season's mystery auto accident. Oh, and did anybody else think Patty was about to burst into tears when Michael left her office after revealing the DNA paternity test?

If Ellen doesn't hear back from Wes, she could try taking a trip down to Harlan County, KY (Is Timothy Olyphant making an appearance in next week's finale?)

Originally Posted by MrX View Post
Wow, they really started to tie things together tonight and I guess we now know why Frobisher is back.
Yup -- and all these nods to season 1 leads me to believe that next week will most likely be the series finale.

Last edited by skatefan20; 04-13-10 at 02:04 AM.
Old 04-13-10, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is the series doing well internationally? This might be a factor in whether or not it's renewed.
Old 04-13-10, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sigh. I gave up on this series three weeks ago. No point in trying to catch up on the DVR now I suppose. Once it was revealed that Tom bites it, I pretty much lost interest. Will probably rent it on DVD at some point.
Old 04-13-10, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by rfduncan View Post
Sigh. I gave up on this series three weeks ago. No point in trying to catch up on the DVR now I suppose. Once it was revealed that Tom bites it, I pretty much lost interest. Will probably rent it on DVD at some point.
Why? That was the main mystery, unless you aren't a fan of flash forwards.
Old 04-13-10, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Why? That was the main mystery, unless you aren't a fan of flash forwards.
Well because Tom Shayes was my favorite character. After I realized he wouldn't be on the show more than this season, I got turned off and tuned out. Plus the Season Pass for the show was flaky at best on my TiVo, and I kept feeling like I was missing episodes.
Old 04-13-10, 01:47 PM

Well, you're missing some great episodes.

And hell, I'm not entirely convinced he's dead. Yeah, I know but it's Damages.
Old 04-13-10, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Also it's no big loss that he won't appear in future seasons. There won't be any.
Old 04-13-10, 02:57 PM
Banned

I started watching the very 1st show on Hulu last night. I really need to understand this Frobisher stuff because I just started watching this season.

I had to laugh at Leonard's real name 'Lester Wiggins' Are you kidding me? I know it was revealed previously but that name makes me laugh because it doesn't fit at all and then being called little monkey

Last edited by bootsy; 04-13-10 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-13-10, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rfduncan View Post
Well because Tom Shayes was my favorite character. After I realized he wouldn't be on the show more than this season, I got turned off and tuned out. Plus the Season Pass for the show was flaky at best on my TiVo, and I kept feeling like I was missing episodes.
Strange rationale considering your favorite character is the focal point of the season. And even more so when you factor in that this is most likely the final season.

I just got caught up with the show after a few mini-marathons and I'm really liking it. I was hating the Frobisher stuff, but it looks like Ellen is finally going to get some justice so it might be worth it in the end. I'm not sure if it's the writing or the actor, but I think the story with Patty's son has been the weakest part of the season.

Can't wait for next week's 90 minute finale. I hope that doesn't mean just more commercials.

Last edited by dino88; 04-13-10 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-13-10, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have heard there is a good chance of Damages being saved by DIRECTV in a FNL type deal. I hope so, this show is awesome. I thought that the payoff for the Frobisher "fluff" was awesome, unexpected and extremely clever by the writers.
Old 04-13-10, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
I have heard there is a good chance of Damages being saved by DIRECTV in a FNL type deal. I hope so, this show is awesome. I thought that the payoff for the Frobisher "fluff" was awesome, unexpected and extremely clever by the writers.
I mentioned it in my 1st post. Sony is talking to Directv, but the chances are really slim considering how expensive Damages is compared to Friday Night Lights.
Old 04-13-10, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe Patty can take on that FNL
Spoiler:
abortion
case. Kill 2 birds...
Old 04-13-10, 03:18 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bootsy View Post
I started watching the very 1st show on Hulu last night. I really need to understand this Frobisher stuff because I just started watching this season.
Basically all you need to know is, and I'll spoiler it if you don't want to read it

Spoiler:
Messer was a cop who was on Frobisher's payroll and did his dirty work, including killing Ellen's fiance. Wes was Messer's former partner who worked his way into Ellen's life to keep tabs on her. When she started to get close to discovering Messer's connection to everything, Messer told Wes he had to take care of her. Wes had developed feelings for Ellen and he killed Messer instead to save her.
Old 04-13-10, 04:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MrX View Post
Basically all you need to know is, and I'll spoiler it if you don't want to read it

Spoiler:
Messer was a cop who was on Frobisher's payroll and did his dirty work, including killing Ellen's fiance. Wes was Messer's former partner who worked his way into Ellen's life to keep tabs on her. When she started to get close to discovering Messer's connection to everything, Messer told Wes he had to take care of her. Wes had developed feelings for Ellen and he killed Messer instead to save her.
I read it. I will still watch but at least know what is coming. Thanks.

I still want to see how the first two seasons play out and connect it to this season. I did watch it a little off and on last year and remembered seeing Lester and Rawls from the Wire and then this season they have Brother Mouzone and The Greek. The creator of this show must be a huge Wire fan. Well aren't we all.

Last edited by bootsy; 04-13-10 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-13-10, 05:36 PM

It took all season, but it's nice to see one of these threads break into the double digits. I hope Leonard doesn't bite it next week. The Tobins need to die though. Pure disdain. As for the Frobisher stuff, I actually expected the actor to go to the cops after the cocaine chat. Surprised to see him go to Patty instead, but it makes sense. As for Keith Carradine, is he just a figment of Patty's imagination? I thought the guy from Southland Tales recommended him.

Really looking forward to next week. Best season of the show IMO.
Old 04-13-10, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I dont want the Tobins to die, i want them penniless and rotting in prison.
Old 04-13-10, 08:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by J. Farley View Post
It took all season, but it's nice to see one of these threads break into the double digits. I hope Leonard doesn't bite it next week. The Tobins need to die though. Pure disdain. As for the Frobisher stuff, I actually expected the actor to go to the cops after the cocaine chat. Surprised to see him go to Patty instead, but it makes sense. As for Keith Carradine, is he just a figment of Patty's imagination? I thought the guy from Southland Tales recommended him.

Really looking forward to next week. Best season of the show IMO.
That's what I said a few episodes ago that I thought his character wasn't real. I hope they explain the horse thing.

Also I hope the Tobins all die a slow death or like Axeramm said penniless.
Old 04-13-10, 08:39 PM

When Michael's baby mama took Patty's money and stayed in the city buying lavish gifts, I said out loud "this chick is dead!". I hope Leonard/Lester isn't killed off, but it seems slightly apparent to me. When the season started I felt so bad for the Tobins (aside from Louis) only to find out that they are all the same.

This show is crazy good and hopefully it'll be back for season 4. Even if so, we'll have to wait 8 months. I'm almost certain that if there is a season 4, Ellen will be back at Hewes & Associates. She'll probably find her way back in next week's episode
Old 04-14-10, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great line and thread title.
Old 04-14-10, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Stunt casting that actually works!

I remember trying the first few episodes when this series began & I just could not get into it. The mystery didn't intrigue & the characters didn't appeal. I gave up quickly. But I had to try this season when I heard that Martin Short & Lily Tomlin would be on - & I'm really enjoying it. I've also turned 2 other people onto it. Unfortunately, none of us are Neilsen families. Nor have we bought Cadillacs this season.

I'm definitely up for another season if they can work out a deal.
Old 04-14-10, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Some great work by Martin Short here in this episode. The look he gave Lily Tomlin when he learned that she didn't tell Joe the truth was great. It was a "why am I supporting/helping these heartless bastards type" full of anguish. If I were Mr. Zedick, I would've had someone beatdown Joe for acting like a self entitled punk. Especially during that scene with Zedick and Joe in the beginning of the episode.

Tom's wife was also very loathsome this episode. She does realize that he's supporting his parents, her parents and her plus the kids right?

Great episode. I just wish the rumors weren't true that this will probably be the series finale on Monday. I still don't get the horse/hole in wall analogies though.
Old 04-14-10, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can't believe Joe Tobin wouldn't think of the repercussions of kicking Lenny to the curb, unless he's that stupid. He knows too much about the family. But, knowing the show, I'm sure everything is not as it seems.
Old 04-14-10, 10:41 PM

One thing that was alluded to earlier on that's missing in these episodes is the affair between Tom and Ellen. Maybe it's a misdirect because it's been mentioned that they were starting a firm together and that may be the 'affair', but even that was mentioned just in passing. Nothing else has materialized to move either of those storylines further and we are at the season finale.