Stargate Universe -- "Divided" -- 04/09/10

Old 04-09-10, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Stargate Universe -- "Divided" -- 04/09/10

SGU

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Dr. Rush and Chloe suffer nightmares following their ordeal on the alien vessel, and Rush suspects that a tracking device may have been placed on the ship's hull. Later, a splinter group on Destiny executes a coup with life-threatening consequences.

Looking forward to it. I enjoyed last week's return alot.

I read another site tvbythenumbers.com and everytime they post an SGU related story or about it's ratings, the SGU trolls/haters come out in full force and bash the show constantly. Drives me nuts. Constantly complaining about how much they hate these characters.
Old 04-10-10, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish they'd throw Rush out an airlock already.
Old 04-10-10, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Stargate Universe -- "Divided" -- 04/09/10

The show would be a lot less interesting without Rush.

I thought this episode was okay--not as good as the last one. I like how they haven't just dropped the 'civilians vs military' conflict. Was surprised that Chloe would be a part of it, though.

My complaint, character-wise, is this: While I feel like most of the characters are interesting and complex and the writing is continuing to give us more insight into their motivations at a good pace, the problem is that I'm not really rooting for any of them. I want to have at least a couple of characters that are more likeable--people I would want to be friends with IRL. Eli is meant to fill that role, I think, but he doesn't do it for me. TJ is probably the most 'noble' character, for whatever that's worth, but her role has been relatively small. BSG's characters were complex and even the heroes had plenty of flaws, but at least I cared about whether they succeeded.

As someone posted last week, the external conflict (the aliens) was a welcome relief from the internal power struggles. I hope we see more in that vein soon.

Last edited by Cellar Door; 04-10-10 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-10-10, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY

IOA bitch should be lined up against a wall and shot

they've been in contact with the civilian gov't and that gov't left Young in charge of the mission
Old 04-10-10, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY

so they jump before the shields drop
and next time the aliens will simply send 5 or 6 ships instead of 3
Old 04-10-10, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mikehunt View Post
so they jump before the shields drop
and next time the aliens will simply send 5 or 6 ships instead of 3
Well, these aliens can no longer track them. That was the whole point of removing the implant in Rush before the ship jumped again.
Old 04-11-10, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Cellar Door View Post
Well, these aliens can no longer track them. That was the whole point of removing the implant in Rush before the ship jumped again.
but at the time of rush came up with his "just sit here and hope the shields hold until we jump to FTL" plan he hadn't even told anyone they still could be tracked
and I have a feeling they'll find another way to track them
Old 04-11-10, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

TJ is hot!
Old 04-11-10, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was expecting Young to say to to the lead conspriator at the end that the civilians should elect a leader & that leader will have a say in all decisions made on Destiny.
Old 04-11-10, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by bigsoos View Post
TJ is hot!
I said that last week. Alaina Huffman was actually pregnant when these episodes were filmed last year hence her boobs are probably a little bigger and she definitely has a glow.
Old 04-11-10, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't stand Rush because he's a shady self centered bastard. I do think it's interesting that they've managed to make everyone on the ship a bit shady or at least show real potential for shady behavior.

Yes, I like the dark tone of this show. I like that they've kept the goofy characters/antics to a minimum.
Old 04-11-10, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I said that last week. Alaina Huffman was actually pregnant when these episodes were filmed last year hence her boobs are probably a little bigger and she definitely has a glow.
Sweet Jesus, I'm just now realizing Alaina is "Black Canary" on Smallville.
Old 04-11-10, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone else hoping they get Rodney McKay as a guest star some episode? They can use the stones to bring him there to help fix Destiny. Rodney vs. Rush would be epic.
Old 04-11-10, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by resinrats View Post
Anyone else hoping they get Rodney McKay as a guest star some episode? They can use the stones to bring him there to help fix Destiny. Rodney vs. Rush would be epic.
I would *love* to see that!
One of the things I miss the most about the demise of SG:A is the absence of the Rodney McKay character.

I would even like to see a verbal sparring bout between Eli and McKay.

As long as Rush is on the ship, though, I doubt that there will be a need for McKay to be there. So I don't think we'll ever get a Rush vs. McKay showdown.

Ya' know, the story arc that was set up in "Justice" would have had a chance to create a scenario for Rodney's return. With Rush gone they would have needed McKay's expertise to help them research the various Ancient technology-laden areas of the ship. That's one of the reasons why I thought they brought Rush back too quick.

I will say that this week's episode was the first in the series that kept my attention for the entire hour, so maybe SGU is *finally* starting to come together as a viable Stargate series.
Old 04-11-10, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I liked him at first, but eventually Rodney McKay ruined SG:A. Every episode became about him, usually complaining for 30 minutes about how he was being asked to accomplish some impossible task or the world would end. Then with seconds to spare, he accomplishes the impossible task. World saved, until next week when... see above. Lather, rinse, repeat. Over and over and over. Really a problem with the writers, not the actor. Anyway, Eli kinda fills the "McKay" role, but he doesn't have the savior-like powers of Rodney, which is a good thing.

Keep McKay far away from Destiny.
Old 04-12-10, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I liked this episode.

I thought it did a good job setting up the tension between the civilians and military. This episode really showed that Camille (Ming-Na) and Rush's plan to take over the ship was flawed from the start. Did Rush really expect this mutiny to succeed especially with him knowing that a tracking device was in his chest and Aliens were hot on their trail?

Loved the communication stones malfunctioning during the attack with Chloe freaking out at doing surgery on Rush.

I like TJ, Eli, Chloe and her boyfriend. But, I can see with the dark tone of the show and the constant fighting that there really is noone to root for. After seeing the really beautiful episode last Fall with Camille and her life partner, I'm really surprised to see the turn in her character to a much darker persona.

Last edited by DJariya; 04-12-10 at 04:42 AM.
Old 04-12-10, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mikehunt View Post
they've been in contact with the civilian gov't and that gov't left Young in charge of the mission
Didn't Earth try to remove Young from command and he basically told them to back off and leave him alone or he'd stop using the communication stones?
Old 04-12-10, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Two episodes without him, I wonder if Lou Diamond Phillips is no longer a part of the cast? Was he in the credits?
Old 04-12-10, 12:46 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
After seeing the really beautiful episode last Fall with Camille and her life partner, I'm really surprised to see the turn in her character to a much darker persona.

Well, one could say (from her perspective) that with a mix of having a desire to go home, no decision making capacity in major issues (despite being the ranking civilian) + then finding out that Young tried to kill Rush and then lie about it (personal vendetta vs. the needs to the crew), that you become skeptical of the status quo on the ship.
Old 04-12-10, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Chew View Post
Two episodes without him, I wonder if Lou Diamond Phillips is no longer a part of the cast? Was he in the credits?
Lou Diamond Phillips was never an official member of the cast, just a recurring guest star. I'm sure he will be back in some capacity.
Old 04-12-10, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I liked him at first, but eventually Rodney McKay ruined SG:A. Every episode became about him, usually complaining for 30 minutes about how he was being asked to accomplish some impossible task or the world would end. Then with seconds to spare, he accomplishes the impossible task. World saved, until next week when... see above. Lather, rinse, repeat. Over and over and over. Really a problem with the writers, not the actor. Anyway, Eli kinda fills the "McKay" role, but he doesn't have the savior-like powers of Rodney, which is a good thing.

Keep McKay far away from Destiny.
Uhm, thank you.

I watch old eps of SG:Atlantis and he's by far the most annoying character. Eli's goofiness and goofy characters in general have been kept to a minimum and I appreciate that.
Old 04-12-10, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For some reason I really like this show but I could take or leave most of the cast and characters. I like the idea behind it and the setting on-board Destiny enough that I don't really invest too much in the characters. In some cases I would almost prefer that they just get out of the way and let us see more of the ship.
Old 04-13-10, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Really dug the musical intro. That's not something we would have ever seen on SG-1 or Atlantis.

Other than that can we say F I L L E R ?

I liked him at first, but eventually Rodney McKay ruined SG:A.
Rodney was more tolerable while Carson was still around.
Old 04-13-10, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by WallyOPD View Post
Didn't Earth try to remove Young from command and he basically told them to back off and leave him alone or he'd stop using the communication stones?
I remember he got in a pissing match with Jack but don't remember the full details. Wasn't it over the specific mission with the risky plan to fly into a star to try to power the gate and not general command?