Bones -- 100th Episode -- "The Parts in the Sum of the Whole" -- 04/08/10

Old 04-08-10, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Bones -- 100th Episode -- "The Parts in the Sum of the Whole" -- 04/08/10

Bones

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Brennan and Booth recall their first case together six years ago, when FBI agent Booth recruited Brennan's team of scientists, whose uncanny instincts and investigative work supported his suspicions about an influential judge. Zack: Eric Millegan.

The 100th episode on how Booth and Bones 1st met. In Plain Sight did something similar on Wednesday I vaguely remember the Pilot, but they already had an established relationship when the show 1st started right?
Old 04-08-10, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Bones -- 100th Episode -- "The Parts in the Sum of the Whole" -- 04/08/10

In the pilot, they had worked together in the past, but it wasn't a regular partnership until the end of the pilot.
Old 04-08-10, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This aired last night here in Canada, and the only thing about it I wish they would have included was Dr. Goodman (Jonathan Adams). This show was completely and utterly forgotten all about him since they removed him between seasons 1 and 2. They obviously decided to take a look back at the core group of characters and to leave him out with no mention of him was pretty low. By comparison ANGEL managed to call back to Glenn Quinn who died not only on the show but in real life and it was a great little mention for its 100th episode.

David Boreanaz was on Leno Tuesday night and showed a clip from the episode, which includes a cameo by his father, the now retired ABC Philadelphia weather man Dave Roberts. He's the man using a Xerox machine and waking past camera just as Booth and Bones enter the scene.
Old 04-09-10, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Martin View Post
This aired last night here in Canada, and the only thing about it I wish they would have included was Dr. Goodman (Jonathan Adams). This show was completely and utterly forgotten all about him since they removed him between seasons 1 and 2. They obviously decided to take a look back at the core group of characters and to leave him out with no mention of him was pretty low. By comparison ANGEL managed to call back to Glenn Quinn who died not only on the show but in real life and it was a great little mention for its 100th episode.

David Boreanaz was on Leno Tuesday night and showed a clip from the episode, which includes a cameo by his father, the now retired ABC Philadelphia weather man Dave Roberts. He's the man using a Xerox machine and waking past camera just as Booth and Bones enter the scene.
While I did wonder about that character being missing, we don't know if the actor was contacted or not. Perhaps he was not happy about how he was removed from the show and had no interest in coming back. From a writing standpoint, sure they could have thrown in a line about the guy being away at that time, much like they did in the Season 2 premiere, but most of the audience has forgotten him anyway.

It's a little different if the actor has died, typically a show will want to honor and respect that. But for a failed character the writers felt needed to be replaced?
Old 04-09-10, 12:55 AM

That's what I'm saying - even a throwaway line, something like "Dr. Goodman is currently stuck in meetings" would have at the very least been enough to say he's not forgotten.
Old 04-09-10, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It was good to see the old team back together, even if it was the origin story.

Sad ending, but perhaps it's a new beginning.
Old 04-09-10, 08:13 AM

Am I the only one who was totally unhappy with this episode? The whole plot felt too-'Star Wars prequel' if you know what I mean. You know like how the Star Wars prequels just HAD to have C3P0 (and had Anakin build him), R2D2 and Chewbacca? It felt that way about having Cam in there, and all of the setups like Bones inspiring Booth to be a 'maverick' with his tie, Angela being hired on and Hodgins hitting on Angela right away. Not to metion Booth and Brennan kissing, and yet that was never brought up later. And then the ending, it felt like "here's what the fans want, they kiss, but now we totally destroy the possible of the whole will they/won't they"
Old 04-09-10, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2010/04/...ance-spoilers/

Tidbits about where they go from here
Old 04-09-10, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by joltman View Post
all of the setups like Bones inspiring Booth to be a 'maverick' with his tie
I thought that was supposed to lead up to that goofy belt buckle Booth always has on. The Angela/Hodgins thing was a little more harshly handled if you ask me... and they never referenced the fact that Hodgins is mega-rich which was referenced many times in the first season.
Old 04-09-10, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by rfduncan View Post
I thought that was supposed to lead up to that goofy belt buckle Booth always has on. The Angela/Hodgins thing was a little more harshly handled if you ask me... and they never referenced the fact that Hodgins is mega-rich which was referenced many times in the first season.
... but not revealed until several episodes into the season, when he refused to go to a Jeffersonian banquet.

I love Bones, but I really didn't like this episode. I agree with the above poster who said it felt like the Star Wars prequels.
Old 04-10-10, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I give shows a bit more leeway when it comes to 100th episodes. At this point they've been playing the same roles for 5 years and the actors, writers, etc usually want to wink at the audience and have a little fun. So I take in in that spirit.

I read an interview last week with the creator of the show where he dismissed the "They did it/Moonlighting" jump the shark theory. I didn't believe him for a moment, so I don't expect the sexual tension between Booth and Bones to be resolved any time soon.
Old 04-10-10, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's stupid if they don't hook up. Ending fucking sucks!
Old 04-10-10, 08:02 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You couldn't have Booth mope around any longer. You either have them hook up, and then thats it... or you release a little tension and settle things down.

Booth will find someone else, Bones will realize what she's lost, and in the end, when its all said and done they will be together. Although IMO Booth could do wayyyyyyy better.
Old 04-11-10, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe View Post
You couldn't have Booth mope around any longer. You either have them hook up, and then thats it... or you release a little tension and settle things down.

Booth will find someone else, Bones will realize what she's lost, and in the end, when its all said and done they will be together. Although IMO Booth could do wayyyyyyy better.
Maybe they can get Zooey to come back on for a family 4th of July BBQ, and love could blossom.