TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Twenty Four (24) -- "6:00am to 8:00am" -- 2 Hours -- 04/05/10

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-10, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts
Re: Twenty Four (24) -- "6:00am to 8:00am" -- 2 Hours -- 04/05/10

Originally Posted by whoopdido
And who would care if some scumbag terrorist got taken advantage of and either ended up in Gitmo or dead?
the ACLU

hey, I didn't say I agree with them..haha
Old 04-08-10, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by wm lopez
Because she was willing to let 10,000 New Yorkers die for the life of one foriegn leader. Also other calls she made last season.
In addition to the "we don't negotiate with terrorists " policy, we have to remember that everyone keeps saying that Hassan is the only chance there is for a peace accord. If there isn't a peace treaty, who knows what will happen in the region and how many lives (civilian and US military) could be lost in the long term. If you hand over Hassan, the guys who threatened to detonate a nuclear weapon on US soil are now in power and that can't possibly end well.
Old 04-08-10, 06:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whoopdido
Does anybody know what the exact rules are as far as immunity goes?

Can somebody explain to me why we (the US government) can't just give somebody immunity, get their information and then immediately throw them in Gitmo or simply execute them for committing treason?

I mean, everybody knows the government has done some "bad" stuff in the name of national security, so rather than let these terrorists off scott free, why not just be snakes and take advantage of them to get what we need? Who would ever know? And who would care if some scumbag terrorist got taken advantage of and either ended up in Gitmo or dead?
Well these are looked at by the villain's lawyers and approved and files I suppose. Once they are pardoned, it's "official" in the highest court. Their wrong doings are erased. Getting them back would be just like throwing the book on any innocents and not exactly seen as a good way to go by other countries. After all, what kind of civilized country just arrests and jails/kills innocents?

That's why pardons shouldn't be used lightly, but it's common use in 24.

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
Someone mentioned in last week's thread that they still have that unresolved plotline from a season or two ago about the guys "behind the scenes," playing chess with the world's leaders. I barely remember it, but I think that could be a nice possibility, especially given that this is the last season.
I expected this and the final battle with Tony to be in the next movie if they ever got to it.
Old 04-08-10, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Vipper II
My money's on Richard Walsh. Think about it - Richard Walsh, Dana Walsh. Coincidence?
Oh man, that would blow my mind!
Old 04-08-10, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Luds
Well these are looked at by the villain's lawyers and approved and files I suppose. Once they are pardoned, it's "official" in the highest court. Their wrong doings are erased. Getting them back would be just like throwing the book on any innocents and not exactly seen as a good way to go by other countries. After all, what kind of civilized country just arrests and jails/kills innocents?

That's why pardons shouldn't be used lightly, but it's common use in 24.
I figured it's just a lawyer thing.

How bout we present the terrorist with some dude pretending to be his lawyer, show him the immunity document, the dude/lawyer signs off on it, the terrorist tells us what he knows and then we ship him off to God knows where and destroy the document. No real lawyer would ever know about it.

Sneaky? Yes? Unconstitutional? Yes. But I don't care. I know 24 isn't like the real world at all, but it would absolutely boggle my mind if I knew that really rotten terrorists are actually able to get off scott free due to them giving up information in return for complete immunity. We have resources and we've done worse things, so just screw them over. They certainly deserve it.
Old 04-08-10, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dino88
Am I missing something? Why didn't Jack stop the internet feed?

This bothered me as well. I know Jack was in shock, but they had just enough time for him or Renee to pull the plug on the laptop sending the feed. It would have prevented a lot of trouble, but I guess that video had to be seen for the rest of the storyline to happen.

My other major issue with the episode was the woman getting out of the parking garage with Hassan in the back. They had just specifically mentioned that both exits needed to be covered, but no one was there to stop her car from leaving? I was screaming at the tv about that one.
Old 04-08-10, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
For as long as can be remembered The U.S. govt does not negotiate with terrorist's to begin to do so, opens the doors for many many others groups to hold cities hostage with threats, knowing that one group had succeeded.

plus i mean we are talking about bad guys, for all you know they go back on their word, after they have what they want. how do we know that said bomb in the episode, contained all the missing rods?
WE DO NOT NEGOTIATE WITH TERRORISTS.

(Unless, of course, the terrorists demand that a CTU agent personally assassinate the director of CTU; then it's ok.)
Old 04-08-10, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by collven
This bothered me as well. I know Jack was in shock, but they had just enough time for him or Renee to pull the plug on the laptop sending the feed. It would have prevented a lot of trouble, but I guess that video had to be seen for the rest of the storyline to happen.

My other major issue with the episode was the woman getting out of the parking garage with Hassan in the back. They had just specifically mentioned that both exits needed to be covered, but no one was there to stop her car from leaving? I was screaming at the tv about that one.
That's of course preceded by ridiculous insta-switch and that the terrorists had someone waiting in the garage on the off chance that CTU was tracking them and their man happened to flee there.
Old 04-08-10, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
That's of course preceded by ridiculous insta-switch and that the terrorists had someone waiting in the garage on the off chance that CTU was tracking them and their man happened to flee there.

That never even crossed my mind.
Old 04-08-10, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by collven
I may be wrong about this but I believe the woman exited the garage where Jack came in. They may have screwed up in thinking Jack already had that exit covered. At least that was my thought as it was happening...
Old 04-08-10, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just hope we get an announcement soon about season 8 comming out on blu/dvd.

it was around this time last year that we first had the announcement of season7 comming to dvd and blu.
Hopefully season 7s bluray sales were good enough to warrent fox releasing season 8 and at some point seasons 1-6 on bluray. The good thing is atleast the msrp on the blu wasnt much more than that of the dvd. does anyone have any idea how well bluray sales were for season 7.
Old 04-09-10, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
I just hope we get an announcement soon about season 8 comming out on blu/dvd.

it was around this time last year that we first had the announcement of season7 comming to dvd and blu.
Hopefully season 7s bluray sales were good enough to warrent fox releasing season 8 and at some point seasons 1-6 on bluray. The good thing is atleast the msrp on the blu wasnt much more than that of the dvd. does anyone have any idea how well bluray sales were for season 7.
Season 7 came out on BR and DVD right after the season finale aired because the season was completed early (December 2008)

Unfortunately that won't be the case for season 8. They are still shooting episodes 23 and 24 right now. I think they will need the summer to get the DVD's ready for the Fall at the earliest.