DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The 15 Greatest "Very Special Episodes" of All Time (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/571580-15-greatest-very-special-episodes-all-time.html)

Doc Moonlight 03-30-10 09:45 AM

The 15 Greatest "Very Special Episodes" of All Time

They call them "ridiculous", but I call them great.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0...44.html#s76559

Cardsfan111 03-30-10 09:53 AM

Re: The 15 Greatest "Very Special Episodes" of All Time

I was hoping to see some of the Very Special Episodes of Diff'rent Strokes listed, but they didn't make the cut. :(

Groucho 03-30-10 09:53 AM

If you're looking for serious replies, "A, My Name is Alex" has to rank up there.

Lastdaysofrain 03-30-10 10:27 AM

Someone sent this to my yesterday (due to my Very Special Episode one man show I did, which can be viewed here www.youtube.com/usuer/lastdaysofrain if anyone is interested, part II specifically talks about a lot of shows). It's kind of a flawed list, way too skewed towards the 90s and ABC.

Plus any list of this nature that neglets Punky Brewster, Facts of Life, Growing Pains and Diff'Rent Strokes is seriously flawed.

Timber 03-30-10 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by cardsfan111 (Post 10078584)
I was hoping to see some of the Very Special Episodes of Diff'rent Strokes listed, but they didn't make the cut. :(

Exactly what I was thinking when I clicked on this thread. If that isn't on there then this list is B.S.

iggystar 03-30-10 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Timber (Post 10078665)
Exactly what I was thinking when I clicked on this thread. If that isn't on there then this list is B.S.

ITA!

"Hey kids, you know what's even more fun than playing video games? Playing them in your underwear" ---- WHAT?

The list is null and void without that special episode alone but what about:

Different Strokes - Kim has bulima and eats the contents of the entire kitchen.

Punky Brewster - Kid gets trapped in the empty refrigerator from the trash heap.

Facts of Life - Tootie thinks the modeling callback is for real, but it's really a front for smutty picture taking.

Timber 03-30-10 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by iggystar (Post 10078705)
ITA!

"Hey kids, you know what's even more fun than playing video games? Playing them in your underwear" ---- WHAT?

The list is null and void without that special episode alone but what about:

Different Strokes - Kim has bulima and eats the contents of the entire kitchen.

Punky Brewster - Kid gets trapped in the empty refrigerator from the trash heap.

Facts of Life - Tootie thinks the modeling callback is for real, but it's really a front for smutty picture taking.

Classics, all of them.

DRG 03-30-10 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain (Post 10078642)
It's kind of a flawed list, way too skewed towards the 90s and ABC.

Plus any list of this nature that neglets Punky Brewster, Facts of Life, Growing Pains and Diff'Rent Strokes is seriously flawed.

Thought the exact same thing. Degrassi is an odd inclusion since it's a drama... by definition a 'very special episode' is supposed to be a sitcom suddenly getting serious, not just any melodramatic tv moment.

Speaking of Punky Brewster, to this day whenever I see an old refrigerator outside I instantly think of that episode where the kid hides in the fridge and can't open it from within. And that was over 20 years ago. :)

Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgbZPTdbLys

Edit: While I was typing this someone else mentioned the same ep, that's awesome. :)

Superman07 03-30-10 11:34 AM

The end of that Fresh Prince episode with his dad actually had some good acting from Will Smith.

ATX 03-30-10 11:35 AM

yeah, but at least they were right on with the Saved By The Bell episode... "I'm so excited" everybody and they grandma remembers that one

i guess they don't consider the Diff Strokes type "rediculous" because they were of a sexual nature... Similarly to that Mr. Belvedere episode where Wesley's boy scout leader rubbed his shoulders or the most classic of all time The "VD" episode of Good Times feat. Jay Leno

TGM 03-30-10 11:40 AM

wasn't there an episode of 'the Fact of Life' when one of them got their period? or was that just an erotic dream I once had?

ATX 03-30-10 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe (Post 10078808)
wasn't there an episode of 'the Fact of Life' when one of them got their period? or was that just an erotic dream I once had?

think that was Roseanne

Groucho 03-30-10 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by iggystar (Post 10078705)

This episode must have been before they all got fat.

zekeburger1979 03-30-10 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 10078585)
If you're looking for serious replies, "A, My Name is Alex" has to rank up there.

First one I thought of.

Lastdaysofrain 03-30-10 01:15 PM

Belvedere had episodes that involved
- Molestation (twice)
- Kid with AIDS (that SHOULD have been on there)
- Date Rape
- Stalking/kidnapping

Diff'rent Strokes:
- Molestation
- Kidnapping

Punky Brewster:
- Bullying the mentally challenged (which included the imortal line spoken by Alan "She doesn't have feelings, she's a retard")
- Eating disorders
- Drugs (the Chicklets)
- Being trapped in fridges (based on an idea submitted by a viewer, Jeremy Reams age 8, wonder where he is now)

Facts of Life:
- Abortion
- Loss of virginity (to a guy named snake no less)
- Suicide
- Date Rape
- Regular Rape
- Teen Prostitution

Growing Pains:
- Drinking and driving related death ("What happened to his second chaa-ance")
- Racist Store owners
- The homeless
- Drugs (cocaine of course)

Silver Spoons:
- The Homeless (Joey Lawrence and family live in a cave on the Strattons property during Christmas, instead of letting them come into their house Ricky just puts lights and a tree in their cave)
- Teen Pregnancy (aired the same night as the imfamous Cherrie in the fridge episode)

The fact that none of these showed up on that list is alarming.

Timber 03-30-10 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain (Post 10078993)
Punky Brewster:
- Bullying the mentally challenged (which included the imortal line spoken by Alan "She doesn't have feelings, she's a retard")

Off to look this one up.

Kmical 03-30-10 01:28 PM

Punky Brewster:
- Being trapped in fridges (based on an idea submitted by a viewer, Jeremy Reams age 8, wonder where he is now)

Last seen playing hide-and-seek at the landfill with his friends ... by all the discarded refrigerators.

Palaver 03-30-10 02:11 PM

Silver Spoons:
- The Homeless (Joey Lawrence and family live in a cave on the Strattons property during Christmas, instead of letting them come into their house Ricky just puts lights and a tree in their cave).

:lol: To be fair, they did give the homeless dad a job, too. I just watched it on Hulu. Neat watching a young Joey Lawrence. Does he ever play a character not named Joey?

<object width="512" height="296"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/Lulal4WXQASs1oerP483mA"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/Lulal4WXQASs1oerP483mA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" width="512" height="296"></embed></object>

Boba Fett 03-30-10 02:30 PM

The episode of "Fresh Prince" with Will's real dad is one of the finest sitcom episodes ever.

RichC2 03-30-10 02:46 PM

The Dinosaurs weed ep didn't make it?

spainlinx0 03-30-10 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 10079234)
The Dinosaurs weed ep didn't make it?

Not the ganja?

Charlie Goose 03-31-10 01:12 AM

Family Ties
- A friend of Alex (previously unseen and unmentioned) is killed in a car crash. Michael J. Fox does the whole episode as a monologue.

Happy Days
- Cannot mention all, but they include: Richie dying, Richie drinking, Joanie almost raped. Fonzie's father, Fonzie alone on Christmas, and dozens more.

Mork and Mindy
- Mork vs. the KKK

Lastdaysofrain 03-31-10 07:33 AM

There's is also the infamous Gimme a Break episode where Joey Lawrence performs at a black church function in full Al Jolsen Black Face doing Me and My Shadow and doesn't understand why everyone is mad. His character is named Joey.

Gunde 03-31-10 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Superman07 (Post 10078789)
The end of that Fresh Prince episode with his dad actually had some good acting from Will Smith.

So did the one where Carlton gets a gun after he and Will got held up at the ATM.

FantasticVSDoom 03-31-10 12:17 PM

No Different Strokes molestation ep no sale... Damn I miss the Very Special Episode.