Southland -- "What Makes Sammy Run?" -- 03/30/10

Old 03-30-10, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
Southland -- "What Makes Sammy Run?" -- 03/30/10

Photobucket

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Gangsters take aim at a club and kill someone with ties to a cop; Sammy confronts his wife, Tammi, about photographing gang members; and things become heated between Sal and Gil.

Next week is the Season and Possibly Series Finale for this show.

I was disappointed with last week's episode. The case itself was interesting and I liked that they had the money to bring back C. Thomas Howell, not that he's an expensive actor. However, some really sloppy writing introducing Lydia's new partner Ray Suarez. No explanation or closure to what happened with Amaury Nolasco's character.
Old 03-30-10, 07:23 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Re: Southland -- "What Makes Sammy Run?" -- 03/30/10

Ben McKenzie's blog entry on this week's episode:

http://www.tvguide.com/Celebrity-Blo...e-1016777.aspx
Southland's Ben McKenzie Previews "What Makes Sammy Run?"
Mar 30, 2010 10:42 AM ET
by Ben McKenzie

The title of this episode refers to Det. Sammy Bryant, whom we open on in full sprint, racing through the streets of LA. (I should add, it is also a sly reference to the famous novel about showbiz by Budd Schulberg.) In typical Southland fashion, we later discover "what makes Sammy run." Without spoiling the plot, suffice to say his reasons have to do with a bright young kid from the neighborhood whom Sammy is desperate to save from a life of crime.

Of course, cops often develop close ties to the communities they serve; it's only natural. For some, they grew up in the areas they patrol, although that is perhaps less true in a city as vast as Los Angeles. But even for the transplants, there is a logical bond that forms between a police officer and the community in which he works. It's his job to develop ties to the folks he is charged with protecting. The more the citizenry know and trust the LAPD officers in their neighborhood, the easier it is for the police to gather information on local criminal elements. When a crime does occur, it's easier for witnesses to step forward if they believe the cops can actually protect them from retribution (no easy task in gang-heavy neighborhoods).

LAPD reaches out to the community in a variety of ways, but the one I find most inspiring is their Explorer program. (It was featured on Season 1 of Southland, as Detectives Bryant and Moretta led a group of members through drills.) This organization aims to provide a safe, structured after-school environment for local youth interested in law enforcement. The kids, ages 14 to 20, assist officers in a variety of policing programs. Most importantly, they are given a route to success in neighborhoods where a lot of negative influences (drugs, gangs, etc.) can lead them astray.

Tens of thousands of young people have graduated from the Explorer program since its founding in 1962. Some end up becoming cops and policing the same areas where they grew up. Most do not, but they have at least been given a precious opportunity to avoid the temptations that ruin the lives of so many kids who grow up in rough neighborhoods all over the city. With that opportunity, they can go on to lead productive lives in any field they choose.

What's heartbreaking to cops is when they lose the fight over a young kid's future. At the end of "What Makes Sammy Run?" we find out the cause of Det. Bryant's mad sprint through the streets. It is a devastating scene (beautifully played by Shawn Hatosy), which perfectly illustrates John Cooper's maxim: "You can't save everyone." No matter how hard Sammy runs.
Old 03-31-10, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another fantastic episode. No love?
Old 03-31-10, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

I thought it was great.
Old 03-31-10, 10:22 PM

Haven't watched it yet -- I always play catch up with Tuesday's shows.
Old 04-01-10, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts

so i was a little confused. why did the cartel guys kill avon? did he double cross them somehow?
Old 04-01-10, 01:48 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts

Avon was skimming cash off the top..

Good episode - Liked it, Sammy's wife is a piece of work!
Old 04-02-10, 09:00 AM

Got around to watching this last night -- great episode. Touching scenes with Sammy and Little Casper. Heartbreaking at the end and very well done.
Old 04-02-10, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like this show. Great episode. I was waiting for someone to say "What's in the box" Se7en style. Oh, and I've got a sister-in-law that behaves just like Sammy's wife. We avoid her at all costs.