Lost -- "Ab Aeterno" -- 03/23/10

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lost -- "Ab Aeterno" -- 03/23/10

Old 03-30-10, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Lost -- "Ab Aeterno" -- 03/23/10

Originally Posted by andy434343
I don't think that the writers would mess up on something like forgetting that in the season finale of season 5, that is was a nice day out when we see the ship, and then 8 episodes into season 6, that it was a horrible storm when we see it arrive. It seems blatantly in our faces concerning the difference in weather. Desmond was in a horrible storm as well when he was brought to the island.
Or maybe, MAYBE, it was the 'alternative time-line' for the ship...[music buILDS]...LOST.

Last edited by van der graaf; 03-30-10 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-30-10, 03:18 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've seen a lot of examples on the island of quick rainstorms appearing out of nowhere with no explanation. The ship at the end of S5 looks exactly like the Black Rock in the painting at the auction where Widmore won the ledger. Jacob said he brought the ship to the island. I think whatever Jacob does causes disturbances in the atmosphere surrounding the island.

I think Jacob is on the side of evil. He brings people to the island. All the MiB wants to do is leave because he's stuck there.
Old 03-30-10, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

WHy the HELL does the S5 ship have to be the Black Rock?

In this episode its obvious that MIB and Jakob have not spoken in a long while, which would make no sense if they just spoke as the Black Rock was sailing in.

If we are to understand that Jakob has brought people to the island before are we not to assume that they came in boats similar to the boat in S5?
Old 03-30-10, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Deadman31
Maybe when we saw the ship in season 5, it was the first time the Black Rock had headed for the island and then this season they went back for reinforcements for their second trip. maybe?
The crew master wouldn't have freaked out if they had been to the island before.
Old 03-30-10, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
WHy the HELL does the S5 ship have to be the Black Rock?

In this episode its obvious that MIB and Jakob have not spoken in a long while, which would make no sense if they just spoke as the Black Rock was sailing in.
Because that is the entire point of the reveal at the end of that scene! If it's just "another ship" then why make a big deal about showing it? It's not like there are a ton of wrecked ships on the island.

That entire scene is staged in such a way that you don't know exactly when it takes place...then they reveal the Black Rock. That's the "holy shit" moment to cap off the season.

I don't think it's any more complicated than "they didn't have the Season 6 scene planned before writing that scene during Season 5"...retconning it is just a waste of time.
Old 03-30-10, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Damon and Carlton said in the podcast that the ship at the end of Season 5 is the Black Rock and that the storm whipped up really fast, which tends to happen on the island.

Anyone remember the helicopter scene? Same thing. Let's move on.
Old 03-30-10, 05:10 PM
ATX

^ yeah i made that point about the weather plus the sudden daytime/nightime shifts

so i agree let's move on...

---

now i have a dumb question, maybe this have been asked or it's too logical

i been rewatching my s5 bluray lately and was watching the scene where Christian is talking to Locke underground telling him what to do with the ancient donkey wheel

he first mentioned to Locke that back in the cabin that he told him that HE had to "move the island" not Ben (confirming he was the same Christian from the cabin

but anyways, my question (occured to me while watching) is *if* Christian is M-I-B, then why is it he can't just take the Donkey-Wheel-Express himself off the island if he wants to leave? I mean if it's good enought for Locke, Ben, and polar bears.. why can't he take it?
Old 03-30-10, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Because that is the entire point of the reveal at the end of that scene! If it's just "another ship" then why make a big deal about showing it? It's not like there are a ton of wrecked ships on the island.

That entire scene is staged in such a way that you don't know exactly when it takes place...then they reveal the Black Rock. That's the "holy shit" moment to cap off the season.

I don't think it's any more complicated than "they didn't have the Season 6 scene planned before writing that scene during Season 5"...retconning it is just a waste of time.
There would have to be other wrecked ships somewhere.

"They come, they fight, they corrupt, it always ends the same" - MiB

If he meant people before the Black Rock how did they get there if not on a ship?
Old 03-30-10, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
If he meant people before the Black Rock how did they get there if not on a ship?
Three words I would have never guessed I would put together:

Spoiler:
Reverse donkey wheel.
Old 03-30-10, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Why haven't they seen them? Why have they returned to the Black Rock again and again if ships abound on the island?

I have a theory...

Spoiler:

Because up until this season, this plot didn't exist.
Old 03-30-10, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Palaver
Three words I would have never guessed I would put together:

Spoiler:
Reverse donkey wheel.
Or,
Spoiler:
Transvestite donkey witch
Old 04-03-10, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 478 Posts

I watched this episode again today and just noticed that when Whitfield purchased Richard he said "this man is now the property of Captain Magnus Hanso".

Did they throw in that reference just for the hell of it or will they delve a bit more into Hanso during one of the next few episodes?
Old 04-03-10, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,875 Posts

"Magnus Hanso" was named as the Captain of the Black Rock a couple of years ago as a part of the "Lost Experience" thing. I think the name was also on the blast door map from season two.

Also, in "The Constant," Charles Widmore was at an auction to buy a Black Rock journal by one of its crew, and the book was being sold by someone else named Hanso.
Old 04-03-10, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
"Magnus Hanso" was named as the Captain of the Black Rock a couple of years ago as a part of the "Lost Experience" thing. I think the name was also on the blast door map from season two.

Also, in "The Constant," Charles Widmore was at an auction to buy a Black Rock journal by one of its crew, and the book was being sold by someone else named Hanso.
I know that. I just wonder if they mentioned him in this episode just as a random reference (a'la Paulo and Kiele Sanchez' character) to the previous mentions or if they'll be more it than that in another episode.
Old 04-03-10, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do we really need to see more of Hanso on screen in the series, though? I think the fans already have an understanding of what was going on there. I am not sure I would want to see time spent on that in the last few hours we have left of this series.
Old 04-03-10, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,875 Posts

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Do we really need to see more of Hanso on screen in the series, though? I think the fans already have an understanding of what was going on there. I am not sure I would want to see time spent on that in the last few hours we have left of this series.
Yeah, I'd much rather watch everyone sitting around on the beach and hiding in the jungle waiting for something to happen than for them to waste time tying all of the mysteries together.
Old 04-03-10, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I'd much rather watch everyone sitting around on the beach and hiding in the jungle waiting for something to happen than for them to waste time tying all of the mysteries together.
You, sir, have a 4.0 GPA in sarcasm...

nicely done!
Old 04-04-10, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tovard Hanso. I imagine the journal would simply be an item inherited, it must've been 4-5 generations old by the time Widmore got his hands on it. I guess the common theory is that journal allowed him to relocate the island somehow.
Old 04-04-10, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree. I feel like the whole Hanso plot has been significantly dealt with. I really want some time spent on the origin of Jacob and mib.
Old 04-04-10, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Obviously they aren't going to just be sitting in the jungle and hiding much longer. Clearly they are moving the island storyline forward.

The Hanso mystery has been tied together. The pieces to the puzzle are there. Just because they weren't spoon fed to you in one handy episode like the Richard episode doesn't make it any less so. I don't see what the point would be in doing an episode just about that. If they do, it would be rehashing things we already knew, unless they have more to add to the story.
Old 04-04-10, 11:48 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

people don't seem to realize they pretty much have to save all the big shit for the finale, that's why i'm not getting mad at these episodes with no mysteries being solved, i have faith they will bust a huge load of answers on us at the end
Old 04-05-10, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by redrum
people don't seem to realize they pretty much have to save all the big shit for the finale, that's why i'm not getting mad at these episodes with no mysteries being solved, i have faith they will bust a huge load of answers on us at the end

I best stock up on Kleenex® then
Old 04-05-10, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe this will be the thread cap, maybe it will inspire more people to write in it, I don't know.

I am happy with the pace at which we have been getting answers this season. I am the most entertained that I have ever been with lost this season, since I am cherishing each episode that much more since I know it is very close to the end of one of the best rides I have ever experienced on television. I LOVE how this season has had the characters visiting all of the important sites on the island, and will continue that way to the end of the show. I feel bad for anyone that does not enjoy it as much as I do. I have decided by this point that even if the finale leaves a bad taste in my mouth, I will still be purchasing the Blu Ray collection. It has been too good, for too long, to make me not consider owning the whole collection on blu ray, even if the ending is not what I hoped it could be.

I have feelings that it is going to start to get tragic soon on the show, and I feel like it will be much more emotional to witness these tragic events, since we have been with these characters for 6 years.
Old 04-05-10, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It could just be that every time a ship comes, it's the same ship, the same people just a different timeline. If this were true then basically MIB has to keep trying different techniques with the same game pieces until he figures out a way to win.
Old 04-05-10, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by andy434343
Maybe this will be the thread cap, maybe it will inspire more people to write in it, I don't know.

I am happy with the pace at which we have been getting answers this season. I am the most entertained that I have ever been with lost this season, since I am cherishing each episode that much more since I know it is very close to the end of one of the best rides I have ever experienced on television. I LOVE how this season has had the characters visiting all of the important sites on the island, and will continue that way to the end of the show. I feel bad for anyone that does not enjoy it as much as I do. I have decided by this point that even if the finale leaves a bad taste in my mouth, I will still be purchasing the Blu Ray collection. It has been too good, for too long, to make me not consider owning the whole collection on blu ray, even if the ending is not what I hoped it could be.

I have feelings that it is going to start to get tragic soon on the show, and I feel like it will be much more emotional to witness these tragic events, since we have been with these characters for 6 years.

Well I am glad that there are some fans liking this but for me... well let me put it this way. If this was not the last season I would have quit watching a long time ago. I believe that they put the cap on the seasons at 6 near the end of the 4th season (which for me was painful to watch because it was so bad). At that point I decided to stick it out until the end no matter how bad it got. There have been some good episodes but many have been very poor as well. Overall I think the audience is becoming frustrated and tired of it. The ratings have steadily decreased. I do not need things "spoon fed" to me either I just need to become invested in the characters again. That has not happened for me for some time now with all of this silly Jacob and MIB stuff. I get that series evolve over time and changes are made due to story etc... but this is so far from the series that I started watching I just want it to end and get it over with.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.