Lost -- "Ab Aeterno" -- 03/23/10

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lost -- "Ab Aeterno" -- 03/23/10

Old 03-24-10, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
Re: Lost -- "Ab Aeterno" -- 03/23/10

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
I thought it was a pretty great episode. Answered several very important questions, such as:
  • How did the Black Rock get in island center? (typhoon)
  • How did the statue break? (Black Rock destroyed it)
  • Why doesn't Richard age? (made a deal with Jacob)
  • Is Jacob or MIB lying? (MIB) NOT CLEAR AT ALL
  • Who is MIB? (Evil) Here again, not clear and not sure I agree
  • Who is Jacob? (the gatekeeper of evil) Or the devil..still think he is evil
  • What does MIB want? (to get released off the island)

Old 03-24-10, 02:00 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
I 100% agree.

I don't think so. I think the Hurley/Isabella/Richard scene was genuine. It was immediately followed by the scene with Jacob/MIB that easily corroborated everything Jacob told Richard and what Isabella told Richard at the end.

Step back from the mysteries a second and look at the writing device the writers used here. The show was about Richard's redemption, which only would come once he could forgive himself. He received that at the end, and then they used that moment of redemption to punctuate the truth that the MIB must be stopped...and then followed that with a scene between Jacob and the MIB reinforcing the point.

I don't believe the writers are trying to mislead us with this basic point this late in the final season. They used this special Richard-oriented episode to answer this question, plain and simple.
It is the PERFECT time to misdirect us on Jacob/MIB to set up a great, satisfying twist in the final episode. To this point, we have seen a lot of manipulation by Jacob, but MIB has been very blunt and straightforward for the most part. I think that they may have truly answered the question in the beginning and Jacob is the devil just as MIB said. After all, he flat out told Richard he was the black smoke.
Old 03-24-10, 02:04 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

MIB was just playing to Richard's own religious beliefs when he referred to Jacob as The Devil. You'll notice he doesn't use that same tactic with modern day recruits.
Old 03-24-10, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Going back to season 3 (I think), we got subliminal messages like this in Dharma videos:

We also had that scene where Karl (Alex's boyfriend) was being brainwashed with essentially the same messages.

"God ... loved Jacob" implies God no longer loves Jacob. Question is, is it possible for "God" to stop loving? If so, what type of creature would he cease to love?
Old 03-24-10, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
Going back to season 3 (I think), we got subliminal messages like this in Dharma videos:

We also had that scene where Karl (Alex's boyfriend) was being brainwashed with essentially the same messages.

"God ... loved Jacob" implies God no longer loves Jacob. Question is, is it possible for "God" to stop loving? If so, what type of creature would he cease to love?
...as he loved his only son.

The love is merely temporal. It's not that he stopped loving anyone, just they aren't around any more to love.
Old 03-24-10, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no way Jacob is evil, especially if don't think MIB is evil. At worst they are equally bad entities.

But if you go the Judeo-Christian angle, Jacob is clearly the good and MIB evil. The writers could just be trying to confuse us with that angle, but if not then they have laid their cards out pretty clearly at this point.
Old 03-24-10, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Even the Devil himself is not "all bad".
Old 03-24-10, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Even the Devil himself is not "all bad".
As a dirty sinner myself, I'd much rather hang out with the devil and have some fun than with God and have to behave myself.
Old 03-24-10, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Drop
There is no way Jacob is evil, especially if don't think MIB is evil. At worst they are equally bad entities.

But if you go the Judeo-Christian angle, Jacob is clearly the good and MIB evil. The writers could just be trying to confuse us with that angle, but if not then they have laid their cards out pretty clearly at this point.
That is what makes me not trust what they seem to be pointing out. If there's one thing that this series has taught me it's that you can't trust what's plainly pointed out.

As for me I just think the whole He's Good, He's evil thing is just too simplistic. That being said, I'm enjoying the show quite a bit, pretty anxious to see how things turn out in the end.
Old 03-24-10, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Drop

It's still debatable. I'm still weighing in on the side of both of them being good and evil, much like the other main characters.

If we are to take everything thrown at us here at face value, and Jacob is 100% good, i'm going to predict that Widmore is working with MiB all along.

Consider: Ben claimed he was not the leader at the time of the Purge. The purge would probably piss Jacob off if he was truely the good guy. Widmore gets booted from the island after the purge. He doesn't come back until MiB kills Jacob.

OTOH, Jacob didn't seem to know what the hell he was doing bringing the Black Rock to the island.

1.) His statue was destroyed.
2.) Looks like the people he chose to bring to the island, whomever they may be, died asap upon arrival.
3.) The only known survivor, Richard, is a guy Jacob doesn't even seem to know!
4.) The 'Others' are born, and Richard picks two leaders that are pretty ruthless in their methods, Widmore and then Ben.
5.) Eventually Locke becomes the leader via MiB's manipulation of Richard and Ben.
6.) 'John Locke' aka MiB kills Jacob.

Last edited by DthRdrX; 03-24-10 at 03:35 PM.
Old 03-24-10, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Writers will give up the finale title sometime tonight at ew.com
Old 03-24-10, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I still come back to the idea that in the flash-sideways, no matter if Jacob or MiB is truly evil, that time line is the result of MiB being released and/or the island simply not being in play. And while all the Losties are having various levels of success and misery, Jack is the only one that is being physically affected by the change (IIRC). Either him not being on that island or that island not being a part of that time line is obviously causing a pretty large problem. I think he's going to end up being the one that the island selects to protect it, whatever that ends up to mean.
Old 03-24-10, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought this was both true and interesting. Observation made by Vozzek69 on Darkufo.

Unlike the dark man, Jacob doesn't promise Richard his wife back, telling him simply "I can't do that". This seems out of place; according to Dogen, Jacob promised to restore his son's life in return for service on the island. Did Dogen really encounter Jacob, or did he unknowingly meet with the man in black? We'll probably never know, but it does seem an inconsistency. We also know that the MIB is willing to lie - especially about Jacob - to get people to follow him and do what he wants.
Old 03-24-10, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
OTOH, Jacob didn't seem to know what the hell he was doing bringing the Black Rock to the island.

1.) His statue was destroyed.
2.) Looks like the people he chose to bring to the island, whomever they may be, died asap upon arrival.
3.) The only known survivor, Richard, is a guy Jacob doesn't even seem to know!
4.) The 'Others' are born, and Richard picks two leaders that are pretty ruthless in their methods, Widmore and then Ben.
5.) Eventually Locke becomes the leader via MiB's manipulation of Richard and Ben.
6.) 'John Locke' aka MiB kills Jacob.
See, I view it opposite from you

1.) His statue was destroyed AND he didn't care, its just a statue.
2.) I think he knows Richard better than Richard knows himself, and Jacob probably knew that Richard was going to lose faith at some point, but that faith would be restored by someone on the island.
3.) It's true that some of the people on the island play there part in eventually causing Jacob to get killed through the manipulation of the MIB, BUT I think he knew this would happen, although he said that "He hoped it wouldn't happen"
4.) Even though Jacob is now dead, I feel he has already lined up all the "players" he needs, in the right place in order for the MIB to fail at escaping the island.

Last edited by andy434343; 03-24-10 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-24-10, 04:16 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

We haven't seen the MIB pose as Jacob, but when he was using Christian's form he had no problem telling people that he spoke for Jacob.
Old 03-24-10, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd21
As a dirty sinner myself, I'd much rather hang out with the devil and have some fun than with God and have to behave myself.
Then he can cornhole you with his red rod for a nightcap.
Old 03-24-10, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by s}{ammer
MIB was trapped on the island and so he could not have influenced Hurley directly. However, Jacob is the one "person" on the island that keeps calling people to the island for the purpose of proving MIB wrong. Therefore MIB could not do anything to these people if Jacob were to simply stop calling people. The action of calling people is not necessarily evil, but it certainly isn't good either. Basically these two are not evil or good, simply supernatural.

I just found this image
Spoiler:
Spoilerized due to size of image.

so I can no longer see how anyone can dismiss who these people are. MIB is the smoke monster and obviously Jacob is Set. I can't see it being any other way. Jacob=Set and MIB=Apep aka Apophis the Destroyer. Just check out this link.

http://www.touregypt.net/godsofegypt/apep.htm
Good find wikipedia also had this image of Apep (in the form of the black snake).

Interesting parallels whether intentional or not.
Old 03-24-10, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
We haven't seen the MIB pose as Jacob, but when he was using Christian's form he had no problem telling people that he spoke for Jacob.
You're assuming that the MiB was the one posing as Christian. Claire made a clear distinction between the two earlier this season. Just sayin'
Old 03-24-10, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by andy434343
See, I view it opposite from you

1.) His statue was destroyed AND he didn't care, its just a statue.
2.) I think he knows Richard better than Richard knows himself, and Jacob probably knew that Richard was going to lose faith at some point, but that faith would be restored by someone on the island.
3.) It's true that some of the people on the island play there part in eventually causing Jacob to get killed through the manipulation of the MIB, BUT I think he knew this would happen, although he said that "He hoped it wouldn't happen"
4.) Even though Jacob is now dead, I feel he has already lined up all the "players" he needs, in the right place in order for the MIB to fail at escaping the island.
1.) He seemed fairly pissed off to me, even after taking the knife from Richard.

"Look at my statue you ass! - Jacob to Richard"

2.) He didn't even know Richard's name.

3.) I agree that he realized that the MiB was dedicated to his cause, killing Jacob, and Jacob knew he needed a replacement eventually.

4.) Certainly a few hundred people died, as listed on the lighthouse wheel, before we could get to his final six candidates. Not very good percentages for a guy that knows what he is doing.
Old 03-24-10, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No idea who MiB is. Here's a smaller version of the S5 picture. He certainly could be one of a few characters from Ancient History.

The monster is shown in direct opposition to Anubis, who is said to be the protector of the dead. Obviously, this refers to the MiB scanning people and stealing bodies for his own personal uses.
Old 03-24-10, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
1.) He seemed fairly pissed off to me, even after taking the knife from Richard.

"Look at my statue you ass! - Jacob to Richard"

2.) He didn't even know Richard's name.

3.) I agree that he realized that the MiB was dedicated to his cause, killing Jacob, and Jacob knew he needed a replacement eventually.

4.) Certainly a few hundred people died, as listed on the lighthouse wheel, before we could get to his final six candidates. Not very good percentages for a guy that knows what he is doing.
That could be the first time that MIB used a person to try to kill Jacob, so maybe that's why he was pissed off.

Also if the evil leaves the island, like I said before, I feel that a lot more than a few hundred will die, maybe all humans will be killed seeing as MIB has shown his distaste in humans and thinks there is no good in them, except to be used of course.
Old 03-24-10, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by andy434343
That could be the first time that MIB used a person to try to kill Jacob, so maybe that's why he was pissed off.

Also if the evil leaves the island, like I said before, I feel that a lot more than a few hundred will die, maybe all humans will be killed seeing as MIB has shown his distaste in humans and thinks there is no good in them, except to be used of course.
Maybe, but the island (cork) is on the ocean floor in the ALT. (An upside down cork on a bottle is in fact under water!)

Things look fairly well so far in the ALT. As a matter of fact, the ALT is pretty bare of ANYTHING supernatural going on, be it ghosts, whispers, monsters, or dead people walking around.

Well, the only exceptions are where Desmond went to on 815, could have been another seat, and how Hurley got out of his hummer in the first place.
Old 03-24-10, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I hate how it was all about the science and time travel and now it's all religious.
just like the Texas education system.
Old 03-24-10, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mmconhea
just like the Texas education system.
Thomas Jefferson posts on DVD Talk?
Old 03-24-10, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
I think Jacob is evil because he killed hundreds of people wrecking them on island just to get the few survivors to play mind games with Mib
Jacob crashed the plane? I thought it was because Desmond didn't push the button.

If Jacob did it, why did the creators go to all the trouble of showing how important the button pressing was? Couldn't they have just introduced Jacob/MIB to us earlier?

And Jacob/MIB caused a tsunami to bring the Black Rock? I didn't get that at all, that they have the power to control those kinds of forces. If they are that powerful, couldn't they have caused a storm or tornado to bring the plane down? Why the theatrics with the hatch, Desmond, the numbers, etc?

Of course, the real reason is probably that Jacob/MIB didn't really exist as these characters until last season, so any "influence" they have on the show is merely a big retcon. After all, you don't have to actually SEE Jacob/MIB to see their influences, so it's pretty easy to just shoehorn them in to every major moment in LOST since the pilot.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.