Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol Top 11, March 23 / 24

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who will go home this week?
Aaron Kelly
0%
Andrew Garcia
20.00%
Casey James
0%
Crystal Bowersox
0%
Didi Benami
0%
Katie Stevens
0%
Lee Dewyze
0%
Michael Lynche
0%
Paige Miles
76.00%
Siobhan Magnus
0%
Tim Urban
4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

American Idol Top 11, March 23 / 24

Old 03-24-10, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: American Idol Top 11, March 23 / 24

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Crystal Bowersox was the best tonight, but I'm still getting the notion that she's just tolerating the show. Win or lose, she'll be one of the contestants that badmouths the show, or tries to pretend that it doesn't exist.
I wonder how much she really wanted Miley to sign her guitar.I would bet she agonized over even competing on Idol.

Speaking along those lines i just started watching Idol last season since everyone at work told me i'd really like this "rock guy" on the show(aka Adam).Does anyone else get infuriated when they do the Ford commercials with the contestants? I understand they sponsor the show and that's fine but to whore out the kids and make it look like they are in a music video is so totally wrong.
Old 03-24-10, 08:04 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Crystal Bowersox was the best tonight, but I'm still getting the notion that she's just tolerating the show. Win or lose, she'll be one of the contestants that badmouths the show, or tries to pretend that it doesn't exist.
I think she's playing the game just fine. Remember that girl a season or two ago with the gravelly voice and the bad attitude? Crystal is nothing like her.
Old 03-24-10, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
Siobhan Magnus - The production of it was ridiculous, even for the pimp spot. She goes far too low when she doesn't have to, which gives the song a weird quality to it at times. But very current rendition, but should have shown restraint for the screechy notes at the end.
I describe what Magnus does as "channeling Lambert" or "Lamberteque" or "The Return of Lamberto".

I am SO happy that Simon finally realized what I have been thinking for awhile about Garcia - they vastly overrated his audition and he's generally not very talented.
Old 03-24-10, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by magiccmom
Worst.Season.Ever.
That will always belong to Season 3 with 6 close behind.

If you guys never believed me about the every 3 season Idol curse, you should now.
Old 03-24-10, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it me or is Miley's voice getting worse?
Old 03-24-10, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think there's anyone still there that could entice me to buy their album ...... they range from bland to boring, with an occasional talentless tossed into the mix.

I'm guessing Paige will be history tonight. (Tim will get the teenie fans of Miley on his side, so he'll probably be safe and actually make it to the top 10. )
Old 03-24-10, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never really understood the popularity of Andrew Garcia. OK, his one song was cute during Hollywood week, but he really can't sing. Last night he spoke most of the lyrics to "I Heard it through the Grapevine".

Actually, the only ones I would call good singers are Crystal Bowersox, Katie Stevens, Siobhan Magnus, and possibly Michael Lynche. Though I did enjoy Casey Jame's cover of "The Power of Love" last night, nice to see a rock song performed as a rock song.
Old 03-24-10, 10:01 AM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm offended to my very core...miley cyrus as a mentor on American Idol? Is this a joke? I though last season with Quentin Tarantino and Jamie Foxx were a spit in the face to real musical talent...but this...miley cyrus...what an insult to the entire music industry.
Old 03-24-10, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by astrochimp
Does anyone else get infuriated when they do the Ford commercials with the contestants? I understand they sponsor the show and that's fine but to whore out the kids and make it look like they are in a music video is so totally wrong.

Infuriated? Totally wrong?
They've been doing them since season two. And as corny and silly as they may be.. the kids seem to enjoy doing them.
Somebody's gotta pay the bills.
Old 03-24-10, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Joseph L
I'm sorry to hear that.

I'm a wonderful Aunt!
Old 03-24-10, 10:40 AM

Paige's performance wouldn't have gotten her through auditions. It was god awful.

Tim was complete karaoke. It's like he has no idea what to do up there and is getting very bad advise from someone.

Big Mike was good, not great.

They killed Didi and I have no idea why. I hate that song and actually enjoyed her version. I could see Duffy doing that version and sounding exactly like that. I thought the song choice was bad but she made the most out of it and sounded pretty good. Or maybe she is hot and I am blinded.

Katie is way too nasally. She did okay and sounded too much like Fergie.

Casie is good but they were right by saying he sounded like an 80s cover band.

Crystal was fine. I ma a big fan but tonight's performance did nothing for me. She sounded great. Okay.

I do think people are over analyzing her and her attitude. I was surprised she had Miley sign her guitar.
Old 03-24-10, 10:44 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lee Dewyze - His vocals were decent, but I hated that arrangement for him.

Paige Miles - Seriously sounded like something they would show as a bad performance in the audition round.

Tim Urban - So corny. 'Have fun' on your own time... this is a competition!

Aaron Kelly - Decent vocals, nothing to write home about but compared to what came before a big improvement.

Crystal Bowersox - I like that she felt unpolished here... and I mean that in a good way, as in not overly rehearsed and homogenized. Not a showstopper but still fun to watch. But having Miley Cyrus sign her guitar? There goes her indie cred!

Michael Lynche - Didn't get the 'lounge' hate here from the judges. Even with his problems he was better than a majority of the others tonight.

Andrew Garcia - Ugh. Again, why go with such a cheesy arrangement? Maybe he IS relying too much on his guitar, but at least that was his thing... leaving it behind only exposes his mediocre vocals.

Katie Stevens - She sounded best doing the old-fashioned stuff a few weeks back. The judges have pushed her into more contemporary stuff but she's just not good at it. She oversang the verse and undersang the chorus... there was no build there and the song sounded boring.

Casey James - Nice take on the song, a bit of a bluesy edge to it. He needs to be more animated on stage, though.

Didi Benami - Her phrasing at the beginning did throw me off a bit, but I thought the second half of the song was strong. Judges were overly harsh on her, IMO.

Siobhan Magnus - I usually love her, but I usually *hate* Stevie Wonder songs covered on the show. This wasn't bad... but it was still my least favorite performance from her. For me, it was too straight of a cover for me - of all the songs she's done this is the one that really needed a new arrangement, and yet it's the one she plays straight. The horns just blared and drowned her out, although Idol's sound mixers are probably at fault there.
Old 03-24-10, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BackStJoe
I'm offended to my very core...miley cyrus as a mentor on American Idol? Is this a joke? I though last season with Quentin Tarantino and Jamie Foxx were a spit in the face to real musical talent...but this...miley cyrus...what an insult to the entire music industry.
To be honest, I thought she gave some good insite/instruction to the singers.

She could never say "You suck" to one of the singers, but she did say to Page that she needed to "Stay on Pitch".

What she really wanted to say was, "Pick a different song, you cannot sing this song at all".

Told the one guy to loose the Guitar.

Gave other good input to others.

I have to give Miley 2 thumbs up.
Old 03-24-10, 11:16 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Kara was REALLY PISSED about Tim Urban going into the crowd.
Old 03-24-10, 12:23 PM

Lee Dewyze - Good vocal, horrendous arrangement of a classic Box Tops song.

Paige Miles - I don't understand this girl. She has a great recording voice, check out her studio version of "Honkey Tonk Woman" if you don't believe me. But it's like, first there was that AWFUL "Smile" version that she sang, and now this God-forsaken mess...ugh. Vocally she is better than a couple of contestants though. If she can only perform as well as she can record.

Tim Urban - Come on, are you serious? How this guy even survived the top 24 remains a mystery. Simon hit it right on the head the first night when he said "I think we made the right decision" when they didn't let him make the top 24 originally.

Aaron Kelly - What are all the contestants just like constantly making out with each other or something? How is it that everyone is getting "sick?" He was good, for a 16 year old boy who was sick I suppose...but I fear we have another overly cheesy, sappy David Archuleta on our hands here.

Crystal Bowersox - Way too predictable of a song choice....not many actual lyrics...but the girl can sing, there's no doubt.

Michael Lynch - This guy has some good vocal skills, but he is SO full of himself it makes me sick..I hope they test this dude for roids and he gets kicked off the show.

Andrew Garcia - Simon once again hit it spot on..they overrated that "Straight Up" moment...Andrew Garcia has no range, and last night I bet Marvin Gaye was rolling over in his grave.

Katie Stevens - You know, I like this girl...but I wish she would have tried out in a couple of years rather than this year...of course she might have known that this will be the next to last season after the show fails when Simon's gone. I think she's cute, and talented...but it seems like she took a big shot of testosterone last night and her voice was waaay too manly for my taste....

Casey James - I normally do not like this guy, cuz he seems to just truncate words or notes...but last night I have to give the guy props, he ROCKED Huey Lewis...even if he did sound just like the original version. I loved how he said he was going to walk all over the stage and "own the stage," and then continued to just stand there like every other one of his performances...but still, I thought it was the best overall song of the night.

Didi Benami - I don't understand the song choice here, since Kaitlyn got voted off for singing a similar paced song. Especially considering that the last two people who have been sent home have at least "kind of" sounded like Didi...you know, with the whole "unique" thing going for them. Of course, when there are three people who are "unique" in the same way, they're not really all that unique, are they. HENCE the reason Lacey and Lilly have both left us. But I think Didi is hot enough and Tim and Paige were SO bad that she'll make the tour...I hope so, anyway.

Siobhan Magnus - I think she's talented...but she needs to watch it. It's getting too predictable to have a screeching note at the end...last night was NOT her best performance, that's for sure. If she was going to do a Stevie song, she should have done "Signed, Sealed, Delivered" and STARTED the song with that huge note....kind of like Simon suggested.
Old 03-24-10, 12:29 PM

Received 134 Likes on 79 Posts

The funniest thing about Miley signing the guitar was the junior high "Friends 4ever!" paragraph she wrote instead of just signing her name.
Old 03-24-10, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by lloydd
Lee Dewyze - Good vocal, horrendous arrangement of a classic Box Tops song.
That's because it's the Joe Cocker version. You should have known that.
Old 03-24-10, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
That's because it's the Joe Cocker version. You should have known that.
True, I should have known that. You've bested me.
Old 03-24-10, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I finally figured out who Andrew Garcia reminded me of... Sundance Head. Sundance had his moment during the audition and kept chasing it but failed miserably every time. He made it to the Top 14 that year and was voted off.

Do a youtube search for Sundance Head Audition or Stormy Monday, you'll see what I mean. The only thing that Andrew Garcia has going in his favor is that the field is extremely week this year so he'll most likely make it to the Top 10, thus go on tour.
Old 03-24-10, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by William Fuld
The funniest thing about Miley signing the guitar was the junior high "Friends 4ever!" paragraph she wrote instead of just signing her name.
Thought the same thing. Right in the middle too.
Old 03-24-10, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
Tim was complete karaoke. It's like he has no idea what to do up there and is getting very bad advise from someone.
Tim knows he has no shot at winning but he also knows that Tween girls would be tuning to see OMG!! Miley Cyrus/ Hannah Montana. He did his best High School Musical/Teen Idol act to get the girls texting for him. I thought that was smart to play to his voting block (and VFTW).

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
That will always belong to Season 3 with 6 close behind.

If you guys never believed me about the every 3 season Idol curse, you should now.

Season 3 at least gave us Jennifer Hudson who should be won but was cast aside so they could pimp Fantasia. It also gave us the introduction of the Huff (making one person chose sides during final 7). I loved it when they made Lambert chose last season.
Season 6 gave us Sanjaya who at least was entertaining.

This season has been boring and a chore to watch.

Last edited by chowderhead; 03-24-10 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-24-10, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by William Fuld
I'm sure Crystal will be buffing that section out when shes finished AI
Old 03-24-10, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
Kara was REALLY PISSED about Tim Urban going into the crowd.
Kara's a ****, and I say that as another woman who normally doesn't think that way. If Casey James had done it, she'd still be riding him in the reverse cowgirl position, the oversexed troll.

Tim is just looking to survive and he knows that his bread is buttered with appealing to the tweener crowd. If that performance lands him a role in High School Musical XVII, he'll be happy. He knows he has ZERO chance of winning Idol, so go for the gusto. It won't matter either way.

Andrew Garcia is the long-lost child of Sundance Head and Danny Gokey. But at least Danny could sing and Sundance didn't make me cringe all the time. Andrew is just awful. I'd get rid of him before Paige, who I think has a decent song in her if she just let go of the ballads. But she was so bad last night, too, so no use of defending her.

Crystal, Mike, Siobhan, and Casey are the only ones worth following. Lee is OK at times. Didi is too spotty, Aaron is too young, and Katie is such a Blair Waldorf wannabe.
Old 03-24-10, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No surprise.
Old 03-24-10, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought it was funny when Ryan asked her who she was going to listen to, Simon or Kara, and she said, "ME!" He should've backhanded her right across the mouth. Uppity bitch.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.