Caprica -- "Ghosts in the Machine" -- 03/19/10

Old 03-20-10, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Caprica -- "Ghosts in the Machine" -- 03/19/10

Caprica

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Daniel wages psychological warfare to flush out Zoe when he suspects her avatar is hiding in the Cylon; Joseph is guided to a nightclub in New Cap City that may lead him to Tamara; Vergis tries to drive a wedge between Amanda and Daniel. Emmanuelle: Leah Gibson.

One of the few scripted shows on Friday that people in this forum care for.

Yes, I'm back from 2 weeks abroad. Got a shitload of Tivo and Hulu to catch up on. I'm a few weeks behind on this show.
Old 03-20-10, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Caprica -- "Ghosts in the Machine" -- 03/19/10

Great ep last night.

Daniel trying to flush out Zoe was fantastic. The final test had me shivering, but I loved Zoe's confession to Lacey that the robot side of her knew the weight of the gun was different. Awesome stuff.

Joseph searching for Tamara was actually cool this time around. When he asked Sam what it was like to kill a man, I loved Sam's reaction: How it was like a game.

Poor Amanda, first needing to deal with her dead brother and now Vergis has her thinking twice about her husband. Neat.

Clarice's part still doesn't sit well with me, but I think it'll be okay.

Can't wait for the season finale next week.

Oh, and one more thing remains true in Hollywood...

Spoiler:
You still can't kill a dog.
Old 03-20-10, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Last night's show really sucked us in. There was some real tension with Daniel trying to elicit a reaction from Zoe. Her dad is a real SOB.

Really like the ongoing story of Adama looking for his daughter.
Old 03-20-10, 04:21 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I really thought they killed the dog... my jaw dropped.
Old 03-20-10, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah, the bit with the dog was awesome.

I'm enjoying Caprica a lot more than I thought I would. Nice to know that SyFy is standing by the show.
Old 03-20-10, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The scenes between Daniel and Zoe were just terrifying. Between the fire and the dog I was sitting there thinking WTF.
Old 03-20-10, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He could just order the robot to self-terminate. It obviously doesn't have self-preservation overrides since it ripped its own arm off. Or hell even if it does he could program them out. I would have not cared a damn thing about this show ever again if Zoe was the type of person to shoot her dog because of her daddy issues.
Old 03-21-10, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They were thinking of kvrdave when they wrote this episode.

Good episode. Daniel is really the mad scientist. I almost fell out of my chair laughing when he pulled out the gas can.
Old 03-21-10, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As soon as I realized there were blanks in the gun, I figured the Zoe/Cylon would be able to determine that by the weight.

Still, it made for some good tension and an entertaining episode.

I didn't realize there is only one more episode this season. Bummer!
Old 03-21-10, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
I didn't realize there is only one more episode this season. Bummer!
It's a split season. The remaining 9 episodes will probably air later this year (probably Summer)
Old 03-21-10, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I scanned through all The Amanda stuff, except her talk with Vergiss, so this was my favorite episode of the season so far.

The stuff with Daniel and Joseph was really well done. I'm glad they're continuing this, even if it means more Amanda and Clarise. Maybe they'll make out at some point. That might help.
Old 03-21-10, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hate the ongoing story of Joseph looking for his daughter. Even if he finds her, he can't bring her back to the real world because she's dead in the real world. Hate the V world. It's just boring to me because it's not the "real" story; it's a fake world (a game). I don't understand why the writers made so many characters on this show smokers. Haven't the dangers of smoking been discovered in the colonies yet? I could understand one or two characters not caring about the health risks just like some people here on Earth don't care, but there's more than just one or two on this show. The writers did not convince me it was absolutely imperative that Zoe keep her identity a secret from her father, so I don't understand the lengths they have her going to in order to keep him from knowing she's inside the robot. She's mad at her daddy? Puh-leaze. I was hoping Vergis would harm Amanda and Zoe would hear her screams and then save her mother. That would have drawn Zoe out and ended this unnecessary storyline about keeping her identity a secret.
Old 03-21-10, 12:31 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe View Post
Hate the ongoing story of Joseph looking for his daughter. Even if he finds her, he can't bring her back to the real world because she's dead in the real world. Hate the V world. It's just boring to me because it's not the "real" story; it's a fake world (a game). I don't understand why the writers made so many characters on this show smokers. Haven't the dangers of smoking been discovered in the colonies yet? I could understand one or two characters not caring about the health risks just like some people here on Earth don't care, but there's more than just one or two on this show. The writers did not convince me it was absolutely imperative that Zoe keep her identity a secret from her father, so I don't understand the lengths they have her going to in order to keep him from knowing she's inside the robot. She's mad at her daddy? Puh-leaze. I was hoping Vergis would harm Amanda and Zoe would hear her screams and then save her mother. That would have drawn Zoe out and ended this unnecessary storyline about keeping her identity a secret.

Look at the way they dress, and the cars... obviously the technology overall is quite advanced, but it's obvious that Caprica is influenced by many things from our own 1950's. Thus, the smoking.

They smoked a bit in BSG too, if I recall.

I'm willing to give v-world a bit of a chance... if Zoe's avatar can live outside of the v-world, then Tamara's could too, eventually, with Greystone's help, of course.
Old 03-21-10, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74 View Post
Great ep last night.

Daniel trying to flush out Zoe was fantastic. The final test had me shivering, but I loved Zoe's confession to Lacey that the robot side of her knew the weight of the gun was different. Awesome stuff.

Joseph searching for Tamara was actually cool this time around. When he asked Sam what it was like to kill a man, I loved Sam's reaction: How it was like a game.

Testing Zoe was great.

I still don't care for the V-world story though. Way too ridiculous.
Old 03-21-10, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY

the problem with the weight thing is that it assumes a full magazine
Old 03-22-10, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by mikehunt View Post
the problem with the weight thing is that it assumes a full magazine
Maybe the robot can also determine the moment of inertia.
Old 03-22-10, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They showed us the robot putting the gun together. It should know (like up to eight decimal places) how much blanks and live rounds weigh. But it would only get tricky if Daniel had put both live and blanks in the mag.
Old 03-22-10, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
They showed us the robot putting the gun together. It should know (like up to eight decimal places) how much blanks and live rounds weigh. But it would only get tricky if Daniel had put both live and blanks in the mag.
It was a completely different gun.

Regardless, I assumed the cylon would have access to a database with all the info it needed to determine any masses required to assess the gun and ammo.
Old 03-22-10, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I really liked this episode except for the scenes with Amanda. I don't care for the dead brother subplot and I don't buy that she wouldn't tell her husband that Vergis was at their house given she knows he's Daniel's business rival. I would have bought it had he "accidentally" bumped into her on the street.