Lost -- "Recon" -- 3/16/10

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lost -- "Recon" -- 3/16/10

Old 03-17-10, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Lost -- "Recon" -- 3/16/10

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Enjoy what ride? The season has been tedium. I'm not even clamoring for answers. I would just like something interesting to happen. Just because you ramp up the music, doesn't make something exciting.

"We're not taking, plane, we're taking the sub." DUNNNNNN..... LOST.

I'm sorry is that supposed to mean something to me? What the fuck do I care which vehicle they take? Why on earth is that even a cliffhanger? I have tolerated this season so far, but this episode was just dull.

I have resolved myself to the fact that they are not going to wow me with any finale. I'm trying to just enjoy these episodes as they are, but that doesn't help any. I'm watching and watching, wondering if anything is going to actually happen before the credits roll. Then the episode ends, and I sit there wondering what the point was.

At least in the first seasons you had a sense of mystery. You learned about these characters, and wondered why these people were chosen. What is this mysterious Dharma corporation? What experiments did they perform? What happened to them?

The characters were interesting. I wanted to learn about them. What are their backgrounds? How did they get on the island? How are they related to each other? Now, I don't care. There's nothing more to learn about them, so now we're learning stuff that may or may not be an alternate reality? I don't fucking CARE. It's not exciting. It's not intriguing.

Maybe after the show is over everything will be wrapped up, and I'll understand why they did what they did. Maybe then I can watch these episodes with new appreciation for what they were doing. But right now it does not work. Sorry to sound like a downer, but as I sit here week after week it becomes more and more apparent that this story couldn't have been the original vision. This is obviously two different stories shoehorned into one show. It feels like a writing exercise.

Throw a bunch of mysterious objects onto an island: pirate ship, check. strange statue, check. temple, check. weird monster, check. strange people running around, check. polar bear, check.

OK writers, GO. Make something out of it. That's what Lost feels like to me now.
i agree with you 100%.
Old 03-17-10, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was entertained by the episode, and I seem to be in the minority that actually cared about the flash-whatever... But that ending (mainly that final line) was really lousy.
Old 03-17-10, 04:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Since next week is a Richard episode, is it too much to ask for the background story on why he often jumps out of bushes to warn people?

Oh and I am sure Sawyer isnt gonna drive the sub himself. He will probably hold whoever is driving it at gun point and force them to leave. I dont think Sawyer knows anything about subs.
Old 03-17-10, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
So it's easier to navigate a sub then fly a plane?
It's easier to drive a working sub than fly a broken plane. The sub can even operate as a surface ship if they are afraid to dive.
Old 03-17-10, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

spainlinx0 you said it better than I could. Exactly.
Old 03-17-10, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 371 Likes on 300 Posts

At least in the first seasons you had a sense of mystery. You learned about these characters, and wondered why these people were chosen. What is this mysterious Dharma corporation? What experiments did they perform? What happened to them?

The characters were interesting. I wanted to learn about them. What are their backgrounds? How did they get on the island? How are they related to each other? Now, I don't care. There's nothing more to learn about them, so now we're learning stuff that may or may not be an alternate reality? I don't fucking CARE. It's not exciting. It's not intriguing.

Maybe after the show is over everything will be wrapped up, and I'll understand why they did what they did. Maybe then I can watch these episodes with new appreciation for what they were doing. But right now it does not work. Sorry to sound like a downer, but as I sit here week after week it becomes more and more apparent that this story couldn't have been the original vision. This is obviously two different stories shoehorned into one show. It feels like a writing exercise.
It's like you've read my mind. I used to dig in and was excited for Lost from the minute it ended until the next week's episode. Now I find myself thinking "ok, wtf kind of useless bs are they going to feed us tonight?". With only 10 episodes left I thought we'd learn about Hanso or Ben or the Islands back story... but no, we get MORE new background characters and two lines from Widmore (who is a cool character that needs to be fleshed out sooner rather than later).
Old 03-17-10, 07:29 AM
Banned

Here's why I'm not complaining and why I don't have a problem with this final season. This sixth season is paralleling the first season in form and content. In S1, we were introduced to the survivors on the island and then through their various character flash backs. In S6, we conclude the island story while being introduced to new versions of our characters not involved in the crash and how they still interact with one another. Having some type of flashback, flash-forward or flash-sideways is a staple of the show and S6 would not have worked without it. I'm glad they worked it in.
Old 03-17-10, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly
The story is starting to move along nicely...
You appear to be posting in the thread for another show.
Old 03-17-10, 07:35 AM

This show has become a major drag... seems I'm not the only one that feels this way
Old 03-17-10, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by the big train
I wish Sawyer would just die or leave the island already. The character is such a buzzkill and it seems obvious to me that this story with him catching Kate will take up at least one more episode.
Wow. I couldn't disagree more. As I postulated a few weeks ago, Sawyer is the only character worth caring for anymore and this episode solidified that position. Maybe it's because his position/attitude mirror's my own at this point. "Who gives a fuck about all these people fighting over this island, just get me the fuck out of here."

Well said. It's like I said a few weeks ago, there are no characters left to care about. Half of them are zombies and the other half are self-centered(Jack), lame(Kate), boring/underutilized (Jin & Sun), a villain(Ben) or just there for comic relief(Hurley). That leaves Sawyer as the only interesting character left from the previous 5 years. That's why I enjoyed the Sawyer flash-sideways. It was interesting to see that he chose the righteous path and yet is still tormented by his parents' pseudo-killer.

So Widmore wants the island. *yawn* Smokie wants off... zzzzz... who fucking cares. These aren't characters that have been the center of the show for 5 years. These new characters have no motive that we're aware of. That would help for starters. Why does Widmore want the island so bad? Why does Smokie want off? Maybe then we could care about what goes on and who to actually root for. They're trying to straddle this line of "who should we side with" and failing miserably because there is no clear protagonist on the show anymore. It's a mess.
Old 03-17-10, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's a great show with great stories... but in the context that it's S6 with only 10 more hours to explain this huge mystery, it's become a major letdown. Like others have mentioned, maybe there will be some giant reveal in the finale and all my faith will be restored. At that point I'll eat crow because I've seen too many series finales fail with respect to the average fanbase expectations... I simply don't see how Lost can live up to the hype it's created and perpetuated.
Old 03-17-10, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
It's a great show with great stories... but in the context that it's S6 with only 10 more hours to explain this huge mystery, it's become a major letdown. Like others have mentioned, maybe there will be some giant reveal in the finale and all my faith will be restored. At that point I'll eat crow because I've seen too many series finales fail with respect to the average fanbase expectations... I simply don't see how Lost can live up to the hype it's created and perpetuated.
My fear is that they are simply going to write off several of the unanswer questions as being left to the viewer's own interpretation. We'll find out about the Jacob/Locke struggle, but the rest will be thrown to the side.

For example, they seem to have closed the book on Dharma, and that feels completely unresolved to me. Like, who the hell was doing the food drops in season 1?
Old 03-17-10, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Thats why it's boring. It's like an answer to a question nobody asked.

In any event, the only thing of interest in this weeks alt. story was that James was once again chasing Anthony Cooper. Here's why it;s interesting to me.

1.) In the original timeline James didn't know Cooper was his real name. In the alt, he does.
2.) If it is the same man, probable, Cooper conned James parents but it appears he remained on good terms with Locke.
I thought he found out when he shot the wrong guy...in this timeline he found the Austrialian guy and TALKED the name out of him
Old 03-17-10, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts

I'm enjoying the alternate reality stories this season far more than the stuff on the island since I am completely lost on what is going on there. I almost think that's why they named the show 'Lost.'
Old 03-17-10, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Rob V
we get MORE new background characters and two lines from Widmore (who is a cool character that needs to be fleshed out sooner rather than later).
Calling it now: Widmore is the white smoke monster, trying to keep unLocke on the island to save humanity from it's wrath.
Old 03-17-10, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dvdaddict32
My fear is that they are simply going to write off several of the unanswer questions as being left to the viewer's own interpretation. We'll find out about the Jacob/Locke struggle, but the rest will be thrown to the side.

For example, they seem to have closed the book on Dharma, and that feels completely unresolved to me. Like, who the hell was doing the food drops in season 1?

No doubt. They'd almost need to stop what they're doing story-wise and have the producers do a tell-all on the questions and answers just to get them all covered in the next 10 hours. This show has gone from a huge mystery to what appears to be a battle between MiB and Jacob... who we never really learned about until last season.
Old 03-17-10, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by redrum
great another question added

who's in the locked room
waaaaaallllllllt!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-17-10, 09:33 AM

At first I thought this season's flashes were the happy ending that will result after however the island events play out. Now I am beginning to think they are pulling another Nina and Paulo on us. It's like they are intentionally making these flashes so hackneyed and uninteresting that kiboshing it all in the finale will be the big series send-off. I feel it really cheapens the whole series that this contrivance was seemingly tacked on here at the end just to add something else to resolve, like resolving everything from the first 5 seasons wasn't enough.
Old 03-17-10, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Lost -- "Rewhine" -- 3/16/10
Old 03-17-10, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by clappj
Lost -- "Rewhine" -- 3/16/10
More like Retcon.
Old 03-17-10, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I liked the episode. I'm starting to believe more in Calhoun's theory.

So it seems the "flash sideways" are what happens if Jacob never touched the Losties. So Sawyer still lost his parents, but Jacob didn't give him a pen to write his letter. Kate still was caught robbing the store when she was a child, but Jacob didn't save her, etc.

I even noticed when they were going from a sideways to the island that they used the sound of flashback, like the island was the flashback. Did anyone else heard that sound?

Also, Widmore is with Smokie. He was working with Smokie and that's why he was expelled from the island, Jacob ordered that. So they are just testing Sawyer. I don't think Widmore is dumb enough to believe in Sawyer, that he'll bring Smokie so they can kill him. Or that Smokie can be conned by Sawyer. Hence, Widmore is with Smokie.

Oh and I think no one has commented this, but that lady looked like Tina Fey.
Old 03-17-10, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdaddict32
They are absolutely doing that - the producers have been backpedaling like crazy in the media, with comments that basically say "No one likes the explanation for the Force from Star Wars, so we're not going to explain anything to avoid that problem." I read an interesting article the other day that pointed out Lucas DID "explain" the Force in the original trilogy...the prequels just overly-complicated the decent explanation that had already been given.

I'll get back to what I thought when this season started: the writers and creators are making it up as they go along. They have dropped major plots (Walt, Dharma) and introduced characters at the last second we don't care about. The whole "battle between Jacob and the MIB" wasn't even mentioned until last season and there hasn't been any indication before this season that the smoke monster was anything but a "defense system" - now it's a thinking and calculating manipulator? And we're just supposed to accept that?

*sigh* Talking about this makes my brain hurt.
Old 03-17-10, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"We're not taking, plane, we're taking the sub." DUNNNNNN..... LOST.
I think this demonstrates he is planning on conning Fake Lock.
Old 03-17-10, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by the big train
When he said that, I was thinking: "great plan, dumbass."
He doesn't know Lapidus is around, does he? In that case, taking the plane isn't even an option.

And even with Lapidus, I think the sub is the better option. The default failure mode for a plane is to either go boom or crash. Subs can sink, but as long as they're on the surface they'd have a chance to abandon ship.
Old 03-17-10, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Why don't they just take the damn plane!
I mean, it looks like they have a least 20-30 feet of sand between the plane and the ocean.
That should be plenty of room to get up enough speed for takeoff right?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.