TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lost -- "Recon" -- 3/16/10

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-10, 05:14 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Lost -- "Recon" -- 3/16/10

Originally Posted by DarkestPhoenix
Let's just say that off-screen, we didn't see Jennifer wake up and get raped prior to Marty going back to 1955. Would she retain those memories? No? Why not, she's a traveler, right? So there's no reason she wouldn't retain those memories just like Marty retained his in 1955 when Doc changed 1885 without him and the universe rippled all around Marty. The whole thing didn't make much sense.
Doc expected her to sleep the entire time so, yes, if she awakened and experienced something during alt85 she would've retained those memories.
Old 03-23-10, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the best lost thread ever. So much randomness to talk about.
Old 03-23-10, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by andy434343
If you truly believe that, than you put way too much thought into our overall significance in the universe. Do animal choices count as well? My dog just walked into the room, and then decided to stay.......did that create another universe in his action? He just choose to wag his tail.....there's another fucking universe he created.

I have seen theories like you speak of before on science shows, and can't help to question how someone could think that ANYTHING that we do will have any effect on the universe at all. We are WAY too small to have such a grand effect on creating an ENTIRE UNIVERSE based on every decision we make.
You're thinking about this all wrong -- that we are somehow creating universes on a whim using some sort of superpower. The many-worlds interpretation is a very possible, if as yet unprovable, consequence of the weird and wonderful world of quantum mechanics. Truly bizarre and unintuitive things happen in this sub-atomic zoo. One of the weirdest and wonderfullest is the Double-Slit Experiment:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-slit_experiment

How are we to interpret this?

Basically there are two ways (or interpretations) to explain the unintuitive behaviour of QM: 1. The "Copenhagen" interpretation which basically says that QM is merely a mathematical tool and should NOT be used to interpret reality. 2. The "Many-Worlds" interpretation we're discussing which was formulated by a very brilliant physicist by the name of Hugh Everett.

The Copenhagen interpretation espouses a so-called probability "wave function" which "collapses" when a measurement is made to determine which of several possible events occur. The Many-Worlds interpretation says that all events that can occur, do occur, thus causing a splitting of universes. If you accept Many-Worlds, you accept that universe splitting is built into the very fabric of reality. It has nothing to do with you as an individual. (Although some people -- Dr. Roger Penrose -- believe that consciousness if very closely tied to QM. But that's for another day.)

Much more info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-worlds_interpretation
Old 03-23-10, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if this plot point has been discussed yet, but I thought it was interesting that the MiB is planning on using the plane to escape. This makes me think that he is the one that wanted the runway to be built on the Hydra island. Since it was Ben's crew that built that runway, this would fit with a theory that I posted a while back that Ben had been getting his orders from the MiB for a while now, possibly thinking he was Jacob.
Old 03-23-10, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Flave
Truly bizarre and unintuitive things happen in this sub-atomic zoo. One of the weirdest and wonderfullest is the Double-Slit Experiment:
In Search of Schrödinger's Cat by John Gribbin might be easier to understand than the Wikipedia articles.
Old 03-23-10, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You're thinking about this all wrong -- that we are somehow creating universes on a whim using some sort of superpower. The many-worlds interpretation is a very possible, if as yet unprovable, consequence of the weird and wonderful world of quantum mechanics. Truly bizarre and unintuitive things happen in this sub-atomic zoo. One of the weirdest and wonderfullest is the Double-Slit Experiment:
So by this theory you are saying that the many worlds already exist and all options occur? That is more plausible in my mind, than what Groucho was saying to me regarding my choices that I make with my coffee, which could result in me banging a super model based on whether I choose cream or sugar.....Maybe I choose both because I don't care for black sweet coffee or creamy non sweet coffee. And I don't think that based on my decision about coffee yesterday, I will magically become filthy rich or famous enough to impress a supermodel. If the many worlds are already here, our choices have no impact on creating them, we are just in the world that has the decisions that we actually choose. Which is almost certainly the only world that exists with us in it.
Old 03-23-10, 11:11 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Flave and I are saying the same thing. You're getting too caught up in the details. I'm sure you recognize that sometimes inconsequential decisions have a "ripple effect" to more consequential outcomes. For example, ever witness a traffic accident and think "Whoa, if I left home just 30 seconds earlier I'd be in that accident!" Guess what, in another universe an alternate Andy is in hospital with a broken leg chatting up a hot nurse!
Old 03-23-10, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Flave and I are saying the same thing. You're getting too caught up in the details. I'm sure you recognize that sometimes inconsequential decisions have a "ripple effect" to more consequential outcomes. For example, ever witness a traffic accident and think "Whoa, if I left home just 30 seconds earlier I'd be in that accident!" Guess what, in another universe an alternate Andy is in hospital with a broken leg chatting up a hot nurse!
sweet......sponge bath galore, hopefully from her and not a male nurse. And I am only basing what I said on what you said to me......you talked about the details of the choices, I just exploited what you said.

Last edited by andy434343; 03-23-10 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-23-10, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So by this theory you are saying that the many worlds already exist and all options occur?
Semantics but basically, yes.

That's why I like that paper that I referenced. It makes the distinction that the present/past is deterministic whereas the future is probabilistic and governed by free will.

The nice thing about this approach is that it leaves room for free will to operate in a deterministic universe. Universes encompassing all possible events exist but the ones that don't conform to the present reality are pared away, become unreachable, and essentially cease to exist as far as we're concerned.
Old 03-23-10, 02:13 PM

So by this theory you are saying that the many worlds already exist and all options occur?
Of course, every few years, the multiverse experiences a crisis and we all get retconned into one reality.
Old 03-23-10, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Semantics but basically, yes.

That's why I like that paper that I referenced. It makes the distinction that the present/past is deterministic whereas the future is probabilistic and governed by free will.

The nice thing about this approach is that it leaves room for free will to operate in a deterministic universe. Universes encompassing all possible events exist but the ones that don't conform to the present reality are pared away, become unreachable, and essentially cease to exist as far as we're concerned.
I can accept this as a possibility seeing as ANYTHING is really possible, but like I said, this explanation is not what Groucho spoke of towards me,
Here is what he said:
Remember this morning when you were deciding between cream or sugar in your coffee? Guess what, what you created a new universe when you made that decision. In another universe, the Andy that choose sugar this morning is banging a super model.
He spoke of me creating a new universe each time, based on the choices I make, not the alternate universe already being there. So based on what Groucho said to me in which I replied to, you and him are not on the same page. Maybe he typed something that he didn't properly word, I am not sure until he replies to this. I am pretty pumped for lost tonight, I have been waiting years for it.....at least in this universe.
Old 03-23-10, 02:48 PM

Are we talking ST:TNG Parallels territory now?
Old 03-23-10, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by raKim
Are we talking ST:TNG Parallels territory now?
If you want it to be, I am all ears. Although I have only really watched the new JJ Abrams version, which I loved. I never really watched any other star trek unfortunately......I know, The Wrath of Kain is awesome, I just don't know if I will ever get around to watching it.

Last edited by andy434343; 03-23-10 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-23-10, 03:17 PM

well basically it states that every action you take no matter how small branches off into a separate timeline, if there is A or B both happen and from there A and B split off again and so on...the show deals with floating pockets of time anomalys (as star trek tends to do a lot) causing a character to "travel" between these branches randomly...the show ends with all of the different possiblities coming to exist in "present" time making for multiple Enterprises (as shown in the picture on the Wiki page)

Now I don't think Lost is doing that, but I do think there are at least 2 or 3 versions of a timeline we know...the only thing that would confuse that is the fact that we are seeing the timeline unfold so until it is done it is pretty hard to say whether all of this is is indeed one timeline or 2+

It has been stated by the creators that the NC timeline is not alternate persay...so that could mean that it's either then end or the beginning as stated before...and again based on how you interpret what you are seeing, that makes it all one timeline or 2+

wow
Old 03-24-10, 02:14 AM

So by this theory you are saying that the many worlds already exist and all options occur? That is more plausible in my mind, than what Groucho was saying to me regarding my choices that I make with my coffee, which could result in me banging a super model based on whether I choose cream or sugar.....Maybe I choose both because I don't care for black sweet coffee or creamy non sweet coffee. And I don't think that based on my decision about coffee yesterday, I will magically become filthy rich or famous enough to impress a supermodel. If the many worlds are already here, our choices have no impact on creating them, we are just in the world that has the decisions that we actually choose. Which is almost certainly the only world that exists with us in it.
If it's any consolation, there is a world where you choose cream and bang a super model. You choose sugar and bang her. You choose both and bang her. You choose neither and bang her.

True, the world which has the decisions we actually chose is where we are and is (almost) certainly the only world that exists with us in it. Except for those worlds that do not.

Last edited by DarkestPhoenix; 03-24-10 at 10:07 AM.
Old 03-24-10, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If it's any consolation, there is a world where you choose cream and bang a super model. You choose sugar and bang her. You choose both and bang her. You choose neither and bang her.
And then there's my actual world where regardless of my choice of coffee, I am not banging a super model, which is the only scenario that makes sense and probably is the only one that exists, but it is nice to think that the others are possible......
Old 03-24-10, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by raKim
well basically it states that every action you take no matter how small branches off into a separate timeline
Why are some people focusing on conscious actions? The multiverse theories have more to do with quantum waveform collapse. A single particle doing one thing or another (or both simultaneously) creates multiple timelines; actions are ridiculously macroscopic in comparison.
Old 03-24-10, 10:15 AM

True, but people can see a difference in realities based on choice whereas they cannot see a difference where only one particle is concerned.
Old 03-24-10, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by mnementh
Why are some people focusing on conscious actions? The multiverse theories have more to do with quantum waveform collapse. A single particle doing one thing or another (or both simultaneously) creates multiple timelines; actions are ridiculously macroscopic in comparison.
Because that's pretty boring in terms of fiction and storytelling.

I could go back in time and be very careful only to observe and not touch anything. But my mere presence would create a new timeline. Even if I went forward in time and everything seemed exactly the same I would actually be in a new universe.
Old 03-24-10, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I could go back in time and be very careful only to observe and not touch anything. But my mere presence would create a new time line. Even if I went forward in time and everything seemed exactly the same I would actually be in a new universe.
Maybe time doesn't exist......maybe man just created it, to make things easier for ourselves.
Old 03-24-10, 12:16 PM

I could go back in time and be very careful only to observe and not touch anything. But my mere presence would create a new timeline. Even if I went forward in time and everything seemed exactly the same I would actually be in a new universe.
Of course, by watching Lost, we act as observers and will cause the storyline to collapse. ;-)

I don't understand the point about being very careful. There's no such thing as only observing and not touching anything (unless you're getting a lap dance). Having a presence back in time isn't slight. You alter the system by being back there. Even on a non-quantum level, every molecule of air you displace or every photon that hits you causes a butterfly effect.
Old 03-24-10, 12:17 PM

Maybe time doesn't exist......maybe man just created it, to make things easier for ourselves.
Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so.
Old 03-24-10, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by mnementh
I don't understand the point about being very careful. There's no such thing as only observing and not touching anything (unless you're getting a lap dance). Having a presence back in time isn't slight. You alter the system by being back there. Even on a non-quantum level, every molecule of air you displace or every photon that hits you causes a butterfly effect.
I think we're making the same point. No matter what you're creating a new universe, but depending on what you do it may or may not be noticeably different from the universe you left.

The new universe created by Marty in BTTF was pretty close to the one he left. His parents were cool, Biff was downtrodden, and the name of the mall had changed -- but that was about it. However, the new universe created by Biff in BTTF2 was significant and affected everybody in Hill Valley.
Old 03-25-10, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think we're making the same point. No matter what you're creating a new universe, but depending on what you do it may or may not be noticeably different from the universe you left.

The new universe created by Marty in BTTF was pretty close to the one he left. His parents were cool, Biff was downtrodden, and the name of the mall had changed -- but that was about it. However, the new universe created by Biff in BTTF2 was significant and affected everybody in Hill Valley.
I want to keep this thread going so I am going to argue with what you said Groucho. I think what he was talking about was what could happen in a real scenario if possible, and you are referencing what happens in a 1985 movie. I just realized you were in a agreement with him....oh well.
Old 03-25-10, 08:22 AM

No, no, no. Alternate realities still obey the rules of nature. No supermodels for andy434343.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.