Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol Top 12, March 16 & 17

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who will be going home this week?
Aaron Kelly
3.57%
Andrew Garcia
21.43%
Casey James
0%
Crystal Bowersox
0%
Didi Benami
3.57%
Katie Stevens
21.43%
Lacey Brown
7.14%
Lee Dewyze
0%
Michael Lynche
0%
Paige Miles
25.00%
Siobhan Magnus
0%
Tim Urban
17.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-16-10, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This will be a two hour show on Tuesday followed by a one hour show on Wednesday. Ke$ha will sing "Blah blah blah" on Wednesday's result show, and Orianthi and/or David Cook will also perform.

This week will be on a new stage and the singers will be performing songs from the Rolling Stones.

And here's an interesting video, it's of Siobhan Magnus in a high school musical of "Pirates of Penzance".

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xR1lI3uCnOc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xR1lI3uCnOc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

As far as the poll goes, normally I would have already voted for Paige Miles but I keep hearing the judges saying how great her voice is. I'll give her a chance, maybe she will have a breakout performance this week.

Last edited by Heat; 03-16-10 at 03:22 AM.
Old 03-16-10, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: American Idol Top 12, March 16 & 17

That Ke$ha girl is just awful!
Old 03-16-10, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's hoping that at least a couple of these kids have heard of the Stones and go a bit deeper than the radio ballads. Where's that quirky blond chick when you need her?

It would be awesome if that Aaron Kelly kid would pick 'Star, Star'.
Old 03-16-10, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Since Alex is gone, I guess Didi is now the obvious choice to sing "19th Nervous Breakdown."
Old 03-16-10, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Siobhan Magnus is said to be singing
Spoiler:
Paint It Black
No other song choices are known at this time.

Oh, and Paige Miles had a throat infection on Monday.
Old 03-16-10, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Heat View Post
Siobhan Magnus is said to be singing
Spoiler:
Paint It Black
No other song choices are known at this time.

Oh, and Paige Miles had a throat infection on Monday.
Oh, Siobhan would sound great singing that song.
Old 03-16-10, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Eddie W View Post
Here's hoping that at least a couple of these kids have heard of the Stones and go a bit deeper than the radio ballads. Where's that quirky blond chick when you need her?

It would be awesome if that Aaron Kelly kid would pick 'Star, Star'.

This will not end well.
Old 03-16-10, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

50 bucks says Didi does Wild Horses.
Old 03-16-10, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just hope someone does a bad karaoke version of Satisfaction. That will be awesome!!!
Old 03-16-10, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by astrochimp View Post
50 bucks says Didi does Wild Horses.
Good thing i didn't bet on that
Old 03-16-10, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by astrochimp View Post
Good thing i didn't bet on that
She still may do wild horses, just not sing about it.
Old 03-16-10, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thought there were some great performances tonight. Also reminded me just how great the Rolling Stones are. Crystal was my favorite of the night. That performance just had mesmerized. I hope Lacey gets booted, something about her voice just makes my ears hurt. I'm hoping the final two are Crystal and Siobhan
Old 03-16-10, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My favorite of the night was Didi's Play with Fire.Tim's Under my Thumb was dreadful and he'd be my choice to go.

Last edited by astrochimp; 03-16-10 at 11:17 PM.
Old 03-16-10, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by hippie68 View Post
I'm hoping the final two are Crystal and Siobhan
I don't think there's a chance that it won't be them in final two. Which will be funny, because they're basically the same as the final two last year...only female.

I think Katie is gone tomorrow.
Old 03-17-10, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sorry I know this isn't the right place for this, but I figured no sense in bumping the old theads and haven't read them yet, but was wondering if anybody knew the background song on the AI episode from 1/26, during the foster care kid, it goes something like "we're homless" and it's acoustic singer/songwriter style?

Also, any good sites out there for the background music in each episode? My google skills seem to be failing me.

Any help appreciated.
Old 03-17-10, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Michael Lynche - ugh, he's just too karoake and too much in love with himself to take seriously.

Didi Benami - sometimes she sounds like she sings through clenched teeth, slow tempo of the song didn't help Didi, needed some energy, some fire.

Casey James - in 2 years hence, he'll be playing in honky-tonk bars, wondering what the hell happened to his career. Decent growly cover band singer audition. Where's the passion?

Lacey Brown - Cutesy and thin, 2 qualities I might have looked in a potential mate in my younger days, but not in a recording artist's voice.

Andrew Garcia - has a 2-octave voice at best, which made him sound lackluster in the chorus and just undermines the verve of the song. Lame. Can't believe he stayed and Alex went home last week.

Katie Stevens - Somebody wake me up when she's done, she's so pageanty in her performances, and it was so dull.

Tim Urban - I swear the sing-songy tempo felt like he was singing to the tempo meter from a karoake video. Yet another coffee house singer who thinks he could record a hit album, but doesn't really have the vocal chops.

Siobhan Magnus - sang it boringly in the first half, and then sang the second half under the proper key, so it felt louder, but flatter, except for her channeling Adam Lambert at the end. Eh...

Lee DeWyze - He'd win Mumble Idol in a heartbeat. But if you give points for having a somewhat commercial style, he did okay, though not crazy about the arrangement, not angsty enough for that song.

Paige Miles - Was that really a Rolling Stone song? I didn't even recognize the chorus, hated the entire arrangement. Please go home this week...

Aaron Kelly - the makeover makes him look even younger. I didn't believe anything about his performance, he sings without heart or purpose or conviction. Simon is on crack.

Crystal Bowersox - still delivering solid performances, and she's got a nice sweet spot in her vocals when she aims for soaring lyrics, and her range is still the strongest of all the contestants. She's still the frontrunner.

Last edited by Patman; 03-17-10 at 01:34 AM.
Old 03-17-10, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I caught the last six, pretty good performances. It's going to be Crystal Bowersox and probably Siobhan Magnus in the finals.

That being said, I gave ten votes to Tim Urban, he just reminds me of the Partridge Family for some reason and that's good enough reason to get my vote. In a few weeks I'll get more serious about who I vote for.
Old 03-17-10, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Liked Crystal and Didi. Casey, Michael, and Siobhan were OK, but the rest were forgettable or bad. Urban came off like a childish ass in his little montage.
Old 03-17-10, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Obvi Siobhan and Crystal are the most talented of this lackluster group. Crystal has the most natural talent, but I'm still waiting for a connection.
Old 03-17-10, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is Siobhan going to scream a note during every song now? She is really getting to be like Adam Lambert.

The 'why are they on this show' awards goes to Michael and Aaron. Both are way overrated by the judges and neither sounds all that great. Michael thinks he's some great R&B star and Aaron is like a teen pop band reject.

Lacey's voice is too limited. It's annoying as well.

And the rest of the pack are mediocre to plain just forgettable. Crystal and Lee may have some commercial success with an album. That's all.
Old 03-17-10, 09:55 AM

Katie probably picked the "Wild Horses" song based only on the title. I picture her having a bedroom similar to that girl on Scrubs.
Old 03-17-10, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by big whoppa View Post
Is Siobhan going to scream a note during every song now? She is really getting to be like Adam Lambert...
Yes, and yes. Both Siobhan and Adam are both stage performers - as an example, I couldn't picture either of them with a guitar jamming away in a way that Crystal or Lee Dewyze do.

And reading dialidol's predictions is like reading tea leaves, but the person that they are showing as the favorite is...
Spoiler:
Lee Dewyze

And the person at the bottom is...
Spoiler:
Andrew Garcia, though like I said this is like reading tea leaves, I seriously doubt that he will go home tonight. Dialidol actually shows that all 12 could go home, it just gets more and more likely as they go down the list.

Last edited by Heat; 03-17-10 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-17-10, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thank you, Tim, for delivering the first hilariously bad performance of the Top 12.
Old 03-17-10, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't often give contestant by contestant reviews, but since I am a big Stones fan, I thought I'd chime in.

Michael Lynche: “Miss You”
Ugh, terrible version, performance was sub-par to me.

Didi Benami: “Play With Fire”
I liked her version, and I liked her performance

Casey James: “It’s All Over Now”
A great tune sung by a less than average performer. He has no soul. I have seen countless bar bands do a better cover than this.

Lacey Brown: “Ruby Tuesday”
I just can't get past the Pat Benetar vibe on this girl. I also don't get Randy's comment about the string quartet. On the original, there WAS a string quartet, and he said he didn't get it - Don't think Randy is a big Stones fan.

Andrew Garcia: “Gimme Shelter”
Not my favorite, dog. Props to Kara for calling him out on the meaning of the song. Bet he didn't even know what it was about.

Katie Stevens: “Wild Horses”
How she got in the top 12 over Lilly is beyond me.

Tim Urban: “Under My Thumb”
One of my fav. Stones songs, Simon, I think called it a boring tune. Tim didn't do it any favors - He has no reggae style whatsoever. It could have been decent, but not with Mr. White Bread singing it. The orginal with the marimba was one of the coolest things the Stones recorded.

Siobhan Magnus: “Paint It Black”
By far, my favorite of the night, and my favorite contestant. How can you even compare her to Adam Lambert???? She has a fantastic voice, great phrasing and really passionate nuances to her delivery. Just because she can belt out a high note, does not make her an Adam Lambert - that guy is nowhere near the quality of singer this girl is for sure.

Lee Dewyze: “Beast of Burden”
Just a clone, no personality, didn't do much for the song no star power, etc.

Paige Miles: “Honky Tonk Women”
@PATMAN, have you really never heard "Honkey Tonk Women?" Certainly one of the best known Stones songs for sure. She did butcher the lyrics changing it to be sung by a woman. Hated it.

Aaron Kelly: “Angie”
- zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Crystal Bowersox: “You Can’t Always Get What You Want”
Good job, but for some reason she annoys me - One a positive note, the Crest Whitestrips have made her teeth progressively white each week. If I want to hear a female vocal in this style, I'll play some Janis Joplin.

For PATMAN - here is a cool version of this song that I had never seen - it's live and a little slower than the studio version.

Last edited by Doug Heffernan; 03-17-10 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-17-10, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I've heard the RS version of Honky-Tonk Woman (and would recognize it if they were playing it), but Paige's version had very little in common with the RS version. It's like she Paigiarized it! Heh! Thanks for the youtube link.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.