DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Parenthood - "Man Versus Possum" - 3/09/10 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/570595-parenthood-man-versus-possum-3-09-10-a.html)

MrX 03-09-10 11:22 AM

Parenthood - "Man Versus Possum" - 3/09/10

"Man Versus Possum"
Spoiler:
Adam and Kristina come to terms with the fact that their son may have Asperger's Syndrome. Sarah (Lauren Graham) is on the job hunt and Zeek pushes her to dream big. Meanwhile, Crosby bonds with his newly discovered son and Julia deals with an aggravating mom from Sydney's

tofu 03-09-10 10:06 PM

Re: Parenthood - "Man Versus Possum" - 3/09/10

I'm starting to like this show. The bonds between the relationships seem genuine. Crosby is still basically a 2ndary character but he provides some amusing bits.

My favorite scene was Crosby lighting up at the school yard with the pot that Adam found in the backyard.

Ropes Pierre 03-09-10 10:32 PM

If i had Asperger's, i would be offended at the constant comments from nate fisher and monica potter intimating it is like a death sentence or friggin leukemia or something.

"OH JESUS he has the assburger's" Cue much gnashing of teeth and rending of garments. If they had a wit of sense they would go looking for what his Rainman powers are, and cash in at the blackjack table.

MrX 03-09-10 11:08 PM

Nate Fisher never would have passed there at the end when his brother offered.

The only parts I haven't cared for are Crosby and his kid.

Gizmo 03-10-10 10:41 AM

Dropped to a 2.8 yesterday. If it continues, it'll average out around Chuck. Swing and a miss for NBC.

critterdvd 03-10-10 11:54 AM

Last night episodes was leaps and bounds better than the pilot (which I also liked but just not as much), I'm glad that the humor is slipping into the show more frequently and the character's chemistry is really starting to solidify. This is quickly becoming one of my favorite shows. Hopefully it can ride out the season mildly successful and NBC is utilize it in a much better timeslot in the fall.

mdc3000 03-10-10 05:58 PM

^Totally agree - I hope NBC lets this one find it's audience, because I actually think the title is working AGAINST IT...but the second episode was extremely enjoyable and I think this series will only get better as it goes along. (but then again, I love Lauren Graham/Peter Krause and Friday Night Lights so maybe I'm biased).

riley_dude 03-10-10 06:57 PM

I am liking this show too though the humor seems a bit forced at times.
Great cast and ashame more people would watch a reality show than this.

Drav3n 03-10-10 09:51 PM

thought this was a really good episode and am lookin forward to see how it progresses.

i said it in the thread for the pilot episode and ill say it here as well: if nbc wants this show to succeed, it needs to be on at 8pm or 9pm. 10pm for a 'tv-pg' show that is considered a family show needs to be on earlier.

Tscott 03-10-10 10:20 PM

I got around to watching this tonight. Really enjoying it after two episodes.

if nbc wants this show to succeed, it needs to be on at 8pm or 9pm
I'm wishing they'd set up a night with

Chuck 8/7c
Parenthood 9/8c
Mercy 10/9c

Then I can get all my NBC watching done in one night.

riley_dude 03-10-10 11:11 PM

They really need to give Bonnie Bedelia something more to do as well.

rfduncan 03-11-10 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by riley_dude (Post 10043216)
Great cast and ashame more people would watch a reality show than this.

Well it MIGHT be a shame if it were in direct competition with one.

Truthfully, NBC should be grateful for the numbers they have considering they all but changed the channel for the few viewers of their former 10pm slot programming when they put in Jay Leno.

I think the show is good. I watched both episodes last night. It is too early to tell, but it seems like the producers are planning an interesting weave of unfolding everything that was hinted at in the pilot. If the storytelling can stay fresh and creative, it may have a shot. But then again, how will it get new viewers if it takes that approach?

The title credits inter-splicing photos of the actors growing up was interesting and nice. The music choices so far have been pretty cool too.

spammied 03-11-10 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by tofu (Post 10041492)
My favorite scene was Crosby lighting up at the school yard with the pot that Adam found in the backyard.

This was my favorite scene. LOL woulda been funny to see Bonnie Bedelia to take a hit.
Loved the subtle Norah Jones music btw during the scene

riley_dude 03-12-10 01:29 AM

I loved the weed scene too.

zekeburger1979 03-25-10 10:41 AM

After I watched the pilot, I was afraid that the Sarah character was going to be a clone of Lorelai Gilmore, but seeing Lauren Graham's work in this episode showed that Sarah is worlds different from Lorelai. Here, Sarah is a single mom with one (maybe two) underachieving kid(s), no job, no job prospects and living at home with her parents. The closest Sarah was to Lorelai was at the end with the principal and even then, it was different because Sarah is pleading with the principal whereas Lorelai was domineering and demanding.

Crosby and the kid was pretty good at the breakfast. I wasn't sold on Dax Shepherd before the series, but he's holding his own.

Is it possible for a scene involving Julia and Sydney to not make it look like Julia is a bad mother?

Peter Krause running around in a blazer and underwear looking for the possum and then playing pirate with Max was funny.

The actress who played Raquel (stay at home mom/tart) and the actor who played Dr. Pelikan were both on Everwood.

By the way, when did Erika Christensen start having a huge rack? Damn, she looked good at the playground. :drool: