Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol -- Top 20 Perform -- 03/02-03/04/10

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who should be voted off American Idol Thursday?
Aaron Kelly
0%
Alex Lambert
5.88%
Andrew Garcia
5.88%
Casey James
0%
Jermaine Sellers
5.88%
John Park
35.29%
Lee Dewyze
0%
Michael Lynche
0%
Tim Urban
5.88%
Todrick Hall
0%
Crystal Bowersox
0%
DiDi Benami
0%
Haeley Vaughn
35.29%
Katelyn Epperly
0%
Katie Stevens
0%
Lacey Brown
5.88%
Lilly Scott
0%
Michelle Delamor
0%
Paige Miles
0%
Siobhan Magnus
0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

American Idol -- Top 20 Perform -- 03/02-03/04/10

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-10, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: American Idol -- Top 20 Perform -- 03/02-03/04/10

Crystal Bowersox - very good performance of a song I didn't much care for, so props to her.

Haeley Vaughn - wow, she sang just as good as Taylor Swift, which isn't all that good.

Lacey Brown - wow, her voice is really weak, and the song choice was too cutesy, doubtful she's got any appreciable recording vocal talent.

Katie Stevens - Not loving the sound of her vocals, they don't invite more attentive listening, instead they just occupy the space for a bit, but never eliciting a repeat listen.

Didi Benami - not enough bass in her voice, so at time the chorus felt a little shrieky as she was pressing through the song. Her non-verbal performance was at least engaging to watch, not as much when listening to it.

Michelle Delamor - has a future backing up diva singers, but not quite a leading lady in the singing arena.

Lily Scott - sometimes overstylized in her vocals, gets a little flat when shooting for the low notes, and her vocal affectations do separate her from the rest of the girls. But, I wouldn't really want to listen to a full album of hers because I don't find her singing easy on the ears.

Katelyn Epperly - not crazy about the song choice, too dreary and weepy, with flashes of potential, too bad no one is going remember her performance tonight. Then again, I'm not much of a fan of Coldplay.

Paige Miles - actually perked up my ears with her rendition of this Kelly Clarkson song, with just a hint of her own vocal flavorings to make it a bit different, but still enjoyable at a fluff pop level without pushing herself vocally.

Siobhan Magnus - her phrasing is a bit wonky, with a loud but not full voice, so it comes off a little pageanty to me, though her big note sounded crazy in relation to the rest of the song.

Last edited by Patman; 03-04-10 at 01:45 AM.
Old 03-04-10, 06:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why does Haeley have 2 different color lips? That is very odd looking and distracting IMO.

Crystal, Didi, Siobhan for the girls and Big Mike and Lee for the boys are the only ones I care about at this point.
Old 03-04-10, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scoot95
Why does Haeley have 2 different color lips? That is very odd looking and distracting IMO.
.....and she has a HUGE tongue which causes her to lisp...
Old 03-04-10, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I hate the way they do it now, with the gender separation. I much preferred the earlier seasons where had 3 random groups of 10, and the best were voted from in each group, and then you had the wild card round to give another chance to someone who might have missed out due to being in a tough group.

If you ended up with a top 10 that was mostly male or female, so be it.
I didn't like that at all b/c it was entirely too much dependant on your screen time in the audition rounds. It didn't really give any chance for anyone to "Elliot" their way along and grown in the competition (for instance Ricky Bibby? was really good last year but he had virutally no chance b/c of the way the show was set up). The judges basically hand selected their top "13" last year with the possible exception of Kris Allen, and kudos to him for winning it.

I would be onboard with the four lowest overall vote totals going home regardless of gender.
Old 03-04-10, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by mwbmis
I didn't like that at all b/c it was entirely too much dependant on your screen time in the audition rounds. It didn't really give any chance for anyone to "Elliot" their way along and grown in the competition (for instance Ricky Bibby? was really good last year but he had virutally no chance b/c of the way the show was set up). The judges basically hand selected their top "13" last year with the possible exception of Kris Allen, and kudos to him for winning it.

I would be onboard with the four lowest overall vote totals going home regardless of gender.
I have to disagree with you, i liked the way they did it in the past with 3 groups of 10 then a wildcard show.

I dont think audition screen time really matters(but it doesnt hurt), Kris Allen proves that it is not important. He came on during his week in the middle of the show, no one knew who he was, and he did great and made it through, I dont think they even showed him at all during the audition rounds and he won the whole thing.

What i liked about the 3 groups of 10 (12?) is that we dont have to listen to the same untalented people week after week. Each contestant gets once chance to make his/her mark, if they do well they make it through on their night or usually the wild card show , if not they go home and we dont have to hear them again (Tim Urban I am looking at you).

Yes sometimes good people slip through the cracks, but that is going to happen no matter what format they use.

One thing that they need to do is get rid of group week during the Hollywood rounds.
Old 03-04-10, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mwbmis
I don't see how screentime during the auditions is any different in the old system versus the new system. The editing is so bad in this show that by the top 24 is announced there are still many contestants I don't feel like I "know" by the time the audience can vote. Whether it is 3 groups of 10 or 2 groups of 12 male/females, there is still people who are highlighted in the auditions and those who are not.

I never understood why the editing is so bad. The auditions and Hollywood are done months before the voting begins. You would think the editors could make sure all the finalists are shown in the audition rounds so we get to know them. Yet every year they waste so much time showing trainwrecks or sob stories of people who are quickly eliminated during the Hollywood week.
Old 03-04-10, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

There were a LOT of bombs in the men's/women's performances so far. More-so than all the other seasons.

What a lackluster season this is.
Old 03-04-10, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Out tonight:

Guys - John and Tim

Girls - Lacey and Katie

I say Haley survives because she played to the perfect demographic.
People who vote for AI = People who listen to Miley Cyrus *

*Study funded by The University of Dino

Last edited by dino88; 03-04-10 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-04-10, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This week, most of them were better but not by much. Many of them were still dull or just barely doing more than karoake. I can't get through an entire 2 hour episode without falling asleep in the middle of it. The guy who sang last reminds me too much of David Cook. Anyway, the winner of this season will probably do as poorly as Kris Allen whose album isn't blowing up the charts.
Old 03-04-10, 03:08 PM
Banned

Who I think is leaving tonight:

John Park
Jermaine Sellers
Haeley Vaughn
Katelyn Epperly
Old 03-04-10, 03:12 PM

There is no way in a billion years that Katie Stevens or Katelyn Epperly go home tonight.

guys: John Park and Todrick/Jermaine
girls: Lacey and Michelle
Old 03-04-10, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I don't see how screentime during the auditions is any different in the old system versus the new system. The editing is so bad in this show that by the top 24 is announced there are still many contestants I don't feel like I "know" by the time the audience can vote. Whether it is 3 groups of 10 or 2 groups of 12 male/females, there is still people who are highlighted in the auditions and those who are not.

I never understood why the editing is so bad. The auditions and Hollywood are done months before the voting begins. You would think the editors could make sure all the finalists are shown in the audition rounds so we get to know them. Yet every year they waste so much time showing trainwrecks or sob stories of people who are quickly eliminated during the Hollywood week.
Here is how I think it's different between the old system and the new system. I'll use my Ricky Braddy example. He, like Elliot, had no TV time prior to the performance shows so he went into the first round of 36 as basically canon fodder b/c with Danny Gokey, Michael Sarver, and Anoop all in group one there was NO WAY he was going through as the one or two guys. It's not just TV time; it's the judges pimping their favorites, and in a top 36 there is no margin for error b/c the judges are going to make sure a Danny Gokey or Adam Lambert goes through. However, if it's a top 24, he can survive, advance, and grow in the competition until the judges have to take notice.

As for the "wildcard" show last year...I thought that was a joke. The judges knew who was going through before anyone even performed. I mean how else do you explain Megan Joy advancing over Jesse Langseth.

Kris Allen did buck the trend last year. But, I think it had a lot to do with the fact that he was a good looking guy. Certainly his version of Man in the Mirror during group 2 wasn't anywhere near his best peformance, but after Matt Giraud laid an egg it opened up another spot potentially for a guy (Adam was a mortal lock).
Old 03-04-10, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't even remember how they did it last year - was there a wild card show? I was referring more to the earlier seasons. Before they did the boy/girl thing. They had like 3 weeks of groups and the best people moved forward from each group regardless of gender. I actually felt like that was easier to learn about the people 10 at a time rather than suddenly trying to keep 24 people straight. (I still don't remember some of these kids' names.)
Old 03-04-10, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Whew! Didi survived another week. Buh-bye, Cat whisperer!
Old 03-04-10, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Very satisfied with who went home. Makes me feel better about voting for Didi for an hour last night. I'm just not sure how much confidence she has left though.
Old 03-04-10, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was funny when that Jermaine guy got eliminated because I turned to my husband and said "Who is that? I don't even remember him!" And my husband said "Me neither!".
Old 03-04-10, 09:36 PM

Basically a perfect boot order tonight.

In a perfect world the next to go home would be Todrick, Tim, Lacey, and Paige.
Old 03-04-10, 10:27 PM

America got it exactly right.

I'm suprised how well suited Danny Gokey's voice is for country music. For all the talk from the judges about deciding what kind of artist you want to be, and sticking to it- he went in a totally different direction from anything we heard from him last year. I don't care for that style, but he seemed comfortable and I just wouldn't have imagined that.
Old 03-04-10, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Dead wife guy was on screen for 5 minutes and still had time to mention his dead wife.
Old 03-04-10, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My only question for the night...how many lines did Gokey do before his performance?
Old 03-04-10, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Merkin Muffley
My only question for the night...how many lines did Gokey do before his performance?
No shit. Calm down Spaz McSpazzerson. Did you see how uncomfortable the mannequin was while he was bouncing off the walls?
Old 03-05-10, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Merkin Muffley
More like he drank a 6-pack of Red Bull.

Can't argue with who got sent home, but TPTB have to to be praying that Paige doesn't screw up next week. If she's eliminated, you have an all-white Top 6 on the girls' side. I think Big Mike and Andrew will cover the diversity for the guys, even Todrick might make it in. But having a bunch of Lilith Fair coffeehouse types will ensure that 2-3 will be knocked off early, simliar to the R&B divas from S3. You gotta have a broader spectrum of singers than that. Going too far in any direction is a potential recipe for disaster.
Old 03-06-10, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This season is "off" a little bit (contestants AND judges) and the guys are mostly awful. But Siobhan Magnus is fantastic. Cute, quirky and great voice. I love that this girl is going to be unpredictable. She won me over for picking Chris Isaak last week. Who knows how far she'll get in the show, but she is really the only person I look forward to seeing.
Old 03-06-10, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

Just finished a marathon watching the guys, girls and the results with the help of Tivo, a 5 hour marathon turned into 3 hours.

The guys are so unimpressive. Michael Lynche is my favorite of the guys, but even his charming personality doesn't compensate for his relatively weak vocals.

I think this is definitely a girls year. Crystal Bowesox and Lilly Scott are my favorites. I thought Bowesox's performance was probably the best of both groups.

I had no problems with Haeley, Michelle, John and Jermaine leaving. Maybe I would have kept Michelle slightly over Didi.
Old 03-06-10, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

America is racist! Racist I tell you! Voting off the Asian, two black people and a Hispanic woman!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.