Southland -- Season 2 Premiere -- "Phase Three" -- 03/02/10

Old 03-02-10, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Southland -- Season 2 Premiere -- "Phase Three" -- 03/02/10

Photobucket

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
The second season opens with the search for a senior citizen kidnapped by a drug addict. Meanwhile, the investigation of a freeway shooting threatens an ongoing undercover operation, and Chickie's new partner shoots at a teen and sets off a riot.

Preview for the season premiere:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/acqwjhFYb0g&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/acqwjhFYb0g&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

6 episode season 2. Obviously you all know what happened. The ratings for these 6 episodes will decide whether or not we see a 3rd season.

Amaury Nolasco, who played Sucre on Prison Break, joins the cast. However, he apparently left the show after filming 3 episodes. Clifton Collins will replace him as a different character on episode 4.

Good night for TV on Tuesday. Can't wait for this.
Old 03-02-10, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Southland -- Season 2 Premiere -- "Phase Three" -- 03/02/10

I got hooked on this show after catching the first 7 on TNT, one of the best ensemble casts on TV right now. Glad to see TNT throwing some support into the show!
Old 03-02-10, 09:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Odd that Nolasco left after 3 episodes (assuming it was unplanned). I do like Clifton Collins though -- he should fit right in.
Old 03-02-10, 11:36 AM

I hope the ratings are very good for these 6 episodes. If they are not, you cannot blame the lack of ads. We've been deluged with ads on KROQ 106.7 here in Los Angeles.

This is a very good show, but I wonder if all of the actors would be available for a Season 3 since they shot Season 2 probably a year ago?

Chris
Old 03-02-10, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

All the actors are contracted until June.

These episodes were shot around August of last year. Michael Cudlitz, who plays John Cooper, was actively tweeting from the set around that time.
Old 03-02-10, 01:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ben McKenzie is doing a weekly blog on TVGuide discussing the new episodes. Also, a short Q&A with Michael Cudlitz.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Southlan...e-1015541.aspx
Southland's Ben McKenzie Thanks Fans, Previews "Phase Three"
Mar 1, 2010 04:45 PM ET
by Ben McKenzie

I will be blogging the new episodes of Southland, which begin airing March 2 on TNT. In future posts, I'll try to provide funny and/or insightful commentary (emphasis on the word try), but I'd like to devote this first post surrounding the Season 2 premiere to a different purpose: to say thank you.

The title of this episode is a reference to the third and final phase of a rookie officer's probationary period in the LAPD. But I believe it also serves as a decent metaphor for the experience all of us have had working on Southland. A probationary officer only enters into Phase Three after enduring an enormous amount of grief. He must prove himself over and over again, both to his training officer and to others on the force. He must show that he is worthy of wearing the uniform. Nothing about his experience is easy. And nothing about making Southland has been easy either.

We shoot in the streets of LA — all over the city, in the heat, in the rain, changing locations as many as 5 times a day. We have had to be incredibly patient, waiting for NBC to pick us up, waiting to shoot new episodes, getting canceled, and now waiting to discover whether we have a future on TNT. The rest of the cast and I (and most of the crew) have been involved with this show for 19 months, and we have made 13 episodes. That is a long time to make the equivalent of one full cable season.

Now, make no mistake about it — our efforts pale in comparison to what real police officers go through on a daily basis. We are doing the TV version of a reality that is so much more intense and disturbing than what we do, there is little point comparing the two. However, they do share one thing in common: Both the actual police and the folks on Southland do what they do for one principal reason: We love it. We have a passion on this show that I have never experienced working any other job. And that passion shows on-screen.

That same passion has been adopted by our fans. And to those fans, we are eternally grateful. Thank you. Thank you, for writing letters, making phone calls, commenting on message boards, tweeting, etc. It is because of your efforts that we have found a new home on TNT, and that we can (finally) share our work with you. We are very proud of it and we hope you enjoy it.

If you want to do more to increase our chances of success on TNT, please watch, tell your friends to watch, and join us on Facebook. Trust me when I say that these efforts do matter. You guys have saved us before, and you can keep us on the air.

Next week I'll talk about episode 2, "Butch and Sundance". But for now, thanks and enjoy.
http://thetwocentscorp.wordpress.com...tions-with-19/
Well, here we are. The last of our interviews with the amazing cast of Southland. Before I talk about this last cast member, I just want to thank all four cast members and TNT for taking the time to speak with us.

Now, on to Michael Cudlitz, a character actor many of you may know from decades of various roles going as far back as Beverly Hills 90210 or as current as Band of Brothers and LOST. Cudlitz was the most vocal over NBC’s cancellation of the show and is very appreciative to the fans that stand behind the show today. He makes it a point to reply to his fans on Twitter (he can be found at twitter.com/cudlitz) and before we got down to our interview, spent time talking to me about how our days were going and how the weather was in our respective areas. Pretty much, he’s the guy next door, despite playing the tough training cop on Southland.

TheTwoCents: You’ve played a lot of different type of characters in your career. What brought you to / intrigued you about this role?

Michael Cudlitz: When I was sent the script initially, I knew it was coming from John Wells’ company and his track record (ER, West Wing, etc.) … he kind of has this amazing knack of putting together these amazing ensembles that are character driven. With it being set in LA, I wouldn’t have to move and and I would play in a large ensemble and be on NBC. It doesn’t get better than that. There’s no way you say no that to audition.

TTC: With each episode, we are finding out more about Cooper, his past and how that leads him to handle situations. When will we find out his whole story and why that makes him behave the way he does?

MC: You’re going to learn about him as time goes on and everyone will unfold. There are things about people’s character that no one knows. Cooper is a Field Training Officer, and you have to remember that, so he is who he is—he’s an officer and when he shows up to work, he has to be that a–hole guy who has to break in that new person. He has his own way of working and he’s been doing this a long time, so it’s taken a toll on him mentally, physically, and he’s of a dying breed. These men and women actually exist and they are HARD. It’s become more of a politically correct position and it’s changed over the years from tough-loge to love-love. Nothing is what is seems.

TTC: Cooper and Sherman seem to be creating a great bond. Is it going continue to continue to grow or will something bring them apart come season two?

MC: Cooper and Sherman will be together and no matter what they will be a part of each other’s lives. They are definitely becoming [more than partners] … they need each other. As the show goes on, you’ll see they need each other in ways you didn’t expect, especially as the power shifts. As dissimilar as they are, they have a lot in common. You will think one thing is going on, but maybe something else will happen. You will not be disappointed.

TTC: Some episodes show only the officers while others show just the detectives and a few show them working together. Do you enjoy one over the other?

MC: I think both compliment each other. We have to see how they act together and see them act on their own. A power shift occurs at a scene and as an audience member, it’s exciting to see them interact and see who does an a– kicking job because one person does a job better and they back up each other. Each has their own nuance to it. I enjoy it all and the cast … it just doesn’t get any better. It’s a phenomenal cast and it doesn’t happen very often.

TTC: Do you ever get recognized for your older roles or has the Southland fever taken over?

MC: Southland fever has not officially taken over but I do get recognized for it. My most recognized roll is probably Band of Brothers, but I’m that actor that gets recognized for what I’m on currently. They think they know me and then it kicks off the chain reaction and realize they know me from something.

**BONUS QUESTION!**

TTC: List the 5 American TV Shows you’d show someone who has NEVER seen TV before.

MC: Southland (BONUS!), Dexter, The Tudors, Band of Brothers, MASH, All in Family
Old 03-02-10, 01:55 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

This is far from must-see for me, but I'll likely dvr/watch it for the next 6 episodes...
Old 03-02-10, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

John Wells said in an interview recently that if the show gets picked up for a 3rd season, they will have to cut the show's budget around 20%. Obviously it makes sense since Cable TV budgets/Ad Revenue are much lower than broadcast. Plus it would probably only get a 10-13 episode season.
Old 03-02-10, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So were these 6 episodes originally produced for when NBC still had the show?
Old 03-02-10, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by flashburn View Post
So were these 6 episodes originally produced for when NBC still had the show?
It appears that way.
Old 03-02-10, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yes these were filmed with the intention of NBC airing them before they got shut down. TNT bought the rights from NBC and Warner Bros.
Old 03-02-10, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Since TNT is not available in Canada, and there's no Canadian network airing this (CTV did, but there's been no talk whatsoever about them airing this now that it's on TNT) I hate to miss out on this. Gonna half to look for an.....alternative means. I'm not missing this show.
Old 03-02-10, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great show tonight. Hope it sticks around. This and "Friday Night Lights" are the two dramas I can't and won't miss.
Old 03-03-10, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Yes these were filmed with the intention of NBC airing them before they got shut down. TNT bought the rights from NBC and Warner Bros.
If i remember correctly, NBC thought that the show was too dark for 9pm (as leno was still on), so they decided to cancel it
Old 03-03-10, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Just watched the season premiere.

Fantastic episode. Probably IMO the best Cop show on TV right now. Thank God TNT bought these episodes. I would have been pissed if I never got a chance to see these episodes.

The riot scene with Chickie and her new partner handling that mob was really well directed. For a second, I thought Sherman was going to get his ass kicked by the mob. I really wanted Chickie to smack her new partner upside the head. I could not believe that he made her stop to pick up his dry cleaning. I also thought the scene with Moretta's snitched getting knifed in prison was really well done.

I also like how Cooper continually taunts Sherman. I liked his line about learning to drive after getting his BMW.

It looks like Tom Everett Scott was dropped as a series regular since he is now credited as a special guest star.

It seems to me that Amaury Nolasco is playing the law enforcement version of Sucre, especially with his over the top spanish annunciation and charm.
Old 03-03-10, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 View Post
If i remember correctly, NBC thought that the show was too dark for 9pm (as leno was still on), so they decided to cancel it
After seeing the episode tonight, I do think this show did not work at all for network TV. It was definitely dark and gritty. I think this should have been developed as a cable cop show from the start.
Old 03-03-10, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Man I missed it. Are they going to re-air this episode?
Old 03-03-10, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by kantonburg View Post
Man I missed it. Are they going to re-air this episode?
Tuesday's at 10pm ET....Mark your Calendar stat!!

Unfortunately not in the next week. But, check TNT's web site as it will probably get posted by the end of the week.
Old 03-03-10, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The return of "Southland" got off to a modest start on its new network home, drawing 2.5 million viewers.

That's lower than any scripted series debut on TNT, and "Southland" is a relatively pricey program to produce. Among adults 18-49, "Southland" pulled 1.3 million viewers. At least it drew more viewers than any previous "Southland" telecast on TNT (the network has been re-running the first season).

You can't compare a performance on TNT and NBC, not really, but needless to say these numbers won't be keeping Peacock executives up at night.
Old 03-03-10, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Dark Blue was getting around the same numbers and got renewed. Keep in mind this is cable. The Closer is TNT's highest rated drama with around 7M viewers.
Old 03-03-10, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Dark Blue was getting around the same numbers and got renewed. Keep in mind this is cable. The Closer is TNT's highest rated drama with around 7M viewers.
SouthLand is a more expensive show (obviously if it does get renewed for a Third Season there will be cuts). Got a 1.0 overall BTW.
Old 03-03-10, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Just to give you all an idea, the highest rated scripted cable show last week was Burn Notice with around 4.5M viewers. 2.5M viewers of what is essentially leftovers from NBC isn't too bad and considering the competition at the 10pm timeslot.
Old 03-03-10, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

This is what Michael Cudlitz had to say about the ratings:

What the hell ! ............. We did great last night 2.5 million people. Don't listen to the negative press Just watch the show you love.
http://twitter.com/Cudlitz
Old 03-03-10, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

If your in Canada, Southland will premiere March 15th on Super Channel. Uncut, Uncensored and Commercial free.

http://www.channelcanada.com/Article4104.html
Old 03-04-10, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

great episode..glad TNT picked this up

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.