Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains - Season Premiere, 2/11/10

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who will win this season of Survivor?
A Hero
36.67%
A Villain
63.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains - Season Premiere, 2/11/10

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-10, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains - Season Premiere, 2/11/10

Originally Posted by dstrauss
Colleen, from season 1, for one.
I heard they ran out of spots. Shane Powers was bumped off the list for Russell. Twilia wanted on the show, but didn't get a spot.

Sugar was a total waste of a spot for sure.
Old 02-12-10, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jeffbase34
I think the All Stars makes Rupert look even worse. lol In the last All Stars, he made the bone headed decision to dig a hole in the ground for a shelter. Tonight, he already injured himself, and he couldn't even perform his usual duty of catching fish or making fire. He just stood there dumbstruck during the puzzle. lol
Actually you don't need 4 people trying to figure out a puzzle. That's why they lost the challenge. If you noticed Rupert was actually studying the ladder rungs puzzle to get a head start for when the girls finished.
Old 02-12-10, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jeffbase34
I heard they ran out of spots. Shane Powers was bumped off the list for Russell. Twilia wanted on the show, but didn't get a spot.

Sugar was a total waste of a spot for sure.
Natalie Bolton was cut in Samoa in favor of Danielle.
Old 02-12-10, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Lunatikk
Natalie Bolton was cut in Samoa in favor of Danielle.
I think the Natalie from Fans vs Faves would have been a perfect chose for a villian. I still remember her "floss my teeth with your jugular vein" comment.
Old 02-12-10, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My $.02 (as if anyone cared )

I admit, the first season Rupert was on, I thought he was great. He couldn't get any more annoying now. His "schtick" is over and he's proving to be a very poor player this time around. Then again, maybe its editing.

Amanda's body is top notch, but Candice is easily the hottest this season.

Stephanie is RIPPED and is amazingly tough.

How the hell does someone like Courtney survive this stuff? Going INTO the season she's about 80 lbs.

Tyson would be one of the favorites of all time if he came off as just joking around. His lines are awesome, but he seems like he actually is being an a-hole rather than just messing around.

Russell is getting old FAST, but if he gets to the end again, the guy backs up his words.

I loved Randy's comment about nobody's going to get booted based on if they make a fire or not. You're right Randy, but you can get booted for telling everyone to not even try.

I have a feeling Colby, despite not living up to the hype, could last a while.

My pick right now is JT.
Old 02-12-10, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Howie2000
Danielle finished in 2nd place and was behind a lot of great moves in Panama(Getting a player out with only 3 of 7 votes at F12) but obviously her and the winner of the season Aras were forgetten pretty soon after the show aired because the editing of the game revolved around Terry and Cirie as the stars with Shane and Courtney as zany side charecters. Danielle is largely just victim to how the show is edited the last 4-5 years .

Candice was a "hero" probably for the same reasons Sandra was a "villian" to prevent Candice/Parvati teaming up and to prevent Sandra/Rupert from teaming up early.
Yeah, I know who Danielle is. I'm just saying she wasn't at all memorable. Maybe she did more on the island than was shown on TV, but how are we to know b/c they didn't show it on TV. Her big villain move (according to Probst) was lying to Terry at final 3. Putting aside the unfair nature of that final 3 immunity challenge I don't think what she did was at all a villain move b/c in her mind Aras seemed more beatable (he wasn't of course).

There are just a lot of female contestants that would have been a better choice. Natalie would have been better. I know they wanted Corinne, and she certainly fits the bill, but she couldn't get off work and didn't want to quit her job a second time.

Candice has the Amber in All-Stars slot (at least she was a better player originally than Amber...who did NOTHING). I know Colleen didn't want to do it, but there are still quite a few hero gals that would have been a better choice...Danni Boatwright for example.

Sandra had the confessionals and behind the scenes stuff at camp to be "villainous". She and Courtney are kind of in the same boat. They are both villains primarily for stuff they said to the camera.

Originally Posted by Joeboo835
How the hell does someone like Courtney survive this stuff? Going INTO the season she's about 80 lbs.
At least she's more prepared this time. She said that after ten days or so you go feral.

Last edited by mwbmis; 02-12-10 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-12-10, 09:44 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
I've watched every episode of every season and a few of the women barely rang a bell and I'm still not sure if I remember Danielle.
Originally Posted by mwbmis
Danielle and Candice really have no business being on the show, and I'm struggling to figure out why Candice is a "hero".
I think the problem is the producers wanted an equal number of males and females. Even then, I can think of several better choices for both.
Old 02-12-10, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Just a heads-up that Jeff Probst is blogging his thoughts after each episode again this season:
http://popwatch.ew.com/author/ewjprobst/

This season, for the first time I think, at the end of his blog, he has a real-time video, shot the night of the tribal where Jeff gives his off-the-cuff thoughts. Very interesting.

Last edited by JuryDuty; 02-12-10 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-12-10, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
Well worth the read:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20343684,00.html

The actual first round (that you did not see) featured the exact same match-up (Stephenie and Cirie vs. Parvati and Danielle) and it was actually a Heroes victory. Not only that, but the injury appeared to occur while Stephenie was slapping the mat with her extended arm to give her team the win. So, the round you saw presented as the first match-up was actually a rematch that Stephenie was participating in after she had already dislocated her shoulder!
With this providing context, then Courtney's comment of "Break her shoulder!" is even more of a bitch move considering it would've been after she already had her shoulder dislocated, and probably why she laughed at herself like a seven year old saying a dirty word after she said it. Oh also, I hate Courtney.
Old 02-12-10, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sugar going after Colby was one of the saddest, most desperate things I have ever seen on television.
Old 02-12-10, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Merkin Muffley
Sugar going after Colby was one of the saddest, most desperate things I have ever seen on television.
I love the fact that Sugar is so co-dependent that she was freaking out about not having anybody on night one. Line up now fellas!
Old 02-12-10, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

According to Sugar, they did her a favor by only showing that. I've heard that she was really chasing after JT.
Old 02-12-10, 10:48 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

Dalton's commentary said she went for JT first, and then moved onto Colby.

She's a sorry sight in this one.
Old 02-12-10, 10:53 AM

Alot of my thoughts about the start to this season have already been stated by others. But in summary:

-This season is awesome so far. Survivor F**K YEAH!
-Doesn't Coach have a significant other? (somone else asked this, but i did not see an answer)
-The comments others make on Russell, how do they know so much? I think its a combination of editing and the fact that they have all played the game before and are among the top players of the game, they know how to read people.
-I was sad to see Sugar go, but I can totally understand that if you are annoying your tribe 3 days in, you ain't gonna last long.

I'm not playing the dvdtalk game, but I'm gonna root for Russell, because I like him and he's the new guy. I think Sugar was my second favorite pick this season, shows what I know. I like 90% of the players this season, 2 of the girls I don't remember much about and I hate Sandra.
Old 02-12-10, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by neilo13
Alot of my thoughts about the start to this season have already been stated by others. But in summary:

-This season is awesome so far. Survivor F**K YEAH!
-Doesn't Coach have a significant other? (somone else asked this, but i did not see an answer)
-The comments others make on Russell, how do they know so much? I think its a combination of editing and the fact that they have all played the game before and are among the top players of the game, they know how to read people.
-I was sad to see Sugar go, but I can totally understand that if you are annoying your tribe 3 days in, you ain't gonna last long.

I'm not playing the dvdtalk game, but I'm gonna root for Russell, because I like him and he's the new guy. I think Sugar was my second favorite pick this season, shows what I know. I like 90% of the players this season, 2 of the girls I don't remember much about and I hate Sandra.
Coach's girlfriend was introduced in his season reunion. She was quite attractive.
Old 02-12-10, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

I checked out Coach's CBS bio and apparently they list him as single. Now his interest in Jerri makes a little more sense. I guess his girlfriend dumped him because he is so full of himself.
Old 02-12-10, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I guess you've never heard of a show called The Bachelor?
Old 02-12-10, 11:35 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Glad to see Sugar go first. She had no business being on this season. Rob was awesome as usual.

If memory serves me correctly, 5 people on this season have done back to back seasons:
Rupert - Pearl Islands and All-Stars
Stephanie - Palua and Guatamala
Amanda & James - China and Fans vs. Favorites
Russell - Samoa & Heroes vs. Villains

I think they are the only ones to ever do back-to-back seasons too.
Old 02-12-10, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
I checked out Coach's CBS bio and apparently they list him as single. Now his interest in Jerri makes a little more sense. I guess his girlfriend dumped him because he is so full of himself.
Or maybe that was just an actress he hired for the night.
Old 02-12-10, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jim
Glad to see Sugar go first. She had no business being on this season. Rob was awesome as usual.

If memory serves me correctly, 5 people on this season have done back to back seasons:
Rupert - Pearl Islands and All-Stars
Stephanie - Palua and Guatamala
Amanda & James - China and Fans vs. Favorites
Russell - Samoa & Heroes vs. Villains

I think they are the only ones to ever do back-to-back seasons too.
True. But they had several months in between filming dates, not the 20 days Russell had.
Old 02-12-10, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Girlfriend might even be too serious a word. If I recall, the graphic under her name at the reunion was "lady friend". So perhaps he, being the catch that he is, is inclined to entertain many "lady friends" and "female callers" in his parlor.
Old 02-12-10, 12:16 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Lunatikk
True. But they had several months in between filming dates, not the 20 days Russell had.
Rupert may have been pretty close to that since All-Stars was also in the Pearl Islands. Even a few months is tough. I bet most of those people would say it takes many more months or even a year or more to get their bodies back to normal. Some have complained about parasites and/or bug bites for over a year after they got back.
Old 02-12-10, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jim
Rupert may have been pretty close to that since All-Stars was also in the Pearl Islands. Even a few months is tough. I bet most of those people would say it takes many more months or even a year or more to get their bodies back to normal. Some have complained about parasites and/or bug bites for over a year after they got back.
The turn around is how they ended up with Amanda in Fans vs Favorites. They wanted Courtney, but she said no.
Old 02-12-10, 12:37 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mwbmis
The turn around is how they ended up with Amanda in Fans vs Favorites. They wanted Courtney, but she said no.
Courtney over Amanda?
Old 02-12-10, 12:48 PM

Thanks for the info, i was too lazy to look it up.

I wasn't, however, too lazy to look up the between seasons time for those that have done back-to-back seasons (this is off of wikipedia so I can't vouch for 100% accuracy).

Rupert - approx 3 months (Pearl Islands ended July 31, 03 and All-Stars started November 3, 03)
Stephanie - approx 6 months (Palua ended December 4, 04 and Guatamala started June 22, '05)
Amanda & James - approx 3 months (China ended August 2, '07 and Fans vs. Favorites started October 29, '07)
Russell - approx 20 days (Samoa ended July 19, '09 and Heroes vs. Villains started August 9, '09)

I'd be interested to hear Russell's comments on the short recovery time between seasons versus others who have done back to back seasons with more time.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.