DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   NBC News and Brian Williams killing the competition (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/569307-nbc-news-brian-williams-killing-competition.html)

JeffTheAlpaca 02-10-10 02:56 AM

NBC News and Brian Williams killing the competition

Suck it CBS and ABC :)

Maybe another factor is more people feel comfortable watching the nightly news with a man as the anchor.

Forget Jay Leno. Maybe NBC should have considered Brian Williams for a prime-time job.

The week before last, Williams' "Nightly News" was seen by an average of 10.1 million viewers each evening. Not only was that more than Leno, it beat every other program NBC showed in prime time all week, with "The Biggest Loser" closest at 9.7 million, the Nielsen Co. said.

That's not bad for a format — the network evening newscast — considered on its deathbed longer than most college students have been alive. It's equally impressive for NBC News, which has thrived even though everything else at the network is falling apart.

Both the "Today" show and Williams' flag-shift newscast have increased already substantial leads in the ratings over second-place broadcasts on ABC News since each of those competitors switched anchors in December.

Five years into his job, competing with ABC's Diane Sawyer and CBS' Katie Couric, Williams is now the dean of evening news anchors.
http://tv.yahoo.com/news/article/tv-...brian_williams

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/val...0-05222008.jpg

caligulathegod 02-10-10 04:22 AM

Re: NBC News and Brian Williams killing the competition

When I see Brian Williams on Jon Stewart's Daily Show, or elsewhere, he just seems like a nice guy with a real sense of humor. He has done well showing this side of himself and it makes me want to watch him if I happen to watch a network news show.

Count Dooku 02-10-10 05:48 AM

I read on Twitter--- this becuz NBC cheering for Obama so all people who love Obam watch NBC news but more people then watch FOX NEWS becuz FOX TELLS THE TRUTH

starman9000 02-10-10 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 9991368)

Maybe another factor is more people feel comfortable watching the nightly news with a man as the anchor.

"It's anchorMAN, not anchorLADY, and that's a scientific fact!!!!"

Groucho 02-10-10 06:59 AM

I thought this was about Brian Williams and team literally assassinating anybody who got in their way. Now that I know it's about ratings, it's anti-climatic. :(

conscience 02-10-10 07:03 AM

Of the three shows, the NBC Nightly News always seemed to be the best produced (right down to how the show actually looks) so I'm not surprised.

JeffTheAlpaca 02-10-10 07:26 AM

I thought this was about Brian Williams and team literally assassinating anybody who got in their way
lol I don't know anybody who would watch Sawyer or Couric and why those news anchor choices would have any appeal.

Raul3 02-10-10 07:38 AM

Who watch evening news?

I can understand morning news, you are eating your breakfast or getting ready to go to work, so you have your tv on watching the morning show. Same for the newscasts at 10 or 11 pm, you are going to bed, and you want to watch the local news.

But at 5:30 pm or 6 pm? 10 million viewers? really?

boogieman03 02-10-10 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 9991462)
I thought this was about Brian Williams and team literally assassinating anybody who got in their way. Now that I know it's about ratings, it's anti-climatic. :(

Damn, I would watch that show.

:lol:

JuryDuty 02-10-10 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Raul3 (Post 9991483)
Who watch evening news?

I can understand morning news, you are eating your breakfast or getting ready to go to work, so you have your tv on watching the morning show. Same for the newscasts at 10 or 11 pm, you are going to bed, and you want to watch the local news.

I watch NBC evening news because I want a succinct newscast with mostly news and a little commentary. NBC provides this, and since I TiVo the broadcast, I can watch it whenever I want. I usually also only watch the first 15 minutes and don't receive CNN, MSNBC or FOX cable news.

PS That's hilarious though that the Nightly News was the MOST WATCHED show on the entire network. Wow.

Nefarious 02-10-10 09:28 AM

I prefer him to the others and agree that he has a great sense of humor when he gets to show it outside of the news. I still miss Peter Jennings, though.

Chew 02-10-10 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Nefarious (Post 9991635)
I still miss Peter Jennings, though.

I grew up on Jennings, which is why I'm still with ABC. But, Sawyer just isn't cutting it.

Jennings >> Gibson >>>>>>>>>> Sawyer

wm lopez 02-10-10 06:28 PM

But NBC is still losing to FOXNEWS in that time slot, right?

tommyp007 02-10-10 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by wm lopez (Post 9992564)

not under discussion here. They are #1 in NEWS broadcasts.

majorjoe23 02-10-10 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by wm lopez (Post 9992564)

MSNBC is losing, but as far as I can tell (a quick search) Fox News gets something like 3 million viewers around that time slot.

Red Dog 02-10-10 06:56 PM

Props to NBC for capturing that highly lucrative 55-to-dead demographic.

Goldberg74 02-10-10 07:00 PM

Its good to see NBC excel at something. ;)

Thrush 02-10-10 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Raul3 (Post 9991483)
Who watch evening news?

Its timed perfectly to coincide with people getting home from work. People want to catch up with the events of the day.