Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Heroes -- "Brave New World" -- Season 4 Finale (Maybe Series?) -- 02/08/10

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-10, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Heroes -- "Brave New World" -- Season 4 Finale (Maybe Series?) -- 02/08/10

I would call it a passable ending for season 4, which alltogether was by far imo the worst and most dissapointing season. After seeing the trailer, i never expected the show to be so bad, and yes, I saw all seasons.

The finale was decent, reunited most of the cast, Sylar didn't switch sides again, so keep him good throughout next season if they make it please. The whole thing about multi man being sent to face Sylar, Peter, and Matt is insane. Samuel has to be the worst villain in the series, but again he had so much potential...

Hiro's storyline was just a bore, what's the point of this? A way not to being back Charlie next year? Wow! A character in Heroes may not return! Amazing concept! Matt was just stupid as usual, might as well kill him (watch it, he'll be the villain next year yawn)
Old 02-09-10, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As usual, like every week, I tried watching Heroes. And, as usual, I dozed off in and out during the second half of the episode and didn't care too much about what I missed.

I did find it funny that Tracy came in and rescued HRG and Claire, just as another member predicted in another episode thread.
Old 02-09-10, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 724 Likes on 529 Posts

Hiro's storyline reinforces his original thought of not changing the past in order to fix the present. I thought it was a good way to end his quest to right every wrong.

Am I to assume that Parkman was the one who re-wired Maddrox to turn against Samuel? The end was somewhat anticlimatic. If Samuel did need the draw strength from other specials, how was he able to kill his brother, unless he was a special also? I never got that feeling from the flashbacks.
Old 02-09-10, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Hiro's storyline reinforces his original thought of not changing the past in order to fix the present. I thought it was a good way to end his quest to right every wrong.

Am I to assume that Parkman was the one who re-wired Maddrox to turn against Samuel? The end was somewhat anticlimatic. If Samuel did need the draw strength from other specials, how was he able to kill his brother, unless he was a special also? I never got that feeling from the flashbacks.
There were three specials near by watching the event.
Old 02-09-10, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
Hmmm...yet even after Hiro teleported a bunch away, there were still five specials at the carnival, not counting the powerless Samuel.
Old 02-09-10, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 724 Likes on 529 Posts

Ah, the paradox of time travel. What about the other times? I would have thought he could have leeched Ando's boost to Hiro and make himself even more powerful? And if that's the case, why not just kidnap Ando and baby Matt Parkman?

Last edited by devilshalo; 02-09-10 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-09-10, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
That was actually the one thing I thought they wrapped up well. Although it did seem like someone raised there hand in the writers meeting and said "umm, what about Charlie?" so they had to tack something on to satisfy us.
Old 02-09-10, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Deaf girl seems like a plot hole. Sure she could attract people just by playing but not thousands, it would have just been people in earshot.
That's actually been established in an earlier episode, when Peter comes by her place and she claims it was because she was playing. Which makes her pretty darned powerful, since she compels people to come to her. But then that opens up another can of worms, does she visualize thousands of people?
Old 02-09-10, 03:48 PM

Been following this show since the beginning and will continue to watch if it's back for another season (it's like the drunken uncle you can't give up on). Anyway, after watching last night's episode, I finally decided to chime in. I thought this episode was lame and closed out the season with another thud (again). Unless I missed it, how did Tracy know Claire and Noah were underground to begin with? I also thought it was hilarious that a helicoptor showed up at the exact second they got out of the trailer. How did his partner know they would even be alive? I also thought it was funny that Noah & Claire and Peter & Sylar all made it to the carnival within minutes of each other. I know this next comment will get me lynched but wasn't Mohinder with Hiro & Ando a few episodes ago when we last saw him? Where did he go? I might have missed it it was mentioned at all where he was at.

Overall, this season was just OK. Had potential but the poor writing just killed it. Also, did anyone else find it funny that NBC's promos for this episode killed any suspense left by last week's cliffhangers?
Old 02-09-10, 04:15 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I completely agree with all of your comments, eric (especially the part about not being able to give up on this show despite its many, many faults).

As for the promos, it was worse than you say -- the promo I saw was basically the final scene with Claire. Way to spoil the surprise, NBC!
Old 02-09-10, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

When old-Charlie was in the hospital telling Hiro about the good man she married, and all of her children and grandchildren, I was expecting David Tennant to flash on a TV screen in the background ranting about weeping angels and warning whoever was listening not to blink.
Old 02-09-10, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I thought it was a decent end overall. If this was the final episode, it went out on a good note.
Old 02-09-10, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

This finale:

So in true Heroes finale fashion, Peter faces insurmountable odds at the beginning against the duplicating man, quick cut to Parkman, and Peter takes out Duplicating Man out off screen. This show is so fucking pathetic.

Same for the final battle, 18 episode build up to see the carnies just disappear with Hiro while Peter and Samuel push some dirt back and forth? So fucking lame its ridiculous.

The nonsense doesn't end there. All that fucking build up, shot after shot after shot all season of seeing Emma's power, all for one split second shot of her taking out the Puppet Master in one swipe?

Tracy is absent for a dozen episodes and somehow just knows where Noah and Claire are? Show some fucking balls, for Christ's sake and kill Noah. Imagine how raw and emotional Claire's character would have been and the future of her character could have taken if she watched her dad suffocate to death. But as the article above sums up, the show is written by a community and every character is invincible. There are no stakes on this show.

Where did Mohinder go? Oh wait, I don't care.

Oh and Sylar is good again. No wait, he has all his powers back and is conveniently missing at the end, so I guess he'll be evil in the next volume. Didn't see that coming.

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I really liked how they wrapped up the Charlie subplot. The actress they got to play her was very good casting.
That was the best story line since season one. They wrapped that up fantastically. She was the perfect muse for Hiro, and Hiro actually shined when she was involved.

However, I forgot the timing of her absence, was it before she learned Japanese or did losing the tumor mean some memory loss in the process? I only ask because she seemed oblivious to the Japanese conversation Hiro and Ando were having right in front of her. The writers wouldn't overlook a detail like that would they?

Season 4 wasn't a total wash though, other than the fantastic ending to Charlie's character, I did really enjoy Ray Park. He was excellent but really underused.

So, Mr. Kring... I'm out.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 02-09-10 at 11:48 PM.
Old 02-10-10, 01:06 AM

If I am not mistaken Noah's partner said she called Tracy and that is how she knew where they were....
Old 02-10-10, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Eve1972
If I am not mistaken Noah's partner said she called Tracy and that is how she knew where they were....
Yes, she did call her but I believe that was before they were buried alive in the previous episode. At the beginning of this episode, Noah's partner (can't remember her name) was wandering around above the ground they were buried under looking like she had no clue where they or the carnival went.
Old 02-10-10, 08:47 AM

The sad part about this show is that even if it's been terrible this year, and not so good in seasons 2 and 3, there's still some hope. That's what suckers us back in. We can all figure out ways for this show to get better.

Clearly for this to happen though, Kring has to be fired. 3 shots at it after season 1 is enough.
Old 02-10-10, 09:58 AM

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I didn't take it as Samuel completely losing his powers so much as him simply giving up. He would know the moment that he was weakened of course and probably have a sense of betrayal and utter disappointment. He could probably still muster a small amount of power (there were still some specials around in any case) but compared to what he had it would basically feel like nothing.

I personally didn't mind this episode, not the best of course but certainly not the worst.
Old 02-10-10, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by extreme2700
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I didn't take it as Samuel completely losing his powers so much as him simply giving up.
He looked like he was still trying to me, though.

Assuming that's true, as asked earlier, how does this jive with us seeing him trash entire buildings/cities THREE TIMES when no other superpowered people were around at all?
Old 02-10-10, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
He looked like he was still trying to me, though.

Assuming that's true, as asked earlier, how does this jive with us seeing him trash entire buildings/cities THREE TIMES when no other superpowered people were around at all?
I forgot about the mansion he sank earlier in the season. No super powered people around him there either. Sinking a building I'm sure takes a bit more power then throwing a rock like he did to his brother.
Old 02-10-10, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

To be fair, it looked like he really struggled to bring that police department down when he was alone.
Old 02-10-10, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
To be fair, it looked like he really struggled to bring that police department down when he was alone.
If he could do that you'd think he'd be able to push dirt back and forth like he was doing with Peter.
Old 02-10-10, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Samuel's power never made any sense all season. It seemed to be a plot device used by the writers to explain why he was so obsessed with gathering superpowered people together. The finale was okay on its own, but there was very little payoff except for the Charlie plot wrapping up. I actually think it is time to make Sylar a good guy, but I have zero faith in the current writers in executing a competent story so do not care about seeing that possibility.

That is it for me and this series. I grinded through this season, when I really have not liked any of the story-lines for nearly three seasons now. There was so much potential with the story and characters that were created all the way up until before season one's finale. That interview with Kring that someone linked to is quite illuminating on why the show failed. He clearly had no idea how to run a show that needed tight, season-long continuity like the serialized fiction Heroes purported to be for that first season. You can't run it like a procedural drama, where continuity is an afterthought. The ratings are so low I can't imagine it getting picked up again, but NBC is in such a bad position because of the Leno fiasco that who knows what will happen.
Old 02-10-10, 01:22 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
If he could do that you'd think he'd be able to push dirt back and forth like he was doing with Peter.
Peter was a 100% even match?
Old 02-10-10, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Now that I went back and compared the finale to what was setup in the season, yeah, it was pretty bad. I still say that it was a good finale in that it wrapped up the story well, but how they did it was terrible. Totally full of deus-ex-machina crap without looking back at what they did for the past 20 or so episodes; that's why characters like Claire keep doing the same shit, over and over.

If it's said that next season will be the last, I'll watch it, but I'm not really enthused by what Kring has done.
Old 02-10-10, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, in my opinion, Kring was not fit to run this show. He put it in the toilet and was firing other people when he was the problem.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.