TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Undercover Boss -- New Series -- Premieres 02/07/10 after the Super Bowl

Old 02-07-10, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Undercover Boss -- New Series -- Premieres 02/07/10 after the Super Bowl

Synopsis for Waste Management:

Spoiler:
Corporate executives work undercover in their own companies to personally examine their organization's operations. In the opener, Waste Management president Larry O'Donnell pretends to be a new hire within his company. He works at a recycling plant and two landfills, rides along on a garbage truck and cleans porta-potties.

If your going to DVR this tonight, your going to have to do some padding. It's going to premiere at approximately 10:00pm ET/7:00pm PT. I would pad at least 1 hour.

Last edited by DJariya; 08-31-10 at 04:37 AM.
Old 02-07-10, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Undercover Boss -- New Series -- Premieres 02/07/10 after the Super Bowl

I saw the preview of this show on Oprah last week. It was actually pretty interesting.
Old 02-07-10, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Extended Preview:

<object width='400' height='300'><param name='movie' value='http://www.cbs.com/e/iQpAE0YtPhOyyWLuKFfEWeITW15Dpdp0/cbs/1/'></param><param name='allowFullScreen' value='true'></param><param name='allowScriptAccess' value='always'></param><embed width='400' height='300' src='http://www.cbs.com/e/iQpAE0YtPhOyyWLuKFfEWeITW15Dpdp0/cbs/1/' allowfullscreen='true' allowScriptAccess='always' type='application/x-shockwave-flash'></embed></object>

It actually looks interesting.
Old 02-07-10, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

In case anyone plans to watch, it started approx 10 mins after 10pm ET/7pm PT.
Old 02-07-10, 10:57 PM

How is he undercover if he has a camera crew following him around?
Old 02-07-10, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by eightiesguy View Post
It was mentioned in the episode that he is pretending to be a lower level new hire with a camera crew following him around. None of these people know that he is the President.
Old 02-07-10, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by eightiesguy View Post
He's got a cover story that they're filming a documentary about an out-of-work construction worker looking for a job. So it's not entirely fair, since everyone is probably on their best behavior for the cameras, but they think he's just a regular guy, not the CEO.

I'm intrigued by the concept of this show. It has the potential to do a lot of good. If I were in charge of the world, I'd require every high level executive in every company in the U.S. to spend a week undercover every year. I hope these executives actually internalize the differences between the life of the guy who runs the company at the top and the life of the guys who run the company on the ground, and recognize the things they can do to make changes for the better.
Old 02-07-10, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

That was pretty good. The only thing that really struck me as somewhat hard to believe what that Jaclyn gal inviting "Randy" over for dinner. Why the hell would she really do that?
Old 02-07-10, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

The company who pick up the biohazzard waste from my medical office sent out a group fax on Friday encouraging us to watch this show since they're a subdivision of Waste Management. I guess they must feel they came out looking pretty good. Never received a fax like that before.
Old 02-07-10, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree with your thoughts on upper management (I think every exec in a company should be required to start at the bottom of their company and have some level of experience or perspective on every job under them), but this show is not the way to do that. The camera crew is the big reason this won't be all that effective.

Beyond that, I have to think any sane company that signs up to do this has controlled it so much before, during, and after the production that any value is damned near beaten out of it. Can you imagine the shareholder revolt (followed by lawsuit) if a company signed up for this and it blew up in their face?
Old 02-07-10, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw the episode after the Super Bowl...it was pretty good. Definitely reminded me of The Secret Millionaire a bit, and the experience really seemed to change the COO, as well as the people he worked with.
Old 02-07-10, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I enjoyed this alot. But, Larry is probably an extremely rare exception to all the Presidents across the country who actually care what goes on with the lower level employees.

He seemed like a good guy and It was funny seeing how he struggled with the work.

Looking forward to next week's Hooters episode.
Old 02-07-10, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush View Post
That was pretty good. The only thing that really struck me as somewhat hard to believe what that Jaclyn gal inviting "Randy" over for dinner. Why the hell would she really do that?
That was most likely scripted.
Old 02-07-10, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by stopgap View Post
That was most likely scripted.
So she knew the whole time?
Old 02-07-10, 11:43 PM

So she knew the whole time?
Not completely. There are cameras in her face and she was most likely prompted to invite 'Randy' over for dinner to give the 'fake show' some drama.

I'll trust that CBS is not letting the 'victims' know the full story. You never know with reality TV though.
Old 02-07-10, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There are actually nice people in the world who, when they meet a brand new co-worker who has just moved to town and doesn't know anybody, would invite him over for dinner. I don't know whether that moment was scripted, but I like to think it wasn't. And even if it was, they probably didn't let her know he was the President of the company -- she probably still thought he was Randy, the out-of-work construction worker being filmed for a documentary.
Old 02-07-10, 11:50 PM

When they were on Oprah, she said she felt sorry for him.
Old 02-07-10, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I have no doubt the producers influenced the outcome every step of the way. Hooked him up with the best "characters" in the company, arranged situations and scenarios, etc. Of course there is some great story for everyone and he didn't just end up with a series of jerks. It's still a TV show and still needs to be "entertaining". Everything was calculated and planned.

I watched a little and it seemed ok. In theory this show sounds great but I'm too cynical to believe anything will change for the company as a whole beyond these few people.
Old 02-08-10, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Draven View Post

I watched a little and it seemed ok. In theory this show sounds great but I'm too cynical to believe anything will change for the company as a whole beyond these few people.
Do things ever really change in this country?

I promise I'm not taking a political stab here. I just see what I see.
Old 02-08-10, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
I agree with your thoughts on upper management (I think every exec in a company should be required to start at the bottom of their company and have some level of experience or perspective on every job under them), but this show is not the way to do that. The camera crew is the big reason this won't be all that effective.

Beyond that, I have to think any sane company that signs up to do this has controlled it so much before, during, and after the production that any value is damned near beaten out of it. Can you imagine the shareholder revolt (followed by lawsuit) if a company signed up for this and it blew up in their face?
So if the president of say Waste Management decides to leave the company and take an upper level executive job at say Walmart, he's supposed to work as a cashier for a while first?

For the MOST part, upper level management is the same at every company. To be a good executive you don't necessarily have to know how every aspect of the business works. It's not a top executive's job to know how to work the register. It's his/her job to run the business in a profitable way.

And by the way, I didn't watch the episode, so I'm sorry if it covered anything I just brought up.
Old 02-08-10, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by whoopdido View Post
So if the president of say Waste Management decides to leave the company and take an upper level executive job at say Walmart, he's supposed to work as a cashier for a while first?
In an ideal world, yes. It's one thing to understand how your policies work on paper. It's another thing to understand how they affect the people who have to implement him. Take tonight's episode, for example (and I recognize that you didn't see it). The President of WM went out on a route with a female driver and was flabergasted that she had to pee in a can. Why did she do that? Because the company had productivity goals that didn't build in time for a driver to take a bathroom break. That's the sort of thing you wouldn't necessarily think of when you're sitting in a corner office, but that is very real to you if you're actually dealing with it.
Old 02-08-10, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by whoopdido View Post

For the MOST part, upper level management is the same at every company. To be a good executive you don't necessarily have to know how every aspect of the business works. It's not a top executive's job to know how to work the register. It's his/her job to run the business in a profitable way.

And by the way, I didn't watch the episode, so I'm sorry if it covered anything I just brought up.
It's just a feel good story and the CEO/President's chance to have the spotlight. I don't use Waste Management but that company is HUGE. He can sit next to me and I would never know who he really was.

I hate reality TV but always gets suckered in. Guess what I will be tuning into next week? The Hooters ep (with obvious reasons).
Old 02-08-10, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Time for me to be evil:
Jaclyn - someone please explain to me how how she even thought she afford her 'dream house'. That place is huge and looks like a freakin' mansion. From what I gather, her parents and sister/brother in-law came to live with them after they lost their homes (or apts. or whatever), so initially it was Jaclyn, her husband and 1 (maybe 2? I only saw 1) kid. Unless the husband was making some serious major bank before he lost his job, how the hell did she think she would ever be to afford or even deserve a house that big? She made it clear she went through numerous medical conditions (which no doubt were expensive), but still got a house like that? And never a mention of a pay cut (taking on more work at work, but hell I do that with a pay cut now). And people wonder why the economy is so fucked up and are losing their homes they couldn't afford in the first place.

Last edited by Gizmo; 02-08-10 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-08-10, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Personally, aside from a few episodes, I don't see this show lasting. It seems like a ploy for the general public to feel sorry for these big wigs (who are out of touch and making far too much money) and try and put fourth some sort of compassion for them (either has a person or company). I'm sure each one of these places go "Well, CBS offered us this pitch, and we should do it because its good PR and will make us seem like we really care about our employee's". And while they may infact do changes because of the show, they won't last. I'll stick to Dirty Jobs.
Old 02-08-10, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

38.6M watched the premiere.

I say it levels off at around 8-9M next week following the Amazing Race.

^^ I actually have to agree that I don't see how this concept can last multiple seasons. How many employees are going to be naive enough to believe a camera crew following around a new employee at their company for a documentary after seeing episodes this season.

CBS must be peeing in their pants after seeing those ratings though.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.