Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Smallville -- "Absolute Justice" -- 2 Hour Movie Event -- 02/05/10

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-10, 10:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Smallville -- "Absolute Justice" -- 2 Hour Movie Event -- 02/05/10

about 75% of this episode just sailed over my head, but I am interested in what happens next.
Old 02-05-10, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
I'm not getting it.
Apokolips. As in the planet of Darkseid, father of Orion and enemy of Highfather, the leader of New Genesis.

Come to think of it, the guy playing Hawkman sorta looked like Orion sans helmet.

And I liked how Doctor Fate let Clark know that Lex was alive and Clark was like "huh? But Lex is dead" or something to that effect.

Last edited by RocShemp; 02-05-10 at 10:31 PM.
Old 02-05-10, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by anomynous
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns' twitter
With a capital "A" RT @ayhawkStaples congrats on another great 'ville ep...please tell me Wallers apocalipse was written as apokolips
31 minutes ago from web
Apokolips aka Darkseid's planet.

So we can assume who the season 10 villain is
Originally Posted by RocShemp
Apokolips. As in the planet of Darkseid, father of Orion and enemy of Highfather, the leader of New Genesis.
I know all that, I just don't understand the language of what is in that twit above and what Apokolips has to do with this episode.
Old 02-05-10, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Because Pam Grier's character said "an Apokolips is coming" then Icicle said "Apokolips????!!!????"

The writers & director put an emphasis on it too, the way the lines were delivered and everything
Old 02-05-10, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Shit, I missed the 1st hour....

And oh, sorry Pam Grier...You're cool...but CCH Pounder is "Amanda Waller"
Old 02-05-10, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
As much as I love Pam Grier, this is the absolute truth.
Old 02-05-10, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Damn...now I want a JSA, Checkmate, or Suicide Squad series....
Old 02-05-10, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Fantastic episode.

I think my favorite geek moment was J'onn J'onzz going immaterial and his greenish-outline making him look -- only for a split second -- like his comics counterpart.
Old 02-06-10, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah that and seeing him change when Dr.Fate saved him.

I only saw hour 2 but I was totally geeked on sooo much here. Hell, seeing Dr. Fate and hearing him talk to Kal El was simply awesome.
Old 02-06-10, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

And let's not forget the vision of the red cape with the yellow S shield. And I hope Hawkman's final comments to Clark mean he'll finally fly this season. And he should totally enlist the JSA and the JLA to take out Zod's tower.

Anyone else think that Dr. Fate's comments to Chloe mean she will eventually wear the helmet of Nabu? It would explain why the Legion never heard of her.

Last edited by RocShemp; 02-06-10 at 12:13 AM.
Old 02-06-10, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Was it me, or did Hawkman have a pounchy look to his midsection?

Overall, the 2-hour event was pretty decent, much more interesting than most of the standalone 1-hour episodes this season. Some of the writing was a bit clunky in introducing the members of the JSA, and the reparte between Hawkman and Green Arrow just misses the mark at time, but at least they tried to stoke the fires of antagonism in search of truth.

Last edited by Patman; 02-06-10 at 04:35 AM.
Old 02-06-10, 06:05 AM
Banned

that is exactly what was going through my mind. Pam Grier is the bomb but Pounder is Waller.
Old 02-06-10, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Because Pam Grier's character said "an Apokolips is coming" then Icicle said "Apokolips????!!!????"

The writers & director put an emphasis on it too, the way the lines were delivered and everything
Yeah, that was pretty cool. And Fate's statement about Lex being Clark's biggest enemy to come.

I kept thinking it's too bad they couldn't get CCH to guest in this.

Originally Posted by Patman
Was it me, or did Hawkman have a pounchy look to his midsection?

Overall, the 2-hour event was pretty decent, much more interesting than most of the standalone 1-hour episodes this season. Some of the writing was a bit clunky in introducing the members of the JSA, and the reparte between Hawkman and Green Arrow just misses the mark at time, but at least they tried to stoke the fires of antagonism in search of truth.

He and Dr. Fate did, but I got the impression that's what happens you're out of the superhero business for awhile. The annoying thing about Hawkman was his Batman voice.

Yep - pretty decent ep.
Old 02-06-10, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I sort of groaned with the introduction of the Amanda Walker / Checkmate into the Smallville universe. I guess you have to make the show feel less insular, but never been a big fan of Suicide Squad or Checkmate for her inclusion to make this show all the more relevant as a show based on DC Comics characters. Not sure if I care that Tess has been a Checkmate agent all this time, either.

Hated Icicle, the character, his motivations, and the actor and the look of the character. Ugh.
Old 02-06-10, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I disliked most of the episode. The first hour was a mess, rapidly switching between characters and events, expecting us to wait till the second half to tie it together. It was a cluster-fuck. Second half was better, but at least half the characters were weak. The star girl was a horrible actress and she was in too many scenes. Checkmate stuff was a yawn. What was with Clark standing around and watching all this stuff happen. Yes, lets put a high school girl in danger because she wants to be a hero.

I have watched Smallville since day one, but in this epsisode they switched the dramatic style over to a more pulp comic book style and I didn't care for that.
Old 02-06-10, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

watching now. good to hear mention of John Jones, hopefully that means he'll start making appearances again

edit: woohoo he did

and a C64

Last edited by mikehunt; 02-06-10 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-06-10, 11:46 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

man, was this episode not for fans of the tv show Smallville, but for all those that know comic lore and what the JSA and all those characters are about. didn't hardly get anything in this 2-hours (except John become Martian Manhunter?) and only liked Dr. Fate's fortelling Clark of what he will become.
Old 02-06-10, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
Hated Icicle, the character, his motivations, and the actor and the look of the character. Ugh.
Plus his gritty, angsty, worse than Hawkman Batman voice. That this punk kid was taking out seasoned heroes was the worst, least believable thing in this mess. And given the other problems this "special" had that's saying a lot.
Old 02-06-10, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

This seemed like the poor man's Watchmen movie. While it was cool to see these characters and play who's who, as the time went on, it started looking more comical.
Old 02-06-10, 12:46 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

I enjoyed it

I thought the whole thing felt shorter than some of the single episodes they've done lately.
Old 02-06-10, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

ok, so give me a run down on suicide squad and checkmate
are they good or bad, or good but willing to be bad to get what they see as a larger good accomplished?
it seemed like that checkmate lady was glad the heroes are getting organized again but she's totally willing to cold heartedly kill people
Old 02-06-10, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

So.. as someone that doesn't watch Smallville much anymore... are Cyborg, Impulse, Aquaman no longer in the Justice League? I thought it was weird when asked if he had a name for his team, Clark says "Work in progress."

And is Dr. Fate person #25 that tells Clark about his future and responsibilities?
Old 02-06-10, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Suicide Squad:
The Suicide Squadis a name for two fictional organizations in DC Comics Universe. The first version debuted in The Brave and the Bold#25 (1959), the second, also known as Task Force X, in Legends#3 (1986). An "original" Suicide Squad was retconned into continuity in Secret Originsvol. 2, #14 in order to form a connection between the first Squad and the second.

The first Suicide Squad was a minor backup series about a quartet of non-powered adventurers fighting super-powered opponents that appeared in The Brave and the Bold#25-27 and 37-39. The Squad consisted of Rick Flag, his girlfriend Karin Grace, Dr. Hugh Evans, and Jess Bright. This team was created by Robert Kanigher and Ross Andru. Later continuity, in Secret Origins Annual#1, established that the team, in its earliest incarnation, was expressly formed to fight monstrous menaces as a replacement for the Justice Society of America, whose members had mostly retired in the wake of unjust accusations during the McCarthy Era.The Suicide Squad was revived in the mini-series Legends, and were created by John Ostrander. The renewed concept involved the government employing a group of supervillains to perform missions that were almost certainly suicide runs, a concept popular enough for an ongoing series titled simply Suicide Squad. They were often paired together with the government agency related series Checkmate, culminating in the "Janus Directive" crossover.The concept self-consciously emulated the World War II film The Dirty Dozenand the television series Mission: Impossible.[citation needed]In addition, the existence of the squad was top secret, creating much tension within the group and leading the group to be targeted (unsuccessfully) by the likes of Lois Lane and Batman (who was forced to back off from investigating the group when Amanda Waller threatened to use the government's resources to expose Batman's secret identity). While some of the Squad members, such as Bronze Tiger, Deadshot and Captain Boomerang were permanent fixtures, the balance of membership was made up by a rotating cast of, often very minor league, villains. These villains would agree to take on Suicide Squad missions in exchange for early release from prison. Thus, the existence of the squad served as a partial explanation for how villains who had been previously defeated by a hero would end up free again a few issues later. While the team were successful on most of their missions, there were often failures (most notably the capture of Nemesis by Russian forces after a failed mission in Russia) or the death of one or more members. The use of minor villains and heroes added to the jeopardy, as it was not clear whether any given character would survive a mission, and the series did not shy away from killing off some of its principal characters, most notably Rick Flag, Jr., who was killed at the end of the book's second year. The series was also notable at the time for examining the lives, motivations and psychological makeup of its characters with one issue per year featuring the group's psychologist interviewing each member.The Suicide Squad lasted 66 issues, going on to appear in several guest appearances in titles like Superboy(a Hawaii-based version, incorporating many of Superboy's enemies, as well as Superboy himself) and Chaseafter cancellation.The second Suicide Squad volume was published in 2001 by Keith Giffen and Paco Medina. Though the group's first issue featured members of Giffen's "Injustice League" group as the Suicide Squad's membership, the roster was promptly slaughtered save for Major Disaster and Multi-Man (whose powers make him unkillable). The two departed after their one and only mission, leading Sgt. Rock to recruit new members, most of which died in the missions they went on.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_Squad

Checkmate
Checkmateis a fictional covert operations agency within the DC Comics universe. It first appeared in Action Comics#598 and proceeded to have its own ongoing title in Checkmate!(vol. 1). In the wake of events depicted in the mini-series The OMAC Projectand Infinite Crisis, Checkmate has been re-chartered as a United Nations Security Council-affiliated agency and has its own new series, Checkmate(vol. 2).

The Checkmate organization was created by Paul Kupperberg and Steve Erwin, first appearing in Action Comics#598 in 1988. The precursor to this fictional organization was known as the Agency, first appearing in Vigilante#36. Harry Stein was appointed Valentina Vostok's replacement in The Agency's command position by Amanda Waller. Stein later sought out the most stable personnel available from the American and international intelligence and law enforcement communities to form Checkmate. His agency would field only the best-trained and well-equipped of agents, working under the strictest rules of secrecy. For the organizational structure of the re-organized Agency, Stein chose the game of chess as his working model.[2]Stein brought in Gary Washington (Knight One) and Black Thorn as Checkmate operatives, both of whom were his friends, and both of whom were introduced during his run on Vigilante.Checkmate!was at various times involved with the other government agencies in the DC Comics universe, primarily the Suicide Squad, which resulted in the crossover "The Janus Directive". Checkmate!was canceled after 33 issues but the organization continued to appear, mostly in titles related to either the government or Batman.After the events of the mini-series The OMAC Project, a precursor to the Infinite Crisislimited series, the Checkmate organization was re-organized and its title was revived with Checkmate(vol. 2). This volume is scheduled to end after publication of its 31st issue dated December 2008.[3]After the cancellation of the second volume, the team return in the Final Crisis one-shot tie-in "Resist" by Greg Rucka and Eric Trautmann.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checkmate_(comics)
Old 02-06-10, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
So.. as someone that doesn't watch Smallville much anymore... are Cyborg, Impulse, Aquaman no longer in the Justice League? I thought it was weird when asked if he had a name for his team, Clark says "Work in progress."
You're in luck, it doesn't matter who is in the Justice League because these episodes weren't about JLA, they were about the JSA -- kinda. Not even the full JSA was represented, though there was a nice "Last Supper" type painting with all of them (including Flash!).

To the person who asked if John "became" Martian Manhunter, the answer is "kinda". He was already Martian Manunter, but lost his powers, and took on the identity of John, a police detective. Dr. Fate restored his powers in last night's episode (one of the good things that happened).
Old 02-06-10, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
This seemed like the poor man's Watchmen movie. While it was cool to see these characters and play who's who, as the time went on, it started looking more comical.
I agree. The preview didn't get me excited despite other fans drooling at it. The episode was just OK.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.