TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Office -- "Sabre" -- 02/04/10

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-10, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Office -- "Sabre" -- 02/04/10

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Who gets credited and who does not is all a matter of contracts and salaries. And often it doesn't make any sense --look at House, for example.

As a credited cast member of The Office, BJ Novak gets a paycheck for every episode whether Ryan appears in it for 10 minutes, 10 seconds, or not at all. They are not going to fire him --he's also one of the show's producers. And he would be a total fucking idiot to voluntarily give up the money.

Ed Helms being added to the credited cast was definitely a result of his higher profile after the success of The Hangover. He's probably receiving more movie offers, and if they want him to turn any of those down to film Office episodes, he let them know that he would need an increase in status and more money.

I always thought it was odd that Rainn Wilson was second credited before Krasinski and Fischer, but he had more television experience than them, and was able to parlay that into better billing.
Interestingly, in some cases actors prefer to be the last billed as well, being the "and _____" person. This, for example, is why Eriq La Salle always was credited last in the ER opening.
Old 02-06-10, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,096 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by lordwow
Interestingly, in some cases actors prefer to be the last billed as well, being the "and _____" person. This, for example, is why Eriq La Salle always was credited last in the ER opening.
The "and" separates you out from the list.
La Salle would have been third or fourth credited out of six, so it was better for his status to go last with an "and".

For example, on The West Wing, Rob Lowe always went first because it was in his contract. Martin Sheen wasn't going to go second, so he went last with an "and".
Old 02-06-10, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I'm starting to get a little tired of Jim and Pam... hopefully the baby will make their relationship interesting again.

I'm also not a fan of the Erin/Andy subplot. It smells of the writers trying to recreate the Jim/Pam storyline, and it just doesn't work. Andy seriously just needs to come out already. That would be much more interesting.
You're just now getting tired of Jim and Pam? They've been a joke since the beginning of season 4.
Old 02-06-10, 04:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by whoopdido
You're just now getting tired of Jim and Pam? They've been a joke since the beginning of season 4.

Why have Pam and Jim been a joke to you since season 4?
Old 02-06-10, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I enjoyed this episode. I guess I'm a moron who only laughs because I'm a dancing chimp and the evil television show is whipping me.
Old 02-06-10, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,650 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by TVResearcher
It's cool to hate on "The Office," even though the show is virtually the same as it was when it started. People look at S1/S2 with rose-colored glasses. Sure, there are new characters and people's situations have changed, but at it's core nothing is different.

I think some people are just tired of the show, so they are overly critical based on some perceived "it used to be better" standard that doesn't exist.
Old 02-06-10, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Draven
It's cool to hate on "The Office," even though the show is virtually the same as it was when it started. People look at S1/S2 with rose-colored glasses. Sure, there are new characters and people's situations have changed, but at it's core nothing is different.

I think some people are just tired of the show, so they are overly critical based on some perceived "it used to be better" standard that doesn't exist.
Nah, it used to be funnier. Just rewatch some of the older episodes...
Old 02-06-10, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't care if some people think it used to be funnier since every episode is going to have differing opinions, but I'm pretty annoyed at any idiotic comment that acts like those who enjoyed it were tricked or just had low expectations. Heaven forbid people enjoy an episode.
Old 02-06-10, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

it doesnt matter what show u like, theres always gonna be times when certain seasons are stronger/weaker than the other seasons. Theres always gonna be episodes that will have you laughing from the moment it starts to the moment it ends and then there are gonna be episodes that give only a few laughs (if referring to a comedy).

I guess im one of the few that has enjoyed every episode of the office since its first episode. Even its 'weakest' episode (which i cant even think of one), still had me laughing.

If you think the show has lost what it had, or just dont find it funny anymore, then why watch it and bitch about how its not funny anymore?
Old 02-06-10, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
Nah, it used to be funnier. Just rewatch some of the older episodes...
I rewatch my old ones all the time. No difference.
Old 02-06-10, 11:06 PM

I agree.

Yet these same people watch every episode religiously
Old 02-07-10, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TVResearcher
Because, from the moment they "got together", they're simply not funny or interesting anymore.

Personally, I think even the creators are seeing that and that's why they're trying to recreate what they had with Jim/Pam with Andy/Erin. Unfortunately it's just not working as well.

And what's wrong with continuing to watch a show that I used to LOVE? I'll keep watching it until the end, but I'm not going to apologize for not thinking it's even half the show it was in seasons 1-3.

Last edited by whoopdido; 02-07-10 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-07-10, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by whoopdido
And what's wrong with continuing to watch a show that I used to LOVE? I'll keep watching it until the end, but I'm not going to apologize for not thinking it's even half the show it was in seasons 1-3.
I think the question was intended for those who seem to think these days that the show is more unfunny than funny, yet continue to regularly watch something that they profess to no longer enjoy. If you plan to continue watching it until the end, I can only assume that, though you don't believe it to be as good as it once was, you still get more enjoyment out of it than not. Otherwise, it would be masochistic to continue regularly watching.
Old 02-07-10, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just watched the episode on Hulu this morning. I'm constantly amused by the fact that every one of Michael's former superiors on the show wind up getting reassigned, arrested, fired, with most of them falling completely apart afterwards and becoming more screwed up than Michael himself. Not that this would be the case in the real world, but it amuses me to continually see that on the show.
Old 02-07-10, 12:04 PM
Banned

The one change that I don't like is that Jan is no longer on the show. Her interactions with Michael were just amazing.
Old 02-07-10, 03:13 PM

Although, from time to time it's been funny as hell, in many ways I've always thought of the show as more of a night time soap opera that happens to be funny and not a comedy in the traditional sense. Judging it by that standard it's still as funny as it ever was.
Old 02-07-10, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

where is HOLLY!?
Old 02-07-10, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Super X
Just watched the episode on Hulu this morning. I'm constantly amused by the fact that every one of Michael's former superiors on the show wind up getting reassigned, arrested, fired, with most of them falling completely apart afterwards and becoming more screwed up than Michael himself. Not that this would be the case in the real world, but it amuses me to continually see that on the show.
Yup. You're right. I still enjoy it. I've given up on shows in the past when I just didn't like watching them anymore. I'm not to that point with The Office yet...not even close actually. It's still an enjoyable show for me, but to keep beating a dead horse...not as enjoyable as it used to be.

If there are people out there that watch every week when they truly dislike the show, then yeah I don't see the point in that.
Old 02-07-10, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You don't think someone like Pam has changed "character" when comparing Season 6 to Season 1? Really?
Old 02-07-10, 08:05 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldblum
You don't think someone like Pam has changed "character" when comparing Season 6 to Season 1? Really?
Pam's probably changed the most; she's gone from a mousy, weak character to somewhat of a bitch with a superiority complex.
Old 02-07-10, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Goldblum
She's changed some, but it's a natural progression to me. It would have been worse if she had stayed mousy and wishy-washy. Jim brought her out of that, away from Roy and helped build her confidence.

It's interesting to me that people now think she's a bitch...I see a character who has simply matured.
Old 02-07-10, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

People seem to forget that Pam is pregnant...obviously she's going to be a little bit different in terms of mood.
Old 02-08-10, 12:25 PM

This show always makes me laugh even my wife has gotten into it. I have missed the last few episodes so its time to get caught up.
Old 02-08-10, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Vipper II
Pam's probably changed the most; she's gone from a mousy, weak character to somewhat of a bitch with a superiority complex.
I'm guessing she's more solid and outgoing because of being pregnant - and if so, then well done writers. My wife is pregnant, and is about 200% more outspoken now than she was before, and she was quite outspoken before.
Old 02-08-10, 10:31 PM
Cool New Member

"Scissor me!"
I have only seen some of the earlier episodes from this season. I would watch but I don't really have the time and plus I like watching on DVD instead. What I did notice from the episodes I saw was a darker looking picture and it just kind of gave the show a different feel. And what show hasn't gone on for 5 or 6 + years and not had the characters "change" in some way. Of course we would still like to have the type of episodes from season 1-3 but that is just a bit unrealistic. Does anybody know if Kathy Bates is gonna stick around for a while?

Last edited by ktipton87; 02-08-10 at 10:36 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.