Lost: The Final Season -- Season Premiere -- "LA X Part 1&2" -- 02/02/10

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lost: The Final Season -- Season Premiere -- "LA X Part 1&2" -- 02/02/10

Old 02-03-10, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Lost: The Final Season -- Season Premiere -- "LA X Part 1&2" -- 02/02/10

Originally Posted by Draven
I want to be clear that I NEVER said I hated the show. Just that I'm disappointed in the direction.

I'm not looking for everything to wrapped up. I'm just looking for something, after 5 seaons, to be explained in a reasonable way. People are freaking out about the ash, saying "That's why it was around Jacob's house!" I say..."why does a line of ash keep this thing away?" I honestly hope they answer that. If this was a movie or a book, I guarantee someone would explain how it works.

Let me give you an example of a "mystery" that LOST solved well: the polar bear. You see the polar bear. You wonder how it got on the island. Then you find out about the others and their zoo, and the presence of the polar bear makes sense, as long as you accept the presence of the zoo, the Others, the island in general, etc. That was a good "answer" to the question. THAT'S ALL I'M LOOKING FOR. For this issues to be somehow addressed.

I've watched and enjoyed plenty of "challenging" television over the years. My tastes aren't particularly mainstream. I'm just disappointed in LOST lately, but I will watch the rest of the season in the hopes that some of these things are addressed in a straightforward way, and because I like the actors, and because my wife loves the show.

Guess these threads are only for people who love the show. I suppose I'll chime in again if they do something I think is great.

For those that say "what's the point of complaining?"...I'd argue it's just as pointless to come in and say "I love this show!"

I think Lost has done a great job in providing answers to minor questions along the way. The problem that may be frustrating you is the show creates new questions along the way. Last night brought in a whole new can of questions.

The show just isn't going to reveal the big questions until the end. But some questions answered:

1. Does pushing the button really do anything?

2. What is the backstory on Ben?

3. Who is the Dharma Iniative?

4. How did Locke end up in a wheelchair?

5. What happened to Michael after he left the island?

6. Is Jacob real?
Old 02-03-10, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Flave
I don't think we're dealing with alternate realities. (I haven't read the whole thread so forgive me if this has already been discussed.)

Juliette's "last words" were "it worked". The bomb reset the timeline so they never crashed on the island in 2004. I think what's happening now is that Lost is back to doing flashbacks again. The events of the no-crash crowd are taking place in 2004 and the events of the island crowd is taking place in 2007 (today?). Notice that no one on the island is talking about the original crash or the bomb. And when Miles tells Sawyer Juliette's last words, he seems more confused than anything. What "worked"? Also, Juliette fell into a deep, deep hole in last year's finale but there she was close to the surface last night. Why? Because in this timeline, they never dug the hole that punctured the EM pocket. Thus no need for Desmond to be at the console for the 108 minute countdown. Thus Desmond was on the flight after finishing his race. Thus no crash of 815.

It's my opinion that the flashbacks are now going to tell how the Losties still manage to get on the island without the 815 crash. And the island story (based on the new circumstances under which they came to the island) will progress to the finale to reveal what the island and Jacob/Smokie are all about.

And by having them end up on the island again the writers are revisiting the pervasive Lost theme of destiny and free-will.
The stewardess (now an other) mentions the crash.

Maybe I'm just not understanding what you're saying.
Old 02-03-10, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So you're saying Oceanic 815 flew over a submerged island in 2004, but 3 years later it's risen again at that's where the 1977 folks jumped to?
Old 02-03-10, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After the bomb was detonated, and they woke up at night, they said that they were at the Swan hatch, after Desmond blew it up. But it still looked like a construction site to me.
Old 02-03-10, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
After the bomb was detonated, and they woke up at night, they said that they were at the Swan hatch, after Desmond blew it up. But it still looked like a construction site to me.
It most definitely was. That was the crane that collapsed into the drill hole.

Also, Flave, Juliette mentioned hitting the bomb before she died in Sawyer's arms.
Old 02-03-10, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

Nice theory , Flave and it fits with the writers saying we're not seeing an alternate reality.

I had simply taken Sawyer's confusion at face value and assumed he simply saw nothing had changed and assumed Jack's plan failed.
Old 02-03-10, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Nice theory , Flave and it fits with the writers saying we're not seeing an alternate reality.
Except, as Matthew Ackerly pointed out, Cindy-the-other mentions the 815 crash.
Old 02-03-10, 11:09 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly
It's quite apparent that Jacob knew he was gonna die, so thats why he convinced Hurley to come back to the Island. He needed someone to communicate through.

That's why he didn't put up a fight when he was killed, he knew he could still communicate through Hurley.
Couldn't he do the same through Miles?
Old 02-03-10, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
Maybe they crashed but on a different flight.
Old 02-03-10, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Maybe they crashed but on a different flight.
Ok, there's that possibility...
Old 02-03-10, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
Actually, she she said "they were on the first plane, Oceanic 815, with me." I didn't hear her say anything about a crash, unless I missed another line sometime later.

For me, what makes the "LA X" segments unlikely to be a flashback is what Sawyer said to Jack when they first re-appeared on the present-day island. He said "You were wrong! You said we could stop it from ever being built! That our plane would never crash on this island!"

That, to me, implies that the plane still did crash. Plus, the Losties still have their memories of trying to detonate the bomb. If that plan had worked, those memories would not exist.

Last edited by RoboDad; 02-03-10 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-03-10, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah but guys, the island is UNDER WATER in this alternate 2004.

Plus we don't really need another 'how do they get back to the island' - we've 'been there, done that' last season.

If anything I think the 2007 will just end up 'merging' into the other reality. Maybe it's just their consciousness or something. That's my theory.

The series ending with John Locke being able to walk after a successful surgery from Jack Sheppard would be pretty cool in my opinion.
Old 02-03-10, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Palaver
How is that possible? NC has the island under water. C happens months later and the island is not under water.
C crashed in 2004, some came back to the island on 2007, and the rest went to the 1970s. During this time NC are still kids, the bomb goes off, and NC go on living with the island sunk with their lives subtly changed. Like in the end of the first Back to the Future.

With the bomb going off it made C travel back to the "past" to the 2007 island when it still existed.

So that's my dumb theory on why there is no alternate timeline universe like Biff created in Back to the Future.
Old 02-03-10, 11:22 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

I think the water has healing abilities, but not enough to bring someone back to life. The Samurai guy commented how the water was 'dark', cut his hand, stuck it in, and when he pulled out, was still cut. Maybe it's supposed to heal (and grant that person, who is not DEAD, life forever). Like Ben and likely Richard. Perhaps being dark meant Jacob was 'in it' and would not only heal, but take over the body? Who knows.
Old 02-03-10, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly
The stewardess (now an other) mentions the crash.
You're right but at this point (assuming this theory holds any water) we have no idea how the Losties got on the island. Seeing as they've TWICE travelled to the island via plane crash, it's not inconceivable that they would do so a third time.
Old 02-03-10, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
Also, Flave, Juliette mentioned hitting the bomb before she died in Sawyer's arms.
Clearly Juliette (for whatever reason) has knowledge of the bomb; thus her final words "It worked."
Old 02-03-10, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JayDerek
John Locke being able to walk after a successful surgery from Jack Sheppard would be pretty cool in my opinion.
Old 02-03-10, 11:34 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

This happens every season. Something is obvious, yet for some reason we get sidetracked arguing an alternate theory.

There are TWO TIMELINES folks, not one.
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

"Nothing is irreversible..."

I love this show.
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

You're right but at this point (assuming this theory holds any water) we have no idea how the Losties got on the island. Seeing as they've TWICE travelled to the island via plane crash, it's not inconceivable that they would do so a third time.
You hold onto your theories too tightly.

She said the FIRST plane crash, and then said 815. It's not the third time. It's still the first.
Old 02-03-10, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffbase34
Ok, now that raises the question, why did smokey try to kill Locke in season 1? Didn't he need a human to kill Locke and duplicate his body? Now I'm confused. lol

Makes me wonder if Christian and Boone are duplicates created by smokey.
I remember Smokey "reading" Locke and I think that he saw that he could be manipulated, which he was.
Old 02-03-10, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It's a question of purpose, and now we know what Sayid's true purpose for coming back is. He is the one who was chosen by Jacob to kill the MiB.
Old 02-03-10, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Couldn't he do the same through Miles?
From what we've seen, it doesn't look like Miles talks to dead people in the same way Hurley does. Miles seems like more of a psychic who picks up vibes or feelings. Hurley has interactive conversations with dead people who appear in front of him as if they were alive.
Old 02-03-10, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clearly Juliette (for whatever reason) has knowledge of the bomb; thus her final words "It worked."
Well, technically, Juliette never said "it worked." Miles said it for her.
Old 02-03-10, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RoboDad
For me, what makes the "LA X" segments unlikely to be a flashback is what Sawyer said to Jack when they first re-appeared on the present-day island. He said "You were wrong! You said we could stop it from ever being built! That our plane would never crash on this island!"

That, to me, implies that the plane still did crash. Plus, the Losties still have their memories of trying to detonate the bomb. If that plan had worked, those memories would not exist.
Thanks for posting the quote. That pretty much puts an end to that theory, thank goodness.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.