TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lost: The Final Season -- Season Premiere -- "LA X Part 1&2" -- 02/02/10

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-10, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Lost: The Final Season -- Season Premiere -- "LA X Part 1&2" -- 02/02/10

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Have you ever really liked this show or just like to bitch about it? And if some guy turned into a smoke monster in front of me and murdered several people I doubt that the first thing I'm asking him about is that.
Oh look, it's one of those "LOST is perfect and cannot be criticized!" people.
Old 02-03-10, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker
Oh look, it's one of those "LOST is perfect and cannot be criticized!" people.
There are plenty of TV shows that I think that are stupid. I also recognize that there are people who enjoy those shows. So, I don't feel the need to go into those threads and bitch about the show I hate.
Old 02-03-10, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I knew when Miles seemed to not be able to do his thing over Sayid's "dead" body, that he's wasn't really dead and his "rebirth" would end the episode.

It was a good show and I'm glad it's back on, but this was one of the weaker premiers. I guess I think that because most of the stuff that happened was what I thought would happen - i.e Smokey= Man in Black, alternate time-line (it's Lost, they still have to be on the island in some way)

It may have helped just re-watching the entire series on BD, and I avoid any and all spoilers, so I went into this one totally blind.
Old 02-03-10, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ1276
Come on....no questions answered? We know that the whispers are the people in the temple and the smoke monster is Jacob's nemesis. probably more I'm forgetting about.
Why can people hear the whispers all over the jungle? And wasn't the smoke monster supposed to be some kind of automated defense system at first? Remember they used to actually be scared of going into the jungle because of it. Then everyone sort of forgot about it and Smokey would only show up for dramatic reasons. Now it's some kind of physical manifestation of a god, but a circle of ash keeps it at bay.

At this point I think Smokey is the biggest problem on the show. It seems that it's simply whatever the writers want it to be. Maybe it's the physical manifestation of "blowing smoke up our asses"

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
There are plenty of TV shows that I think that are stupid. I also recognize that there are people who enjoy those shows. So, I don't feel the need to go into those threads and bitch about the show I hate.
Personally, I don't hate the show. I'm just disappointed to see a once great show dive into such mediocrity. If I hated the show I would watch, which is why you don't see me posting in American Idol or any other "reality" or "game show" threads. Those programs are completely worthless to me. But I was hoping that LOST would turn things around and it looks like they have chosen to just make things more confusing. I am disappointed in that, and wanted to express why.

Again, only positive posts are desired in here? The show can do no wrong? It's one big LOST circle jerk? Again, I've watched since the premiere, and I always hope that the next episode will be better.

Last edited by Draven; 02-03-10 at 07:19 AM.
Old 02-03-10, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I...love...this...show....!

Is it next Tuesday yet?
Old 02-03-10, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the alternate timeline will serve the purpose of reminding us and showing how much there lives really suck if they never did crash and they do in fact belong on the island.

Somehow, they will converge.
Old 02-03-10, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Matto1020
Anyone else think that they will continue this NC timeline throughout this season to show what actually happens to these characters instead of crashing on the island. The last episode will end with them finally being able to reset everything and the show ends where it started tonight?
Yes. This is my conclusion as well. So far, we've never seen a "what if" flashback or flashforward, so these "alternate timeline" scenes are essentially what will happen to the characters AFTER the show ends...it's pretty much foreshadowing of what's to come.
Old 02-03-10, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The one answer I got for sure is that: I need to put some people on ignore.

If you hate the show, don't watch it! It's entertainment! Do you expect to get all the answers in the Season Premiere! Why not just wait till it's over? Get the Cliff Notes, and call it a day. The fun is the ride, not the answers.

SUCK IT!
Old 02-03-10, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Absolutely bizarre.
Old 02-03-10, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TheNightFlier
Fake Locke=Man in Black=Smokey
Ok, now that raises the question, why did smokey try to kill Locke in season 1? Didn't he need a human to kill Locke and duplicate his body? Now I'm confused. lol

Makes me wonder if Christian and Boone are duplicates created by smokey.
Old 02-03-10, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by maxfisher
That doesn't work. The C characters have knowledge of and have lived through the events of the past five seasons. The NC characters don't/haven't. I think it's pretty clear the show's created two parallel universes.
Not sure I buy the two parallel universes explanation. Obviously, everything is not set right in NC universe because Jack's father is missing.

I think the writers have something completely unexpected up their sleeve. They have done an amazing job keeping the show so unpredictable and exciting.
Old 02-03-10, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Draven
You wouldn't say "what are you??" Because I would.

I have watched since the premiere and loved the first season. It has gone downhill ever since as the show has gotten more and more convoluted, confusing for the sake of confusing and downright silly...culminating in last season "who cares anymore what we do" time travel nonsense.

I had read that this season would be more straightforward, without the time travel or the flashback/forwards, but I'm already a little disappointed in this "alternate reality" direction.

Can anyone honestly say that the events from the beginning of the show have any bearing on what's happening now? Everything is constantly changing and being reset. They have changed the past. They've changed the future. Anything that was set before is thrown out as new characters are introduced, old ones "die" then "return" for shock value. Nothing is consistent anymore, and no one is holding anyone accountable because "OMG DID YOU SEE THE DHARMA LOGO ON THAT SHARK BEST SHOW EVAH!!!!"

This show went from a group of airplane crash survivors on a mysterious island to a time-travel-smoke-monster-war-between-gods-everyone-is-connected-mess. I miss when the show was unraveling an interesting mystery. I miss when the most confusing things were a polar bear and a strange transmission.

I have zero faith they will be able to pull this together in a satisfactory manner. At this point, I honestly watch the show because I like the characters and the actors who portray them. And my wife loves it. I've just completely given up on the story, and I'm convinced that the writers don't think half as hard about the story as the fans do.

Also, didn't realize that it was bad to offer a contrary opinion. Was this thread supposed to be a love-fest for LOST?

That's an assumption. It hasn't even been acknowledged by the characters. I'd like to know why a nuke didn't kill them, only threw them into some trees.
Ok great. What is the temple? Showing it isn't answering anything.
That's not an answer. That's a more confusing question. The question is "What is Smokey" and the answer should be...this is what Smokey is. At this point I would take "it's a collection of sentient dirt particles" as long as SOMEONE would stop just accepting that thing as part of the scenery.
We'll see. She should have died when she fell down a huge shaft and then tons of construction equipment fell on her and then a nuke went off three feet away from her face but hey, who's counting?
I don't get it. Who or what is Jacob? Why did that pool of water bring a person back to life? What is the hourglass for? Why did they have to kill him first? The guy knew that the water wasn't "working" because it didn't heal his hand, but they threw Sayid in anyway. Why??

"Things happening" is not automatically an answer to a question.

Did you honestly expect them to answer all the big questions in the first season? You have to be patient to enjoy this show. They have over a dozen more episodes to play things out, and any Lost fan nows, the writers can crame a lot of story in one episode.

I have complete faith in the writers. They have said many times that the ending was mapped out from the beginning, and we are getting pieces of a grand mosaic.

Yes, season 1 has bearing on the final season. You really think the season 1 scene of Locke holding up the black and white backgammon pieces was mere concidence?
Old 02-03-10, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Meh. I enjoyed it, but it still pisses me off they continue to throw out new concepts when they are supposed to be explaining everything and wrapping up the show.
Old 02-03-10, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's quite apparent that Jacob knew he was gonna die, so thats why he convinced Hurley to come back to the Island. He needed someone to communicate through.

That's why he didn't put up a fight when he was killed, he knew he could still communicate through Hurley.
Old 02-03-10, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Wow - so much good stuff! I still find myself trying to make sense of it all.

So now we know why there was black ash around the cabin!

If - big if - dead Jack's dad was working for Jacob and told Locke he was going to have to die does that mean he was in on "The Man in Black's" plan? Or was he the man in black all along?

What was it Juliette said to Sawyer about coffee? Maybe she was slipping in and out of her "other" experience in NC timeline where she's still alive?

I think these "Other Others", really are the Others. I think they're just an extension of Richard's people (or vice versa).

I also picked up on Miles not being able to sense that Sayid really wasn't dead. I assume that takes away from the rebith theory considerably.

Glad we're getitng more first person Jacob.

I wonder if this means we're not going to get many answers pre-NC timeline (e.g. why Libby gave Desmond the boat) if some of the history changed (e.g. Shannon missing).

I really enjoyed the NC timeline and the interactions between the characters as well.
Old 02-03-10, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Yes. This is my conclusion as well. So far, we've never seen a "what if" flashback or flashforward, so these "alternate timeline" scenes are essentially what will happen to the characters AFTER the show ends...it's pretty much foreshadowing of what's to come.
I like this line of thinking.
Old 02-03-10, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Loved this show. Can't wait to see what happens the entire season.

And seriously guys, one thing is saying like Deftones above, that there a few things you don't like, and other that you liked the first season and have hated everything since but watched because you expect answers. Really? Sorry but then you just don't get the show. Yeah, Lost is not perfect, you can pick things apart. But for most of us that really enjoy watching the show it's more about the trip, we want some answers but we don't want all answers, and we don't expect a lot of detail in all answers.

I can assure you will get disappointed with this season too and with the series finale. You can complain all you want but you just don't get it.
Old 02-03-10, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To the complainers-

If your watching this expecting to be spoon fed and a nice, clean wrap-up of everything, then go watch CSI. This isn't a show like that.

The show has been like this for 5 seasons now. And you expect that to change? Why do you still watch if you hate it and it bothers you so much?
Old 02-03-10, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
At this point I think Smokey is the biggest problem on the show. It seems that it's simply whatever the writers want it to be.
Kind of like the Orb in The Adventures Of Brisco County, Jr.
Old 02-03-10, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this season would suck if it was just 18 episodes of checking off answers to questions without bringing something new to the table.
Old 02-03-10, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly
To the complainers-

Why do you still watch if you hate it and it bothers you so much?

...and then take the time to post how much you hate it and it bothers you so much?
We get it. You don't like it.

Last edited by Pointyskull; 02-03-10 at 08:13 AM.
Old 02-03-10, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

The blood Jack wipes off his neck on the plane has to mean something
Old 02-03-10, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffbase34
Ok, now that raises the question, why did smokey try to kill Locke in season 1? Didn't he need a human to kill Locke and duplicate his body? Now I'm confused. lol

Makes me wonder if Christian and Boone are duplicates created by smokey.
You're assuming smokey was trying to kill Locke then. Didn't we just see it try to drag him underground? Maybe it had some other purpose for Locke.
Old 02-03-10, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, if you complaint about this thread being a Lost love fest, you haven't followed these threads. Of course they are! But it's also about talking about theories, commenting about the show, asking questions, etc.

I just read the EW article and that's a must after watching the premiere. Really good info about what they are trying to do this season.
Old 02-03-10, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't think of a greater testament to Lost than someone who hasn't been pleased since season 1 has nevertheless watched 4 subsequent seasons, and is watching a 5th (Season 6). The flip side is the viewer is apparently unable to let go of what he hoped the show would be back in Season 1 and instead has steadfastly clung to his hopes and keeps waiting for the show to go there, continuously disappointed weekly.

If Jacob was in the cabin, was the circle of ash to keep the smoke monster out or keep Jacob in?

Just so we're all on the same page, the bomb going off in 1977 changed events from 1977 forward, not the time of the "plane crash" forward. Basically, it fractured the timeline in 1977 giving us people from an original timeline, who are now Lost in time, and people from the new timeline, which has progressed from 1977 and varied in several ways (island underwater, no crash, Desmond on plane, etc.), but not in others (most of the people still on that plane).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.