DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Deadliest Catch's Phil Harris suffered a stroke (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/568790-deadliest-catchs-phil-harris-suffered-stroke.html)

Kevin M. Dean 01-30-10 05:26 PM

Deadliest Catch's Phil Harris suffered a stroke

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/de...h/phil-harris/

Phil Harris suffered a stroke while in port off-loading from the F/V Cornelia Marie. He has been transported to a medical facility and is receiving the best care possible. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and we will make more information available as we know it.
http://www.corneliamarie.com/

Captain Phil Harris suffered a stroke yesterday at St. Paul Island in Alaska. He was medivacked to Anchorage and is currently at a hospital receiving treatment.

I didn’t say anything earlier, so family can learn from us instead of through the internet. I know anybody who is reading this also cares about Phil, so we thought you should know as well.

Phil is at a good hospital and receiving the best care possible. My mother, Cornelia Marie Devlin and Jake Harris are with him at the hospital. Josh is staying on the boat to help the new relief skipper who is flying out there today. The boat is in the harbor now, but needs to be able to leave in case the ice shifts and moves in.

Our engineer Steve found Capt. Phil on the floor of his stateroom Friday. He was immediately taken to the clinic in St. Paul – the same place he was treated when he had a blood clot two years ago.

As soon as we receive more information about Phil, we will pass it on to you.

Sweet Baby James 01-30-10 06:30 PM

Re: Deadliest Catch's Phil Harris suffered a stroke

Unfortunately, you could see this coming a mile away. Hopefully he'll have a full recovery.

Kevin M. Dean 01-30-10 07:34 PM

Yeah, it was just a matter of time and it was pure luck how he got through the last incident a couple seasons back.

bdshort 01-30-10 08:38 PM

I wonder if they were filming an episode at the time, and if so, will we see this? Thought's go out to the Harris family, hopefully it wasn't too serious. I'm thinking this may be the end of his fishing career though.

Lemdog 01-30-10 08:39 PM

He was lucky he was in port. Best wishes to him.

dsa_shea 01-30-10 09:06 PM

Maybe he will drop the stogies and change his terrible diet. He seems like a good guy and I wish him a speedy recovery.

Cory02 01-30-10 10:09 PM

Best of luck to Captain Phil. Its terrible that his family and crew have to go through another health scare after his bout with the blood clot. Hope he can make a full recovery.

Kevin M. Dean 01-31-10 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by bdshort (Post 9973005)
I wonder if they were filming an episode at the time

I believe King Crab season is over, but possibly they're still in their Opilio season.

Kevin M. Dean 02-01-10 12:10 AM

Update... so it is in their Opilio season.

http://www.corneliamarie.com/

Last night Capt. Phil underwent surgery. Both of his sons, Josh and Jake were at his side. Josh flew in from St. Paul to join his brother. It may be some time before we know anything substantial about Phil’s condition.

Thank you to everyone who has sent good wishes and prayers for Phil, his family and the Cornelia Marie crew.

An old family friend of the F/V Cornelia Marie, Derek Ray flew to St. Paul to take on the role of relief skipper for the rest of the Opilio season.

cdollaz 02-01-10 07:13 AM

If this doesn't make him change his lifestyle, nothing will.

Mankal 02-01-10 10:04 AM

Its a stressful life and all the tobacco-caffeine-and crap food don't help much

leacha 02-01-10 11:04 AM

I was just telling my wife all of that high fat / high calorie food may be fine for the deck guys but if you're sitting in the wheelhouse it'll kill you.

I hope he makes a full recovery.

Premise 02-02-10 02:14 AM

"Deadliest Catch" Captain Phil Harris is reportedly in
a coma after undergoing 12 hours of surgery
Sunday night. The Seattle-based skipper of the Cornelia Marie,
who suffered a stroke on Friday, was placed under a
medically-induced coma to reduce brain swelling,
TMZ reports.

paradicelost 02-02-10 09:26 AM

As soon as I saw the headline on Aol. I said "Must be Cpt. Harris" and then i saw it. I guess the Bering Sea isn't the only thing that makes it one of the deadliest jobs in the world.
God Bless Captain Harris, hope you a quick recovery. I don't know how soon they caught it and how he's doing, but one of the many things that sucks about strokes is sometimes you lose that person even when they live through it. I guess that sounds stupid but I think people who have had family members or friends go through it will understand what I'm saying.

Bill Needle 02-02-10 02:43 PM

This show often has the feel that you could be about to watch someone die at any time. But while Phil's ordeal has been a longer and more drawn out process, "shocked" isn't a word that pops to mind. I hope he recovers quickly and fully, and then promptly retires to enjoy his grandkids. That could be the happy ending to wrap up the next season, of which there's no doubt this will play a major part.

Drexl 02-10-10 12:00 AM

Update: he passed away.

SEATTLE -- Phill Harris, the captain of a Seattle-based boat featured in the show "Deadliest Catch" has suffered a stroke.

Harris' death was announced on the show's Web site on Tuesday night.

"It is with great sadness that we say goodbye to our dad - Captain Phil Harris," the man's two sons, Jake and Josh Harris said on the show's Web site. Dad has always been a fighter and continued to be until the end. For us and the crew, he was someone who never backed down. We will remember and celebrate that strength."

Harris, the captain of the Cornelia Marie, suffered what his family described as a massive stroke on Jan. 29 while the boat was in port at St. Paul Island, Alaska. The 53-year-old man was flown to Anchorage for surgery.

Last week, Harris' sons said he showed some "good signs of improvement, squeezing our hands and even summoning his trademark Captain's bluntness by telling the doctors and nurses, 'Don't (expletive) up,'" they wrote on the show's Web site.

The Discovery Channel issued a statement in the wake of Harris' death that said, in part, "Phil was a devoted father and loyal friend to all who knew him. We will miss his straightforward honesty, wicked sense of humor and enormous heart."

Harris was a 32-year veteran of the fishing industry. His two sons, Jake and Josh, worked as deckhands aboard his boat.

'Deadliest Catch,' a reality show depicts the crab fishing industry in the dangerous waters off Alaska.
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/83987157.html

Cory02 02-10-10 12:13 AM

Awful news. I had just seen an update a couple days ago that said he was talking to friends and family so I assumed he'd beaten the odds again.

Kicker_of_Elves 02-10-10 12:18 AM

Damn :(

Eric D. 02-10-10 02:40 AM

That sucks. I know he didn't take care of himself, but he seemed like a really nice guy. RIP Captain Phil. :(

wmansir 02-10-10 03:07 AM

RIP, Captain.

If Discovery was filming at the time it's going to be a hell of a show. There was an ep a season or two ago where one of the deck hands found out his sister passed. That was tough to watch.

Cory02 02-10-10 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by wmansir (Post 9991373)
RIP, Captain.

If Discovery was filming at the time it's going to be a hell of a show. There was an ep a season or two ago where one of the deck hands found out his sister passed. That was tough to watch.

That was Jake Anderson on the Northwestern. His father disappeared on January 6th and it sounds like he is presumed to be dead as the last news I've seen is that the ground search was called off on February 2nd.

Link

Needless to say, this season of Deadliest Catch is going to be sad.

Lemdog 02-10-10 06:18 AM

RIP Phil

starman9000 02-10-10 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Cory02 (Post 9991380)
That was Jake Anderson on the Northwestern. His father disappeared on January 6th and it sounds like he is presumed to be dead as the last news I've seen is that the ground search was called off on February 2nd.

Link

Needless to say, this season of Deadliest Catch is going to be sad.

Damn, that's tough.

REL77 02-10-10 06:45 AM

just saw this on CNN, awful, sad news... Phil always seemed like a great guy, and he will be missed by everyone that had seen him on TV, had met him in real life and by all captains everywhere.

kantonburg 02-10-10 08:59 AM

That's terrible. I always liked Phil, his boys, crew, and the boat. This season is going to be rough.