Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Dollhouse -- "Epitaph 2: The Return" -- Series Finale -- 01/29/10 -- RIP 2009-10

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dollhouse -- "Epitaph 2: The Return" -- Series Finale -- 01/29/10 -- RIP 2009-10

Old 01-29-10, 05:02 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Godfather
Thread Starter
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 57,072
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Dollhouse -- "Epitaph 2: The Return" -- Series Finale -- 01/29/10 -- RIP 2009-10

Dollhouse

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Echo and crew try to return order to the world and prevent humanity's extinction in the series finale, which is set in 2020 and continues the story of "Epitaph 1" (the "lost" episode from the Season 1 DVD set), when Rossum lost control of the imprinting technology, leading to global chaos.


This is airing at 8pm tonight instead of 9.

Hmmm, very odd to air an episode that is a continuation of an episode that most of the country did not see unless they bought or rented season 1.
Old 01-29-10, 07:33 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
kstublen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,750
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dollhouse -- "Epitaph 2: The Return" -- Series Finale -- 01/29/10 -- RIP 2009-10

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Hmmm, very odd to air an episode that is a continuation of an episode that most of the country did not see unless they bought or rented season 1.
I have to imagine that most people who have stuck with the show have either purchased the DVD and seen Epitaph 1 or watched it online. Personally, I can't imagine watching the second season without having seen it, but I guess it's possible there are people who haven't.
Old 01-29-10, 09:04 AM
  #3  
Enormous Genitals
 
Bandoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Posts: 33,253
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Dollhouse -- "Epitaph 2: The Return" -- Series Finale -- 01/29/10 -- RIP 2009-10

I haven't seen Epitaph I.
Old 01-29-10, 09:17 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 10,989
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dollhouse -- "Epitaph 2: The Return" -- Series Finale -- 01/29/10 -- RIP 2009-10

I may have to rewatch it before this one.
Old 01-29-10, 09:31 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 9,864
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dollhouse -- "Epitaph 2: The Return" -- Series Finale -- 01/29/10 -- RIP 2009-10

Originally Posted by Snowmaker View Post
I may have to rewatch it before this one.
I don't see why you'd need to. Last week's episode pretty much leads up to where this episode seems to be going. Sure seeing that episode would have given you more information, but nothing that would prevent you from enjoying this finale if you hadn't.

Bye, bye Dollhouse. Why'd you have to wait so long to finally get really good?
Old 01-29-10, 10:50 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 30,429
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Dollhouse -- "Epitaph 2: The Return" -- Series Finale -- 01/29/10 -- RIP 2009-10

Actually, some girl got a splinter so they are having another relief event tonight. Sorry, no Dollhouse.
Old 01-29-10, 11:38 AM
  #7  
Moderator
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Nuova Repubblica di Salò
Posts: 32,957
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Dollhouse -- "Epitaph 2: The Return" -- Series Finale -- 01/29/10 -- RIP 2009-10

I will miss this show far more than I would have possibly imagined.
Old 01-29-10, 12:15 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Pointyskull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Formerly known as "12thmonkey"/Frankfort, IL
Posts: 7,560
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dollhouse -- "Epitaph 2: The Return" -- Series Finale -- 01/29/10 -- RIP 2009-10

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
I will miss this show far more than I would have possibly imagined.
Yep
Old 01-29-10, 12:25 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 36,850
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dollhouse -- "Epitaph 2: The Return" -- Series Finale -- 01/29/10 -- RIP 2009-10

All you'd need to remember from Epitath 1 is that there's a little girl with Caroline's imprint and she has the database of every major character's original personalities.
Old 01-29-10, 12:34 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 10,989
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dollhouse -- "Epitaph 2: The Return" -- Series Finale -- 01/29/10 -- RIP 2009-10

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
All you'd need to remember from Epitath 1 is that there's a little girl with Caroline's imprint and she has the database of every major character's original personalities.
Wasn't it young Charlotte (Chuck) Charles ? IIRC
Old 01-29-10, 12:53 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Godfather
Thread Starter
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 57,072
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Re: Dollhouse -- "Epitaph 2: The Return" -- Series Finale -- 01/29/10 -- RIP 2009-10

I'm going to miss Olivia Williams. Gorgeous woman, even though her season 2 haircut sucked and I absolutely loved her English accent. If she ever does American TV again, I hope the next show let's her keep it.

Last edited by DJariya; 01-29-10 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-29-10, 01:08 PM
  #12  
TGM
DVD Talk Legend
 
TGM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 15,850
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Dollhouse -- "Epitaph 2: The Return" -- Series Finale -- 01/29/10 -- RIP 2009-10

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
I will miss this show far more than I would have possibly imagined.
let's not get too sappy here, the only reason why this show "got good" is because they had to speed up the whole drawn out process into a small span of time, therefore 1. more action and 2. more plot development had to occur. If the show wasn't going to be cancelled, it would not have been as nearly as entertaining.
Old 01-29-10, 01:36 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,586
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dollhouse -- "Epitaph 2: The Return" -- Series Finale -- 01/29/10 -- RIP 2009-10

It may have gotten "good" in the sense that it was more riveting and had more "WTF" moments, but it became far too convoluted and confusing at the same time because they had to speed everything up.
Old 01-29-10, 07:54 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 36,850
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dollhouse -- "Epitaph 2: The Return" -- Series Finale -- 01/29/10 -- RIP 2009-10

Originally Posted by Snowmaker View Post
Wasn't it young Charlotte (Chuck) Charles ? IIRC
She was some homicidal guy at first. Then they imprinted her as Caroline.
Old 01-29-10, 08:11 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
kstublen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,750
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dollhouse -- "Epitaph 2: The Return" -- Series Finale -- 01/29/10 -- RIP 2009-10

I really wish they wouldn't list Special Guest Stars until the end of the episode...

EDIT: I got a good laugh out of everyone laughing at Ballard when he gave the cliché hero pep talk.

EDIT: Was Maurissa Tancharoen the Weapons Expert? It looked like her and she played an Active a while back, but I'm not quite sure if it is her or not.

Last edited by kstublen; 01-29-10 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-29-10, 08:38 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
kstublen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,750
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dollhouse -- "Epitaph 2: The Return" -- Series Finale -- 01/29/10 -- RIP 2009-10

I can't think of any other person in television who, like Joss Whedon, has absolutely no problem killing off main characters.
Old 01-29-10, 08:55 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: STL
Posts: 3,197
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dollhouse -- "Epitaph 2: The Return" -- Series Finale -- 01/29/10 -- RIP 2009-10

Very interesting at Alpha being a semi good guy now




Also nice ending to the show; Echo is presumably just Echo now

Last edited by anomynous; 01-29-10 at 09:01 PM.
Old 01-29-10, 09:10 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 36,850
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dollhouse -- "Epitaph 2: The Return" -- Series Finale -- 01/29/10 -- RIP 2009-10

Well, plus Ballard. But did everyone else have it awkwardly cut to the Mutant Enemy logo at the end?
Old 01-29-10, 09:21 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
kstublen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,750
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dollhouse -- "Epitaph 2: The Return" -- Series Finale -- 01/29/10 -- RIP 2009-10

I think when I am looking back at this show, I will remember it as an incredibly amazing miniseries of sorts. I can definitely see myself revisiting it on DVD over a long break or something and it having just as much replay value.

I realized something while watching this...this is the first TV show that Joss Whedon has done where he either completely (more or less) resolved the storyline and gave a somewhat happy ending. Buffy and Angel are both still continuing and Firefly isn't completely resolved.

The episode was great and is exactly what I was hoping for. In the beginning I wasn't as attached to these characters and wasn't really worried, necessarily, about who lived or died. By this episode I really wanted them all to have happy endings, but realized that this being a Whedon project that was unlikely. Still, seeing Echo and Paul reunited (which after he died was a little predictable) and Priya (Sierra) and Tony (Victor) being together in the end with a son was a really satisfying conclusion.

Watching this finale I was actually surprised at how far the show had come. Characters grew and changed so much it really is mind-blowing. None more so than Topher. I remember back in the first season people hated on him so much; I was never one of the ones that hated him, but I didn't like him as much as some of the others. When it was all said and done he is probably my favourite character of the series. His growth was tremendous and he really showed how he has come full circle with his self-sacrifice. He was so selfish and didn't care about anyone in the beginning, but through mistakes he really did learn and change.

Paul's death was great and reminds me of a similar death in Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. I like when someone's death is realistic like that; no theatrics or drama, just quick and cold. It was sad to see him go like that, but nice to see him re-united with Echo in the end.

Alpha's return was fantastic. Alan Tudyk is always a treat, and he really does a great job portraying Alpha. I just wish his return wasn't ruined by the opening credits. Still, interesting to see his growth as well. Got a kick out of the question he asked Victor ("Why would someone do that to your face?"). It was a welcomed change to see Alpha as a good guy, taking care of the Dolls and fighting the good fight.

Adelle has grown a lot too. Her and Topher were in largely the same boats in the beginning; she didn't view the Dolls as people so much as things to advance her career. In the end she knows she can be the one to help save and bring people back to life.

The introduction of the "Techs" was intriguing. They were somewhat able to accomplish what Echo and, to a lesser extent, Alpha did - having multiple personalities at your disposal to recall when necessary. Had the show gone on longer I could definitely see that being more developed.

I also liked the Summer Glau video. Nice touch. Although I was disappointed we didn't get to see Ms. Acker again (although we saw her last imprint in that fat guy, right?). One thing I find odd is that when Adelle and the Dolls went above ground there weren't any of the Crazy Cannibal Dolls (I can't remember what they called them in the show); perhaps they went out the other entrance? I would have thought they would have had the entire place surrounded, but it's not that big of a deal.

The only thing that bothers me is that I am still unclear on what Rossum's endgame was exactly. They wanted everyone wiped, but for what purpose? It can't have all along been Boyd wanting to preserve his family; that had to have come later after he realized where the tech was leading and wanting to make sure he could save himself and those he chose. Was their goal all along just to control the world? Get Dolls into spots of power and run the world as they chose to? Or did they all along want to wipe everyone and live as the only Actuals? I tend to think it was the former and in the process things spiraled out of control, but I could be wrong about that.

It was a shame Felicia Day didn't have more to do this time around, but I guess while she was the main focus of Epitaph One this was more of an ensemble piece.

Anyway, this was a very nice end and a great companion piece to Epitaph One. If you haven't seen Epitaph One do yourself a favour and check it out. Not only does it help better establish characters in Epitaph Two, but it made the second season more enjoyable because you could see where the show was going, the pieces of the puzzle being arranged, etc. While I am sad to see the show go I am glad FOX did the right thing and not only aired all the episodes but let Joss Whedon finish it on his own terms. I wonder what would have happened if the show had gone on longer though; was this the ultimate ending that Whedon envisioned and would the show have been as good as it was this season had the writers been allowed more time to develop everything?

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
Well, plus Ballard. But did everyone else have it awkwardly cut to the Mutant Enemy logo at the end?
Yes, that happened for me too. I figure there wasn't anything after she got into bed, but it was really awkward ending. I doubt it was intentional, probably some sort of glitch.
Old 01-29-10, 09:45 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: United States
Posts: 2,506
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dollhouse -- "Epitaph 2: The Return" -- Series Finale -- 01/29/10 -- RIP 2009-10

Originally Posted by kstublen View Post
I think when I am looking back at this show, I will remember it as an incredibly amazing miniseries of sorts. I can definitely see myself revisiting it on DVD over a long break or something and it having just as much replay value.

I realized something while watching this...this is the first TV show that Joss Whedon has done where he either completely (more or less) resolved the storyline and gave a somewhat happy ending. Buffy and Angel are both still continuing and Firefly isn't completely resolved.

The episode was great and is exactly what I was hoping for. In the beginning I wasn't as attached to these characters and wasn't really worried, necessarily, about who lived or died. By this episode I really wanted them all to have happy endings, but realized that this being a Whedon project that was unlikely. Still, seeing Echo and Paul reunited (which after he died was a little predictable) and Priya (Sierra) and Tony (Victor) being together in the end with a son was a really satisfying conclusion.

Watching this finale I was actually surprised at how far the show had come. Characters grew and changed so much it really is mind-blowing. None more so than Topher. I remember back in the first season people hated on him so much; I was never one of the ones that hated him, but I didn't like him as much as some of the others. When it was all said and done he is probably my favourite character of the series. His growth was tremendous and he really showed how he has come full circle with his self-sacrifice. He was so selfish and didn't care about anyone in the beginning, but through mistakes he really did learn and change.

Paul's death was great and reminds me of a similar death in Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. I like when someone's death is realistic like that; no theatrics or drama, just quick and cold. It was sad to see him go like that, but nice to see him re-united with Echo in the end.

Alpha's return was fantastic. Alan Tudyk is always a treat, and he really does a great job portraying Alpha. I just wish his return wasn't ruined by the opening credits. Still, interesting to see his growth as well. Got a kick out of the question he asked Victor ("Why would someone do that to your face?"). It was a welcomed change to see Alpha as a good guy, taking care of the Dolls and fighting the good fight.

Adelle has grown a lot too. Her and Topher were in largely the same boats in the beginning; she didn't view the Dolls as people so much as things to advance her career. In the end she knows she can be the one to help save and bring people back to life.

The introduction of the "Techs" was intriguing. They were somewhat able to accomplish what Echo and, to a lesser extent, Alpha did - having multiple personalities at your disposal to recall when necessary. Had the show gone on longer I could definitely see that being more developed.

I also liked the Summer Glau video. Nice touch. Although I was disappointed we didn't get to see Ms. Acker again (although we saw her last imprint in that fat guy, right?). One thing I find odd is that when Adelle and the Dolls went above ground there weren't any of the Crazy Cannibal Dolls (I can't remember what they called them in the show); perhaps they went out the other entrance? I would have thought they would have had the entire place surrounded, but it's not that big of a deal.

The only thing that bothers me is that I am still unclear on what Rossum's endgame was exactly. They wanted everyone wiped, but for what purpose? It can't have all along been Boyd wanting to preserve his family; that had to have come later after he realized where the tech was leading and wanting to make sure he could save himself and those he chose. Was their goal all along just to control the world? Get Dolls into spots of power and run the world as they chose to? Or did they all along want to wipe everyone and live as the only Actuals? I tend to think it was the former and in the process things spiraled out of control, but I could be wrong about that.

It was a shame Felicia Day didn't have more to do this time around, but I guess while she was the main focus of Epitaph One this was more of an ensemble piece.

Anyway, this was a very nice end and a great companion piece to Epitaph One. If you haven't seen Epitaph One do yourself a favour and check it out. Not only does it help better establish characters in Epitaph Two, but it made the second season more enjoyable because you could see where the show was going, the pieces of the puzzle being arranged, etc. While I am sad to see the show go I am glad FOX did the right thing and not only aired all the episodes but let Joss Whedon finish it on his own terms. I wonder what would have happened if the show had gone on longer though; was this the ultimate ending that Whedon envisioned and would the show have been as good as it was this season had the writers been allowed more time to develop everything?



Yes, that happened for me too. I figure there wasn't anything after she got into bed, but it was really awkward ending. I doubt it was intentional, probably some sort of glitch.
Spoiler tabs please. Spoiler tabs.
Old 01-29-10, 09:47 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
kstublen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,750
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dollhouse -- "Epitaph 2: The Return" -- Series Finale -- 01/29/10 -- RIP 2009-10

Originally Posted by Blu Man View Post
Spoiler tabs please. Spoiler tabs.
...or you and anyone else could not come into the thread right after the show ends expecting people to either not discuss what happened during the episode or spoilerize entire posts?
Old 01-29-10, 09:58 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Arthur Dent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Formerly known as "awil1026"/ Don't Panic
Posts: 3,407
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dollhouse -- "Epitaph 2: The Return" -- Series Finale -- 01/29/10 -- RIP 2009-10

Originally Posted by kstublen View Post
...or you and anyone else could not come into the thread right after the show ends expecting people to either not discuss what happened during the episode or spoilerize entire posts?
Yea, I'm a big stickler for spoiler tags being used, but they're certainly not needed in this case!
Old 01-29-10, 10:01 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
kstublen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,750
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dollhouse -- "Epitaph 2: The Return" -- Series Finale -- 01/29/10 -- RIP 2009-10

Originally Posted by awil1026 View Post
Yea, I'm a big stickler for spoiler tags being used, but they're certainly not needed in this case!
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. Either way, I don't post anything spoiler-ish until after it airs. Enter a thread for something that just finished at your own risk.
Old 01-29-10, 10:02 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Arthur Dent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Formerly known as "awil1026"/ Don't Panic
Posts: 3,407
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dollhouse -- "Epitaph 2: The Return" -- Series Finale -- 01/29/10 -- RIP 2009-10

Originally Posted by kstublen View Post
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. Either way, I don't post anything spoiler-ish until after it airs. Enter a thread for something that just finished at your own risk.
No sarcasm. Spoiler tags are 100% unnecessary in this instance.
Old 01-29-10, 10:09 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 36,850
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dollhouse -- "Epitaph 2: The Return" -- Series Finale -- 01/29/10 -- RIP 2009-10

I was one of those who hated Topher and he ended up being one of the characters I loved the most.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.