Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Fox considering US versions of Torchwood and Doctor Who?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 01-19-10, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.thrfeed.com/2010/01/fox-r...orchwood-.html

Exclusive: Huge news for sci-fi fans: Fox is developing a stateside version of the U.K. hit series “Torchwood.”

The project is from BBC Worldwide Prods., with original series creator Russell Davies writing the script.

A more straight-faced spinoff of “Doctor Who,” “Torchwood” is about a covert group that investigates and fights alien activity. Two series aired domestically on BBC America as well as last year’s well reviewed stand-alone miniseries, “Children of Earth,” which broke all ratings records for the network. (If you're a fan of serious sci fi such as "Battlestar Galatica" and haven't seen "Children of Earth," rent it. You don't need to know anything about the series. And I know the previews for "Torchwood" can look silly. Trust me, it's terrific. Like "24" with aliens).

Unlike U.S. adaptations that have gone awry, “Torchwood” fans can take comfort that the original producing team is on board. In addition to Davies, exec producers include Davies’ producing partner Julie Gardner (former head of drama at BBC Wales for the show’s first season) and Jane Tranter (another BBC vet, now exec VP programming and production at BBC Worldwide Prods. in the U.S.).

Also, some of the current cast — most likely John Barrowman, who plays the immortal Capt. Jack Harkness — might star if Fox orders “Torchwood” to pilot.

As for the new show’s plot, the U.S. version will contain a global story line compared to the more localized sensibility of the first two BBC seasons.

Tranter might try to reboot “Doctor Who” for U.S. audiences while departing “Doctor Who” star David Tennant stars in NBC’s pilot “Rex Is Not Your Lawyer.” “Torchwood” (which is an anagram of “Doctor Who”) debuted in 2006 on BBC 3 and set ratings records, then was moved to BBC 1. Russell also reinvented “Doctor Who” in 2003 and was writer-creator of the series “Queer as Folk.”
Old 01-19-10, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Fox considering US versions of Torchwood and Doctor Who?

Old 01-19-10, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never watched either show, but I saw Children of Earth last year and loved it. I'd love to see this come about.
Old 01-19-10, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Why not a US Doctor Who. Im sick of seeing a time traveling, space traveling alien who spends 90% of his time in present day London
Old 01-19-10, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Those ought to be good for a few weeks of air time each.
Old 01-19-10, 10:08 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Not interested in a US version of Doctor Who, but I would support the Torchwood show if it took place in the same universe as the previous seasons and was not a reboot.
Old 01-19-10, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,390 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Not interested in a US version of Doctor Who, but I would support the Torchwood show if it took place in the same universe as the previous seasons and was not a reboot.
I'd support a Doctor Who in the same vein. On another forum, somebody half floated the idea of this new guy playing the young version of the first Doctor. Remember, we first saw the guy in his advanced years, there's tons of room for adventures in his youth.
Old 01-19-10, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Fox already has a Torchwood on their network. It's called Fringe.
Old 01-19-10, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I'd support a Doctor Who in the same vein. On another forum, somebody half floated the idea of this new guy playing the young version of the first Doctor. Remember, we first saw the guy in his advanced years, there's tons of room for adventures in his youth.
0.05% of the American public understand the Doctor Who mythology

This would DEFIANTLY be a re-boot
Old 01-19-10, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

I could be on board for Torchwood if this is just shifting both production and scope while keeping Capt Jack (at least initially) and then just giving background information.

However, I'd be VERY affraid of the demands that come with the US television networks and a 22 episode season.
Old 01-19-10, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mysteryfan
I never watched either show, but I saw Children of Earth last year and loved it. I'd love to see this come about.
Well I'm not sure how much of a "hit" it was with BBC essentially reducing its last season down to a mini-series from the previous seasons. Plus Children of Earth essentially ended the series IMHO.

Originally Posted by Meglos
Exactly. Why reinvent a wheel that already itself needs reinvention? Having Harkness (John Barrowman) return from his journey that starts at the end of Children of Earth and relaunch Torchwood on a new fault/rift somewhere in the States instead of in Cardiff sounds like the only way to go IMHO.
Old 01-19-10, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rfduncan

Exactly. Why reinvent a wheel that already itself needs reinvention? Having Harkness (John Barrowman) return from his journey that starts at the end of Children of Earth and relaunch Torchwood on a new fault/rift somewhere in the States instead of in Cardiff sounds like the only way to go IMHO.
Because the exposition required to bring a FOX level audience up to speed would be so large you might as well re-boot. Or do you think FOX only wants to draw in existing BBC America fans?
Old 01-19-10, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Because the exposition required to bring a FOX level audience up to speed would be so large you might as well re-boot. Or do you think FOX only wants to draw in existing BBC America fans?
They could launch the US Torchwood the same way they started the UK version: With Harkness and team already in operation, and an outsider introduced to the team and gradually assimilated. The specific backstory is initially left a mystery that is gradually fleshed out.

It'd be funny if for the US Doctor Who they brought back Paul McGann, and the series was the "lost adventures" of the Eighth Doctor.
Old 01-19-10, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Fox already tried an American version of Doctor Who in the '90s. It sucked, but the NuWho producers still accept it as canon.

I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of American Who spin-off -- it really makes no sense that aliens always go to Britain and never the US or even France or Germany. Maybe focus on the American branch of UNIT -- US soldiers fighting aliens in rural New England or something.
Old 01-19-10, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Doctor Who in America would just be wrong. The Doctor will always be British in my mind. If you got Tennant on board however for the American series, that could be interesting however. But if they try to put an American actor in the role it just won't SOUND right to me... if that makes any sense.

Torchwood would work however. I assume they would include Barrowman as he's already an American (and FANTASTIC and Harkness) and reboot the rest of the cast. I'd expect the gay vibe to still be there as well The biggest benefit would be a whole heckuva bigger canvas to work with along with a much bigger effects budget. I wonder if he'd still be immortal however... as that fact comes from a Doctor Who episode but plays a huge part in the series.
Old 01-19-10, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jay G.
They could launch the US Torchwood the same way they started the UK version: With Harkness and team already in operation, and an outsider introduced to the team and gradually assimilated. The specific backstory is initially left a mystery that is gradually fleshed out.
Exactly!
Old 01-19-10, 12:11 PM

Barrowman is actually Scottish, but he lived in the US as a child, hence the accent.
Old 01-19-10, 12:16 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Called it!
Old 01-19-10, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts

I've never bothered with Torchwood, mainly because I just haven't had the time to check it out, but
24 with aliens
now I might have to give it a chance.
Old 01-19-10, 12:26 PM

I would categorize "Children of Earth" as a sort-of "24 with aliens".
Old 01-19-10, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bet they make Jack straight in this one.
Old 01-19-10, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by riley_dude
If not, they'll make him witty and chaste.
Old 01-19-10, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Boo. I like the omni-sexuality of the character. Always great when he was with the Doctor:

Jack (to Chantho in "Utopia"): Captain Jack Harkness.
Doctor: STOP IT!
Jack: Can't I say hello to anyone?!
Old 01-19-10, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd be fine with it if Gwen comes along, but I doubt that would happen. It does raise the question of how far the US version would take all of the sexuality. I thought the first series of Torchwood spent too much time trying to shock audiences, and that the second series found the exact balance between the two.

I can see it now: "Why is Tom Cruise kissing a man on TV?"

Last edited by DGibFen; 01-19-10 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-19-10, 02:36 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by DGibFen
I can see it now: "Why is Tom Cruise kissing a man on TV?"
More like "Aha! I knew it!"

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.