Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-10, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Finally caught the show last night. Loved loved loved Conan's speech at the end. Nothing but class, and you could see him tearing up a bit. You can just tell how much he cares about the job.

I never understood the haters complaining about the jabs at NBC. That's what comedians do; make light of the current situation. It's sad that Conan had to explain it was fake on the show
Old 01-24-10, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Conan kept saying "We're going to have fun on television" this week that I wonder of Fun on Television with Conan O'Brien is a possible show title
I'm hoping for "The Late Shift with Conan O'Brien."
Old 01-24-10, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

So Leno comes back tomorrow night? That will be quite an awkward show. Will the old people that watch Leno even know he's coming back?
Old 01-24-10, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He isn't coming back until after the Olympics are over, March 1st I believe.
Old 01-24-10, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
I'm hoping for "The Late Shift with Conan O'Brien."
I like that title as well...
Old 01-24-10, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 01-24-10, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Everyone knows what to expect from a Will Ferrell appearance and Conan is no exception. He had Robin Williams on Thursday and he's the same deal. Conan knew what he was doing/getting.
Old 01-24-10, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by koops
He isn't coming back until after the Olympics are over, March 1st I believe.
The Jay Leno show is on the air until Feb 11. Mar 1 is when Jay returns to the Tonight Show:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jay_Leno_Show
Old 01-24-10, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Preliminary numbers say Conan's last Tonight Show beat everything in late night AND in primetime.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment...-1225823133706
Old 01-24-10, 05:47 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by resinrats
Of course, they could have just said it was Superbowl footage. It could have easily have been non-Superboowl footage.
I disagree. I think Conan used NBC money to build a time machine and travel two and a half weeks into the future to get hold of Superbowl footage. What a jerk to waste money like that!
Old 01-24-10, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SonOfAStu
Just watched the final show. The last part with Will Ferrell was one of the worst things I've ever seen on TV. Just a complete and total bastardization of a classic song. Not one thing funny about it. Oh what, did he pull out the "cow bell" gag, again? And that's supposed to be funny? What's with the making out with his woman on stage during the song? Was that supposed to be funny? Kicking the mic stand? Really? I have to seriously wonder about anyone who found any of that to be entertaining at all. Jay Leno is 100 times funnier on his worst night than Will Ferrell is on his best.

I love Conan, always will, but I seriously have to wonder how in the world he thought THAT would be a good note to end his Tonight Show run on. Just terrible.

If you ever need proof that this world is not just, remember that Chris Farley is dead and Will Ferrell is still alive.
I'm confused as shit. You're comparing Ricky Bobby to the Beverly Hills Ninja and one comes out on top?

As far as the song, who cares what they did with it.? Freebird is not some sacred song. That song gets bastardized and loses credit every time some drunk 56 year old screams it out at a concert. Will Ferrel isn't the greatest singer, but he's no worse than any other bar band singer covering a Lynryd Skynyrd song. I thought it was a great way to end the show with Conan jamming with his buds, having what looked like a great time.

Last edited by freshticles; 01-24-10 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-24-10, 11:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by stingermck
Freebird is exactly what happens when a bunch of friends get together to rock. Just having fun and goofing around. Just look at the joy on Conan's face as hes playing.
There isn't a person here who wouldn't show the same joy if they were getting over $30 million from their job not to show up to work anymore.
Old 01-24-10, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wm lopez
There isn't a person here who wouldn't show the same joy if they were getting over $30 million from their job not to show up to work anymore.
Conan could have left NBC five or six years ago when he was getting offers from ABC and FOX, and probably made more money (since he could have been a producer on a new show). This has never been about money, it's about The Tonight Show legacy - something that means a lot to Conan, but apparently not to Jay or the suits at NBC.
Old 01-24-10, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I got a 30m payout, I would leave my current gig and do something I love.

That's where Coco and I differ, however; for him those two are the same thing.
Old 01-24-10, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

What?
Can you repost that in regular english without a double, or is that a triple negative.
Old 01-25-10, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whotony
What?
Can you repost that in regular english without a double, or is that a triple negative.
Indeed. With a subjunctive counterfactual and an indeterminate singular they. The force is strong with this one. If only he had used "at work" instead of "to work."
Old 01-25-10, 05:47 AM

Howard Stern is on right now talking about how terrible Conan's last show was.

Everyone I know thought it was great, but he's ripping it to shreds.
Old 01-25-10, 06:13 AM

Why is Stern ripping it? Because Conan was classy and didn't rip into NBC like he could have? I think thats what made it great was that it was so upbeat and it wasn't a downer or lets trash talk NBC/Leno. Conan knows this isn't the end and he's going to be back on TV. Conan did great also with the time he had to prepare for the last show and you could tell he was happy with the outcome when he was jamming with everyone to Freebird.
Old 01-25-10, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Truffaut Fan

Howard also thinks that douche Artie Lange is a great contributor to his show. So you need to take Howard's opinions with a grain of salt.
Old 01-25-10, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by DonTHX1378
Why is Stern ripping it? Because Conan was classy and didn't rip into NBC like he could have? I think thats what made it great was that it was so upbeat and it wasn't a downer or lets trash talk NBC/Leno. Conan knows this isn't the end and he's going to be back on TV. Conan did great also with the time he had to prepare for the last show and you could tell he was happy with the outcome when he was jamming with everyone to Freebird.
He thought the "Freebird" segment was "horrible" and said Will Ferrell wasn't funny at all. He said Tom Hanks was boring and that Neil Young picked a terrible song to play. He said Conan was a pussy for saying such nice things about NBC after they've treated him like garbage.

He liked Thursday's show with Robin Williams and thought it was "really funny".
Old 01-25-10, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

He liked Thursday's show with Robin Williams and thought it was "really funny".
It's been a loooong time since "Robin Williams" and "really funny" have been in the same sentence.
Old 01-25-10, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

During Conan's "exit interview", his response to the question about ever working for NBC again was pretty telling. He essentially skipped it and said let's come back to that later (never did, obviously).

Conan could have left in a big ball of flames and burned a bridge. It seemed very personal to him, in terms of what was happening, while at the same time he handled it in a very businesslike & professional manner.

I don't know that when Jay retires that there isn't a run made at Conan. Not saying there will be for sure but I wouldn't be surprised. I think Conan blames Jay & not NBC.

For me it is about a 60/40 or 70/30 split with primarily being Jay's fault but I don't think NBC handled it well or made the right decision. They've allowed themselves to be held hostage by Jay for short-term gains.
Old 01-25-10, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Stern would have farted more

I can see how that would have been better
Old 01-25-10, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Stern is probably just mad because he hasn't been relevant since 1988.
Old 01-25-10, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Originally Posted by Nefarious
During Conan's "exit interview", his response to the question about ever working for NBC again was pretty telling. He essentially skipped it and said let's come back to that later (never did, obviously).

Conan could have left in a big ball of flames and burned a bridge. It seemed very personal to him, in terms of what was happening, while at the same time he handled it in a very businesslike & professional manner.

I don't know that when Jay retires that there isn't a run made at Conan. Not saying there will be for sure but I wouldn't be surprised. I think Conan blames Jay & not NBC.

For me it is about a 60/40 or 70/30 split with primarily being Jay's fault but I don't think NBC handled it well or made the right decision. They've allowed themselves to be held hostage by Jay for short-term gains.
Other point is that in 5 years Zucker, Embersol and other morons might be long gone. The corporate NBC will be owned by someone else, and Conan might deal

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.