Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-10, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
Re: NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Originally Posted by siddd5
The negotiations for an exit were completed before he did his show last night, and yet he's still enough of a spoiled brat to cost his bosses millions more by doing 'stunts' (band playing expensive 'music', etc.). I'm surprised NBC didnt wipe the music clean before airing.
Well, you can always do NBC a favor by not watching the remaining two Conan shows.
Old 01-21-10, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You Conan fanboys are utterly ridiculous. And like fanboys everywhere, you are utterly incapable of seeing a balanced point of view because you have your lips firmly stuck to Conan's bony ass.

First of all, let me say I was relieved to hear that the Bugatti bit was all a ploy. Had this been for real, this would have been one of the most cynical and classless exits from a show in TV history and would have shown Conan's true colors -- that of a petulant baby. Of course, going by the Coco fanboy posts in this thread, you all bought it hook, line and sinker and thought it was uproariously hilarious that Coco robbed NBC out of 1.5 mill.

Second of all, let me say that I think Leno has been the least objectionable in this whole fiasco. (Although that's not saying very much.)

Third of all, let me say that I think that Letterman has shown himself to be nothing but an utterly classless sore Loser. Yes, that capital L is there on purpose. (And FYI, I watch Letterman almost every night.)

And finally, let me say that I don't have a dog in this fight and I could give a fuck what these mega-millionaires all do with their careers. I just wanted to address the crusading Conan fanboys who seem to think that they're defending some poor down-trodden done-wrong-by freedom-fighting underdog by defending Coco. The guy's making more money in his exit deal than the combined annual income of all you fanboys. Get a fucking grip.
Old 01-21-10, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Nefarious
I don't have a problem with Leno taking shots at Dave, NBC, or even Conan if he wants to. His bits just aren't good and lack any real ingenuity.

I've always been more of a Dave guy and some of his pieces on this have been hilarious and others are lame.

Kimmel's show where he did "Jay" was pretty funny. His follow-up bits, outside of the 10 @ 10, have been pretty lame.

Conan has, hands down in my opinion, been the most creative and humorous of everyone. The craigslist stuff, the classic moments, car, music, etc. have all been great.
I can't get over Conan/Andy laughing their assets off at NBC already losing $200M on the winter olympics. It just doesn't get any more cutting or funny than that. !!
Old 01-21-10, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Flave
You Conan fanboys are utterly ridiculous. And like fanboys everywhere, you are utterly incapable of seeing a balanced point of view because you have your lips firmly stuck to Conan's bony ass.

First of all, let me say I was relieved to hear that the Bugatti bit was all a ploy. Had this been for real, this would have been one of the most cynical and classless exits from a show in TV history and would have shown Conan's true colors -- that of a petulant baby. Of course, going by the Coco fanboy posts in this thread, you all bought it hook, line and sinker and thought it was uproariously hilarious that Coco robbed NBC out of 1.5 mill.

Second of all, let me say that I think Leno has been the least objectionable in this whole fiasco. (Although that's not saying very much.)

Third of all, let me say that I think that Letterman has shown himself to be nothing but an utterly classless sore Loser. Yes, that capital L is there on purpose. (And FYI, I watch Letterman almost every night.)

And finally, let me say that I don't have a dog in this fight and I could give a fuck what these mega-millionaires all do with their careers. I just wanted to address the crusading Conan fanboys who seem to think that they're defending some poor down-trodden done-wrong-by freedom-fighting underdog by defending Coco. The guy's making more money in his exit deal than the combined annual income of all you fanboys. Get a fucking grip.
You do realize that most people, both in this thread and publicly, are not equating this situation to something earthshattering, right? People tend to get wrapped up in a discussion about a situation because someone they like is involved or something similar has happened to them in the past and then they run with it. Why? Because it's fun. It's fun to talk about, it's fun to think about, it's fun to theorize about and it's fun to joke about.

You're the one who seems to be taking this a bit more seriously than the rest of us.
Old 01-21-10, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Uh, you sound like you have a helluva lot more angst than any of the alleged "fanboys" you are calling out.

Nobody is feeling sorry for Conan financially. If it is his dream job, which is what he professes, then forgive us for feeling bad that he got screwed by the network which didn't even have the class to tell him first -- he heard it from the media that all this crap was going on in the first place.

It's good you were "relieved" to know that car bit was a joke. I shudder to think the state you'd be in if it had been real. Because you don't give a fuck and all...
Old 01-21-10, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that and using popular/expensive songs to clear for the band to play during the breaks.
Old 01-21-10, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

At least we can all agree that siddd5 is just trolling this thread.
Old 01-21-10, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nefarious
Nobody is feeling sorry for Conan financially. If it is his dream job, which is what he professes, then forgive us for feeling bad that he got screwed by the network which didn't even have the class to tell him first -- he heard it from the media that all this crap was going on in the first place.
Yeah, but he's rich, so obviously none of that matters.
Old 01-21-10, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad Dawg
Yeah, but he's rich, so obviously none of that matters.
Yep, none of us cared where NBC touched daddy because daddy got paid a lot of money for it.
DVD Talk Legend

how did you figure out it was all a ploy?
Old 01-21-10, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
how did you figure out it was all a ploy?
he's a math major
Old 01-21-10, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Originally Posted by Luds

He accepted being pushed over for Conan, stayed loyal to NBC (for whatever reason), got another show, and now is asked to take the Tonight show back since Conan wasn't winning the rating wars. How the hell is this his fault?
ABSOLUTELY NOT...HIS show at 10 was canceled because of poor ratings so now they had nothing to do with him and his huge salary so his only option was to put him in Conans job.
Old 01-21-10, 02:53 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
ABSOLUTELY NOT...HIS show at 10 was canceled because of poor ratings so now they had nothing to do with him and his huge salary so his only option was to put him in Conans job.
Leno's show was canceled because of the Affiliates - NBC was making money with Leno at 10pm but the affiliates couldn't handle the lack of lead-in to their news.
Old 01-21-10, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Leno's show was canceled because of the Affiliates - NBC was making money with Leno at 10pm but the affiliates couldn't handle the lack of lead-in to their news.
how is that different from poor ratings?
Old 01-21-10, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

I find it interesting that anyone, whether they found it funny or not, believed for any period of time after that sketch that Conan actually spent $1.5M of NBC's money. I think most of us laughed because the notion that Conan would stick it to NBC in such an absurd way was hilarious. Obviously it's based on the viewer's temporary suspension of disbelief. Conan clearly can't actually do that any more than he can actually sell the Tonight Show on Craigslist, but both are still very funny.
Old 01-21-10, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kefrank
I find it interesting that anyone, whether they found it funny or not, believed for any period of time after that sketch that Conan actually spent $1.5M of NBC's money. I think most of us laughed because the notion that Conan would stick it to NBC in such an absurd way was hilarious. Obviously it's based on the viewer's temporary suspension of disbelief. Conan clearly can't actually do that any more than he can actually sell the Tonight Show on Craigslist, but both are still very funny.
I think this is related to the fact that Leno actually has a following.
Old 01-21-10, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
And?!?...
Old 01-21-10, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

You first. Most of the thread has been pretty funny, but a few people keep trying to make a point that "Leno isn't the bad guy!" no shit, but that doesn't mean it isn't fun to blame him.

Pretty obvious the "most expensive skit" bit was a ploy but that doesn't make it any less hilarious. The reason Conan has his fans is because he has an absurd sense of humor that is occasionally borderline mean and it is enjoyable because of that, though people have different senses of humor. Quite frankly, I was expecting his decline when it was announced he'd take over The Tonight Show, as much as I like the guy he has a niche style.

I don't think that many people are that emotionally involved in this whole thing, it's a giant goofy situation that is a lot of fun to listen to a watch. It seems like you're taking the whole thing way too seriously. Everybody is aware these people have mega bucks and won't be hurt in the least bit by what happens. Doesn't mean people weren't screwed in the grand scheme, but they won't be hurting after the fact.

I do have to say Leno has looked like the worst of the group, the repeated jokes on Letterman's personal life (well joke, it's the same one over and over) are a bit tacky and he hasn't used the "Late Night War" to his benefit as the other 3 (4 if you count the Daily Show ("Both Obama and O'Brien have their beloved masturbating bears" )have -- and quite frankly, he has equal ammunition in the thing. But then, that's why people like Leno, he plays it safe.

As much as it sucks that Conan is quitting his show, this is the best Late Night Talk has been in years.

Last edited by RichC2; 01-21-10 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-21-10, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Originally Posted by siddd5
Why would Conan give his staff his OWN money on top of the 12 million NBC gave? There's no truth to that whatsoever. We make Conan out to be this philanthropist with his staff when its simply not true.

Didn't Letterman's company pay his staff during one of the Writer's Strikes? Why is this so hard to believe?
Old 01-21-10, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess it is assumed Conan will go to Fox. Going to ABC will leave him again after midnight or result in Nightline, Kimmel, & whomever is after Kimmel getting moved (which would be bad press for Conan for doing to them what was done to him)

A problem I can see with Fox is that they don't have an established late night show. Currently the 11:30 spot is used for syndicated/rerun shows, which from what I've heard get $$$ for the affiliates. Some might not want to stop showing syndicated shows to put on Conan's show.

I can see them starting at 11:30 instead of 11:35 in hopes of catching some viewers who are ready for comedy & hope they don't switch or NBC/CBS at 11:35. By 11:30, most of the 'important' local news is over so people might be more willing to not see the weather recap, special interest piece or sports sections. Of course, I could see a side effect of this tactic of NBC/CBS/ABC moving their late night shows to 11:30.
Old 01-21-10, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I think they would go with 11 instead of 11:30 anyway. Fox doesn't have a 10 pm broadcast hour, and as such, that is reserved for local news. There's no reason to go to Local News, show a 30 minute syndicated show and then go into late night. Odds are not all markets will pick his show up immediately if he does move to Fox.
Old 01-21-10, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by resinrats
I guess it is assumed Conan will go to Fox. Going to ABC will leave him again after midnight or result in Nightline, Kimmel, & whomever is after Kimmel getting moved (which would be bad press for Conan for doing to them what was done to him)

A problem I can see with Fox is that they don't have an established late night show. Currently the 11:30 spot is used for syndicated/rerun shows, which from what I've heard get $$$ for the affiliates. Some might not want to stop showing syndicated shows to put on Conan's show.

I can see them starting at 11:30 instead of 11:35 in hopes of catching some viewers who are ready for comedy & hope they don't switch or NBC/CBS at 11:35. By 11:30, most of the 'important' local news is over so people might be more willing to not see the weather recap, special interest piece or sports sections. Of course, I could see a side effect of this tactic of NBC/CBS/ABC moving their late night shows to 11:30.
Our local Fox station runs news from 10-11. Do other Fox stations run syndicated stuff from 10-11 and then do news at 11?
Old 01-21-10, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the plan is for Conan at 11pm on FOX (local news is usually 10-11pm on FOX). FOX can clear 40% of the country right away from O&O's, but they'll have to figure out how to convince the others who will make less money with Conan than strip syndicated shows.
Old 01-21-10, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

January 21, 2010
NBC Q&A: Leno's 'Tonight' will be a 'hybrid'; Conan exit 'cost of doing business'

With Conan O'Brien departing NBC and Jay Leno resuming control of "The Tonight Show," NBC Universal TV entertainment chairman Jeff Gaspin talked to The Hollywood Reporter about the shake-up and what happens next:

THR: What is Jay Leno's "Tonight Show" going to be like -- his previous "Tonight" or "The Jay Leno Show"? Will he still have his contributors? The race track?

Gaspin: [Executive producer] Debbie Vickers and Jay are working on that now. My guess is it will be a hybrid. They're going to make some alterations to the studio to make it more intimate. There's elements of the current show they like, and there's elements from "The Tonight Show" they'd like to bring back. I would be surprised if they didn't bring back the desk and a couch, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a new desk and couch.

THR: Are you concerned that Leno's popularity may have suffered? Do you expect him to pull the same numbers on "Tonight" that he had before all this?

Gaspin: I think Leno will be competitive at 11:35 p.m., I think his fan base is very strong and they will welcome him back. I don't think they're paying nearly as much attention to what's going on as we are.

THR: You tried to keep both, but you had to make a choice between keeping Jay Leno and Conan O'Brien. What makes Leno the better fit for NBC?

Gaspin: I did want to keep both. But if you look at the business of it as a practical matter, when I knew I was going to have to make a change at 10 p.m., I looked at the facts. "The Tonight Show With Conan O'Brien" was [anticipated] to lose many millions of dollars at 11:35 p.m. If you looked at the ratings, affiliates were down 14%, "The Tonight Show" was down 49% -- this is year-to-year for full fourth quarter. As a practical matter, it made sense to try and come up with some other formula for late-night.

THR: What do you think about Conan's ratings climbing right as he's going out the door? Is it just sentiment and buzz, or is it a little worrisome?

Gaspin: I would look at David Letterman's ratings currently. He had a huge pop during his scandal. If you look at his ratings now, they're below where they were before his scandal.

THR: Is there a lesson to be learned by this?

Gaspin: There's always lessons to be learned, whether you do things right or wrong. Based on the information I was working with, I came up with a fair and responsible compromise. I wanted to keep both, maybe I was too optimistic.

THR: You guys raised Conan. Now his profile's gone up, his ratings are up, you've given him a bunch of money, and now he's going into the marketplace. What are your feelings about what's transpired here ...

Gaspin: That is just the cost of doing business in television and film. That is one of the Shakespearean story lines that happen over and over in television.

THR: Between Conan, Letterman, Leno, the Golden Globes, it seems like you can't turn on the TV without hearing an NBC joke. Branding-wise, how do you bounce back from that?

Gaspin: I think those jokes are waning very quickly. You're actually seeing backlash against those jokes on air. People are saying, "We have a horrendous situation in Haiti, let's put this thing in perspective." Controversies and scandals burn red hot for a short period of time. And then they are extinguished. I expect the same thing will happen here.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.