Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Old 03-02-13, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts
Re: NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Originally Posted by wearetheborg
Whats Louie and which episode was this?
Louie is a show on FX staring Louis C.K. The most recent season had a story arc over three episodes where, after guesting on Leno, Louie auditions to replace Letterman on the Late Show. Jay Leno calls Louie to talk about the perils of taking the job.

Leno appears in the first and second episodes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...n_3_.282012.29

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuwg61w9QiY
Old 03-02-13, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

Ha. That was the David Lynch episode too. You should seek it out.

Basically, Leno gives Louie some advice on the phone - while Louie is trying to take over Late Night if Letterman's contract negotiations fail. He tells Louie to be careful because when you're doing a nightly show, you lose your edge and become the boring bland guy.
Old 03-02-13, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Whats Louie and which episode was this?
There's a great 3 episode arc of the show about Louie being groomed as Letterman's replacement, co-starring David Lynch.

Oh two other people already replied

Louie is a really interesting 30 minute sitcom on FX, but it's kind of a downer comedy. The first two seasons are on Netflix streaming, the episodes you're looking for are:

Season 3 Episodes 10, 11 and 12 (Titled: Late Show Pt 1, 2 and 3)

Last edited by RichC2; 03-02-13 at 10:17 PM.
Old 03-02-13, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks guys, will check it out!
Old 03-03-13, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,073 Likes on 773 Posts

AFAIK this is what happened, back in 2004-ish, NBC said to him "we dont think you will be good enough 4-5 years from now on, hence we are deciding to replace you with Conan". Unfair of NBC, but this was the only way to keep Conan. Of course Leno didnt like this. When 2009 came, Leno was still going strong, and naturally he wanted to continue his thing, perhaps on another network. And NBC didnt want that. And then the whole fiasco.

What we had were two very talented, and very driven people who wanted the 1135 spot. NBC could only keep one. NBC first screwed Leno by unfairly firing him from the 1135 show, and then screwed Conan big time, by reneging on their promise to give him the 1135 show.

The blame is 95% NBC and 5% Leno.
I feel like I beat this horse to death, and then to a pulp, a couple years ago, but I have to set you straight.

Jay Leno, Conan O'Brien and NBC made a contractual agreement in 2004.
One can argue about which party benefited the most from that agreement, but it was in fact a legal contract that all the parties entered into voluntarily.

One thing is inarguable, Jay Leno had the power. For years, his status as the #1 star in late night was uncontested. If (in 2004) Jay Leno had said "I will not agree to give up the Tonight Show in five years" that would have been the end of it. NBC was not going to fire him or force him out. NBC would have had no choice but to let Conan leave the network, if he chose to do so.

But for the sake of argument, let's say that Jay agreed (in 2004) to give up daily television (in 2009) because that's how he thought he would feel in 2009.

By 2008, when Conan O'Brien and all his employees and all their families were making their plans to make a huge upheaval in their lives, Jay knew he didn't want to quit daily television in general, and The Tonight Show in particular. [Jay has admitted this is true.]
Jay Leno was still #1 in late night, and perhaps more popular than ever. All he had to do was be honest with NBC and tell them he didn't want to stop doing The Tonight Show. All the parties involved would have had different choices and options at their disposal, but the simple truth is: NBC would not have forced Jay Leno to give up The Tonight Show.

Jay Leno likes to claim that he is just an employee who did what his bosses told him to do, but that is a complete and utter lie. (And that phoniness is part of the reason so many people dislike him.)
He is the star. He is the show. The audience is his. The ratings are his. The profits are because of him. He holds the cards, and what he says goes.
Technically, he may work for NBC, but in reality all those NBC executives work for him.

Conan might have decided to stay at 12:35, or more likely he would have gone somewhere else, but everything that DID HAPPEN happened the way it did because Jay Leno decided it would be that way.
Old 03-03-13, 07:00 PM

^ Interesting, didnt know that!!!!
Old 03-06-13, 01:49 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not just give the show to Seth Meyers or Dana Carvey since apparently they have holding deals with the network. For some reason I doubt this happens.

You probably wake up to Howard Stern — but do you want to go to sleep with him, too?

Over the weekend, word broke that Jay Leno is being pushed out to make room for the younger Jimmy Fallon — but sources close to the radio man tell The Post that Stern, in turn, is being “groomed” by NBC as the new Fallon.

Leno’s contract runs out on the “Tonight Show” in 2014, and he’s on the fast track out, despite his great ratings.
http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainmen...AdNQ8RvXN2Y6pN
Old 03-06-13, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts

I doubt that's true about Stern. He still has 3 more years on his Sirius deal. The way he talks about how much work it is for AGT, I can't see him doing a daily show. Plus at his age, he's only got about 10 years left, unless he somehow becomes Regis.
Old 03-06-13, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Even though Nbc is doing real bad the silver lining for them is the microwave division is strong as ever.
Old 03-06-13, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts

I'll be polite and make this like it never happened.

Last edited by majorjoe23; 03-07-13 at 06:47 AM.
Old 03-06-13, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
Why not just give the show to Seth Meyers or Dana Carvey since apparently they have holding deals with the network. For some reason I doubt this happens.

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainmen...AdNQ8RvXN2Y6pN
Stern and Carvey are fucking ancient. Meyers would seem to me to be the obvious (if a bit unfortunate) option.
Old 03-06-13, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
30 Rock joke.
Did he really delete his post?
Old 03-06-13, 11:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RUSF18
Did he really delete his post?
I deleted it literally 2 seconds after I made it, since I assumed it must've been a joke (never seen 30 rock). You guys work fast.
Old 03-07-13, 08:10 AM

Anyone watch Jenna Elfman on Conan? Very dirty.
Old 03-20-13, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts

NBCU Debates Timing of Jimmy Fallon's 'Tonight Show' Debut
1:14 PM PDT 3/20/2013 by Kim Masters

It has become clear that Jimmy Fallon is going to become the host of The Tonight Show, but sources say an internal debate among key players is underway regarding the timing.

According to these sources, some top executives at NBCUniversal are leaning toward a February launch to take advantage of the promotional platform of the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia. Others, including Late Night executive producer Lorne Michaels, are said to have concerns about rushing the transition.

Moving more quickly not only would provide a high-profile launch for Fallon but effectively would keep Tonight Show host Jay Leno from moving to a rival network until his contract expires in September 2014.

As The Hollywood Reporter first reported, an announcement is expected to be made at the May upfront presentation to advertisers. With Fallon expected to launch as host in September 2014, Tonight will move from Los Angeles to New York, according to sources.

In a Fallon cover story for the April issue of GQ, Michaels confirmed that a shift is underway: "I'm not allowed to say it -- yet. But I think there's an inevitability to it. He's the closest to [Johnny] Carson that I've seen of this generation."

NBC Entertainment chairman Bob Greenblatt and his late night and alternative chief Paul Telegdy are said to be actively looking for a Fallon replacement at 12:35 a.m. One possibility is another Michaels protege, Seth Meyers of Saturday Night Live.

The latest news comes as Leno continues to take jabs at NBC execs including Greenblatt, who reportedly sent Leno an email to back-off on the ridicule. On Monday’s show, Leno quipped during his monologue: "You know the whole legend of St. Patrick, right? St. Patrick drove all the snakes out of Ireland -- and then they came to the United States and became NBC executives. It's a fascinating story."

On Tuesday, he made another joke: "Did you hear about this? A 28-year-old woman from Serbia has a rare brain condition where she sees everything upside down. The good news? She's now been given a job at the White House as President Obama's economic adviser. Isn't that crazy? It's unbelievable. She sees everything upside down. In fact, she thinks NBC is at the top of the ratings."

The exchange between Greenblatt and Leno is said to have occurred before THR reported March 1 that NBC was discussing an exit plan for Leno. NBC has denied the report.

NBC confirms that it is upgrading Fallon's studio in New York as part of a larger renovation of the building but declines further comment.
Old 03-20-13, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Eric Cartman says Jay Leno's tears are delicious.
Old 03-20-13, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts

Nice to finally see Jay getting absolutely stabbed in the back by management, after they've sucked his dick for so many years.
Old 03-20-13, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts

What rival network would take Jay? ABC? I would think he has nowhere else to go on network tv.
Old 03-20-13, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The obvious answer is the 10:00p slot on TBS.
Old 03-20-13, 08:55 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Originally Posted by atxbomber
The obvious answer is the 10:00p slot on TBS.
Could you imagine? Theres no way in hell he'd do it though.
Old 03-20-13, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If Fallon starts off strong and there doesn't appear to be much of a place in the market for him, Jay might be shit out of luck. I don't see ABC dumping Kimmel for him. CBS is the house Dave built. I reason the options could come down to: Fox who didn't want Conan the guy who fits better with their demo, FX who I think would be given pause by Conan on TBS and the numbers he's doing plus again Jay doesn't fit the demo, or crazy as it sounds perhaps Netflix would throw money at him to have 150 nights a year with a new episode available for steaming at 10:45 PM EST. Maybe some dark horse like TVLand would pop up. I think Jay's options are lacking to say the least.
Old 03-20-13, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorne
He's the closest to [Johnny] Carson that I've seen of this generation.

And I'm not even a fan of Carson's.
Old 03-20-13, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't really have a problem with Lorne's statement. Who of his generation is closer?
Old 03-20-13, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like Jimmy Fallon, but the version of him on his show is just too annoying. He can't carry an interview, every joke is exactly the same, he fanboys out at every turn. "Or, as NBC execs put it: he's perfect!"

I still watch every episode, but I fast forward about half of it every time. I don't know why I still bother. Once he moves on to the Tonight Show slot, I know I'll be done with it. I look forward to who they bring into Late Night to replace him (maybe Seth Meyers?!), but no matter what I'm perfectly happy with Craig, Conan, Stewart, and Colbert for my daily needs.
Old 03-20-13, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

If the Tonight Show moves to New York, probably means that everyone on Jay's staff in Burbank will get laid off and Fallon's staff will take their jobs.

Nice work NBC!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.